AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5 View Post

Jim,

The tech that was out here was very knowledgeable and I milked him for all the info I could
He seemed to know a lot about the upgrades and what's going on with it and while he didn't know specifically about Santa Rosa the little he did know was that Santa Rosa shouldn't be as hard as some of the other areas ( he mentioned Sunnyvale as an example ) since a lot of the stuff was already in place.

As far as the Tivo, I kick myself for waiting so long to get it, it's just so easy to set up and do your recordings and do searches on just about any key word, actor, show type etc..... Comcast needs to buy out Tivo and use these boxes as their own...
The only thing it doesn't do is set reminders of upcoming shows, which I do miss from the old Motorola box and it doesn't do VOD but I don't get it now so I don't know what I'm missing. I'm hoping the November update will enable Tivotogo but we'll have to see what happens then. So far it's been great but I'll see if I feel the same way in a couple of weeks

Laters,
Mikef5

When I had my CCs installed over a year ago I did it myself, the tech just handled the phonework with the office, went smooth as silk.

For reminders, just set the program to record. With a TiVo you'll find you do less actual watching live, I think of it as a huge server/database that I go in and select what I want to see, it grabs them(within their actual air schedule) and then I watch them when I want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 15346 Old 09-25-2007, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendek View Post

Mike, is this your first TiVo? you will not be able to live without it very shortly. i still have two Series 2 TiVo's. they are the best thing since sliced bread. i haven't been following the TiVoHD thread, tho... you mentioned that they are going to enable TiVoToGo on them soon?
wendek

It will be enabled in Nov.
post #2973 of 15346 Old 09-25-2007, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

When I had my CCs installed over a year ago I did it myself, the tech just handled the phonework with the office, went smooth as silk.

For reminders, just set the program to record. With a TiVo you'll find you do less actual watching live, I think of it as a huge server/database that I go in and select what I want to see, it grabs them(within their actual air schedule) and then I watch them when I want.

Sort of like having your own Video On Demand

It looks like the techs around the Bay Area seem to have more on the ball than what I've read about in the other areas of the country. I guess it sometimes pays to be on the Left Coast

Laters,
Mikef5
post #2974 of 15346 Old 09-25-2007, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendek View Post

Mike, is this your first TiVo? you will not be able to live without it very shortly. i still have two Series 2 TiVo's. they are the best thing since sliced bread. i haven't been following the TiVoHD thread, tho... you mentioned that they are going to enable TiVoToGo on them soon?
wendek

Yep, first one and if all goes well in the next couple of months I'll get another for the front room. So far it's done everything it claims to do and has a lot of features that just aren't available on the Motorola boxes. Maybe when the new guide comes out for the Motorola boxes it'll get better with the feature set but right now nothing is close to the Tivo.

Laters,
Mikef5
post #2975 of 15346 Old 09-25-2007, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

dam you guys. i just ordered a CC-install for friday. now i just need to pick one of these babies up today at costco do i need to have a subscription in place before i can use it?
post #2976 of 15346 Old 09-25-2007, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeykid View Post

dam you guys. i just ordered a CC-install for friday. now i just need to pick one of these babies up today at costco do i need to have a subscription in place before i can use it?

You have about a week of free use before you need a TiVo sub.
post #2977 of 15346 Old 09-25-2007, 05:03 PM
c3
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeykid View Post

dam you guys.

Resistance is futile.
post #2978 of 15346 Old 09-25-2007, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker View Post

You have about a week of free use before you need a TiVo sub.

thanks. i really have no idea what all the great features this tivo will have, or how it will make my life better. eager to find out however.
post #2979 of 15346 Old 09-25-2007, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Anyone in the Oakland Hills or anywhere else out there lose KPIX (705) this afternoon? It reads "One moment please" Channel should be available shortly.
post #2980 of 15346 Old 09-25-2007, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffjxc View Post

Anyone in the Oakland Hills or anywhere else out there lose KPIX (705) this afternoon? It reads "One moment please" Channel should be available shortly.

