San Francisco, CA - Comcast - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 15238 Old 04-01-2007, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i think i speak for all my fellow bean counters when i say.... bean counters love hd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 15238 Old 04-01-2007, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeykid View Post

i think i speak for all my fellow bean counters when i say.... bean counters love hd.

Yes, it means more beans to count.... and you can count them in HD

Nothing wrong with being a bean counter, you've got to know how many beans you've got so you can spend them all.... on HD programing

Laters,
Mikef5
post #723 of 15238 Old 04-01-2007, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Totally off topic, but have you guys seen the 'Save a lot' Comcast commercial? Man that one cracks me up.
post #724 of 15238 Old 04-02-2007, 12:19 AM

Number 1 CW-HD
Number 2 National Geographic's HD
Number 3 The History Channel HD

(Clear QAM too please )

When would new channels be added?
post #725 of 15238 Old 04-02-2007, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fender4645 View Post

Totally off topic, but have you guys seen the 'Save a lot' Comcast commercial? Man that one cracks me up.

I thought the "save a buck" one was funnier (mildly, visually at least), where the guy gives mouth-to-mouth to a deer... but protesters for a parking lot is also

not sure how much we're actually saving though, given all the recent cost increases, and isn't a lot(sorry, bunch) of the triple-play savings temporary/short-term rates?
post #726 of 15238 Old 04-02-2007, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

More HD to be added to SaraMilgatos area and no not an April Fools joke !!!!

I know this is going to be hard to believe but it's true.... the message as I received it.
____________________________________________________________ ________

We are working on ADDING HD channels in the South Bay, on April 5th!

Here is what we are planning

We will launch 3 additional HD channels in Los Gatos & Saratoga
Vs/Golf HD launches on Digital Classic HD channel 721 in Los Gatos and Saratoga.
ESPN 2 HD launches on Digital Classic HD channel 724 in Los Gatos and Saratoga.
TNT HD launches on Digital Classic HD channel 726 in Los Gatos and Saratoga.

In Milpitas:
Vs/Golf HD launches on Digital Classic HD channel 721
As you may recall we just launched in Milpitas a new Hispanic Tier of programming which includes ten channels along w/ GMA Pinoy.
That accounts for the difference in HD channel adds between Los Gatos/Saratoga and Milpitas.

So good news for the SaraMilgatos area with the addition of new HD and hopefully more to come when the upgrades are completed.
No new news on the other channels for the rest of the Bay Area but I would imagine they can't be to far away.

Laters,
Mikef5
post #727 of 15238 Old 04-02-2007, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Very cool. I wonder what they're doing to free up the bandwidth?
post #728 of 15238 Old 04-02-2007, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fender4645 View Post

Very cool. I wonder what they're doing to free up the bandwidth?

Wish I knew but what ever it is I wish they would use more of it for Milpitas. I would've liked to have ESPN-2 HD added rather than the Hispanic programing but that's a money maker for Comcast so I don't see it happening. Oh well, I guess we wait for the upgrades to get done before that will happen. Better happen before the end of baseball season though

Laters,
Mikef5
post #729 of 15238 Old 04-02-2007, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Comcast could have all of the badwidth it could ever need if it eliminated all of the *crap* stations that is carries. Why on earth do they carry KRON in HD when they have ZERO programming? There are dozens of stations both analog and digital that many many many people NEVER watch.

As soon as DISH or Direct TV gets FX-HD (or the equilivant fox HD) I am out of here.
post #730 of 15238 Old 04-02-2007, 12:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5 View Post

I know this is going to be hard to believe but it's true.... the message as I received it.

Vs/Golf HD launches on Digital Classic HD channel 721 in Los Gatos and Saratoga.

In Milpitas:
As you may recall we just launched in Milpitas a new Hispanic Tier of programming which includes ten channels along w/ GMA Pinoy.
That accounts for the difference in HD channel adds between Los Gatos/Saratoga and Milpitas.

So good news for the SaraMilgatos area with the addition of new HD and hopefully more to come when the upgrades are completed.
No new news on the other channels for the rest of the Bay Area but I would imagine they can't be to far away.

Laters,
Mikef5

WTF!? What about Santa Rosa? Methinks Mikef5's nose is getting a little too brown again...
post #731 of 15238 Old 04-02-2007, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

WTF!? What about Santa Rosa? Methinks Mikef5's nose is getting a little too brown again...

