Boston, MA - Comcast - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1261 of 8555 Old 09-21-2007, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New shows Chuck, Bionic Woman, and Life are all available on demand in HD. I thought Chuck was the best of the three....

-Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 8555 Old 09-21-2007, 01:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvt View Post

I wouldn't get to excited because MGM-HD will be advertiser supported. But it is better than nothing.

-Ken

Isn't TCM? I've never watched it. At any rate, we need a classic movie channel in HD. We don't have it, so I'll take anything at this point. We can only hope it's OAR with limited commercial interruption/overlays, etc.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #1263 of 8555 Old 09-23-2007, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I notice that in Zap2it.com there is an option for a rebuild lineup.

I think a channel lineup reshuffling may be in our near future.
post #1264 of 8555 Old 09-23-2007, 09:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvt View Post

New shows Chuck, Bionic Woman, and Life are all available on demand in HD. I thought Chuck was the best of the three....

-Ken

No 5.1DD OnDemand (don't ask me why). I decided to pass and just record them so I could get watch them in full 5.1.

post #1265 of 8555 Old 09-24-2007, 05:28 AM

Did WLVI-DT (CW-HD) stop broadcasting in HD? The HD channel used to be mapped to 84-2 (56-1) but now that's only sending an SD signal. I wanted to catch one of their new shows tomorrow, which is apparently in HD...
post #1266 of 8555 Old 09-24-2007, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
WLVI is HD

There had better be something on 831 next week.
post #1267 of 8555 Old 09-24-2007, 09:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

What's wrong with WLVI-DT? Am I missing something? Reaper (Kevin Smith's) new show is on tommorow night and I'm looking forward to that as well as Smallville on Thurs.

post #1268 of 8555 Old 09-25-2007, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcalccal View Post

As far as pricing, I previously received the triple play bundle package with HBO and Starz included, and HD channels, but no sports tier. I received in the mail an offer to upgrade to all the channles including sports tier and all movie channels, as well as internet and phone. All three for $159 for one year, which is 10 dollars cheaper than what I was previously paying. Overall it seems like a decent deal, when you factor in all the extra pay movie and sports tier. Hopefully they add the NHL network now.

Were you able to get the deal ? I also have the same triple play bundle you listed running until Feb 08. Yesterday I also received the $159 offer.
post #1269 of 8555 Old 09-25-2007, 06:52 AM

FIOS is coming down my street this week. Has anyone successfully beat up Comcast for a discount or had the price drop due to competition?

DLP and LCD fan
post #1270 of 8555 Old 09-25-2007, 07:18 AM

Liked: 11
Comcast probably knows well that FIOS is cherry-picking the most profitable neighborhoods, so until FIOS actually offers service to your address, specifically, I doubt they'd offer anything. Beyond that, FIOS isn't all that much less expensive, so expect no more than a pittance even if they do offer something.
post #1271 of 8555 Old 09-25-2007, 08:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

FIOS does offer HDNet and HDNet movies and 16Mbps internet service for $10 less than Comcast. That alone makes it worthwhile in my book. Unfortunately I live in a condo development which will never get FIOS.

post #1272 of 8555 Old 09-25-2007, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Comcast , simple question, Will the Sox games on TBS-HD be seen on Comcast cable? Will Comcast just have TBS-HD for those games only, if band width is a problem for adding TBS-HD full time.
PS lets move some analogs to digital to get band width.
post #1273 of 8555 Old 09-25-2007, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2hometheater View Post

FIOS is coming down my street this week. Has anyone successfully beat up Comcast for a discount or had the price drop due to competition?

FIOS is in my town, so I called Comcast a while back and told them I was going to switch due to the high fees I was paying them. They did give me a one year discount off my monthly bill. When that year is up, I will strongly consider jumping to Verizon.

Mickey
post #1274 of 8555 Old 09-25-2007, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyGee View Post

FIOS is in my town, so I called Comcast a while back and told them I was going to switch due to the high fees I was paying them. They did give me a one year discount off my monthly bill. When that year is up, I will strongly consider jumping to Verizon.

Mickey

You should call back and ask them to give you the upgrade to the Tivo software for free as well, and see how they react.
post #1275 of 8555 Old 09-25-2007, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingisntit View Post

You should call back and ask them to give you the upgrade to the Tivo software for free as well, and see how they react.

I just might try that (if and when Comcast rolls out Tivo and after the inevitable bugs are fixed).

Mickey
post #1276 of 8555 Old 09-25-2007, 06:27 PM

Good evening...I apologize if this is not in the appropriate group but am not really sure where else to post it. Currently have one HDTV and one SD and using one moto 6412 on the HD and 3416 on my sd. Been waiting and waiting, like most of us, for the Tivo roll out. Yesterday I saw a deal for a series 2 80 hour tivo:
http://www.tivo.com/promo/specialmarkets.html

With this model..or any of them..what would I need from comcast for them to operate and also use vod and ppv. Do cable cards only go with the HD Tivo units? Would I still have to rent a stb for the vod and ppv? Just curious.

