Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 15238 Old 03-09-2007, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by walk View Post

Well, the Comcast box is really horrible at 1080i to -> 720p conversion in my experience. Best thing to do is set the box to 1080i and let your display downscale it to 720p if needed.

I don't think this has changed in ....uh, ever.

FOX/KTVU 702 = 720p
NBC 703 = 1080i
KRON 704 = ? 1080i I *think*
CBS 705 = 1080i
ABC 707 = 720p
PBS 709 = 1080i I think
INHD 719 = 1080i
FSN 720 = 1080i
ESPN & ESPN2 723/724 = 720p
725 when on air = ? 1080i I think, ie for NFL-TV.
TNTHD 727 = 1080i
UHD 728 = 1080i

HBO is 1080i, as is all the premium-pay channels.

Thank you for all the info!

What about Discovery HD?

My Screen Sample Testing:
Thread: 25+ Screen Samples - Testing w/ AE900U
Screen Shots: My AVS Gallery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 15238 Old 03-09-2007, 03:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberylec View Post

Thank you for all the info!

What about Discovery HD?

1080i

For the national channels, check the first post in the below linked thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=164671
The Official AVS HDTV Programming Synopsis - Winter 2006! - AVS Forum
post #453 of 15238 Old 03-09-2007, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlw2000 View Post

I don't pay attention to ATSC anymore. I only care about QAM which allows you to pull in the digital channels straight from the cable. That way you don't need a cable box. However, you can only get channels that are NOT encoded. Here in Santa Clara, I get all the major stations like ABC, NBC, CBS, BOX, and PBS. The beauty is the High Definitions channels that are only digital.

Was hoping you guys can help clarify some questions I have about comcast here.

I am in San Jose, CA 95132 (SJ/Milpitas border). I currently only have the cable internet package with Comcast, their highest one in the area at 8megs down/756 up. Current cost right now is $70 a month.

I want to keep the same internet package but also want to add the most basic cable package available so that I can tune into the HD local channels (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX). I am planning on getting the HDHomerun PC tuner that supports QAM and ATSC so I can record the comcast QAM HD local channels (primarily FOX, CBS, and NBC).

So my question to you guys is:

For my area (95132), what HD channels are broadcasted in the "clear" that a QAM tuner can tune to via Comcast?

As I am only interested in the basic local HD networks, what is the lowest cost cable package must I add to my package so I can get FOX, CBX, and NBC in HD via my QAM tuner? Do I need the digital package or can I get away with just the basic?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
post #454 of 15238 Old 03-09-2007, 11:20 PM

I called Comcast again today and asked to set up an appointment for the CableCARD installation. And I also asked repeatedly if there will be any increase in my monthly bill, and this time the answer is no and only a one time $15.99 installation fee.

I'll hold my breath until I get my next bill. (Or saving my breath to get ready for a long conversation w/ CSR if things does not pan out.)

Quote:

No that sounds right.

Digital cable package = $X/mo
+ Includes one (SD) box -or- one CableCard for free (but not both).
+ Upgrade to HD box = $5.

Add't Outlet = $6.95 (SD box) -> upgrade to HD box = $5.

For example I have Digital Classic, one DVR, and one 6200 (non-DVR HDTV box).
I pay $X for Digital (it went up, think it's $12 now).
Then $12.95 for the DVR box.
Then $6.95 + $5 = $11.95 for the 2nd HD box.

post #455 of 15238 Old 03-10-2007, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourDoor View Post

Was hoping you guys can help clarify some questions I have about comcast here.

I am in San Jose, CA 95132 (SJ/Milpitas border). I currently only have the cable internet package with Comcast, their highest one in the area at 8megs down/756 up. Current cost right now is $70 a month.

I want to keep the same internet package but also want to add the most basic cable package available so that I can tune into the HD local channels (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX). I am planning on getting the HDHomerun PC tuner that supports QAM and ATSC so I can record the comcast QAM HD local channels (primarily FOX, CBS, and NBC).

So my question to you guys is:

For my area (95132), what HD channels are broadcasted in the "clear" that a QAM tuner can tune to via Comcast?

As I am only interested in the basic local HD networks, what is the lowest cost cable package must I add to my package so I can get FOX, CBX, and NBC in HD via my QAM tuner? Do I need the digital package or can I get away with just the basic?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

I'm close to you in Santa Clara, but not totally sure if San Jose has the same package. Anyway, I pay for the very basic analog package. It's only around $13/month (then add taxes and other charges). I get FOX, NBC, ABC, CBS, and PBS all in HD. I have 2 TV's with QAM and 1 PC with a QAM HD tuner that I can record. So far, works great.

