Forum Jump: 

post #9631 of 15325 Old 04-09-2009, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragunov1 View Post

Hey guys, I have a question about the tipple play TV level of service that I don't quite understand. So I'm looking at the HD Plus Triple Play package and it says, Over 150 digital channels. What does this triple play package equal to to in the normal TV package ranges (Digital Classic, Starter, Preferred)? Mainly what I want to know is, with this package (HD Plus Triple Play) if I will be able to get all the HD channels without the premium ones, because that is what I'm currently signed up for?

Thanks!

The "HD Plus" Triple Play package is equal to the Digital Preferred tv package. In other words, you'll be getting all the HD channels that Comcast offers with the exception of the premiums (Showtime, Max, etc) Depending on what city you live in here in the Bay Area, you'll also have access to Encore HD on 775 which is part of the Digital Prefered as well. This also leaves out the HD channels which are part of the Sports Entertainment Package. NFL HD on 730 ( which may be gone on 5/1 anyway) and Speed HD on 731 ( Half of the area doesn't even have it yet). So overall you'll get a decent sampler of the HD Comcast has to offer here in the Bay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9632 of 15325 Old 04-09-2009, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSanRamon View Post

I have been trying to go thru this thread, but 312 pages is extreme.

I have a non-QAM tuner HD-TV. I'd like to get a QAM tuner for use in this tv to get HD thru comcast, without having to get their set top box.

Can someone help me with this?

Thx,

Bob

I would wonder if there will be more low cost options for this after June. I wonder if it is possible at all to remodulate a QAM signal to ATSC for your kind of set. Otherwise what happens is the box is basically a computer with a ATSC/QAM tuner which demodulates the signal into video and audio signals for component or HDMI output. That also can be done with a computer too and a cheap HD video card wint component or HDMI output (like the one on this computer which cost all of $29). And of course with a computer you can make it a DVR while you're at it. And it could be cheap if you have some old computers around to do the job (look in the HTPC section).
post #9633 of 15325 Old 04-09-2009, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSanRamon View Post

This unit doesn't have a QAM tuner, and is for OTA signals.

Is there a QAM tuner box for cable?

Robert

I beg to differ, I'm using the Samsung DTB-H260F tuner on one of my bed room tv's and it works fine with Comcast's cable. It doesn't have an analog tuner in it, it only has a digital tuner, so you won't get anything analog but the digital equivalent of those channels are on my system so that's a non-issue. So it does do Qam. The only problem is you'll be hard pressed to find one, I don't think they make them anymore.

From the manual

The Set-Top Box can receive DTV signals in the event that a local cable provider is passing 8VSB and
QAM through on their system. (8VSB is the RF modulation format utilized to transmit digital bits over
the airwaves to the home consumer. QAM conveys data by modulating the amplitude of two carrier
waves.)
• When receiving Digital Cable Signal: If your cable service signal does not comply with the ATSC
requirement, this product may not operate properly.

Laters,
Mikef5
post #9634 of 15325 Old 04-09-2009, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazman49 View Post

It looks like the analog to digital conversion has begun in San Ramon. Over the weekend I lost channels 39 thru 59. Oddly enough, channels 60 - 74 still showed up.

Comcast started the digital migration in my neighborhood yesterday, and I was surprised to see the same thing: channels 40-60 are gone, and 39 and 61 are snowy, but the ones above 61 are still there.

Patty
post #9635 of 15325 Old 04-10-2009, 08:24 AM

I have that sumsung and it does have a qam tuner. You have to look deep into the specs to see it!
post #9636 of 15325 Old 04-10-2009, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Wait, the Giants game yesterday was in HD? 4/9 Thurs. afternoon (4pm), Cain pitching?

It wasn't on the HD channel on DirecTV... Gonna have to murder some people if that keeps happening. Maybe because the guide didn't have it?

Schedule here says it wasn't in HD.

http://bayarea.comcastsportsnet.com/...dule_giants_hd

I know it was in HD on the MLB channel, but blacked out here of course. Saw the highlights in HD later on....
post #9637 of 15325 Old 04-10-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walk View Post

Wait, the Giants game yesterday was in HD? 4/9 Thurs. afternoon (4pm), Cain pitching?

It wasn't on the HD channel on DirecTV... Gonna have to murder some people if that keeps happening. Maybe because the guide didn't have it?

Schedule here says it wasn't in HD.

http://bayarea.comcastsportsnet.com/...dule_giants_hd

I know it was in HD on the MLB channel, but blacked out here of course. Saw the highlights in HD later on....

Yea I watched it on CH.720 last night and it was in HD for sure
post #9638 of 15325 Old 04-10-2009, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I've been seeing a lot of problems on the HD side lately, especially in the sports channels. The Sharks game last night suffered from periodic splotch atrifacts on screen. I'm also seeing some brief pixelation when I change from one HD channel to another. I power cycled my DVR but that didn't resolve anything. I'm in Vallejo. Anyone seeing similar issues?
post #9639 of 15325 Old 04-10-2009, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBruno View Post

I have that sumsung and it does have a qam tuner. You have to look deep into the specs to see it!

I'll have to put the question to some broadcast engineers but it may be possible to take a QAM signal and remodulate it to ATSC. Such a device would work like a VCR where it would output on channel 3. or 4. To keep costs down it would probably only capture the PSIP info and display it on an LED read out when you changend channels via remote. That would cost far less than actually decoding the signal and outputting it via video and audio outputs which is what boxes do now.

But then I haven't even found any DYI plans for low power ATSC transmitters though DVT-B, NTSC and PAL plans can be found on the Internet.
post #9640 of 15325 Old 04-10-2009, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

I'll have to put the question to some broadcast engineers but it may be possible to take a QAM signal and remodulate it to ATSC. Such a device would work like a VCR where it would output on channel 3. or 4. To keep costs down it would probably only capture the PSIP info and display it on an LED read out when you changend channels via remote. That would cost far less than actually decoding the signal and outputting it via video and audio outputs which is what boxes do now.

But then I haven't even found any DYI plans for low power ATSC transmitters though DVT-B, NTSC and PAL plans can be found on the Internet.

Brian,

I think you are a little confused on what this tuner (Samsung's DTB-H260F ) does. I use this tuner and it works fine on Comcast's cable system. It does not work like a vcr, it's a digital tuner and has outputs component, composite, or HDMI that connects to your tv, it bypasses the tv's tuner altogether. Your tv effectively becomes a big monitor and the digital box becomes your tv tuner. Here's the link to the manual ... http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/d...60F/XAA&mode=C

Laters,
Mikef5
post #9641 of 15325 Old 04-10-2009, 02:28 PM
DAP
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

It is unlikely that anyone would make one of these since the market will be so small. I doubt many new TVs will come with ATSC only tuners, the vast majority will include QAM.
post #9642 of 15325 Old 04-10-2009, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

I've been seeing a lot of problems on the HD side lately, especially in the sports channels. The Sharks game last night suffered from periodic splotch atrifacts on screen. I'm also seeing some brief pixelation when I change from one HD channel to another. I power cycled my DVR but that didn't resolve anything. I'm in Vallejo. Anyone seeing similar issues?

Funny you should mention that - I've noticed the same thing, though it seems to be confined to CSN-HD channel 720.

It also seems to occur most often during live events - I've watched a couple of episodes of Chronicle Live and I didn't see the problem then.

It seems to me that this started happening right after Comcast added Channel 721 to the lineup when both channels broadcasting full time. Coincidence?
post #9643 of 15325 Old 04-10-2009, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis82 View Post

Yea I watched it on CH.720 last night and it was in HD for sure

They are doing 720 full time now right? So that doesn't mean it was HD. Unless it looked like HD of course. Wonder why D* didn't pick it up.
post #9644 of 15325 Old 04-10-2009, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They are doing 720 full time now right? So that doesn't mean it was HD. Unless it looked like HD of course. Wonder why D* didn't pick it up.

The schedule didn't list it as being a HD game but it was shown in what "appeared to be" in the HD format. Was it HD or upconverted SD I don't have a clue but if you can't tell if it was HD or not, it must of been done really well

Laters,
Mikef5
post #9645 of 15325 Old 04-10-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:

It looked like HD for sure to me. Same quality as the other broadcasts the 2 previous days. Tonight's game in San Diego is supposed to be in HD as well.
post #9646 of 15325 Old 04-10-2009, 06:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
This may sound like a really dumb question. But, what should I expect to happen when the digital cutover happens in my area in respect to SD and HD channels? Are they just removing SD channels that there's already an HD equivalent? Or, are they removing SD channels and adding their HD equivalent. Or, are they just removing old fashioned analog channels (picked up via non QAM tuners); leaving ONLY QAM based SD and HD digital channels.

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #9647 of 15325 Old 04-10-2009, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5 View Post

Brian,

I think you are a little confused on what this tuner (Samsung's DTB-H260F ) does. I use this tuner and it works fine on Comcast's cable system. It does not work like a vcr, it's a digital tuner and has outputs component, composite, or HDMI that connects to your tv, it bypasses the tv's tuner altogether. Your tv effectively becomes a big monitor and the digital box becomes your tv tuner. Here's the link to the manual ... http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/d...60F/XAA&mode=C

Laters,
Mikef5

Mike, I'm a software developer and know what different hardware does (I have even built electronics projects) and was fully aware of what the Samsung unit does because I own a Pioneer 53" HD RPTV made in 2000 that doesn't even have an ATSC tuner in it. But living in a valley where there is on OTA reception so the only options were cable or satellite. I had Dish Network for a while but when Comcast bought AT&T locally they offered more HD channels I dropped Dish (who at the time had added more channels but they were on a satellite blocked by a hill). I've had the 5100 box which I traded in for the 6200 when it became available to work with my JVC D-VHS deck and now the 3416 DVR. So I guess I might know how the Comcast boxes work as well as the Samsung.

Nowadays if I moved and wanted OTA I would probably just buy a new set as the current one is getting long in tooth and the DVD player that upscales over component is starting to malfunction more (needed a better loader). And I have 3 computer ATSC/QAM tuners anyway: the HDHomeRun (2 tuners), the Fusion HDTV card and a KWorld USB stick. And I've been interested in TV engineering since I was a kid and had access to the local TV station.

I would agree with the person who said that most sets have QAM anymore but there were a few years where sets were made with only ATSC/NTSC tuners. It's probably only been a couple of years that most all sets come with ATSC/QAM tuners. I was just thinking one could take a QAM tuner and demodulate a channel to the stream and remodulate that to ATSC you would effectively have a simple inexpensive unit for people without QAM on their HD set. Maybe not a big selling item but just an interesting idea.
post #9648 of 15325 Old 04-10-2009, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Snip..........
I was just thinking one could take a QAM tuner and demodulate a channel to the stream and remodulate that to ATSC you would effectively have a simple inexpensive unit for people without QAM on their HD set. Maybe not a big selling item but just an interesting idea.

Ok, Brian, that's what I don't understand. Why, if you are already using a QAM tuner, would you want to demodulate and then remodulate the signal of the QAM tuner and feed that signal to an ATSC tuner ??? In your example you are already using a QAM tuner, just feed it's video output to the tv's video input and bypass the tv's tuner altogether, you don't even need a tv tuner in the set. I'm sorry but what you propose doesn't make sense to me.

Laters,
Mikef5
post #9649 of 15325 Old 04-10-2009, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Just checking, the Giants game is in HD tonite 4/10?

D* is not showing it...
post #9650 of 15325 Old 04-10-2009, 09:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

....I'm sorry but what you propose doesn't make sense to me.

