Forum Jump: 

Old 02-26-2007, 01:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgould View Post

Yes, they added KFTY-DT at least a few weeks ago? I only noticed it when Tivo sound some extra Star Trek: TOS episodes. Nicer digital quality than TVLand 72 w/ the channel bug at bottom...

In case you weren't aware, those on KFTY and KBHK are worth watching if you are a Trek fan because they've enhanced the SFX with CGI. For example, the original "Doomsday Device" episode had a long shot of the Constellation ramming the planet killer. In the enhanced version, you actually see the Constellaton on an erratic course and actually tumbling in as it breaches the opening.

I heard the CGI was done in hi-def, so curses to Comcast for delivering us analog-converted KBHK!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2007, 02:06 AM

I have had some Comcast locations myself deny CCs or deny that they hand them out. Why is that?
Old 02-26-2007, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRogue View Post

I have had some Comcast locations myself deny CCs or deny that they hand them out. Why is that?

Cannot 'Self Install' a cable card.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barovelli View Post

Cannot 'Self Install' a cable card.

Barovelli:

I presume this is the official local Comcast policy. May I ask why not? According to the TivoCommunity forum on the TiVo Series 3, at least Comcast in the Seattle area allows self-installs of CableCards. Furthermore, self install is fairly simple (assuming one is able to read numbers off the card and the screen and communicate them correctly to a Comcast tech over the phone). Finally, Bay Area people (especially those who know about the existence of CableCards) ought to be rather tech-savvy.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fender4645 View Post

It's been a while since I've tried using the FireWire output to record to PC so maybe someone else can chime in. IIRC some networks enable it on a "per program" basis so you might want to check the diags during a program that's been giving you problems.

well in my case I can't get CBS/KPIX channel off Firewire from a Motorola 6412 (I'm in Los Gatos). I can get Fox, NBC, ABC, KQED etc., but CBS just won't come through. Not even local programming. I read somewhere that CBS uses the broadcast flag and that the Moto reads that. weenies. it doesn't appear to be 5C, because that isn't set according to d11 diags.

thankfully my HDHomeRun works OK.

edit: on fruther checking it's the CCI=0x02 copy-once issue, which I believe instructs the DVR not to pass on the stream to any other box.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlou99 View Post

In case you weren't aware, those on KFTY and KBHK are worth watching if you are a Trek fan because they've enhanced the SFX with CGI. For example, the original "Doomsday Device" episode had a long shot of the Constellation ramming the planet killer. In the enhanced version, you actually see the Constellaton on an erratic course and actually tumbling in as it breaches the opening.

I heard the CGI was done in hi-def, so curses to Comcast for delivering us analog-converted KBHK!!!

errrr does KBHK even broadcast star trek in HD? we're talking about our local CW right? only the primetime stuff is in HD. i know. i use an antenna. so even if "evil" comcast passed digital KBHK to us, your favorite show still wouldn't be in HD. anyway forget trek, the best scifi show ever is battlestar galactica. and that i can see on UHD
Old 02-26-2007, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeykid View Post

errrr does KBHK even broadcast star trek in HD? we're talking about our local CW right? only the primetime stuff is in HD. i know. i use an antenna. so even if "evil" comcast passed digital KBHK to us, your favorite show still wouldn't be in HD. anyway forget trek, the best scifi show ever is battlestar galactica. and that i can see on UHD

There was some confusion whether CBS would bother to send HD TOS to any stations, so I don't think it's KBHK's fault. I'm pretty sure it's not Comcast's fault.
http://trekmovie.com/tos-in-hd/#faq
Old 02-26-2007, 11:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Anyone notice the lower bandwidth and picture quality on Prison Break and 24 tonight. i just flipped the channels and thought it didn't look that clean and when i looked at my computer (using Miglia HD tuner), i saw that both shows used up 5gb rather than the usual 6.4gb each this evening...
Old 02-27-2007, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgould View Post

There was some confusion whether CBS would bother to send HD TOS to any stations, so I don't think it's KBHK's fault. I'm pretty sure it's not Comcast's fault.
http://trekmovie.com/tos-in-hd/#faq

Ah, thanks cgould and nikeykid for the clarification. After a move I no longer get KBHK OTA, so I didn't know it was in std-def.

So still curses to Comcast for not giving us KBHK in hi-def, but not because of Trek
Old 02-27-2007, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlou99 View Post

So still curses to Comcast for not giving us KBHK in hi-def, but not because of Trek

It would be very hard for Comcast, or the satellite providers, to give you KBHK in high definition. KBHK doesn't exist. It became KBCW on July 1, 2006. BTW, none of the providers have KBCW in high definition at this time.