Wait a minute, we didn't get ESPN2-HD or TNT-HD so it can't be getting that brown..... got a Kleenix ????

Laters,
Mikef5
post #732 of 15238 Old 04-02-2007, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Say what you want about Comcast but they have done A LOT more for both CATV and HSI than TCI or AT&T ever did. When Comcast took over we had NO HD, NO DVR, NO VOD (not for anyone) and HSI stuck at pre-1999 levels.

Big article in Sunday's Press Democrat about AT&T's U-verse coming to Santa Rosa (very small select areas of SR...). Though it's interesting because they say it will carry 4 channels at once, but doesn't say how many HD channels that is. It also says channel-changing is instant (and actually faster than cable...) but in fact I have heard quite the opposite..

It goes on to list a package for $129 that includes 25 HD channels, HBO, a DVR, and 6MB HSI. That's about exactly what I pay now for the same service with Comcast, only I don't have HBO. So the prices are competitive, but aren't going to blow anyone away...
post #733 of 15238 Old 04-02-2007, 04:07 PM

Can it be true???? And I am out of town until 4/6, so I guess I'll just have to listen for the squeals of glee on this board. Hey, I can check it remotely via my Slingbox though on 4/5 .....
If it comes to pass it will ease the anger that seems to grow every time I see a commercial, get a mailer, or get a personal email from Comcast touting stuff I don't get - like these HD channels, VOD and digital phone.
Thanks for the good news.
Mike

Quote:

In Milpitas:

Laters,
Mikef5

post #734 of 15238 Old 04-02-2007, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by walk View Post

Big article in Sunday's Press Democrat about AT&T's U-verse coming to Santa Rosa (very small select areas of SR...).

Actually, that article shows a map that includes a very large area of Santa Rosa, with a few very small pockets that are not included.

Bobby 

post #735 of 15238 Old 04-02-2007, 05:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by walk View Post

Say what you want about Comcast but they have done A LOT more for both CATV and HSI than TCI or AT&T ever did. When Comcast took over we had NO HD, NO DVR, NO VOD (not for anyone) and HSI stuck at pre-1999 levels.

Big article in Sunday's Press Democrat about AT&T's U-verse coming to Santa Rosa (very small select areas of SR...). Though it's interesting because they say it will carry 4 channels at once, but doesn't say how many HD channels that is. It also says channel-changing is instant (and actually faster than cable...) but in fact I have heard quite the opposite..

It goes on to list a package for $129 that includes 25 HD channels, HBO, a DVR, and 6MB HSI. That's about exactly what I pay now for the same service with Comcast, only I don't have HBO. So the prices are competitive, but aren't going to blow anyone away...

AT&T has already been quietly laying in some fiber in some of the new sub-divisions in the northwest and just east of the fairgrounds.

I wouldn't expect Comcast-like coverage here for a couple of years.

I got a kick out of both Comcast and AT&T at the Home Show at the fairgrounds a few weeks back, both were touting up their wares, but upon inquiry by yours truly, they both admitted that the large portion of those nifty services were not even available in Santa Rosa itself.
post #736 of 15238 Old 04-02-2007, 05:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

Actually, that article shows a map that includes a very large area of Santa Rosa, with a few very small pockets that are not included.

The map does cover practically all of Santa Rosa, but AT&T does a lot of "talking" about what they're going to do, who knows when they'll actually have coverage to all those areas. If I'm not mistaken, AT&T only has about 10,000 subs nationwide so far for this service. Comcast has over 6 times that many just in Santa Rosa.

I'll certainly take a look at it, if it's offered where I'm at, but so far, the tech just doesn't seem very good, at least for multiple streams of HD.
post #737 of 15238 Old 04-02-2007, 05:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

BTW, is anything ever going to done about the completely useless guide info for FSNBA-HD, or is it still in the finger-pointing stage?
post #738 of 15238 Old 04-02-2007, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

AT&T has already been quietly laying in some fiber in some of the new sub-divisions in the northwest and just east of the fairgrounds.

That is true. I design the joint trenches that that fiber goes into. For the record many of those new subdivisions will be fiber to the premise. I also know that AT&T is actively designing the fiber to the node for Santa Rosa as we speak. They are dead serious. I am a retired outside plant engineer from Pacific Bell and worked as a contractor in the Santa Rosa engineering office for 6 1/2 years, so I have a connection or two.

