Boston, MA - Comcast - Page 88 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-08-2008, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
when all channels go digital, they will eventually go 1080 or 720 over time. as this happens, how does Comcast make up for us suckers who pay for high definition now?

I have a TV on just the qam tuner (and another on an hdmi-DVR) and even the 480i digital stations look good on qam. Of course the 1080/720 stations are fab-and free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2008, 10:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz01 View Post

when all channels go digital, they will eventually go 1080 or 720 over time.

There is nothing that says all channels must go HD, just that they go digital. I would imagine many of them, such as the weather channels/subchannels and local channels that broadcast commercial networks like QVC 24/7 would remain 480i or 480p.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by owine View Post

Can someone tell me if a truck roll is still required for TiVo service or if that has changed. Also, does Comcast carry or plan to carry GAMEHD/TEAMHD for the sports packages? I live in Salem.

Thanks

I was wondering the same thing.

I just called Comcast to get the Tivo service, which is $2.95 more per month. However, it requires a truck visit which is $13.95 to basically deliver a new remote with a Tivo button and letters on it.

Does this sound right to anyone else?

Old 03-09-2008, 12:20 PM

Liked: 11
Most folks are reporting that. The install generally requires a lot more than you think. The download of the TiVo software requires that signal quality be far closer to perfect than is required for the iGuide software. In many cases, lots of upgrades have been needed.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Don't really want to sit around and wait for Comcast to come just to I can lose 5.1 sound. I think I'll wait a little while. The iGuide is not horrible.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

Most folks are reporting that. The install generally requires a lot more than you think. The download of the TiVo software requires that signal quality be far closer to perfect than is required for the iGuide software. In many cases, lots of upgrades have been needed.

The "cable modem" within the box has to be activates as this is how it gets the Tivo information. I got an offer for a free install but chose to pass as this time.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well, I had a lot of the wiring to my cable box in my apartment and in the building hallway replaced about a year ago because of VERY weak signals going to the cable box I had at the time. Once all the cabling was replaced, the techs said the signal was very strong, so hopefully I don't need any new wiring.

I also upgraded my cable box to the DHC3416 a few weeks ago. Does anyone know if the bug reported a few posts back about DCH boxes not passing DD5.1 is still present? If it is, when in March might it be fixed. (It seems like a pretty serious bug, as I'm assuming most people upgrading to Tivo have home theater systems or something capable of decoding DD5.1.)
Old 03-10-2008, 05:47 AM

In many cases, the signal being too strong is a problem (with the TiVo download). Unlike with the iGuide software, apparently the signal needs to be practically perfect for the TiVo software.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennberg View Post

I was wondering the same thing.

I just called Comcast to get the Tivo service, which is $2.95 more per month. However, it requires a truck visit which is $13.95 to basically deliver a new remote with a Tivo button and letters on it.

Does this sound right to anyone else?

Yes, I think I paid around 17.99 for the Comcast Tivo install and the peanut Tivo remote. It adds 2.95 to your bill each month for all DVRs in the house that can get Tivo. I dumped the Comcast Tivo after a month and am using the TivoHD with Cable Card. I found the Comcast Tivo too buggy to use, maybe it is better in the last month and I'm sure it will get better but for now I preferred the HD Tivo.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmfielding View Post

Yes, I think I paid around 17.99 for the Comcast Tivo install and the peanut Tivo remote. It adds 2.95 to your bill each month for all DVRs in the house that can get Tivo. I dumped the Comcast Tivo after a month and am using the TivoHD with Cable Card. I found the Comcast Tivo too buggy to use, maybe it is better in the last month and I'm sure it will get better but for now I preferred the HD Tivo.

Speaking of TiVoHD, I am being charged a $5.00 additional outlet fee for *each* of the two CableCards in my TiVoHD. (One device, two CableCards, two $5/mo AO fees.) I called Comcast and was told that this was the correct billing for my system configuration.

Is this consistent with what others are paying? I would have expected one AO fee, then perhaps a small fee for the 2nd CableCard -- but not an another AO fee.

BTW, I do have another Comcast HD PVR in my home, so the TiVoHD is an additional system.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparrish View Post

Speaking of TiVoHD, I am being charged a $5.00 additional outlet fee for *each* of the two CableCards in my TiVoHD. (One device, two CableCards, two $5/mo AO fees.) I called Comcast and was told that this was the correct billing for my system configuration.

