Boston, MA - Comcast - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 8558 Old 02-12-2007, 05:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I called last week on the triple play bundle. The phone cost goes up $10 at the end of the year. She, the CSR, did not mention any other increases other than the $10 when I asked what the price was after a year. Of course, does not mean it does not go up even more as we were discussing the VOIP at that point and it was not clear if I was aking about the VOIP price or the overall price.

Also, there is a $99 installation fee(she waived it without asking because I was an existing customer, or so she said) I do have to pay the "activation fee, I think it was 19.95 but may have been 29.95.

I was concerned about the VOIP quality and she said there is a 30 day guarantee and that I could just go back to the old service if in the first 30 days I was not happy and there was no charge. She also gave me her direct line so if I had any problems to call her. She stated she had the VOIP and has had it for less than a year and at the beginning she did have problems but the past few months has worked well. She stated that it is newer technology so ther emay be some speed bumps along the way. She was very honest and one of the best reps I've spoken to.

Anyway, I'm doing the bundle for $129 which will save me $65-70 per month over what I'm paying now and I get Starz which I did NOT have and my second line gets free long distance and local which it did not have before. So, I wills ee how the phone service goes, it is suppose to be a better quality than vonage because they do not use public internet so quality is controlled by Comcast. Hopefully that is god because which I talk to people with vonage and it's a massive headache talking to them with the "can you hear me, hello, where did you" go a constant in the conversation..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 8558 Old 02-12-2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L Supreme View Post

Not as of yet

Well thanks anyways, I just hope they do something with 838 and replace it with a national HD channel soon.
post #123 of 8558 Old 02-12-2007, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodef View Post

Well thanks anyways, I just hope they do something with 838 and replace it with a national HD channel soon.

I wouldn't.

The thing is right now Comcast has consent to retransmit WSBK-DT. If they decide to pull it off even temporarily they could lose that consent.

There may not be much at the present but you never know the future.
post #124 of 8558 Old 02-12-2007, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L Supreme View Post

yes, but it would be more than 129. call for accurate pricing

Try 146.

compared to 153.59 for just TV and internet (Digital Premire WITH ready for HDNet (My name for Sne) pacjkage)
post #125 of 8558 Old 02-13-2007, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbrown13 View Post

Hey everyone,

Both last night and Monday of last week I had the DVR (Moto 3412) set to record Studio 60 on NBC HD and The Hills on MTV both on at 10:00 PM. For some reason only the last 30 minutes of Studio 60 were taped. Did anyone else experience this?

I think Studio 60 was scheduled as starting at 10:01 last night. Did you have 2 shows recording at 9:00? If one of them, say Heroes, was scheduled to end at 10:01, it can cause a conflict when trying to record two shows at 10:00 as the DVR thinks there are three shows at 10, due to that 1 minute overage. I know I have had to do a manual recording starting at 10:01 in the past to get around the conflict.

However, that fact that it would then start recording the last half hour is weird.

"We are the people our parents warned us about." - Jimmy Buffett
post #126 of 8558 Old 02-13-2007, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

My Bill went up $3 a month with Feb 1 increase. Also, in bill ;ESPN Classic will move to digital starter only on 3/31/07. May free up bandwidth for 2 new HD channels. Comcast is SLOWLY moving stuff on analog. Will i stay a trickle ,or become a drip as time goes on....?
post #127 of 8558 Old 02-13-2007, 10:13 AM

I live in Scituate and have been trying to get a 3416 since October. I called the 1 800# today to have them check with my local office to see if they had one in stock. I was told that they aren't available in my area and they haven't even started testing them for this area. Just wondering if this is just a line or what. It seems if they are available in other areas they should be able to roll them out everywhere. Any thoughts?
post #128 of 8558 Old 02-13-2007, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitchatjf View Post

I wouldn't.

The thing is right now Comcast has consent to retransmit WSBK-DT. If they decide to pull it off even temporarily they could lose that consent.

There may not be much at the present but you never know the future.

Why? If we had the chance to get HDnet or another Natl. HD channel you wouldn't drop 838 if they needed the BW. Besides a channel that isn't HD is useless in the 800 tier and as far as I know TV38 has not mentioned any plans for HD in the near future. So with BW being king right now until new technology arrives on the scene, lets get rid of the deadweight now so we can add more worthwhile channels in it's place. To me this makes much more sense.
post #129 of 8558 Old 02-13-2007, 10:29 AM

Quote:

lets get rid of the deadweight now so we can add more worthwhile channels in it's place. To me this makes much more sense.

