Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 8558 Old 02-06-2007, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

I've gotten no repsonse in the OTA thread so I thought I'd post it here.

What's up with WLVI-DT? For the past 2 weeks Smallville hasn't been HD, just letterboxed 4:3 and this week's episode also doesn't list as HD.

Did WLVI-DT (the CW) stop showing HD?

I was flipping through last night, and whatever show was on WLVI-DT was in HD. I think it was "All of Us," but I'm not sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 8558 Old 02-06-2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyGee View Post

Did you leave your box on or was it powered off prior to the scheduled recording? If it was off, that might have caused the problem.

Mickey

Thanks for the response Mickey. It was powered off, but I power off the box 95% of the time I'm not currently watching and I haven't encountered the problem at any other time. But I'll try leaving it on from now on to see if that helps. I'll try to set up some bogus recordings and try it both ways and see what happens.
post #93 of 8558 Old 02-06-2007, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbrown13 View Post

Thanks for the response Mickey. It was powered off, but I power off the box 95% of the time I'm not currently watching and I haven't encountered the problem at any other time. But I'll try leaving it on from now on to see if that helps. I'll try to set up some bogus recordings and try it both ways and see what happens.

I can't explain why, but if the power was off, that was probably the cause. Generally, these boxes work better when the power is always on.

My advice is free and worth every penny. You could always place a call to Comcast, but the CSR would probably tell you to just unplug the box and then berate you for not upgrading to the Triple Play package. So I saved you from that.

Mickey
post #94 of 8558 Old 02-06-2007, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyGee View Post

I can't explain why, but if the power was off, that was probably the cause. Generally, these boxes work better when the power is always on.

My advice is free and worth every penny. You could always place a call to Comcast, but the CSR would probably tell you to just unplug the box and then berate you for not upgrading to the Triple Play package. So I saved you from that.

Mickey

I consider calling them to be the second to last option, right before sledgehammer. I had to unplug and reset the thing about two weeks ago anyway because none of my recordings would play. Maybe the box is slowly dying. I could trade it in but my gf has so much crap saved on it that we'd have to have some crazy viewing marathon that would result in me poking my eyes out and ripping off my ears. I guess I need to decide if that would come before or after calling comcast. Decisions, decisions...
post #95 of 8558 Old 02-06-2007, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magredc5 View Post

That's strange. Nashua is like the rest of Comcast NE with HD in the 800s. And we do get NG-HD on 821.

BTW They just added a new sports channel on 848. Not sure if it's the Golf channel since that's what was mainly being shown over the weekend, but they continue to add to the lineup.

VS and the Golf Channel combined from what the description says.
post #96 of 8558 Old 02-06-2007, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbrown13 View Post

I consider calling them to be the second to last option, right before sledgehammer. I had to unplug and reset the thing about two weeks ago anyway because none of my recordings would play. Maybe the box is slowly dying. I could trade it in but my gf has so much crap saved on it that we'd have to have some crazy viewing marathon that would result in me poking my eyes out and ripping off my ears. I guess I need to decide if that would come before or after calling comcast. Decisions, decisions...

Since you have so much on the hard drive, I would check priority recording. This kicks in when your almost out of BW and will record the program you have set to the higher position.
post #97 of 8558 Old 02-06-2007, 06:22 PM

Quote:

I've gotten no repsonse in the OTA thread so I thought I'd post it here.

What's up with WLVI-DT? For the past 2 weeks Smallville hasn't been HD, just letterboxed 4:3 and this week's episode also doesn't list as HD.

Pretty certain that WB moved their studio. Would think that if they did that would be a factor, possibly not having all systems in place.
post #98 of 8558 Old 02-07-2007, 07:13 AM

Saw a note this AM on the cable box which is officially announcing channel 848 as the Comcast Sports HD Channel which combines Versus (VS) and The Golf Channel. Obviously they will be focusing on Hockey and Golf for this channel. Standard service with HD equipment required.
post #99 of 8558 Old 02-07-2007, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

I want an HD all-curling, all the time channel.

Everyone sucks more than everyone else
host of the Curmudgeon Message Boards
post #100 of 8558 Old 02-07-2007, 08:00 AM

Quote:

I'm south of bosston- last week the first half of smallville was not in HD-but the second half was The week before it was not in HD at all-seems like a crap shoot lately. and these newer channels like the golf channel- they are usless- doesn't look like HD to me. Discovery is usually in HD but sometimes theyblow hot and cold too-depends on the night I guess. I;m not a hockey or B-ball fan- so lately there isnot much to watch-maybe some network shows..CSI always looks good.
thetman
post #101 of 8558 Old 02-07-2007, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I called Comcast and asked about the triple-play deal and she told me it was only for new subscribers. I currently have TV and internet from them, and was interested in the phone service.

I asked her "so new customers get this deal and those of us who have been loyal customers for years can't get it?" She told me that was true.

So I see from this thread that some of you have indeed gotten the deal. What tips can you give for squeezing it out of the CSR's?

I don't have FIOS available in my area yet (coastal southern NH).

"If you're not passing anyone, get the hell out of the passing lane!"
post #102 of 8558 Old 02-07-2007, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post

I called Comcast and asked about the triple-play deal and she told me it was only for new subscribers. I currently have TV and internet from them, and was interested in the phone service.

I asked her "so new customers get this deal and those of us who have been loyal customers for years can't get it?" She told me that was true.

So I see from this thread that some of you have indeed gotten the deal. What tips can you give for squeezing it out of the CSR's?

I don't have FIOS available in my area yet (coastal southern NH).

the $99 bundle is only for new subs but you can get the $129 bundle, same as the $99, but includes Preferred pk with HBO & Starz. any sub can get that one
post #103 of 8558 Old 02-07-2007, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by petelang View Post

Saw a note this AM on the cable box which is officially announcing channel 848 as the Comcast Sports HD Channel which combines Versus (VS) and The Golf Channel. Obviously they will be focusing on Hockey and Golf for this channel. Standard service with HD equipment required.

Which DOES make sense as you need Digital starter (or extended basic) to get Verses OR the Golf channel.
post #104 of 8558 Old 02-07-2007, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L Supreme View Post

the $99 bundle is only for new subs but you can get the $129 bundle, same as the $99, but includes Preferred pk with HBO & Starz. any sub can get that one

But i already have Digital Premiere AND SnE pack,HS internet and the OLD plhone. could I still get that (but keep my Cinemax,Showtime,TMC &SnE pack)?
post #105 of 8558 Old 02-07-2007, 03:00 PM

I just bypassed the CSR's and asked for a customer retention representative. I got the $129 bundle then added DVR and a second box to that. I was under the impression I could add more if I wanted. Can't hurt to call and ask.
post #106 of 8558 Old 02-07-2007, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motortree View Post

Pretty certain that WB moved their studio. Would think that if they did that would be a factor, possibly not having all systems in place.

I posted about this while Smallville was on last Thursday. In the middle of the broadcast they finally fixed it, just after I made my post. For some reason, Thursday is the night someone's asleep at the wheel over at WLVI since at least Wednesday has proper HD that I know of for sure.
post #107 of 8558 Old 02-08-2007, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitchatjf View Post

But i already have Digital Premiere AND SnE pack,HS internet and the OLD plhone. could I still get that (but keep my Cinemax,Showtime,TMC &SnE pack)?

yes, but it would be more than 129. call for accurate pricing
post #108 of 8558 Old 02-08-2007, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When I go to comcast.com, it describes the Triple Play like this:

Comcast is now offering internet, phone and cable together in one package for just $33 each per month for one year when you sign up for all three. It's a great value. This package is designed for new customers and includes:

It describes the Preferred Plus bundle like this:

Comcast is now offering internet, phone and cable together in one package, plus Digital Preferred Plus w/HBO and Starz - all for just $129.99/month for 12 months. It's a great value. This package is designed for new customers and includes:

So why can I get one and not the other?

"If you're not passing anyone, get the hell out of the passing lane!"
post #109 of 8558 Old 02-09-2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post

So why can I get one and not the other?

Honestly, I can't answer that. But like I wrote earlier anyone can get the 129 bundle
post #110 of 8558 Old 02-09-2007, 11:01 AM

I'm going to be a new subscriber (moving out of RI into MA).... so far my cable HD experience has been sub-par (COX doesn't have FOX/CBS in HD in RI)... so I think anything will be an improvement.

Here's what I'm looking for:
- Basic cable (including usuals like USA/TNT etc)
- HD channels - but don't really care if I have ESPN2/MHD
- HD DVR
- Broadband (FIOS internet is available)

What would be the best plan as a new subscriber? What's the best way to get it - simply call up?

I currently use a voip service but have heard that there have been some issues with VOIP over comcast...

any thoughts would be appreciated.
post #111 of 8558 Old 02-09-2007, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Honestly, I can't answer that. But like I wrote earlier anyone can get the 129 bundle

Based on the rates in Lawrence:

standard cable wthOUT box: $51.20

6 Mb internet for Basic cable subscribers $42.95

Digital preffered with HBO and starz $38.45

looks like with this offer you save SAOME money and get the phone for FREE!

I may just sign up
post #112 of 8558 Old 02-09-2007, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vijay127 View Post

I'm going to be a new subscriber (moving out of RI into MA).... so far my cable HD experience has been sub-par (COX doesn't have FOX/CBS in HD in RI)... so I think anything will be an improvement.

Here's what I'm looking for:
- Basic cable (including usuals like USA/TNT etc)
- HD channels - but don't really care if I have ESPN2/MHD
- HD DVR
- Broadband (FIOS internet is available)

What would be the best plan as a new subscriber? What's the best way to get it - simply call up?

I currently use a voip service but have heard that there have been some issues with VOIP over comcast...

any thoughts would be appreciated.

Since you are a NEW subscriber,the $99 package is available to you but it DOEs include their VOIP

You progobobly want to add digital classic tio get the other HDs (HD locals are included with LIMITED BASIC)
post #113 of 8558 Old 02-09-2007, 05:09 PM

I haven't posted about this but have been wondering for a while...why is Universal HD only coming through as Dolby Digital 2.0 not 5.1? Even in recent NBC shows they are reruning, and Battlestar Galactica, they are not in 5.1. I seem to remember maybe a move or two being in 5.1. Does anyone know why, and is it just from Comcast (doubtful).
post #114 of 8558 Old 02-09-2007, 06:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathstroke View Post

I haven't posted about this but have been wondering for a while...why is Universal HD only coming through as Dolby Digital 2.0 not 5.1? Even in recent NBC shows they are reruning, and Battlestar Galactica, they are not in 5.1. I seem to remember maybe a move or two being in 5.1. Does anyone know why, and is it just from Comcast (doubtful).

Battlestar Galactica is fully DD5.1, I can guarantee you that. With older movies it's harder to tell, but otherwise they're all screwed up by forcing fake DD5.0 output with practically everything. They do occasionally suprise, I've seen some newer movies be DD5.1 like Undercover Brother, etc.

They've always been this way, the forum members (myself included) have been emailing them for years and they've done nothing, and haven't even responded once on the subject.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #115 of 8558 Old 02-09-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:

Battlestar Galactica is fully DD5.1, I can guarantee you that. With older movies it's harder to tell, but otherwise they're all screwed up by forcing fake DD5.0 output with practically everything. They do occasionally suprise, I've seen some newer movies be DD5.1 like Undercover Brother, etc.

They've always been this way, the forum members (myself included) have been emailing them for years and they've done nothing, and haven't even responded once on the subject.

Ok so they are just being stupid. But, the last time I caught a Galactica rerun, there was zero sound coming from my surrounds (and switching to any other channel resulted in normal surround sound). One workaround is to have the motorola box output PCM and then you can have your receiver process it as Dolby Pro Logic. None of the higher-end receivers I've had allow you to screw around with a 5.1 Dolby or DTS mix.
post #116 of 8558 Old 02-09-2007, 07:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

BSG is 5.1, it just doesn't use a lot of rear channel processing. If it's not then it's the first episode I've heard that didn't use it. Wait for them to go back out into space again and then we'll know. Last season it was on quite a bit.

Stargate Atlantis on the otherhand is 2.0 for sure and I did like you said and I just gave in and connected analog cables to my cable box and now have proper PLII on their programming.

post #117 of 8558 Old 02-11-2007, 06:59 AM

Hey L Supreme, anything new on the near horizon that you can talk about?
post #118 of 8558 Old 02-11-2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodef View Post

Hey L Supreme, anything new on the near horizon that you can talk about?

Not as of yet
post #119 of 8558 Old 02-11-2007, 03:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Deathstroke, after watching this week's episode of BSG I concluded that you're correct and UHD has screwed up this season's airing and it is not DD5.1. Sad considering the last two seasons were and its surround sound was a big part of the fun. Oh well.

post #120 of 8558 Old 02-11-2007, 09:12 PM

regarding the trippleplay, it's 129 for 12 months, how much after that? Is there an installation fee? if so, best way to get it wiaved? Thanks,

Jason
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page