Is this consistent with what others are paying? I would have expected one AO fee, then perhaps a small fee for the 2nd CableCard -- but not an another AO fee.

BTW, I do have another Comcast HD PVR in my home, so the TiVoHD is an additional system.

I am very confused on this matter as well. I believe you should be charge $5.00 for each device, not each card. The first card is free and the second card is charged around $2.75. But there is much confusion on this matter. I have only a TivoHD now with one M-Card and believe I should be charged no additional outlet fee. However, do I pay for a second card fee for the M-Card since it is capable of recording two channels? I am thoroughly confused and Comcast's pricing seems arbitrary and dependent on the rep you talk to.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:35 AM

Hi,
I've searched through this thread and can't find much from people in the Dover/Portsmouth NH area. My QAM tuner can get the following Comcast HD stations (all that I have found so far) :
84.1 = channel 2/PBS
CW (38 or 56 or whatever, never watch it)
86.1 = 5/ABC
86.2 = 7/NBC
87.1 = 25/Fox
87.2 = 4/CBS

Does anybody know the QAM tuning for either WMUR/Channel 9 or WENH/Channel 11? Are those being carried on clear QAM??

Thanks,
Peter
Old 03-11-2008, 03:55 PM

We're stuck with the Scientific Atlantic 3200 box per Comcast, and I can't figure out if this box can do closed captioning. My TV's are all digital and we do have digital service. The captioning through the TV's is horrendous and I'd like to use the captioning through the set top box.

Does anyone know if this box does captioning? I can't find anything online or within the box settings. If this box doesn't work, does anyone know if I can buy my own that will work in this area.

Thanks,
Sandy C.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:38 PM

Quote:

Speaking of TiVoHD, I am being charged a $5.00 additional outlet fee for *each* of the two CableCards in my TiVoHD. (One device, two CableCards, two $5/mo AO fees.) I called Comcast and was told that this was the correct billing for my system configuration. Is this consistent with what others are paying?

As of this month, yes.

Quote:

Yup, me too...
Old 03-11-2008, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 36
FWIW, the pricing schedule that arrived with the February Comcast bill in Nashua shows "N/C" for a CableCARD, and $1.50 for "additional cards, same device". There is a $5.00 Additional Digital Outlet fee.

Tony
Old 03-13-2008, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

So, I just had a Comcast tech over to set up Tivo on my DVR (I have a DCH3416 model).

He first had to make a call in and then the download process started. It took maybe 5-7 minutes to download and no adjustments were made to my signal strength, so I guess it was good to begin with.

Initial impressions:

1. It's pretty, though the Tivo sounds may get annoying after a while.

2. The install somehow reset the video formatting, so HD channels were coming in letterboxed. I had to go into the Tivio video settings to set it to 1080i Fixed, which appears to have resolved the problem.

3. So far, it seems as though the bug is still present, as I can't get DD5.1 on HD channels, even though I set it to pass through DD5.1 in one of the Tivo menu settings.

I'm going to play around with it a bit more and see what else I can break :-)
Old 03-13-2008, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Few more thoughts:

1. Paging/going from channel to channel through the guide is S L O W.

2. The DVR recognizes commands from the peanut remote V E R Y S L O W L Y.

3. Did I say going through the guide is slow?
Old 03-13-2008, 07:06 PM
ed1

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Has anyone else experienced VERY frequent sound freezes (of 1 to 10 or more seconds each) and repeated video pixelation on CNBC - channel 53 - this evening in the West-suburban Boston area?
Old 03-14-2008, 05:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Thank you for reminding me why I have been putting opff getting Tivo
Old 03-14-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitchatjf View Post

+1
Old 03-14-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennberg View Post

Few more thoughts:

1. Paging/going from channel to channel through the guide is S L O W.

2. The DVR recognizes commands from the peanut remote V E R Y S L O W L Y.

3. Did I say going through the guide is slow?

Is there anything in the positive besides it being pretty? If not, I'm with the others and feel no regret not getting it!
Old 03-14-2008, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitchatjf View Post

+1

Fine with the old software on my current DVR. will my recorded shows have better quality with Tivo??? (sarc)

I am waiting for Blu Ray burners. enough of these high priced revenue makers for cable. The industry is maxed out. Who needs to spend thousands of dollars a year to watch TV? Give ma a cablecard and a blu ray burner and I'd be happy.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodef View Post

Is there anything in the positive besides it being pretty? If not, I'm with the others and feel no regret not getting it!