I couldn't agree more. WSBK-HD is broadcasting 0% HD as of now. Even if it were capable of sending any HD at all, there are only 2 shows on that network in HD, (Jeopardy and Wheel of fortune). What a joke.... AND what a waste.
post #130 of 8558 Old 02-13-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megakilljoy View Post

I live in Scituate and have been trying to get a 3416 since October. I called the 1 800# today to have them check with my local office to see if they had one in stock. I was told that they aren't available in my area and they haven't even started testing them for this area. Just wondering if this is just a line or what. It seems if they are available in other areas they should be able to roll them out everywhere. Any thoughts?

Hi - I live in Hingham and had the Comcast Digital Voice installed this past Saturday. I asked the installer if he was using the 3416's for new installs. He did't know, but said we could check his truck. We did, and found he had a 3416 that he didn't need for the day. I actually installed it to replace my 2 year old 3412 which was locking up all the time and being non responsive to the remote constantly. Happy to report the 3416 is working flawlessly via DVI to HDMI (Comcast provided) - no remote problems or reboots needed. Only been four days, but so far I'm thrilled with performance and with the increased HD space.
post #131 of 8558 Old 02-13-2007, 01:49 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmichael View Post

I couldn't agree more. WSBK-HD is broadcasting 0% HD as of now. Even if it were capable of sending any HD at all, there are only 2 shows on that network in HD, (Jeopardy and Wheel of fortune). What a joke.... AND what a waste.

We don't even get Jeopardy or Wheel of Fortune in HD in Boston. I'm not sure why...either way, they need to dump that pathetic channel.
post #132 of 8558 Old 02-13-2007, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfull View Post

Hi - I live in Hingham and had the Comcast Digital Voice installed this past Saturday. I asked the installer if he was using the 3416's for new installs. He did't know, but said we could check his truck. We did, and found he had a 3416 that he didn't need for the day. I actually installed it to replace my 2 year old 3412 which was locking up all the time and being non responsive to the remote constantly. Happy to report the 3416 is working flawlessly via DVI to HDMI (Comcast provided) - no remote problems or reboots needed. Only been four days, but so far I'm thrilled with performance and with the increased HD space.

Interesting! Thanks for the info. It is very frustrating trying to get new equipment from comcast. I think I was one of the first in the area to get a dvr and one of the last to get a dual tuner dvr! Glad to hear it is working well for you. I am constantly having difficulty with my 3412 not syncing properly with the tv, so I am anxious for the 3416, not to mention the the need for the larger hard drive.
post #133 of 8558 Old 02-13-2007, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Why? If we had the chance to get HDnet or another Natl. HD channel you wouldn't drop 838 if they needed the BW. Besides a channel that isn't HD is useless in the 800 tier and as far as I know TV38 has not mentioned any plans for HD in the near future. So with BW being king right now until new technology arrives on the scene, lets get rid of the deadweight now so we can add more worthwhile channels in it's place. To me this makes much more sense.

If Bandwidth was an issue and there was a contract to carry HDNet I would just pulls some channels off analog to make the room.

Suppose Comcast had decided to drop it say a month ago. The could easily have decided to pull off WBZ-DT as well or the SD channels too.

Despite the CURRENT lack of HD programming,it DOES make sense to KEEP WSBK-DT on the system.
post #134 of 8558 Old 02-13-2007, 07:25 PM

Quote:

Someone is blowing smoke, my 6412 fried the day of a week long trip back right after xmas. I went to Norwell and they didn't have any DVRs in stock, was told "by 3PM" (the time I was taking off). They called Scituate which just got their delivery. I went over to Scituate, and got one and it was a 3416. I will note the rep in the Scituate office was rude, she asked why I was in Scituate instead of Norwell. I told her about the trip, her response was 'its just TV' among a few other choice comments.
post #135 of 8558 Old 02-14-2007, 06:53 AM

Quote:

If Bandwidth was an issue and there was a contract to carry HDNet I would just pulls some channels off analog to make the room.

Suppose Comcast had decided to drop it say a month ago. The could easily have decided to pull off WBZ-DT as well or the SD channels too.

Despite the CURRENT lack of HD programming,it DOES make sense to KEEP WSBK-DT on the system.

Your logic makes no sense. And try pulling some of those SD channels off and see the firestorm that creates when they could easily just drop the non-use HD channel. Why are you so hung up on this station when you can just view the SD channel ( 14 ) if your a big Jeopardy or Wheel of Fortune fan. The only thing I suspect is Comcast might be under contract to carry it but once they stopped broadcasting in HD, that contract should be null and void.
post #136 of 8558 Old 02-14-2007, 07:56 AM

Quote:

Cable companies cannot just "pull" analog channels. Carriage agreements present restriction to "pulling" content which has been negotiated by a contract with the program provider. Violation=court (and CourtTV).
If you are to make statements about which content MSO's should or should not "pull" read up on their carriage agreements and then make a statement. Don't forget, "must carry" rules dictate that MSO's provide carriage for broadcasters within 50 miles of the city or town the MSO serves. Furthermore, retransmission agreements must also be considered when making statements about carriage and "pulling." BTW, have you ever researched what it takes to change programming content on multiple transmission systems, both analog and digital across 190 cities and towns?
post #137 of 8558 Old 02-14-2007, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meff View Post

Someone is blowing smoke, my 6412 fried the day of a week long trip back right after xmas. I went to Norwell and they didn't have any DVRs in stock, was told "by 3PM" (the time I was taking off). They called Scituate which just got their delivery. I went over to Scituate, and got one and it was a 3416. I will note the rep in the Scituate office was rude, she asked why I was in Scituate instead of Norwell. I told her about the trip, her response was 'its just TV' among a few other choice comments.

