post #61 of 8561 Old 02-04-2007, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLIVE View Post

I'd be OK with that, if they give us movies that respect OAR, have Dolby 5.1, etc.

I'm fairly satisfied with the lineup now, adding the HDNET channels would be my next choice. They also need to keep the quality high and not start lowering bitrates or start over-compressing.

I'm not satisfied w/the line up.. With all the BS between Comcast and Cuban (even though right now I do have HDNEt and HDNmovies), and the snails pace to roll out new channels, it doesn't give me warm and fuzzies. I want my SD channels replaced by HD (which is what is going to happen as the years go on anway). Where is Food HD? where is Nat Geo HD? where is A&E HD?

Comcast is stil treating HD as if it is a special "tier" of service, when in reality the HD channels will eventually be the norm. It sounds to me like Comcast wants to cater their HD "tier" to those who will buy ondemand movies and special content. Sorry, but I prefer TV shows & local sports (no complaint on the sports coverage) over movies and I guess I don't fall into their properl demographic.

Seriously though, i may wind up having D* or E* plus comcast to get what I want..

-t
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 8561 Old 02-04-2007, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Yesterday was the first day I tried to watch HD channels since they added the new channel. It may be a coincidence, but most, if not all, of my HD is now slightly "studdering" - non-fluid motion. It's really annoying. The only other time I've seen this was when I power cycled my stb and the studdered a bit until the guide was completely downloaded. I haven't lost power - the box has not been restarted. Could be an issue with my loop, but it seems awful fishy that it just started happening. Anybody else notice this? Figures this would happen just before the game tonight.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #63 of 8561 Old 02-04-2007, 11:11 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwms View Post

I'm not satisfied w/the line up.. With all the BS between Comcast and Cuban (even though right now I do have HDNEt and HDNmovies), and the snails pace to roll out new channels, it doesn't give me warm and fuzzies. I want my SD channels replaced by HD (which is what is going to happen as the years go on anway). Where is Food HD? where is Nat Geo HD? where is A&E HD?

Comcast is stil treating HD as if it is a special "tier" of service, when in reality the HD channels will eventually be the norm. It sounds to me like Comcast wants to cater their HD "tier" to those who will buy ondemand movies and special content. Sorry, but I prefer TV shows & local sports (no complaint on the sports coverage) over movies and I guess I don't fall into their properl demographic.

Seriously though, i may wind up having D* or E* plus comcast to get what I want..

-t

We DO have Nat Geo HD on 821 now, were you aware of that?
post #64 of 8561 Old 02-04-2007, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesJim View Post

We DO have Nat Geo HD on 821 now, were you aware of that?

Not here in Southern NH.. although certain websites show us having the channel it has yet to show up. They also show us having WGBH HD on 702, but no go there either..

All of our HDs are in the 700s, so we could be pending a move to the 800s..
post #65 of 8561 Old 02-04-2007, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgpt6 View Post

see no reason why Comcast cant go to from 70 analog channels down to 40-45 analog channels.

Because that would require moving 25-30 channels from basic or enhanced cable up to the digital tier. I record shows on Sci-Fi, HGTV, Food Network, USA, FX, TNT and several other analog channels using my existing equipment (no cable box) and so if any of them were moved up to the digital tier, I'd have to pay more money and deal with the complexities of connecting each of my analog DVRs up to a STB including setting up IR blasters, which aren't very reliable, so my overall service experience may suffer. I wouldn't begrudge Comcast if they did that -- I'd pay the price and deal with it without malice -- but I suspect that many customers might be upset about that.
post #66 of 8561 Old 02-04-2007, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Are all 70 analog channels ,very popular? Maybe 20 to 25 is perhaps to many to go to digital from analog, BUT there must been 10 to 12 on analog that could go to digital without too much distress to many viewers. lets face it after Feb 2009 , Comcast could require a box to view TV after the broadcast stations are digital only after the analog turn-off.The goverment will provide converter boxes after the Feb 2009 turn off of analog to people without cable and only NTSC analog Tvs at home.Comcast might be smart to start tranistioning channels to digital now ,as Feb 2009 is only 2 years away.
post #67 of 8561 Old 02-04-2007, 12:32 PM

Quote:

The goverment will provide converter boxes after the Feb 2009 turn off of analog to people without cable and only NTSC analog Tvs at home.Comcast might be smart to start tranistioning channels to digital now ,as Feb 2009 is only 2 years away.

According to this article, the government is now only going to cover part of the cost of a digital converter box. People will probably be up in arms when they face payment for the boxes.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6413194.html
post #68 of 8561 Old 02-04-2007, 12:53 PM

Comcast's HD line-up is still pretty good. We could still use a couple more channels and BW shouldn't be an issue if we drop 838. They have sports covered better than anyone else but I would like more movies and HDnet would be a no brainer for that. On-Demand for HD is a little expensive ( $5.99) and if they dropped it at least a $1, I would be a happy camper and buy more movies. When you consider PQ were not doing too bad with the # of channels we have, after all I rather have quality over quantity.
post #69 of 8561 Old 02-04-2007, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
Quote:

Well, sure I want everything in HD too. When I said I was satisfied, I meant I don't see any major holes in the channels that are available. As noted, we do have National Geo, and from what I've read, A&E HD has very little HD content. I'd like more channels, but would rather have more good HD content.

Quote:

Comcast is stil treating HD as if it is a special "tier" of service, when in reality the HD channels will eventually be the norm.

Well, so far they aren't pricing it that way, at least.
post #70 of 8561 Old 02-05-2007, 03:34 AM

Quote:

Are all 70 analog channels ,very popular? Maybe 20 to 25 is perhaps to many to go to digital from analog, BUT there must been 10 to 12 on analog that could go to digital without too much distress to many viewers.

Who makes the choice? I listed the channels I care about. I bet if I asked my neighbors on on e side, they'd add A&E, AMC, Bravo, Court TV, Lifetime, Fox News, Bloomberg and CNBC. If I asked my neighbors on the other side, they'd add Disney, Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, Hallmark, TVLand, ABC Family, Comedy Central, CNN, TWC. Joe, across the street would add ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN Classic, NESN, Fox Sports, and Speed. And I left E!, Travel Channel and MSNBC, off my list by mistake. And my wife would kill me if she lost Animal Planet. And there are 16 must-carry channels. I think there are may be 3 or 4 channels currently on analog that only a few people would care about losing.

If you want to accomplish something along these lines, get laws passed that prohibit municipalities from requiring their three access channels to be on analog, and get must-carry overturned.

Quote:

lets face it after Feb 2009 , Comcast could require a box to view TV after the broadcast stations are digital only after the analog turn-off.

Either that or provide them as in-the-clear QAM, but I understand what you're saying. However, I don't think there is any significance to the February 2009 date for Comcast: They can make that change-over right now, if the municipal agreements would allow it, and there is nothing that happens in February 2009 that suddenly makes it different for Comcast. February 2009 is a date that is just meaningful for OTA, not for cable.

Comcast's challenge isn't some arbitrary date, but satisfying customers who have expectations that their current equipment will work. If Comcast did as you suggest, they'd very likely lose a lot of customers to satellite, since if they're going to have to get a box anyway, why not switch providers? especially since these customers will be irrationally angry at Comcast for taking away something...

Quote:

The goverment will provide converter boxes after the Feb 2009 turn off of analog to people without cable and only NTSC analog Tvs at home.

Wrong, and wrong. The government may provide coupons for discounts on ATSC converters, and only one per household. So we're still looking at a lot of people having to spend money to put a box on every existing set in their home, dealing with the bother of doing so, and even then there is no reason to think these boxes will convert QAM.
post #71 of 8561 Old 02-05-2007, 03:51 AM

Quote:

Are all 70 analog channels ,very popular? Maybe 20 to 25 is perhaps to many to go to digital from analog, BUT there must been 10 to 12 on analog that could go to digital without too much distress to many viewers. lets face it after Feb 2009 , Comcast could require a box to view TV after the broadcast stations are digital only after the analog turn-off.The goverment will provide converter boxes after the Feb 2009 turn off of analog to people without cable and only NTSC analog Tvs at home.Comcast might be smart to start tranistioning channels to digital now ,as Feb 2009 is only 2 years away.

The reality is this...the cable operators will offer analog TV until around 2015, just a select amount. This will be a selling point for their service. If a subscriber cannot use their NTSC TV in the garage going cable direct with service from this MSO, they will go to another MSO who does offer analog TV. There is no mandate for the cable operators to stop offering analog service. There is just a need to manage the bandwidth used to transport channels in the best possible way, to offer products that subscribers will want and provide it to the subscriber in a way that keeps that subscriber from becoming churn.
post #72 of 8561 Old 02-05-2007, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

Who makes the choice? I listed the channels I care about. I bet if I asked my neighbors on on e side, they'd add A&E, AMC, Bravo, Court TV, Lifetime, Fox News, Bloomberg and CNBC. If I asked my neighbors on the other side, they'd add Disney, Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, Hallmark, TVLand, ABC Family, Comedy Central, CNN, TWC. Joe, across the street would add ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN Classic, NESN, Fox Sports, and Speed. And I left E!, Travel Channel and MSNBC, off my list by mistake. And my wife would kill me if she lost Animal Planet. And there are 16 must-carry channels. I think there are may be 3 or 4 channels currently on analog that only a few people would care about losing.