I always thought your internet package would be $10 cheaper if you had cable TV as well. If that is still the case, you might get the TV package really cheap . I had switched to DSL almost two years ago so I don't know if the bundling discount still applies.
post #456 of 15238 Old 03-10-2007, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Thanks karlw2000. I called Comcast yesterday and they quoted me $100 total to get both the same internet speed right now and a cable package. I'll give them a call again and see what I can work out if all I need is the basic analog package. I think the csr may have quoted me for the digital package since I told him I wanted HD.

Since it sounds like the basic analog package will let me get to the hd qam channels. It sounds like I found my comcast plan to subscribe to.

Surprisingly enough, they also quoted me $110 if I do the cable, phone, and internet package. I'm going to need to take a look at my current phone bill and see if it will be worth the switch. I didn't ask but I'm guessing that $110 is for committing to 1 year with them.
post #457 of 15238 Old 03-11-2007, 10:12 AM

Liked: 11
All my boxes made the spring forward.

I really should not be surprised, but . . . .
post #458 of 15238 Old 03-11-2007, 12:18 PM

OK,

So I'm now on my 5th DVR in a couple of years. The good news is that Comcast gave me a brand new 3416, so I now have 40gig extra storage.

Still the same POS Moto box, though.

But I'm having deja vu with Comcast, as things are not set up right, and need advice before I take several hours off work to wait for bozo the clown to come out to my house and pretend to know what he or she's doing.

An hour after having them set up the box, I checked the interactive status and the ip address was all zeros, and the state was "unconfig." I called again and they reset the box, but after a couple hours same story (although now I don't get an error with VOD, just a stand by message).

What are the magic words I need for the CSR to avoid having a service call? The last time I had my DVR swapped was a long painful series of events (waiting in line at the service center, having two house calls, being double charged, etc). It involved a blank ip address, and somebody that the guy called while he was at the house did something to fix the problem, but it seems like I should be able to do the same without a house call.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jim
[sorry for the double post, but I need advice asap]
post #459 of 15238 Old 03-11-2007, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barovelli View Post

Mine updated too as well as my Ubuntu Linux box. My web host however blew it as the site and email were not available this morning.
post #460 of 15238 Old 03-12-2007, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barovelli View Post

I was surprised, since I still remember the first year the DVR boxes came out it took over a week for the clock to reset after DST kicked in. I'm generally surprised when Comcast gets anything right.
post #461 of 15238 Old 03-12-2007, 11:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 27
And note that the the AVS Forum does not yet have its clock changed for DST!
post #462 of 15238 Old 03-12-2007, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

And note that the the AVS Forum does not yet have its clock changed for DST!

If you go to the User CP, it magically remembers its supposed to change the TZ offest for DST. Not quite the automatic changeover promised by the setting though.
post #463 of 15238 Old 03-12-2007, 12:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by btwyx View Post

If you go to the User CP, it magically remembers its supposed to change the TZ offest for DST. Not quite the automatic changeover promised by the setting though.

Amazing! Thanks (and how did you discover this?)
post #464 of 15238 Old 03-12-2007, 12:58 PM

Are you able to get a picture with the DVI connection on your 6200 non_DVR box. For the past four months all I have been getting is snow/picture/snow using DVI. I am forced to use the component video to watch HD and SD TV.

Quote:

No that sounds right.

Digital cable package = $X/mo
+ Includes one (SD) box -or- one CableCard for free (but not both).
+ Upgrade to HD box = $5.

Add't Outlet = $6.95 (SD box) -> upgrade to HD box = $5.

For example I have Digital Classic, one DVR, and one 6200 (non-DVR HDTV box).
I pay $X for Digital (it went up, think it's $12 now).
Then $12.95 for the DVR box.
Then $6.95 + $5 = $11.95 for the 2nd HD box.

post #465 of 15238 Old 03-12-2007, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

Amazing! Thanks (and how did you discover this?)

People over at TiVoCommunity did, same BB software.
post #466 of 15238 Old 03-12-2007, 09:01 PM

Before I call Comcast CSR I'm wondering if any posters using Cable Cards (CC) have also experienced no roll forward for DST. My STB did on other TV but not on CC TV --- a Hitachi : 42HDS52A . Moreover, although I could set time zone on TV and unchecked auto DST I can't set time and minutes. Must be blocked by CC manual states CCA will set time automatically and DST. I have had no other problems with CC so don't want to have resolving time issue result in new problems. I resolved by changed PST (I live in Santa Cruz, CA) to MST and unchecked set DST. But, still wonder is I am alone with this problem.

