post #1441 of 8558 Old 10-08-2007, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgpt6 View Post

Has anyone noticed more macroblocking on SD channels using the digital box lately. Perhaps more compression on SD channels to make room for more.Comcast needs to move channels from analog to digital only.There must be 5 or 6 analogs that could go digital only, and upset just a few people who connect without a box on a regular NTSC -TV

I know around 43 channels that IMHO should. For a start I would have Hallmark,Bravo,History,Cartoon Network,comedy Central,Sci Fi,TV Land ,and GSN go digital only with Travel channel,animal Planet,Tru TV (new name for Court TV as of 01-08),and Food network in the next batch.

With the bandwidth used by 7 analogs they could easily have 12 channels (BOTH SD AND HD feeds)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 8558 Old 10-08-2007, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

Comcast can be reached at 1-800-COMCAST. I hope this helps.

Unfortunatley it did not. Comcast rep. said I was probably the victim of an audit in my town. THey seem to be really buckling down on the rule that if you don;t have a channel in your standard package then you will not get the hi-def channel. No more TNTHD for me. For anyone else with a similar package....beware. My HD channels are quickly shrinking form a year and half ago when I first got HD service. Unfortunaltey, I think it is time to at least look at satellite and see what gives the best bang for the buck without spending in excess of $80+ a month to get a decent amount of HD channels.
post #1443 of 8558 Old 10-08-2007, 08:34 PM

Now, this makes perfect sense...

Quote:
Please Note: On 11/1/07 CSPAN2 will move from channel 45 in Standard Cable to channel 247 in Digital Starter, and CSPAN3 will be added on channel 249 in Digital Starter.

On 12/4/07, Game Show Network will become a full-time channel as it moves from Standard Cable to Digital Starter. The new channel number will be 247. Subscription to Digital Starter package and a digital box are necessary to view this channel.

post #1444 of 8558 Old 10-09-2007, 03:42 AM
AVS Special Member

In NJ where my wife's grandmother lives Comcast is moving AMC, TCM, and GSN from analog to digital. They are also offering analog customers a digital set top box for only $1 per month and it's not a limited time deal, it is a regular price !

-Ken
post #1445 of 8558 Old 10-09-2007, 04:01 AM

Liked: 11
Ah, so they're doing system audits to find cases where folks have channels that aren't part of the packages they're paying for. That makes a lot of sense, and explains why folks "suddenly" lose channels they've had for a while.
post #1446 of 8558 Old 10-09-2007, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitchatjf View Post

4.1 and 7.1 are where they are found in Lawrence. I assume it may be the same in Lowell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvt View Post

In NJ where my wife's grandmother lives Comcast is moving AMC, TCM, and GSN from analog to digital. They are also offering analog customers a digital set top box for only $1 per month and it's not a limited time deal, it is a regular price !

-Ken

Hey Ken, I live right on the border of Chelmsford. Can you confirm what chitchatjf said?
post #1447 of 8558 Old 10-09-2007, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgpt6 View Post

Why is FOX 25 Local news blacked out in Providence DMA towns. It is NOT a Fox network program. Comcast, please check your black out times.

It appears that it was a one time occurance yesterday. HOPEFULLY. So that I may understand this better; are the following points correct?
  • SE Mass is technically considered a Providence market regardless of state boundary
  • For Network broadcasts (same programming, different commercials) the broadcaster in the primary market can request that the secondary market's programming be blacked out
  • We get the 4 major networks for both markets, only Fox is doing this?

My concern is that at some point we're going to lose the Boston affiliate in our lineup. Just as a few months ago we lost the Fox Boston HD channel. That didnt phase me much because morning and nightly news is usually watched on the SD TV in the bedroom.

Thanks

~Alan

post #1448 of 8558 Old 10-09-2007, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epie View Post

Unfortunatley it did not. Comcast rep. said I was probably the victim of an audit in my town. THey seem to be really buckling down on the rule that if you don;t have a channel in your standard package then you will not get the hi-def channel. No more TNTHD for me. For anyone else with a similar package....beware. My HD channels are quickly shrinking form a year and half ago when I first got HD service. Unfortunaltey, I think it is time to at least look at satellite and see what gives the best bang for the buck without spending in excess of $80+ a month to get a decent amount of HD channels.