Thanks for the info. Yes, the personnel in the Scituate office are occasionally helpful, but most the time they seem annoyed that a customer is there and asking for service. When I have asked (three times now) for the 3416, I have had to educate them as to what it is and why I would need one since I have a working 3412. They don't seem to understand that it has a larger hard drive. They told me they should have them available in January (this was shortly before xmas). I was very puzzled with the response I got yesterday about "testing the equipment" in the area. I am most frustrated at this point and given the info you have provided, I will definately be calling the 1 800# again as well as paying a visit to the Scituate office.
post #138 of 8558 Old 02-14-2007, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM22681 View Post

We don't even get Jeopardy or Wheel of Fortune in HD in Boston. I'm not sure why...either way, they need to dump that pathetic channel.

Well, I notice that Channel 38 will be carrying most of the New England Revolution matches the next two years. If Kraft Sports Productions (who will produce the telecasts) invests in HD equipment -- perhaps in 2008 -- then there would be some locally-produced HD content on the channel. Of course, all the (other) major Boston sports teams have some or all their games in HD.

Soccer's great in HD, as was evidenced by the World Cup matches last year.
post #139 of 8558 Old 02-14-2007, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motortree View Post

Cable companies cannot just "pull" analog channels. Carriage agreements present restriction to "pulling" content which has been negotiated by a contract with the program provider. Violation=court (and CourtTV).
If you are to make statements about which content MSO's should or should not "pull" read up on their carriage agreements and then make a statement. Don't forget, "must carry" rules dictate that MSO's provide carriage for broadcasters within 50 miles of the city or town the MSO serves. Furthermore, retransmission agreements must also be considered when making statements about carriage and "pulling." BTW, have you ever researched what it takes to change programming content on multiple transmission systems, both analog and digital across 190 cities and towns?

WSBK AND WBZ are OWNED by CBS. Comcast has consent to retransmit both their SD and HD signals. If they were to pull off WSBK-DT then CBS would be in its right to refuse to consent to retransmit the other three channels (WBZ-DT,WBZ-TV and WSBK-TV)
post #140 of 8558 Old 02-14-2007, 06:38 PM

Quote:

WSBK AND WBZ are OWNED by CBS. Comcast has consent to retransmit both their SD and HD signals. If they were to pull off WSBK-DT then CBS would be in its right to refuse to consent to retransmit the other three channels (WBZ-DT,WBZ-TV and WSBK-TV)

I have a Chihuahua that eats Natural Choice Sensitive Stomach...what's your point?
post #141 of 8558 Old 02-14-2007, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCSVEN View Post

I called last week on the triple play bundle. The phone cost goes up $10 at the end of the year. She, the CSR, did not mention any other increases other than the $10 when I asked what the price was after a year. Of course, does not mean it does not go up even more as we were discussing the VOIP at that point and it was not clear if I was aking about the VOIP price or the overall price.

Also, there is a $99 installation fee(she waived it without asking because I was an existing customer, or so she said) I do have to pay the "activation fee, I think it was 19.95 but may have been 29.95.

I was concerned about the VOIP quality and she said there is a 30 day guarantee and that I could just go back to the old service if in the first 30 days I was not happy and there was no charge. She also gave me her direct line so if I had any problems to call her. She stated she had the VOIP and has had it for less than a year and at the beginning she did have problems but the past few months has worked well. She stated that it is newer technology so ther emay be some speed bumps along the way. She was very honest and one of the best reps I've spoken to.

Anyway, I'm doing the bundle for $129 which will save me $65-70 per month over what I'm paying now and I get Starz which I did NOT have and my second line gets free long distance and local which it did not have before. So, I wills ee how the phone service goes, it is suppose to be a better quality than vonage because they do not use public internet so quality is controlled by Comcast. Hopefully that is god because which I talk to people with vonage and it's a massive headache talking to them with the "can you hear me, hello, where did you" go a constant in the conversation..