Thank you,

slannes
post #467 of 15238 Old 03-12-2007, 09:07 PM

Before I call Comcast CSR I'm wondering if any posters using Cable Cards (CC) have also experienced no roll forward for DST. My STB did on other TV but not on CC TV --- a Hitachi : 42HDS52A . Moreover, although I could set time zone on TV and unchecked auto DST I can't set HOUR and minutes. Must be blocked by CC although manual states CC will set time automatically and DST. I have had no other problems with CC so don't want to have resolving time issue result in new problems. I resolved by changed PST (I live in Santa Cruz, CA) to MST and unchecked set DST. But, still wonder is I am alone with this problem.

Thank you,

slannes
post #468 of 15238 Old 03-12-2007, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace View Post

I was surprised, since I still remember the first year the DVR boxes came out it took over a week for the clock to reset after DST kicked in. I'm generally surprised when Comcast gets anything right.

But it's been a couple years, probably went from having some on call person watching the mother clock and making sure it changed, to a trust of the the hardware to do what it's supposed to do.

Now, the big question is what happens 3 weeks from now -
post #469 of 15238 Old 03-13-2007, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by slannes View Post

Before I call Comcast CSR I'm wondering if any posters using Cable Cards (CC) have also experienced no roll forward for DST. My STB did on other TV but not on CC TV --- a Hitachi : 42HDS52A . Moreover, although I could set time zone on TV and unchecked auto DST I can't set HOUR and minutes. Must be blocked by CC although manual states CC will set time automatically and DST. I have had no other problems with CC so don't want to have resolving time issue result in new problems. I resolved by changed PST (I live in Santa Cruz, CA) to MST and unchecked set DST. But, still wonder is I am alone with this problem.

Thank you,

slannes

If things are the way they used to be, automatic clock settings on TVs were controlled by the PBS signal. You had to tune to that channel to get the clock to set. So, try tuning channel 9 and see what happens.

Bobby 

post #470 of 15238 Old 03-13-2007, 09:52 AM

Cable card problem with DST
Quote:
Originally Posted by slannes

Thank you,

slannes

I have the same problem on my 55HDS52 (Cablevision CSR) with cablecard.
I also have a 42HDT79 with cablecard and DST was set correctly.

I removed the Cablecard from the 55HDS52 and manually set the time and also unchecked the "auto DIST" field. DST time held correctly. Reinserted the Cablecard after a few minutes, and time reverted back to "non DIST" time. Looks like the cablecard may be using the TV software to determine the dates for start and end of DST. I think the 42HDT79 has the new software for the the DST start and end dates.

Last edited by mahendriks : Yesterday at 11:47 PM. Reason: mistypeing
mahendriks is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
mahendriks
View Public Profile
Send a private message to mahendriks
Find More Posts by mahendriks
Add mahendriks to Your Buddy List
Old Today, 10:38 AM #1556 (Print)
slannes

Thank you for your reply. Bought my set in March 2006 and thus can only speculate Hitachi was aware DST law was singed into law in 2005 but since did not become effective until this year they programmed in old DST change dates on units sold prior to 2006 DST or would have been inaccurate for old DST change last year. Possibly a firmware will correct but I doubt it. So unless firmware to update pre 07 DST sets --------- moving clock time zone from PST to MST only solution other than STB but then bad SD on Comcast.

Thanks again,

slannes
post #471 of 15238 Old 03-13-2007, 01:19 PM

Stephen,

Thank you for visiting the Hitachi website and for your inquiry.

Yes, we now have a upgrade and I've arranged to have it sent to you. However, I don't think it is going to fix the time in your TV. The time is actually set by the signal from your cable service, and if their clock is wrong, then yours is too.

If you have any further questions about any Hitachi product, please call our technical assistance number at 1-800-HITACHI. Please reference your e-mail address when you call in as a customer service file has been created based upon your e-mail contact.

Again, thank you for your interest in Hitachi.

Keith, Hitachi Home Electronics
--Original Message--

Is there a new firmware for 42HDS52A SERIAL NO. V6B011793 to replace firmware V0100.0003. Daylight savings Time (DST) did not roll forward and with Cable Card (on Comcast) can't readjust clock hour. Since I can only uncheck auto DST but I can't readust clock hour or minutes it appears to me this model is programmed for old DST.

Thank you,

Stephen Lannes
post #472 of 15238 Old 03-13-2007, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I'm going to repeat this again. Try tuning to channel 9. They have the clock setting signal. I just went to one of my TVs that is directly off the cable and is analog. The time said 10:38 PM. I tuned to channel 9 and the time went to 1:58PM, the correct time.