Bobby 

Old 02-27-2007, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

It would be very hard for Comcast, or the satellite providers, to give you KBHK in high definition. KBHK doesn't exist. It became KBCW on July 1, 2006. BTW, none of the providers have KBCW in high definition at this time.

i don't mind this so much since CW doesn't have much HD programming, but the limited ones that they do are worth checking out sometimes. i do have an antenna but I hate having to switch my video feed from HDMI to antenna and back and switch my receiver input. that's what? 3 extra buttons I have to push. i also can't stand how the motos can't accept OTA and record OTA. but being able to switch over to CW without all the extra button pushing, not being able to record CW is not enough for me to invest in a s3.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone else have their DVR go bonkers last night? (6412)
Mine said it was full and I needed to erase recordings....In reality, I had one recording saved and space was at 7%! Then it failed to record a scheduled listing. Some future scheduled recordings (especially 8pm KPIX) have no description and there are no menu icons to cancel or reset. Full reboots have not resolved this. Worse of all.....it ATE my 2-year old recording of the Lingerie Bowl! POS!!!
Old 02-28-2007, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mds54 View Post

Anyone else have their DVR go bonkers last night? (6412)
Mine said it was full and I needed to erase recordings....In reality, I had one recording saved and space was at 7%! Then it failed to record a scheduled listing. Some future scheduled recordings (especially 8pm KPIX) have no description and there are no menu icons to cancel or reset. Full reboots have not resolved this. Worse of all.....it ATE my 2-year old recording of the Lingerie Bowl! POS!!!

I have had similar phantom "disk full" errors with my 3412. (The list of recordings says 100% used, but after I delete a recording, it "resets" to the correct value, usually 9 or 10%.) I was never able to figure out exactly what caused it, but I think it had something to do with a combination of both tuners being on HD channels and a number of future recordings with "keep until I delete". I switched all of my scheduled recordings to "Keep until space needed", and the problem has not occured since then.

-- Don
Old 02-28-2007, 06:53 PM

Is anybody else picking up FSN-NE on 720? I was flipping through the channels and noticed there's a Celtics game on. As long as I can still see all the local HD stuff on FSN, I'd be pretty stoked to get a regional HD feed the rest of the time. I'm sure it's just a fluke and won't last long.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Yes, in Santa Rosa, a national game maybe?
Old 02-28-2007, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbear289 View Post

Is anybody else picking up FSN-NE on 720? I was flipping through the channels and noticed there's a Celtics game on. As long as I can still see all the local HD stuff on FSN, I'd be pretty stoked to get a regional HD feed the rest of the time. I'm sure it's just a fluke and won't last long.

you are stoked to get a celtics game?? i would rather watch the warriors. :\\
Old 02-28-2007, 07:17 PM

Quote:
you are stoked to get a celtics game?? i would rather watch the warriors. :\\

I'm sure they'll play somebody good soon
Old 02-28-2007, 09:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeykid View Post

anyway forget trek, the best scifi show ever is battlestar galactica. and that i can see on UHD

Wrong. That title belongs to Babylon 5.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:18 PM

Hi all. I have been reading up the thread and would just like to share my experience with comcast. I used to have the digital classic package with the moto6412 tuner, but I recently put together a mythtv backend w/ 2 qam tuners, and it was receving the unencrypted local HD channels fine. So I dropped my service to "expanded basic cable" (~$35 i think), mythtv still getting the local channels fine, so i decided to drop one more level, to "limited basic" (~$15). And guess what, now I can't get the local HD channels any more.

So i called comcast, and they told me i, due to the filter that was put on at my end (apt building i guess), the local hd channel signals are blocked out. if i wanted to get the local HD channels, i'd have to pay an extra $5 and get the STB that can receive the signal. to this i ask, but the filter is still in place? "yes it would be"...

My question is this then, if the they don't remove the filter, which they claim is blocking out the local hd signals, how can their little box get the signal? by magic?? or is it because of the filter somehow the signal is weakened so that my qam tuner (fusionhdtv 5 lite) can't tune to the channels?

oh yea, i'm located in san jose, 95112.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mungwi View Post

Hi all. I have been reading up the thread and would just like to share my experience with comcast. I used to have the digital classic package with the moto6412 tuner, but I recently put together a mythtv backend w/ 2 qam tuners, and it was receving the unencrypted local HD channels fine. So I dropped my service to "expanded basic cable" (~$35 i think), mythtv still getting the local channels fine, so i decided to drop one more level, to "limited basic" (~$15). And guess what, now I can't get the local HD channels any more.