Comcast Digital Voice is only VOIP to their switch. The VOIP you will share on the internet is only within your fiber node servicing neighborhoods (<500 homes). I had the service for about a year and there were some glitches, mostly with accessing voicemail. There was one time when my wife was disconnected during a call and then I had no dialtone for about three minutes but then all was fine. One thing to note is that I believe most of the issues with CDV were a result of subscribers who had the legacy Comcast phone service and switched to CDV. I don't think the two systems were able to link during the transition process from one phone system to the next. I experienced this as I was one of those subscribers who transitioned. Comcast CDP(legacy phone system) subscribers were unable to call me for about two weeks after I was on the CDV system. It seemed that my phone number still existed in the CDP system so when a CDP subscriber called my number the CDP system couldn't find the CDP box on the side of my house so the system informed the caller that my phone was out of service. Anyone who had CDV or was a non Comcast phone service subscriber could reach me.
post #142 of 8558 Old 02-14-2007, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post

I called Comcast and asked about the triple-play deal and she told me it was only for new subscribers. I currently have TV and internet from them, and was interested in the phone service.

I asked her "so new customers get this deal and those of us who have been loyal customers for years can't get it?" She told me that was true.

So I see from this thread that some of you have indeed gotten the deal. What tips can you give for squeezing it out of the CSR's?

I don't have FIOS available in my area yet (coastal southern NH).

Try telling them " I think I'm ready to switch to Verizon for my internet because I can get the telephone and internet on one bill. Is there anything Comcast could offer that would compare and be competitive?"
post #143 of 8558 Old 02-14-2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:

I just got a 3416 installed with free HDMI cable. Signed up for the triple play special with HBO and Starz thrown in. Getting the 3416 was lucky as they wouldn't take a request for it. They will give HDMI cable IF you ask for it ahead of time. Contractor for Comcast said they have buckets of them but he doesn't get one to bring unless it's on the purchase form. I asked to keep the cable card and they said it would still be free. Comcast was about 20 less than Verizon. The 3416 locked up once when I was playing with the live tv rewind features. A bad start but has been great now for over a week. Love recording hd and not messing with tapes.
post #144 of 8558 Old 02-14-2007, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashford View Post

Well, I notice that Channel 38 will be carrying most of the New England Revolution matches the next two years. If Kraft Sports Productions (who will produce the telecasts) invests in HD equipment -- perhaps in 2008 -- then there would be some locally-produced HD content on the channel. Of course, all the (other) major Boston sports teams have some or all their games in HD.

Soccer's great in HD, as was evidenced by the World Cup matches last year.

Kraft Sports Productions does have HD equipment, they shot the Pats preseason games in HD, and if you noticed last season the Revs home games the cameras are the HD ones, but they choose SD due to costs.
post #145 of 8558 Old 02-14-2007, 09:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
So what's up. They raise the rates, get rid of INHD2, and we don't even have A&E-HD or Food-Network-HD, that they get on Comcast in other parts of the country?

Not that I care. I don't really want those (A&E maybe) and I probably won't qualify because I don't have extended cable.

The only thing I'm concerned about is that they do indeed keep raising the rates and are cutting the services somewhat. All I want is HDNet.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #146 of 8558 Old 02-15-2007, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

So what's up. They raise the rates, get rid of INHD2, and we don't even have A&E-HD or Food-Network-HD, that they get on Comcast in other parts of the country?

Not that I care. I don't really want those (A&E maybe) and I probably won't qualify because I don't have extended cable.

The only thing I'm concerned about is that they do indeed keep raising the rates and are cutting the services somewhat. All I want is HDNet.

You do realise that they added MHD, NGHD and Versus/Golf HD channels in the last 3 months (oh and 806 for us in the South)
post #147 of 8558 Old 02-15-2007, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

Aside from what Old-Man said about the new HDs in the last 3 months... did it slip your mind that INHD2 went away completely... not just by Comcast, but by InDemand.
post #148 of 8558 Old 02-15-2007, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopsHD View Post

Aside from what Old-Man said about the new HDs in the last 3 months... did it slip your mind that INHD2 went away completely... not just by Comcast, but by InDemand.

And Comcast owns a significant chunk of InDemand.
post #149 of 8558 Old 02-15-2007, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLIVE View Post

And Comcast owns a significant chunk of InDemand.

How bout this... ah nevermind, its not worth it. No matter what anyone says, if its contrary to what you want to hear you just won't accept it.

Comcast will do what is best for its bottom line. Their bottom line is affected by the happiness of the MAJORITY of their customers. So they will cater to the MAJORITY of their customers.

This thread has become an absolute waste of space. No one helps anyone anymore... its a giant bitchfest. I for one am done reading this thread.

Enjoy the Thread Crapping.
post #150 of 8558 Old 02-16-2007, 01:37 PM

I'm just starting to learn about HD.... Hopefully I'm not asking in the wrong place...

Are non-premium Comcast Digital/HD channels broadcast as unencrypted "QAM". I'm wondering if a HDHomeRun would work for me? (I'm already a happy SageTV user).

Thanks.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page