I've got that same thing going on in Rohnert park as well. Must be widespread.

Bobby 

post #2981 of 15346 Old 09-25-2007, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

I've got that same thing going on in Rohnert park as well. Must be widespread.

Thanks.
post #2982 of 15346 Old 09-25-2007, 06:02 PM

I just noticed 725 nfl network, little early surprise today!
post #2983 of 15346 Old 09-25-2007, 08:56 PM

NFL Network's live here in Mt. View as well, looks great. NFL Network SD was one of the networks that was just awful to watch when you knew the HD one was out there.
post #2984 of 15346 Old 09-26-2007, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Must be nice.....
NO NFLNET-HD in San jose as of this morning.
post #2985 of 15346 Old 09-26-2007, 11:51 AM

Lot of happy people over on the Direct TV forums (20+ new HD channels up and running today with more coming in weeks). Looks tempting-cant wait to see comcasts response....
post #2986 of 15346 Old 09-26-2007, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBruno View Post

Lot of happy people over on the Direct TV forums (20+ new HD channels up and running today with more coming in weeks). Looks tempting-cant wait to see comcasts response....

In addition to the ones that just came up, these are in test mode on the transponders and should be on soon:
Food Network
HGTV
MHD (MTV brand channel)
National Geographic
Cinemax-E
Cinemax-W
HBO-W
Bravo
Cartoon Network
Chiller
CNBC
Fuel
FX
MTV
NBA TV
VH1
SciFi Channel
Speed
USA Network
The Tennis Channel

I think they are also supposed to have 5-6 more HBO HD channels active by the end of the year, plus a bunch of regional sports nets.

Then there is another chunk that is supposed to get turned up in the front part of 08 too.

Thanks,
Mike
post #2987 of 15346 Old 09-26-2007, 12:41 PM

^^^^^
That makes it even harder for me-knowing so much more is coming from Direct TV. I gave comcast unitl the end of this year to add just a few more good HD channels to my area. If not I will reluctantly make the switch.
post #2988 of 15346 Old 09-26-2007, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBruno View Post

^^^^^
That makes it even harder for me-knowing so much more is coming from Direct TV. I gave comcast unitl the end of this year to add just a few more good HD channels to my area. If not I will reluctantly make the switch.

If you care about getting the most HD content, you should just switch to DirecTV now. Comcast is just not going to catch up here. Part of it is a spectrum issue on the plant, and part of it is that they do not want to do the same deals for HD programming that Direct is willing to do.

Comcast does give you the video without downrezzing though, so the channels they do offer, they offer with the highest quality.

If someone from Comcast wants to argue with me that they intend to catch up to DirecTV in terms of the number of HD channels they carry, or at least come close, I would love to be proven wrong, but that isn't what I am hearing from my friends back east.

PS I also understand that after this next batch of channels comes on, that there are going to be a set of commercials run that will make fun of the limited number of HD channels that cable offers compared to DirecTV. They intend to rub it in the MSO's faces and try and grab a bunch of premium subs from cable with that campaign...

Thanks,
mike
post #2989 of 15346 Old 09-26-2007, 01:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSM View Post

Comcast does give you the video without downrezzing though, so the channels they do offer, they offer with the highest quality.

Thanks,
mike

It remains to be confirmed, one way or the other, but I watched some of Into The Blue(Jessica Alba) this morning on TMC-HD(I think) and it looked pretty darn good. Of course, it's film-based content so it should look pretty good, even if they are down-rezzing. Haven't really checked any video-based content yet.

But hey, at this point, give me FX, SciFi and USA in HD, from anywhere, and I'll be happy for at least a good while. I definitely don't see those 3 hitting my TV screen from a Comcast feed anytime soon in my neighborhood.
post #2990 of 15346 Old 09-26-2007, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks like HGTV and Food TV in HD will be rolled out across Comcast markets throughout 2008...