Yes, there are positives. Some of these things will mean nothing to some people, but may be big to others:

-You can search OnDemand as well as the regular guide. As well as other enhanced search features not currently available with the iGuide.

-You can change resolution without turning box off & going into old resolution menu.

-You can turn CC on & off without turning the box off.

-It doesn't record the same new show multiple times during the week (mainly a problem with the 'cable channels' and premium channels. Example: 'The Sopranos' (if it was still on) was on 3 or 4 times during the week. If you recorded the first show, watched it, then deleted it, it would record the same episode again the next time it was on because it's still marked as new in the guide. Tivo doesn't do this, it remembers it already recorded it & won't record it again unless you go in & tell it to. This is probably the biggest plus for me because of the amount of show I record on these channels. There are workarounds for dealing with this in the iGuide, but Tivo does it how it should be done.

-It has the Tivo sounds (, this is a joke, I'm sure this is not a real selling point for anyone & a lot of people actually turn them off).

Just my 2¢
Jon
Old 03-14-2008, 03:47 PM

Good evening,
Was wondering if anyone is having a problem watching the Celtics on demand through their comcast tivo boxes? When I go to ondemand on both of my tvs and go to sports and fitness I see two listings for nba tv. When I select the Celtics I can watch everything other than the game replays. It worked yesterday afternoon but from last night on thru today when I select it I get the error bong and it won't let me proceed. I thought maybe last night there might have been a blackout because there were games on TNT..but at 5:30 in the afternoon I am getting same problem. Anyone else?

Thanks

Tom
Old 03-14-2008, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone catch the channel 5 Eli Stone Flub the other night ? It happened about 29 minutes into the show and is chronicled here:

http://www.savewrko.com/archives/200...tvs_pre-te.php
Old 03-14-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvt View Post

Anyone catch the channel 5 Eli Stone Flub the other night ? It happened about 29 minutes into the show and is chronicled here:

http://www.savewrko.com/archives/200...tvs_pre-te.php

Someone must have fell asleep at the switch!
Old 03-15-2008, 06:12 AM

I'm not sure it would warrant being posted to YouTube, as the article suggested. (As it is, I wouldn't have the time to bother.)
Old 03-15-2008, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I'm not sure it would warrant being posted to YouTube, as the article suggested. (As it is, I wouldn't have the time to bother.)

Yeah I had it on my comcast dvr and I could have ported it to my panny dvr but there was nothing salacious about it. Just a blank screen for 3 minutes while the guys talked baseball. It was very weird however...

-Ken
Old 03-16-2008, 07:47 PM

My apologies if there is a separate thread for this, but I couldn't find one.

Is anyone else having the problem with the Comcast Tivo where season pass manager and most of the search functionality becomes "temporarily unavailable" permanently? For over a week these features have been "temporarily unavailable." I saw a blog post that mentioned this problem, but no details about the cause or a fix. Shut the box down and left it unplugged for a 5 minutes, but had same problem after restart.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:03 PM

FWIW, my friend who works for Comcast tells me his bosses rolled out their strategy for the upcoming 18-24 months last week. The highlights:

- They hope to have the entire New England market go "All Digital" near the end of 2008. Everything but the basic channels.

- The removal of Expanded Basic channels opens up enough bandwidth for 100-150 HD channels ASAP.

- DOCSIS 3.0 should be a go by the end of the year, and they're going to seriously turn up the juice. They may dedicate 10 "channels" worth of bandwidth to Data, which they feel will also ease the vast majority of congestion issues they have now.

- OnDemand is about to get enormous. 6,000 movies per month by the middle of 2009, and their goal is five years from now, they want to have the ability to put every show and movie ever made onto their OnDemand servers.

- The ability to program a Motorola DVR from the web is "maybe two months away".

My friend said the decision makers at Comcast say they realize the company has fallen behind some competitors in certain areas, and they're motivated to regain the competitive edge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement