post #901 of 8564 Old 07-12-2007, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSTNFAN View Post

Is Chelmsford part of Lowell for this? I go to Lowell to swap out boxes, etc.

Chelmsford should be the center of the universe for everything . Still waiting for FioS here.

-Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 8564 Old 07-12-2007, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvt View Post

Chelmsford should be the center of the universe for everything . Still waiting for FioS here.

-Ken

I am waiting for Verizon DSL. Comcast internet prices are highway robbery in comparison!
post #903 of 8564 Old 07-12-2007, 08:40 AM

Quote:

Is Chelmsford part of Lowell for this? I go to Lowell to swap out boxes, etc.

I prefer the one in Westford.
post #904 of 8564 Old 07-12-2007, 10:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

-Ken

Ken, they have FioS here, but I can't get it because of the apt complex I live in needs to be wired up for it. At least they bumped up the $52 net speed to 16Mb/2Mb. That said, FioS is rumored to be planning a jump to 60Mb soon for $42/mo and unless Comcast goes DOCSIS 3.0 there's no way they can compete with that.

The DOCSIS 3.0 specs are just being sorted out now, so it will be some time before the actual product roll out. Years...

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #905 of 8564 Old 07-13-2007, 02:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Is anyone else having a problem with audio/video out of synch on TNT HD?
post #906 of 8564 Old 07-13-2007, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbig View Post

Is anyone else having a problem with audio/video out of synch on TNT HD?

Only for about the last year or so.
post #907 of 8564 Old 07-13-2007, 11:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
It's not like I watch anything on TNT HD anyways. Stretchy, pop-up, overlay, commercial, crap.

Good for sports I guess.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #908 of 8564 Old 07-13-2007, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by wackymann View Post

I prefer the one in Westford.

I haven't been over to that one yet. Every time I've wanted to swap for a newer/bigger box, Lowell had the one I wanted so I've kept going back.
post #909 of 8564 Old 07-13-2007, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

-Ken

FioS would be nice. Do they have NESN HD yet?
post #910 of 8564 Old 07-14-2007, 05:04 AM

Liked: 11
We only watch The Closer on TNT (and we did catch the Librarian a week ago). No problems noted. Perfect picture quality, no audio-synch problems.

Discovery Home Theater -- that's another story. Consistent audio drop-outs there STILL.
post #911 of 8564 Old 07-14-2007, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just a heads-up, for those who ignore the red light on their stb
post #912 of 8564 Old 07-14-2007, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelloguy View Post

Please call Comcast and ask them to send a HDMI cable. By default the tech brings a component cable but if you call ahead he can bring an HDMI cable too.

Ended up with a DTC6200. I didn't get around to calling before he showed up so I'll go pick up a DVI-HDMI cable next Saturday.

Steve
post #913 of 8564 Old 07-14-2007, 08:17 PM

Quote:

FioS would be nice. Do they have NESN HD yet?

Channel 829 on the FiOS lineup (might be a little out of date). There's also a Verizon Boston thread
post #914 of 8564 Old 07-14-2007, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

We only watch The Closer on TNT (and we did catch the Librarian a week ago). No problems noted. Perfect picture quality, no audio-synch problems.

Discovery Home Theater -- that's another story. Consistent audio drop-outs there STILL.

"Discovery Home Thater", is that just the Discovery HD channel? I haven't noticed any audio problems. perhaps theres noise on your line near that frequency?
post #915 of 8564 Old 07-15-2007, 04:25 AM

Liked: 11
Discovery HD Theater (sorry, I got the name wrong earlier) is the current HD channel from the Discovery networks, launched in 2002. It is not the HD version of the Discovery Channel. Discovery HD will be one of the new HD channels (the others being TLC HD, Animal Planet HD and The Science Channel HD) that the Discovery networks starts offering this September.

I'm pretty-sure it isn't noise on my line, since it only affects this one channel, and is an issue that the engineer for Discovery HD Theater has acknowledge online in the past.
post #916 of 8564 Old 07-16-2007, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

Discovery HD Theater (sorry, I got the name wrong earlier) is the current HD channel from the Discovery networks, launched in 2002. It is not the HD version of the Discovery Channel. Discovery HD will be one of the new HD channels (the others being TLC HD, Animal Planet HD and The Science Channel HD) that the Discovery networks starts offering this September.

I'm pretty-sure it isn't noise on my line, since it only affects this one channel, and is an issue that the engineer for Discovery HD Theater has acknowledge online in the past.

weird, I'll have to check mine again and see if I just didn't notice it before.

Nice to hear there will be a Science Channel HD! I just hope Comcast carries it.
post #917 of 8564 Old 07-16-2007, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprof View Post

Ended up with a DTC6200. I didn't get around to calling before he showed up so I'll go pick up a DVI-HDMI cable next Saturday.

Steve

By "pick-up" I assume you mean at the Comcast office for free. I'd check before paying for such a cable, I have a 6200 and as soon as I attach a dvi cable to it, it crashes, starts flashing 8's and "du1" (which I assume means there's a problem with the dvi output). The box will not operate until I remove the dvi cable.
post #918 of 8564 Old 07-16-2007, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampy View Post

By "pick-up" I assume you mean at the Comcast office for free. I'd check before paying for such a cable, I have a 6200 and as soon as I attach a dvi cable to it, it crashes, starts flashing 8's and "du1" (which I assume means there's a problem with the dvi output). The box will not operate until I remove the dvi cable.