ESPN, TNT, Discovery Theatre, Universal HD and Mojo are HD channels that you only need basic and digital classic to recieve. These were the original HD channels that Comcast launched. Once NESN and ESPN2 was added to standard cable, all HD channels have been carefully placed into the package along with their SD counterpart.

I'd call back and speak to somoene else.

Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.
post #1449 of 8558 Old 10-09-2007, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser-Soze View Post

My concern is that at some point we're going to lose the Boston affiliate in our lineup.

This is a real possibility. That county is in the Providence DMA, and so the only affiliates that the cable systems must-carry are those from Providence. If Boston affiliates become too expensive or too much of a hassle or take up too much bandwidth, they have no choice between the Boston affiliate and the Providence affiliate -- they have to go with the Providence affiliate.

I hope my PM didn't get your hopes up... that was not my intention. Practically-speaking, there is almost no chance of that situation changing. Your county is in the Providence DMA, and will almost surely remain there. It would be very remarkable for that situation to change. This is one of the down-sides of when cities grow towards each other: If folks align themselves towards the "foreign" city, they're bound to encounter problems.
post #1450 of 8558 Old 10-09-2007, 09:42 AM

Quote:

This is a real possibility. That county is in the Providence DMA, and so the only affiliates that the cable systems must-carry are those from Providence. If Boston affiliates become too expensive or too much of a hassle or take up too much bandwidth, they have no choice between the Boston affiliate and the Providence affiliate -- they have to go with the Providence affiliate.

I hope my PM didn't get your hopes up... that was not my intention. Practically-speaking, there is almost no chance of that situation changing. Your county is in the Providence DMA, and will almost surely remain there. It would be very remarkable for that situation to change. This is one of the down-sides of when cities grow towards each other: If folks align themselves towards the "foreign" city, they're bound to encounter problems.

Whats with the foreign city anology, has it been taken over by another country. Is there an enemy within that we should be concerned about and all those who align themselves with it are doomed. Sheesh, I thought he was only talking about a tv channel but leave it to you to bring it to a whole new level.
post #1451 of 8558 Old 10-09-2007, 09:43 AM

The word "foreign" was in quotes, eh? Foreign meaning part of another DMA.
post #1452 of 8558 Old 10-09-2007, 10:05 AM

Quote:

The word "foreign" was in quotes, eh? Foreign meaning part of another DMA.

You forgot the rest of the Quote:

"If folks align themselves towards the "foreign" city, they're bound to encounter problems".

meaning somehow people have a choice if they live in a particular geographical location and by then telling them to move if they do not want these problems is just being rude, sorry.
post #1453 of 8558 Old 10-09-2007, 10:52 AM

In regards to those who lost TNTHD...I am also one of those people. My wife and I spoke to Comcast in two seperate conversations. Each of us got different answers. She was told it was the level of service (we don't subscribe to extended cable, only basic plus digital). However, when I called the lady told me that my level of service was where it needed to be and everything looked OK on her end.

There was no resolution. It seems like someone needs to get their stories straight over there at Comcast.
post #1454 of 8558 Old 10-09-2007, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMDLP View Post

In regards to those who lost TNTHD...I am also one of those people. My wife and I spoke to Comcast in two seperate conversations. Each of us got different answers. She was told it was the level of service (we don't subscribe to extended cable, only basic plus digital). However, when I called the lady told me that my level of service was where it needed to be and everything looked OK on her end.

There was no resolution. It seems like someone needs to get their stories straight over there at Comcast.

Seeing I;m not the only one with th is issue it is obvious that this a conscience decision on the part of Comcast to eliminate this channel. I feel a little better to know I wasn't the only one however it would have been nice to have been notified.
post #1455 of 8558 Old 10-09-2007, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodef View Post

meaning somehow people have a choice if they live in a particular geographical location and by then telling them to move if they do not want these problems is just being rude, sorry.

Are you really trying to tell me what I meant? If you didn't understand it, it is okay to say so, and I'd gladly explain it more fully. Apparently that was the case here. I'll explain with an example. I used to live in central NJ, midway between New York and Philadelphia. Some of the folks in town were Knicks fans (aligned themselves towards New York); some of the folks in town were 76ers fans (aligned themselves toward Philadelphia). In the end, when push came to shove, the Knicks fans had an easier time of following their favorite team, because our town was in the New York DMA, not the Philadelphia DMA.

Beyond that, I didn't tell anyone to move. It is true, though, that moving may be the only way people have to avoid these problems. That's not rudeness. That's reality. We do a disservice to folks when we refuse to trust them with the cold, honest truth for a situation.
post #1456 of 8558 Old 10-09-2007, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

In Bristol County we lost WHDH-HD nbc to WJAR-HD in Providence. We have both WCVB-HD and WLNE-HD for abc. We still have WBZ-HD for cbs and not have WPRI-HD. We have WNAC_HD for Fox and lost WFXT-HD. We Have WLVI-HD for cw and do not have CW28-HD for cw . (forgot calls) We never got WSBK-HD. Also, the SD for Fox and CW stations changed dial postions on Oct1, with Providence stations getting better dial spots.
I am sure we will lose WBZ-HD for cbs when WPRI HD is carried on Comcast in Bristol County.
post #1457 of 8558 Old 10-09-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:

Are you really trying to tell me what I meant? If you didn't understand it, it is okay to say so, and I'd gladly explain it more fully. Apparently that was the case here. I'll explain with an example. I used to live in central NJ, midway between New York and Philadelphia. Some of the folks in town were Knicks fans (aligned themselves towards New York); some of the folks in town were 76ers fans (aligned themselves toward Philadelphia). In the end, when push came to shove, the Knicks fans had an easier time of following their favorite team, because our town was in the New York DMA, not the Philadelphia DMA.

Beyond that, I didn't tell anyone to move. It is true, though, that moving may be the only way people have to avoid these problems. That's not rudeness. That's reality. We do a disservice to folks when we refuse to trust them with the cold, honest truth for a situation.

Well this is Massachusetts and Boston is the only place where there are professional sports teams unless you count Foxboro where the patriots play. So according to your logic people in Bristol County should support another team because their not in the Boston DMA! What a ridiculous statement. Who are they going to support, there are no pro teams in Providence, maybe they might have to become New York fans then since that would be the other closest city to them. Go see how well that will go over. Fact is most people in Bristol are Boston fans so according to your alignment basis they should be in the Boston DMA right, but their not. I guess your theory does not hold up here and the DMA Guide lines are not always correct like you believe they are and people shouldn't have to alter their lives around them as you suggest.
post #1458 of 8558 Old 10-09-2007, 07:13 PM

Since no one disputed my assumptions - I am unhappy with what may be, but feel better knowing how it 'works' Thanks y'all

~Alan

post #1459 of 8558 Old 10-09-2007, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epie View Post

Comcast rep. said I was probably the victim of an audit in my town. THey seem to be really buckling down on the rule that if you don;t have a channel in your standard package then you will not get the hi-def channel.

Call back. This is absolutely not true.
post #1460 of 8558 Old 10-09-2007, 08:38 PM

TiVo is making its technology and services available to Comcast Corp cable customers. The service, built into Scientific Atlanta cable set top boxes, is currently being tested by Comcast employees and was expected to be available to some customers by September.
http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...VO-COMCAST.xml

I am confused. From what I was reading in this thread, I thought it's just a TiVo software to existing Moto STBs, not new Scientific Atlanta ones. Can somebody clear it up? Good news - after all delays the service is coming, one way or another.
post #1461 of 8558 Old 10-10-2007, 05:41 AM

Quote:

So according to your logic people in Bristol County should support another team because their not in the Boston DMA!

The reality is that Bristol County is aligned with Providence. That isn't a matter of opinion or anything debateable. That's my point. For people living in that county who want to be aligned with Boston, that sucks. For people living in that county who want to be aligned with Providence, that's great. Keep in mind that many people who live in Bristol Country work in Providence, and therefore want their morning news traffic reports to focus on the ride into Rhode Island, not the ride into Boston. They get their way.

And this isn't "logic" -- it's REALITY. I'm not saying how things should be. I'm saying how things are, and based on that, what people should be prepared to deal with.
post #1462 of 8558 Old 10-10-2007, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chr31ter View Post

Call back. This is absolutely not true.

What should I tell them? WHat can support my argument?
post #1463 of 8558 Old 10-10-2007, 06:40 AM

Hello All,

I just got my Sammy LNT4061F with Comcast Moto DCH3416. I am in SE Mass and have been the victim of the pi**ing contest between FOX 25 Boston and Fox 64 Providence. I just want the Red Sox in HD on Friday. Anyone know who will carry it and what channel? Thanks

dantis
post #1464 of 8558 Old 10-10-2007, 07:55 AM

chitchatjf and kenvt,

Do you guys get FOX HD? I can't find it in my QAM channel lineup for the life of me. Not that I really care as I don't watch anything on FOX and I still have my SD FOX channel... Just curious I suppose. Is this related to what everyone else has been discussing?