Bobby 

post #739 of 15238 Old 04-02-2007, 06:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

That is true. I design the joint trenches that that fiber goes into. For the record many of those new subdivisions will be fiber to the premise. I also know that AT&T is actively designing the fiber to the node for Santa Rosa as we speak. They are dead serious. I am a retired outside plant engineer from Pacific Bell and worked as a contractor in the Santa Rosa engineering office for 6 1/2 years, so I have a connection or two.

So you're the one that emailed me, for some reason I didn't make the connection.
post #740 of 15238 Old 04-02-2007, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

gah, i finally come home from work to watch all this great baseball i've missed but espn2 hd is down for me. its not blacked out because chan 39 works. oh please don't make me watch college bball
post #741 of 15238 Old 04-02-2007, 07:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

CBS is presenting a pretty poor looking product with the NCAA BB game.
post #742 of 15238 Old 04-02-2007, 10:57 PM

Quote:

CBS is presenting a pretty poor looking product with the NCAA BB game.

Ohio State sure didn't help matters any..
post #743 of 15238 Old 04-02-2007, 10:58 PM

Quote:

I'm not too familiar with all the systems in the south bay, but just to make sure, this good news doesn't change things for Sunnyvale-hell right?
post #744 of 15238 Old 04-03-2007, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So you're the one that emailed me, for some reason I didn't make the connection.

Yep, but that email was about Comcast......

Bobby 

post #745 of 15238 Old 04-03-2007, 11:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Yep, but that email was about Comcast......

Yes.

BTW, it's only 3 days into the season, but I'll think I'll be able to live with my decision to drop MLBEI from DirecTV due to their $40 HD surcharge. With FSNBA-HD of course I'll have to get to know my local teams better than I know the Yankees, but at a savings of $200 a year I can live with it. With ESPN, some HD games on Sat from FOX and FSNBA I won't miss MLBEI too much, and with no MLBEI on cable anymore not having INHD here in Santa Rosa is a non-issue. In fact, Comcast, if you're listening, don't even plan on putting it on the system up here, give us something else instead.
post #746 of 15238 Old 04-03-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:

Yes.

BTW, it's only 3 days into the season, but I'll think I'll be able to live with my decision to drop MLBEI from DirecTV due to their $40 HD surcharge. With FSNBA-HD of course I'll have to get to know my local teams better than I know the Yankees, but at a savings of $200 a year I can live with it. With ESPN, some HD games on Sat from FOX and FSNBA I won't miss MLBEI too much, and with no MLBEI on cable anymore not having INHD here in Santa Rosa is a non-issue. In fact, Comcast, if you're listening, don't even plan on putting it on the system up here, give us something else instead.

But I don't plan on going to directv just for that. I saw this on another forum yesterday, of course, right after I signed up for MLB TV. Has anyone gotten anything from comcast in the mail yet?

http://www.comcast.com/baseball/
post #747 of 15238 Old 04-03-2007, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes.

I agree. At least 80% of A's games and I think almost 100% of Giants games are televised locally so unless your team is not one of the two, it's really not worth it. I usually subscribe to the MLB Gameday Audio online (which is only $15 for the whole season) in case there's a good game on that doesn't involve the A's or Giants.
post #748 of 15238 Old 04-03-2007, 02:08 PM

Quote:

In Milpitas:

Laters,
Mikef5

Hey, if this happens I just may stick with Comcast. But only if they upgrade that P.O.S. DVR. Mine is developing new problems every week. I'm often losing audio completely now, and it only comes back if I swap channels and then swap back. The audio is there, it just isn't being sent to my receiver. And remote stutter is worse than ever-- I can't tell you how many recordings I had to start over because I hit the FF and it wouldn't let me stop until it hit the end.

Does anyone know if the Golf Channel is going to carry the HD feed for the Masters on Thurs/Fri? Seems like that would be the reason for picking up that HD channel on the 5th.
post #749 of 15238 Old 04-03-2007, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 47
new thread started on hd programming topic saying dish is now broadcasting local sports in hd. does that mean that local dish subscribers will finally get fsnba in hd in time for baseball season? oh please yes!

neflixis our nemesis
post #750 of 15238 Old 04-03-2007, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

The map I saw covered most of the downtown area, but nothing of the outlying areas, like Rincon Valley, etc...

The article did say the were planning deployment inside of 6 months.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page