So i called comcast, and they told me i, due to the filter that was put on at my end (apt building i guess), the local hd channel signals are blocked out. if i wanted to get the local HD channels, i'd have to pay an extra $5 and get the STB that can receive the signal. to this i ask, but the filter is still in place? "yes it would be"...

My question is this then, if the they don't remove the filter, which they claim is blocking out the local hd signals, how can their little box get the signal? by magic?? or is it because of the filter somehow the signal is weakened so that my qam tuner (fusionhdtv 5 lite) can't tune to the channels?

oh yea, i'm located in san jose, 95112.

If you rent their stb, they will probably take the filter off. They can control what you get in the box itself. So, for $5 a month you can rent their box, put a splitter on the coax before the box and probably get the expanded basic cable as well as the local HD channels.....

Bobby 

Old 03-01-2007, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmmm...makes sense. Guess I will keep my $5/month HD box so I can continue to use my QAM tuners on my other TV. I think you might want to pay the $5 because you get ESPN-HD, Discovery-HD, and maybe a few more HD channels. I get to watch the Sharks in HD (like last night). For $5/month, I think it's a good deal.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

If the TV tuner card can't see the channel because of the filter, I don't see how a box would be able to.

Might have the wrong filter (or one that was dropped from a pole). I'd make a service call and just say "not getting all my channels", never mind the details, save them for the tech.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Yes, that's what I had to do. I haven't noticed any bugs yet.

That's good.

The volume is always too loud.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post

I have had similar phantom "disk full" errors with my 3412. (The list of recordings says 100% used, but after I delete a recording, it "resets" to the correct value, usually 9 or 10%.) I was never able to figure out exactly what caused it, but I think it had something to do with a combination of both tuners being on HD channels and a number of future recordings with "keep until I delete". I switched all of my scheduled recordings to "Keep until space needed", and the problem has not occured since then.

-- Don

I had this happen once last month. I rebooted, and it went away. This box is such a P.O.S.... Mine has had remote stutter like a mo fo lately. I wonder if this is caused by the box downloading something and putting that at higher priority.

On another note... I hear that the PPV UFC shows are supposed to be in HD now. How does that work? Can comcast broadcast HD on one of the PPV channels? If they do, what about us in the 550MHz slums?
Old 03-01-2007, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace View Post

On another note... I hear that the PPV UFC shows are supposed to be in HD now. How does that work? Can comcast broadcast HD on one of the PPV channels? If they do, what about us in the 550MHz slums?

It's more likely that, rather than Comcast broadcasting HD on a PPV channel, they would broadcast PPV on an existing HD channel (isn't 719 the "HD PPV" channel when they need one?).

Changing an existing channel to PPV temporarily is nothing new. Anybody out there who had Viacom remember when MTV was replaced for three hours by (a scrambled) WrestleMania VI back in 1990? (The last time I remember them doing something like this was for the 1992 Olympic TripleCast.)

-- Don
Old 03-01-2007, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have just noticed that Mountain View has been switched to ADS, my HD box has lost access to the FoodTV channel at 35 (I only have basic) and I have to use my tv on analog to get it.

Is the whole bay area switched to ads ?
Old 03-02-2007, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranle View Post

I have just noticed that Mountain View has been switched to ADS, my HD box has lost access to the FoodTV channel at 35 (I only have basic) and I have to use my tv on analog to get it.

I think it's only those areas above 550MHz that have ADS.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

FoodTV is an expanded basic channel. If you only have basic, you're not supposed to get it. ADS has nothing to do with it. ADS simulcasts both analog and digital. If you got it before, Comcast has probably placed a filter on your line.

Bobby 

Old 03-02-2007, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think you are extrapolating too much.

Mountain View has had ADS for almost a year. They are slowly migrating profiles to ADS.

Most likely you have been switched to ADS (digital expanded basic is encrypted), but to conclude the city has been switched to ADS is a little aggressive. I confirmed there are folks in MtView using both STB and CC who are still profiled to get analog 2-99
Old 03-02-2007, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

FoodTV is an expanded basic channel. If you only have basic, you're not supposed to get it. ADS has nothing to do with it. ADS simulcasts both analog and digital. If you got it before, Comcast has probably placed a filter on your line.

Probably missed the second half of the sentence where he said analog on his TV still gets it, so it shouldn't be filter related.