If you want to accomplish something along these lines, get laws passed that prohibit municipalities from requiring their three access channels to be on analog, and get must-carry overturned.

Either that or provide them as in-the-clear QAM, but I understand what you're saying. However, I don't think there is any significance to the February 2009 date for Comcast: They can make that change-over right now, if the municipal agreements would allow it, and there is nothing that happens in February 2009 that suddenly makes it different for Comcast. February 2009 is a date that is just meaningful for OTA, not for cable.

Comcast's challenge isn't some arbitrary date, but satisfying customers who have expectations that their current equipment will work. If Comcast did as you suggest, they'd very likely lose a lot of customers to satellite, since if they're going to have to get a box anyway, why not switch providers? especially since these customers will be irrationally angry at Comcast for taking away something...

Wrong, and wrong. The government may provide coupons for discounts on ATSC converters, and only one per household. So we're still looking at a lot of people having to spend money to put a box on every existing set in their home, dealing with the bother of doing so, and even then there is no reason to think these boxes will convert QAM.

PEG Channels are not mandated to be made available via analog tier...that is a choice on part of the service operator and their franchise coordinator. Must Carry is just that, must carry. End of story, it'll NEVER change. Even DirecTV has to comply with must carry, if you choose to subscribe to it. Nontheless, you're not gonna get ABC New York as you primary ABC if you live in Boston...that's is what must carry is about, not what channels to carry such as PEG's.
post #73 of 8561 Old 02-05-2007, 04:07 AM

Quote:

Comcast has to move analog channels to digital to free up the bandwidth to add more HD channels while keeping the same bitrates. see no reason why Comcast cant go to from 70 analog channels down to 40-45 analog channels. This would be enough for all local brodacast, goverment , and the most popular cable chnnles to remain on the analog tier , and free up over 250 MHz of space for HD and more SD channels.

Franchise agreement...violation=class action lawsuit=bad publicity. You should be happy that Comcast is doing all they can to offer more services, and complying with their legacy agreements.
post #74 of 8561 Old 02-05-2007, 04:21 AM

Quote:

Check out this article

Comcast: 'We're Not Worried About DIRECTV HDTV'
http://www.tvpredictions.com/burke020107.htm

Here is a snippet:
--------------------
The cable operator now offers less than 20 national high-def networks in most markets. But Burke told Wall Street analysts that Comcast will not try to match DIRECTV's HD lineup which is expected to include a large number of variety channels.

"We're not going to radically change our game plan," he said in an investors conference call. "We think we offer a superior HD experience."

Burke instead said Comcast will focus more on high-def movies, sports and local channels, which he said are most popular among his subscribers.
----------------------

When will Comcast wake up? They obviously don't get the fact that HD is here to stay and "I want my HDTV" is what people are saying!

Grrrrrr...

-t

If you overload your shopping cart are you actually gonna end up with all those Cheerios when you arrive home? Or will they drop off in the parking lot along the way? Same thing with stuffing a 700MHz antenna pipe. Think about it...52MHz-750MHz: analog TV - 500MHz, Digital domain - 250MHz, stuff in digital phone, digital voice (VOIP), HSD, VOD and monitoring signals. Whats leftover...squat, ya ever heard of Jack Schitt (cousin of Ida Neau). You should be praising the magicians at Comcast, they're not working with a lot...but you're getting 9Mbps and also HD and VOD...along with a digital simulcast of mustcarry and expanded basic.
post #75 of 8561 Old 02-05-2007, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motortree View Post

If you overload your shopping cart are you actually gonna end up with all those Cheerios when you arrive home? Or will they drop off in the parking lot along the way? Same thing with stuffing a 700MHz antenna pipe. Think about it...52MHz-750MHz: analog TV - 500MHz, Digital domain - 250MHz, stuff in digital phone, digital voice (VOIP), HSD, VOD and monitoring signals. Whats leftover...squat, ya ever heard of Jack Schitt (cousin of Ida Neau). You should be praising the magicians at Comcast, they're not working with a lot...but you're getting 9Mbps and also HD and VOD...along with a digital simulcast of mustcarry and expanded basic.

Sorry, I'm but I don't subscribe to VOIP with comcast, VOD is useless for our household viewing habits, and what other marketing gizmos comcast can stuff in the pipe is useless to me. I don't need any of their other fancy services, i want internet and decent tv reception & programming.

Heck they can't even deliver a decent SD picture (both analog and digital) on a handful of local channels to my house, what would make me believe that things will get better in the future. Understood the pipe is overloaded, but its overloaded with JUNK channels that don't fit into my needs. I'd rather see services like VOD ann GOTuit channels optional, freeing up bandwith for what I want the service for.

You are right, Comcast doesn't have a lot of room in the pipe, but they are stuffing it with things THEY THINK I want/need. Hoping on the off chance that I may just spend $3.95 on a movie. I'll trade that ability for increased channels and QOS anyday.

-t
post #76 of 8561 Old 02-05-2007, 07:46 AM

Regarding dropping analog channels: Before we got our HDTV, we were analog subscribers. We both did not want a cable box, and we got all the channels we wanted. If Comcast started dropping analog channels, I would have been royally pissed. The only way I could see to do this without angering customers would be to give the digital box for free with the Enhanced service.
post #77 of 8561 Old 02-05-2007, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

I am an HD customer. I have two HD cable boxes (one DVR, one not). I have a Series 3 TiVo. I have two EyeTV-500 HD tuners for my Macs.

I would be sorely pissed if they dropped all the analog channels because for all of that hardware, I still appreciate that my old TV sets, as well as my Series 2 TiVos can directly tune the cable without need for a cable box. Aside from reducing the number of cable boxes I need, it also reduces the number of times the TiVo doesn't successfully change the box's channel (resulting in a recording of the wrong thing).

As wonderful as HD is, I still find utility in the analog service that comcast provides, and until most new consumer devices are capable of tuning the cable in similar fashion (without an external box), I'll continue to enjoy the analog service.

Everyone sucks more than everyone else
host of the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #78 of 8561 Old 02-05-2007, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Not here in Southern NH.. although certain websites show us having the channel it has yet to show up. They also show us having WGBH HD on 702, but no go there either..

All of our HDs are in the 700s, so we could be pending a move to the 800s..

That's strange. Nashua is like the rest of Comcast NE with HD in the 800s. And we do get NG-HD on 821.

BTW They just added a new sports channel on 848. Not sure if it's the Golf channel since that's what was mainly being shown over the weekend, but they continue to add to the lineup.

Toshiba 62MX195 1080p DLP w/ Cablecard
Comcast Cable of New England
post #79 of 8561 Old 02-05-2007, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magredc5 View Post

That's strange. Nashua is like the rest of Comcast NE with HD in the 800s. And we do get NG-HD on 821.

BTW They just added a new sports channel on 848. Not sure if it's the Golf channel since that's what was mainly being shown over the weekend, but they continue to add to the lineup.

Agree its strange, but we are Ex-Adelphia.. and still have HDNet and such, so not sure if Comcast has full xferred us over yet..

-t
post #80 of 8561 Old 02-05-2007, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When combining OCAP and MoCA, what you will see is a standards compliant approach to integrating the technologial furnishings you own and those furnishings which are yet to be developed. OCAP's use of MoCA as a return path to a service provider enables true, flexible and standard two way communication for continued interactivity and control over both your furnishings and the content for which you subscribe. The bottom line is this, OCAP will allow you to receive the 'pay for' content wherever you want to see it (cable box, computer, refrigerator screen while you're eating you fruit loops) and MoCA will provide that open standards delivery path to communicate with the MSO and the rest of the world. Who ever thought their refrigerator would automatically place a peapod order every Friday night at 11:30 using cable and a shopping list stored in their SD card. Check out your available beer in your fridge before you leave work using MoCA to you fridge's web server.

I do not believe MOCA will be the return path method, its primary used for in-home networking between RF equiped devices. The standards based return path will be DSG which in an extention of DOCSIS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #81 of 8561 Old 02-05-2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozens View Post

I do not believe MOCA will be the return path method, its primary used for in-home networking between RF equiped devices. The standards based return path will be DSG which in an extention of DOCSIS.

Thank you for the correction, MoCA is just the delivery path for DSG in those systems that employ the technology.
post #82 of 8561 Old 02-05-2007, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you for the correction, MoCA is just the delivery path for DSG in those systems that employ the technology.

To be a littler clearer. MoCA is not a CableLabs standard and DOCSIS/DSG is so, cable MSOs will use it for the upstream. I believe FIOS MSOs will use MoCA for upstream.

post #83 of 8561 Old 02-05-2007, 01:17 PM

Quote:

Sorry, I'm but I don't subscribe to VOIP with comcast, VOD is useless for our household viewing habits, and what other marketing gizmos comcast can stuff in the pipe is useless to me. I don't need any of their other fancy services, i want internet and decent tv reception & programming.

Heck they can't even deliver a decent SD picture (both analog and digital) on a handful of local channels to my house, what would make me believe that things will get better in the future. Understood the pipe is overloaded, but its overloaded with JUNK channels that don't fit into my needs. I'd rather see services like VOD ann GOTuit channels optional, freeing up bandwith for what I want the service for.

You are right, Comcast doesn't have a lot of room in the pipe, but they are stuffing it with things THEY THINK I want/need. Hoping on the off chance that I may just spend $3.95 on a movie. I'll trade that ability for increased channels and QOS anyday.

-t

You need to factor in the account that you are on a former Adelphia system. A system that was in bankruptcy until TW and Comcast came along and bought it all up. This thread was primarily devoted to the original Comcast formerly AT&T Broadband formerly MediaOne systems in SNH and MA. Give Comcast time to engineer and design and spend the money to get the Adelphia systems up to the same class as their existing systems.

And while VOD and VOIP aren't your cup of tea... there are alot more tea drinkers out there who want VOD. Comcast (and any other MSO for that matter) is going to cater to what the majority of their customers want to see.
post #84 of 8561 Old 02-06-2007, 04:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:

PEG Channels are not mandated to be made available via analog tier...that is a choice on part of the service operator and their franchise coordinator.

I believe that's consistent with what I said. Yes?

Quote:

...that's is what must carry is about, not what channels to carry such as PEG's.

My point was that given all the considerations I listed, there are really only three or four channels on my area's analog service that only a few people would care about losting.
post #85 of 8561 Old 02-06-2007, 04:18 AM

Quote:

You are right, Comcast doesn't have a lot of room in the pipe, but they are stuffing it with things THEY THINK I want/need.

You're mistaken. They're stuffing it with things THEY KNOW customers want. You may or may not be representative, and from what you're saying, you're not. That's actually a problem for you -- the less representative you are of the needs and wants that customers, in general, are willing to pay for, the worse service will appear to you, regardless of your service provider.
post #86 of 8561 Old 02-06-2007, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afty View Post

Regarding dropping analog channels: Before we got our HDTV, we were analog subscribers. We both did not want a cable box, and we got all the channels we wanted. If Comcast started dropping analog channels, I would have been royally pissed. The only way I could see to do this without angering customers would be to give the digital box for free with the Enhanced service.

There's really no such thing as "free". They'd just build the cost of one box into the monthly charge they charge for basic service. Still, that would leave you with extra televisions unserviced. Won't that still annoy you?
post #87 of 8561 Old 02-06-2007, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopsHD View Post

Give Comcast time to engineer and design and spend the money to get the Adelphia systems up to the same class as their existing systems.

Keep in mind, though, that they will do so in a timeframe commensurate with the profitability of doing so. Many of Adelphia's service areas are simply unattractive from a profit standpoint. Those areas will generally receive lesser service regardless of who provides service there. As a matter of fact, in some of those areas, some suppliers are actually selling their ground based facilities to lesser companies -- pulling out of the area completely -- so they don't have to deal with the problems of having some customers at one level of service and other customers at another level of service.
post #88 of 8561 Old 02-06-2007, 06:48 AM

Hey everyone,

Both last night and Monday of last week I had the DVR (Moto 3412) set to record Studio 60 on NBC HD and The Hills on MTV both on at 10:00 PM. For some reason only the last 30 minutes of Studio 60 were taped. Did anyone else experience this?

I don't know if the time Studio 60 is on is coded wrong for the DVR to capture it correctly, of if for some reason my box no longer records two programs at once, so it captured the second half of Studio after The Hills ended at 10:30.
post #89 of 8561 Old 02-06-2007, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbrown13 View Post

Hey everyone,

Both last night and Monday of last week I had the DVR (Moto 3412) set to record Studio 60 on NBC HD and The Hills on MTV both on at 10:00 PM. For some reason only the last 30 minutes of Studio 60 were taped. Did anyone else experience this?

I don't know if the time Studio 60 is on is coded wrong for the DVR to capture it correctly, of if for some reason my box no longer records two programs at once, so it captured the second half of Studio after The Hills ended at 10:30.

Did you leave your box on or was it powered off prior to the scheduled recording? If it was off, that might have caused the problem.

Mickey
post #90 of 8561 Old 02-06-2007, 09:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I've gotten no repsonse in the OTA thread so I thought I'd post it here.

What's up with WLVI-DT? For the past 2 weeks Smallville hasn't been HD, just letterboxed 4:3 and this week's episode also doesn't list as HD.

Did WLVI-DT (the CW) stop showing HD?

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page