P.S. I have the Hauppauge HVR-1800 tuner and running SageTV 6.2.
post #1465 of 8558 Old 10-10-2007, 08:08 AM

The Sox game should be on Chanell 811 if you are in Bristol County, that is Fox Providence. 825, I guess, if you are not in Bristol County.
post #1466 of 8558 Old 10-10-2007, 08:11 AM

Quote:

The reality is that Bristol County is aligned with Providence. That isn't a matter of opinion or anything debateable. That's my point. For people living in that county who want to be aligned with Boston, that sucks. For people living in that county who want to be aligned with Providence, that's great. Keep in mind that many people who live in Bristol Country work in Providence, and therefore want their morning news traffic reports to focus on the ride into Rhode Island, not the ride into Boston. They get their way.

And this isn't "logic" -- it's REALITY. I'm not saying how things should be. I'm saying how things are, and based on that, what people should be prepared to deal with.

That is only an assumption on your part! Have you ever seen the traffic on Rt 3 or 24 in the morning, guess where their heading? Boston thats where. So again you can hold the DMA as gospel if you want but the guidelines that create a certain DMA can be wrong just as the points within it that you are trying to justify by including it's boundries are. I belive SE Mass is not assigned correctly even according to their own requirements. It makes no sense for places in S. New Hampshire ( Another State BTW ) to be in the Boston DMA and places like Bristol county which is in the same state and closer to Boston not to be. And I don't even live there ( Bristol County, ) so maybe a few people that do can chime in and explain a little history of the area to you so maybe you can get a better understanding for my rebuttal to your reasoning.
post #1467 of 8558 Old 10-10-2007, 08:18 AM

I drive daily from Bristol County NORTH toward Boston on Rt. 24. We should have Boston stations period. Why does everyone always forget us down here?
post #1468 of 8558 Old 10-10-2007, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantis View Post

I drive daily from Bristol County NORTH toward Boston on Rt. 24. We should have Boston stations period. Why does everyone always forget us down here?

I think the whole problem stems from pre-cable days when Bristol county folks fared better pulling in Providence OTA stations than the Boston stations. I remember having the Archer antenna on my parents house and having to use one of those rotary antenna tuners. I'm in SE Mass but in Plymouth county which is fortunately Boston DMA. Back then we could pick up both Providence and Boston stations clearly. Bristol county was probably in the same situation but some governing board back then assumed that they had better luck with Providence than Boston and here we are 20 years later.

What fun!
post #1469 of 8558 Old 10-10-2007, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by morfinx View Post

chitchatjf and kenvt,

Do you guys get FOX HD? I can't find it in my QAM channel lineup for the life of me. Not that I really care as I don't watch anything on FOX and I still have my SD FOX channel... Just curious I suppose. Is this related to what everyone else has been discussing?

P.S. I have the Hauppauge HVR-1800 tuner and running SageTV 6.2.

In Chelmsford, I'm getting FOXHD on 87.1 and CBSHD on 87.2...I'm not sure why they aren't mapping like the others do.
post #1470 of 8558 Old 10-10-2007, 08:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Keep in mind that many people who live in Bristol Country work in Providence

That is only an assumption on your part!

Are you really saying that there aren't many people in Bristol County that work in Providence? I think you misread what I wrote... Perhaps you thought I said that everyone in Bristol County work in Providence or that most people who lived in Bristol County work in Providence. I didn't say EITHER of those things. I hope that clears up your confusion.

Quote:

So again you can hold the DMA as gospel if you want but the guidelines that create a certain DMA can be wrong just as the points within it that you are trying to justify by including it's boundries are.

The DMA are reality. Again, I think you misread what I wrote... I haven't said whether the boundaries are "right" or "wrong" -- I've only stated that they exist and that they will have their consequent effects, whether people like it or not.

Quote:

so maybe a few people that do can chime in and explain a little history of the area to you so maybe you can get a better understanding for my rebuttal to your reasoning.

There is nothing to rebut since I'm not presenting "reasoning" but rather reporting the reality of the situation.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page