Bobby 

post #473 of 15238 Old 03-13-2007, 03:27 PM

Thanks again --------I tried again to no avail. I'll call Comcast to see what gives. I don' t think they can feed correct time into cable card. Tried both PBS 9 and 10.

Slannes
post #474 of 15238 Old 03-13-2007, 04:00 PM

Called Comcast -who sent signal through which did nothing; then had me pull cable card turn TV off reinsert etc which still did nothing. So Comcast coming Thursday. Should be interesting!
Also ----- interesting---- I'm the only one who has had this problem so far that they've heard from.

slannes
post #475 of 15238 Old 03-13-2007, 05:33 PM

Just an update in case someone is searching through for the same issue. I spoke to 4 folks from Comcast who gave me 4 separate answers; not only did they contradict each other but they contradicted themselves.

Anyway, after having them send several signals, and reloading the firmware, I was still showing an "unconfig" state and blank ip address, so I returned the box. First they tried to give me a 3412 and I said I was returning a 3416 and didn't want to lose the extra storage. Of course she said there's no difference, but went back and found a 3416.

The new box was able to acquire the ip address.

From what they tell me, the warehouse was supposed to test this before sending it out to the service center and didn't, but who knows. One of the CSRs I spoke with said that this was a 50/50 problem.

What a pain, as usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooey91 View Post

OK,

So I'm now on my 5th DVR in a couple of years. The good news is that Comcast gave me a brand new 3416, so I now have 40gig extra storage.

Still the same POS Moto box, though.

But I'm having deja vu with Comcast, as things are not set up right, and need advice before I take several hours off work to wait for bozo the clown to come out to my house and pretend to know what he or she's doing.

An hour after having them set up the box, I checked the interactive status and the ip address was all zeros, and the state was "unconfig." I called again and they reset the box, but after a couple hours same story (although now I don't get an error with VOD, just a stand by message).

What are the magic words I need for the CSR to avoid having a service call? The last time I had my DVR swapped was a long painful series of events (waiting in line at the service center, having two house calls, being double charged, etc). It involved a blank ip address, and somebody that the guy called while he was at the house did something to fix the problem, but it seems like I should be able to do the same without a house call.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jim
[sorry for the double post, but I need advice asap]

post #476 of 15238 Old 03-13-2007, 10:52 PM

Whats up with 704 / KRON? It seems they are showing mostly upconverts of their SD channel these days. Also I think they are doing 720p not 1080i.
post #477 of 15238 Old 03-13-2007, 10:53 PM

Anyone else getting picture breakups periodically on some chans like UHD? Maybe my S3 TiVo is the problem, or could it be Comcast?
post #478 of 15238 Old 03-14-2007, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDHTPC View Post

Whats up with 704 / KRON? It seems they are showing mostly upconverts of their SD channel these days. Also I think they are doing 720p not 1080i.

my network tv, which is their network affiliation, has dropped their telenoleva format and now is going half reality, half scripted, and some movies. This obviously makes them not 100% HD now. MNTV is garbage, always was, always is and always will be. and KRON unfortunately is being taken down with it.

just my opinion.
post #479 of 15238 Old 03-14-2007, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeykid View Post

my network tv, which is their network affiliation, has dropped their telenoleva format and now is going half reality, half scripted, and some movies. This obviously makes them not 100% HD now. MNTV is garbage, always was, always is and always will be. and KRON unfortunately is being taken down with it.

just my opinion.

Totally agree but KRON is doing it to themselves. They were recently bought out and since that time management has made major cuts in their operations and their staff and have curtailed their HD programing and now simulcasts their SD programing on their digital channel. Their programing consists of traffic, weather and Rob Black. They now have become a total waste of bandwidth and I really see no future for them as they exist now.

Laters,
Mikef5
post #480 of 15238 Old 03-14-2007, 11:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5 View Post

Totally agree but KRON is doing it to themselves. They were recently bought out and since that time management has made major cuts in their operations and their staff and have curtailed their HD programing and now simulcasts their SD programing on their digital channel. Their programing consists of traffic, weather and Rob Black. They now have become a total waste of bandwidth and I really see no future for them as they exist now.

Laters,
Mikef5

KRON's downhill slide started when NBC refused to pay the price they wanted to become a NBC/Uni O&O, NBC bought Granite's KNTV instead, and the rest is history. At one time KRON was valued at around 800 million plus, I doubt it's worth 60% of that now.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page