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/news/rec..._id=1003646686

Thanks,
Mike
post #2991 of 15346 Old 09-26-2007, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

It remains to be confirmed, one way or the other, but I watched some of Into The Blue(Jessica Alba) this morning on TMC-HD(I think) and it looked pretty darn good. Of course, it's film-based content so it should look pretty good, even if they are down-rezzing. Haven't really checked any video-based content yet.

But hey, at this point, give me FX, SciFi and USA in HD, from anywhere, and I'll be happy for at least a good while. I definitely don't see those 3 hitting my TV screen from a Comcast feed anytime soon in my neighborhood.

I have to say, the technology that DirecTV is using to do their video processing is VERY GOOD. Not that it is perfect compared to the original, but they do a very good job. Sounds like you agree.

Thanks,
Mike
post #2992 of 15346 Old 09-26-2007, 01:28 PM

No- I do not care about how many channels I get. However, between comcast leaving out several crucial ones in my area (ABC-HD, Food Network, HGTV, and several more), and their lack of ability to clearly, consistently or accuratly answer my quetions regarding what channels, if any, are to be added and when, they fall short.

Looking forward to see if Direct TV's commericals can sway me!!!
post #2993 of 15346 Old 09-26-2007, 01:33 PM

p.s. I appreciate all the feedback/information here regarding the pros and cons of both Comcast and Direct!!!

I trust this forum and the members more than any/all the claims by any company.
post #2994 of 15346 Old 09-26-2007, 01:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSM View Post

I have to say, the technology that DirecTV is using to do their video processing is VERY GOOD. Not that it is perfect compared to the original, but they do a very good job. Sounds like you agree.

Thanks,
Mike

I plan to do some direct comparisons with Comcast locals vs DirecTV locals this weekend, but my initial impression is that the D* locals are looking pretty good as well. Definitely better than the MPEG2 stuff they have.
post #2995 of 15346 Old 09-26-2007, 01:56 PM

In my Area of San Jose, NFL HD came available around 10pm on ch 725. Also I read from comcast PR awhile back HGTV and Food TV in HD were coming in sept. But now that look like that not going to happen because that next confirmed HD Channels to be added is TBS HD and CNN HD.
post #2996 of 15346 Old 09-26-2007, 02:03 PM

Couple of my friends live in Fremont received phone call from Comcast saying the analog channels will be removed in Oct. Comcast will provide STB to them.

I wonder if this is related to DirecTV HD launch.
post #2997 of 15346 Old 09-26-2007, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmsyl View Post

Couple of my friends live in Fremont received phone call from Comcast saying the analog channels will be removed in Oct. Comcast will provide STB to them.

I wonder if this is related to DirecTV HD launch.

Don't think it's directly related to D* launch as they have been working on eliminating analog for a while now. How many STBs and will they be free forever?
post #2998 of 15346 Old 09-26-2007, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Sounds like Fremont is gonna have a ton of bandwidth soon!
post #2999 of 15346 Old 09-26-2007, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by siouxmoux View Post

In my Area of San Jose, NFL HD came available around 10pm on ch 725......

Geeze....
I had it intermittantly last night as "this channel should be available shortly", then it actually came on for a little bit, then the channel disappeared altogether, and was still gone as of 10am this morning. I'm in South San Jose....why wouldn't we all be the same?
post #3000 of 15346 Old 09-26-2007, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

"...Couple of my friends live in Fremont received phone call from Comcast saying the analog channels will be removed in Oct. Comcast will provide STB to them...."

No way, seems too drastic of a change for those who still have analog-only TVs and no STB. Can we get a CC rep to confirm this? Would be awesome though, if it's true!
That darn flying pig should be posted again soon here, I imagine!

MY DILEMMA: New car or PJ? New car or PJ? New car or PJ?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page