Yes, that is what I mean. Why pay for something if I can get it legitimately for free? I hope I won't have those issues because I don't like the picture quality using the component cables.
post #919 of 8564 Old 07-16-2007, 12:27 PM

Hey guys, new to the boards. I just got a Vizio 26 LCD and it has a QAM tuner. Does anyone know where I can get a listing of the channel numbers for South Shore, MA? I am using Comcast, just not using a box. Any help is greatly appreciated!
post #920 of 8564 Old 07-16-2007, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Do a scan. you will most likely get all the HD locals, SD digital simulcasts of unencrypted channels,and perhaps wild VOD feeds from neighbors.
post #921 of 8564 Old 07-16-2007, 12:44 PM

VOD channels from neighbors? How does that happen? And will the only HD channels I get be the local HD channels or is there a way to get the other HD channels without the HD box?
post #922 of 8564 Old 07-16-2007, 04:41 PM

I finally bought a HDTV and getting it delivered Friday. I think Norfolk is serviced by the Foxboro Comcast office. I want to get HD-DVR. Is there anything I should say/ask/whatever when I order? STB? Has anyone heard of asking for the Tivo and getting it?

TIA
post #923 of 8564 Old 07-16-2007, 06:10 PM

I had to go to my local Comcast office to get the HD DVR.

All you have to say is that you just purchased a HDTV and would like to get a HD DVR.

Comcast's Tivo software is not available yet (it is supposed to be available starting sometime in August for those in the NH/Mass. area and then assuming that goes well rolled out nationally). Supposedly, it is just a software upgrade that can be pushed to your HD DVR anytime.
post #924 of 8564 Old 07-16-2007, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone have any experience with Comcast Digital Phone? Got a marketing call to add Digital Phone to current Cable and Internet service to get a "Bundle " price. Had old Comcast phone at old residence ,but that using phone lines Not VoIP service.
Hope we will see History Channnel -HD and TBS-HD come Labor Day.
post #925 of 8564 Old 07-16-2007, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgpt6 View Post

Anyone have any experience with Comcast Digital Phone? Got a marketing call to add Digital Phone to current Cable and Internet service to get a "Bundle " price. Had old Comcast phone at old residence ,but that using phone lines Not VoIP service.

You mean Digital Voice. I switched from the old Digital Phone service to the new service this past spring and really haven't had an issue. It was well worth it since the bundle shaved $40 off my old bill and added HBO & Starz for a year. Plus there are no long distance charges on the phone service.

They give you a new cable modem that looks like the older one if it was on steroids and they'll patch that into your house phone jack wiring. On one occasion so far the modem locked up and I had to bounce the thing but otherwise I haven't noticed any difference from the old service.

Apologies for the off-topic reply...
post #926 of 8564 Old 07-17-2007, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgpt6 View Post

Ask the tech to show you where the battery is located in the VOIP modem. I got a VOIP modem installed for CC VOIP and didn't think to ask. First power outage I had no phone because there was no battery installed.
post #927 of 8564 Old 07-18-2007, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe G View Post

VOD channels from neighbors? How does that happen? And will the only HD channels I get be the local HD channels or is there a way to get the other HD channels without the HD box?

Your TV can display content sent via unencrypted QAM. VOD content is sent this way on designated channels so your channel search may pick these up.

Without a box, the only HD channels you'll pickup are those sent unencrypted - in most areas these are limited to the broadcast channels you'd be able to receive over the air. The only way to view encrypted digital channels without a box is to use a CableCard but many TVs don't support them.
post #928 of 8564 Old 07-18-2007, 12:48 PM

Has anyone been having macroblocking problems on HD channnels with Comcast. For the last month or so I have been having problems with HBO-HD, NESN-HD, TNT-HD, and a few others in the 83X range. I was using a Motorola DCT3416 HD-DVR. Sometimes I would get no picture or audio on HBO-HD. I am using a Panamax MX5300 surge protector/line conditioner and run the coax from the wall to the panamax then out to the DCT3416. I have been using this setup since February with no problems until a few weeks ago when the macroblocking showed up. I checked all my connections and they were fine. I finally broke down and went down to the local Comcast office and swapped my old box for a brand new Motorola DCH3416. This made no difference. Last night I decided to troubleshoot the connections. I also tried running the coax to my old Monster surge protector/line conditioner and had similar results. After awhile, I found that it was running the coax to the Panamax that was causing the problem. When I ran the coax straight to the cable box, everything worked fine. Why after 5 months do the line conditioners not work? Is Comcast doing something with the signal? I called Comcast this morning and they said that I shouldn't run the coax to the line conditioner. Anyone else having this problem?
post #929 of 8564 Old 07-18-2007, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I've had some pretty serious breakups this week on TNT-HD. Been assuming it's just a crappy quality signal between me and Comcast.

If the quality/strength is borderline, I expect that routing the cable through one more box (like a conditioner) could insert enough marginal loss to push it over the edge.

Everyone sucks more than everyone else
host of the Curmudgeon Message Boards
post #930 of 8564 Old 07-19-2007, 05:33 AM

anyone else having some problems with audio on cbs HD and sometimes channel 2? watching (I think crimminal law is the name?) I noticed that only the music part of the soundtrack is playing-but no dialog could be heard-this happened the other night while watching channel 2-same thing-people were clearly talking but no dialog could be heard only the background music. just curious if anyone else is experiencing this, thanks'
thetman
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page