Tom
post #1277 of 8555 Old 09-26-2007, 03:54 AM

TBS-HD, CNN-HD arrive next Tuesday. Also, USA-HD and History Channel HD soon, according to today's Boston Globe. Still no HD-Net!

http://www.boston.com/business/globe..._red_sox_fans/
post #1278 of 8555 Old 09-26-2007, 04:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted_K View Post

TBS-HD, CNN-HD arrive next Tuesday. Also, USA-HD and History Channel HD soon, according to today's Boston Globe. Still no HD-Net!

http://www.boston.com/business/globe..._red_sox_fans/

Nice to see the channel additions, but yes that sucks about still no HD-Net.

Just my 2¢
Jon
post #1279 of 8555 Old 09-26-2007, 04:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watrat View Post

Good evening...I apologize if this is not in the appropriate group but am not really sure where else to post it. Currently have one HDTV and one SD and using one moto 6412 on the HD and 3416 on my sd. Been waiting and waiting, like most of us, for the Tivo roll out. Yesterday I saw a deal for a series 2 80 hour tivo:
http://www.tivo.com/promo/specialmarkets.html

With this model..or any of them..what would I need from comcast for them to operate and also use vod and ppv. Do cable cards only go with the HD Tivo units? Would I still have to rent a stb for the vod and ppv? Just curious.

Tom

You would need some sort of digital cable box for the VOD & PPV. Cablecards are only used in the S3. You also would not be able to record HD content on the S2 even if you had a HD stb.

Just my 2¢
Jon
post #1280 of 8555 Old 09-26-2007, 04:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwww View Post

Nice to see the channel additions, but yes that sucks about still no HD-Net.

Here in S. NH we are SOL.... No announcement on these channels and Comcast took away HDNet and HDNet Movies back in July...

We dont' have MHD, UHD, HGTVHD or FoodHD
And there are no plans that we have heard of to add TBS HD, CNN HD, USA HD or History HD to our lineup anytime soon. To comcast S. NH is not part of the boston region, we get the feeling they treat us like Verizon does... "rural"..
post #1281 of 8555 Old 09-26-2007, 04:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You would need some sort of digital cable box for the VOD & PPV. Cablecards are only used in the S3. You also would not be able to record HD content on the S2 even if you had a HD stb.

Tivo HD (less than the S3) uses cable cards and can record OTA HD as well.
Any tivo connected to a STB can record HD, however it is downconverted to SD.
post #1282 of 8555 Old 09-26-2007, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

When did discovery HD theatre become just "HD Theatre" ? I noticed this change in both the guide and on the channel.

-Ken
post #1283 of 8555 Old 09-26-2007, 04:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Just curious. What is so great about about HD-Net? I have never seen it so I don't know.
post #1284 of 8555 Old 09-26-2007, 05:10 AM

Quote:

We dont' have MHD, UHD, HGTVHD or FoodHD
And there are no plans that we have heard of to add TBS HD, CNN HD, USA HD or History HD to our lineup anytime soon. To comcast S. NH is not part of the boston region, we get the feeling they treat us like Verizon does... "rural"..

What part of southern NH are you located in? Here in the seacoast area we have all the above channels and (I believe) we mirror the Comcast Boston lineup exactly. I expect we'll get the new adds as well, if history is an indicator.
post #1285 of 8555 Old 09-26-2007, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbig View Post

Just curious. What is so great about about HD-Net? I have never seen it so I don't know.

check out their website and see what all of us comcast subscribers are missing :

http://www.hd.net/

Mark Cuban's channels are pretty damn good IMHO.

-Ken
post #1286 of 8555 Old 09-26-2007, 05:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted_K View Post

What part of southern NH are you located in? Here in the seacoast area we have all the above channels and (I believe) we mirror the Comcast Boston lineup exactly. I expect we'll get the new adds as well, if history is an indicator.

We are in Milford, keyed off of the Comcast Londonderry system.. I just called Comcast and there are service bulletins that elude to the fact (although they can't confirm) that we will mirror the Boston lineup in mid November. Supposedly I'm going to receive a letter around 10/6 outlining the changes...
post #1287 of 8555 Old 09-26-2007, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwms View Post

We are in Milford, keyed off of the Comcast Londonderry system.. I just called Comcast and there are service bulletins that elude to the fact (although they can't confirm) that we will mirror the Boston lineup in mid November. Supposedly I'm going to receive a letter around 10/6 outlining the changes...

Just to set the record straight, all Comcast New England areas (former Adelphia or otherwise) will be getting the new channels over the next two months. There is no official announcement as of yet but I assure you, it is coming.

Just no HD-Net but seeing how Comcast has now added 8 new HD channels to the line-up without increasing standard cable rates, I cannot see how you can complain.

Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.
post #1288 of 8555 Old 09-26-2007, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by therob006 View Post

Just to set the record straight, all Comcast New England areas (former Adelphia or otherwise) will be getting the new channels over the next two months. There is no official announcement as of yet but I assure you, it is coming.

Just no HD-Net but seeing how Comcast has now added 8 new HD channels to the line-up without increasing standard cable rates, I cannot see how you can complain.

Other than my call to Comcast this AM (which I received similar information) this is the first we've heard of it. We see press releases for Boston but our old Adelphia systems are never mentioned. Other than the loss of the HDNets we had an excellent HD lineup for many months; however over the past few months we've seen very little action. What most of us in SNH are upset with is the lack of communication to us. The comcast line-up page has't been correct for months, CSRs rarely know anything in detail for new channels. Why can't this info be sent out to us as "coming soon"? I know they have work to do, but if things are coming down the pipe we'd like to know!

Now the real dissapointment is that we won't have TBS HD for the MLB playoffs, at least as I know of...
post #1289 of 8555 Old 09-26-2007, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwms View Post

Tivo HD (less than the S3) uses cable cards and can record OTA HD as well.
Any tivo connected to a STB can record HD, however it is downconverted to SD.

Sorry my bad, I forgot about the original Tivo HD, but the S2 does not use cable cards (correct?).
So might as well not record HD on S2 because you won't really see it anyway. I can connect a standard VCR to a HD stb & it basically does the same thing as the S2 (obviously Tivo's digital recording would look better then video tape but same output resolution constraints). The S2's best output is s-video which I believe is only 480i.

Just my 2¢
Jon
post #1290 of 8555 Old 09-26-2007, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sorry my bad, I forgot about the original Tivo HD, but the S2 does not use cable cards (correct?).
So might as well not record HD on S2 because you won't really see it anyway. I can connect a standard VCR to a HD stb & it basically does the same thing as the S2 (obviously Tivo's digital recording would look better then video tape but same output resolution constraints). The S2's best output is s-video which I believe is only 480i.

Actually the TivoHD came out after the S3 - in an effort to get out to the masses with a lower price; S3 has larger space, a fancier learning remote, front display, front buttons, and THX certification. They both run the same version of software.

Here are the types of setups you can do with each version of Tivo's out there..

Series 1 - Analog tuner built in; or can tune via set top box from comcast
Series 2 - Analog tuner built in; or can tune via set top box from comcast
Series 2DT - Dual analog tuners built in; or can tune via set top box from comcast
Series 3 - Dual Cablecard tuners; Analog tuner; OTA digital tuner - Can use any combination of these
TIvoHD - Dual Cablecard tuners; Analog tuner; OTA digital tuner - Can use any combination of these

I've been using Tivo for 7 years now (yes seven...) I have an original S1 that I have had hooked up to a Moto Box and a SA box over the years (currently however now it just tunes the analogs as we use our S3 for digital tuning/recording). The quality of the HD downsampled recording on the Tivo is outstanding; a crystal clear picture. While it is scaled down to SD it is great even on lower resolution screens. I hacked the bit-rate on the Tivo and had no visible compression or artifacting. Out of the box a Tivo S1 has a better picture than an S2, but with hacking and increasing the bit-rate you can get them to be equal.

Now here is the kicker, with some HD TVs you'll get a better picture using composite rather than s-video from the S1/S2 tivos. I know it sounds crazy, but you'll have to try what is best for your situation.

The setup that I've used in the past with great success and which gave me the best picture on all channels is as follows:
Tivo S1 - Hacked to tune analogs on its internal tuner (ch 1-70); tuned digital channels (99-1000) via IR control to the STB (SA3250); the STB input was fed into the S-video and audio L/R "in" on the Tivo. The Tivo out was fed to the TV via a composite cable. Then I used the DVI out to feed another input on the TV for true HD content.

I did this for 4 reasons
1. the SA3250 destroyed the analog channels - the artifacting was aweful, Tivo's own internal tuner was better.
2. Was able to record all digital channels
3. If tivo was recording an analog channel I could watch a digital channel via the other TV input.
4. Direct DVI connection to my TV

Now this has since been torn apart - Now we have the S1 recording analog only on its internal tuner and an S3 with dual cable cards that can record anything. (An S2 is on the way to replace the S1). The above could be done with any S1 or S2.

Oh and the S1 and S3 both "broadcast" themselves through the rest of the house, Tivo in any room! but thats another topic..

Hope this helps!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page