+1
post #9651 of 15325 Old 04-10-2009, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKANET View Post

This may sound like a really dumb question. But, what should I expect to happen when the digital cutover happens in my area in respect to SD and HD channels? Are they just removing SD channels that there's already an HD equivalent? Or, are they removing SD channels and adding their HD equivalent. Or, are they just removing old fashioned analog channels (picked up via non QAM tuners); leaving ONLY QAM based SD and HD digital channels.

They're removing the Expanded Basic analog channels. Limited Basic channels (mostly local stations) are remaining on analog for now. Some of the channels being removed have HD equivalents, others do not.

Patty
post #9652 of 15325 Old 04-10-2009, 09:19 PM
c3
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

I was just thinking one could take a QAM tuner and demodulate a channel to the stream and remodulate that to ATSC you would effectively have a simple inexpensive unit for people without QAM on their HD set. Maybe not a big selling item but just an interesting idea.

"Not a big selling item" means expensive. QAM tuner is cheap, but ATSC modulator is expensive.
post #9653 of 15325 Old 04-10-2009, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, Brian, that's what I don't understand. Why, if you are already using a QAM tuner, would you want to demodulate and then remodulate the signal of the QAM tuner and feed that signal to an ATSC tuner ??? In your example you are already using a QAM tuner, just feed it's video output to the tv's video input and bypass the tv's tuner altogether, you don't even need a tv tuner in the set. I'm sorry but what you propose doesn't make sense to me.

Laters,
Mikef5

Mike, a QAM tuner does not decode the video. It just would demodulate the signal into something like a transport stream. Other chips on the board decode the stream and put it in a video buffer and that buffer then creates the video output. For instance on a PC you have a QAM tuner and the drivers decode the signal which produces the transport stream which can be displayed in the video card buffer which can either go the monitor or in the case of many cards a component output or even HDMI. A cable box works much the same way though it may use a more integrated chipset.

Now instead of decoding the video just take the stream from the QAM tuner which may need some additional decoding with drivers and then remodulate that stream to ATSC. The expensive part of the box is bypassed: the chipset and memory needed to decode and output to standard video outputs (as well as audio of course). This would be far less expensive than a full box. My bet is that such devices have already been developed (maybe shown at booth at shows like CES) but not licensed for distribution yet.
post #9654 of 15325 Old 04-10-2009, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3 View Post

"Not a big selling item" means expensive. QAM tuner is cheap, but ATSC modulator is expensive.

An ATSC modulator probably doesn't need to be expensive. It's just that currently the only ones you find on the net are for broadcast use and build for heavy use.
post #9655 of 15325 Old 04-10-2009, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, a tuner can only tune (hence the name) one channel at a time.

So to do what you want, you'd either need a QAM tuner that communicates with your TV's tuner and changes the channel at the same time as you do...

-or-

A QAM tuner with... 200 tuners? 300? The most tuners you can find in a single box is about... TWO.
post #9656 of 15325 Old 04-10-2009, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just checking, the Giants game is in HD tonite 4/10?

D* is not showing it...

Nobody watching??

Not that I blame you... not much worth watching... Zito stinks it up and now a rain delay (in San Diego??)

A's are on CSCA-HD. Maybe CSN has only the 1 HD truck.
post #9657 of 15325 Old 04-10-2009, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nobody watching??

Not that I blame you... not much worth watching... Zito stinks it up and now a rain delay (in San Diego??)

A's are on CSCA-HD. Maybe CSN has only the 1 HD truck.

I was watching through my tears and it was in HD. The tarp is still on the field and if we're lucky Zito won't come back as the pitcher.

The last time I checked Comcast had 3 HD trucks but that was a while ago, they might of added to that by now.

Laters,
Mikef5
post #9658 of 15325 Old 04-10-2009, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I'm going to be more than a little PO'ed if this is the norm for D*.

There are 4 other games in HD on the MLB package, which is free right now, but not Giants? BOOO!!

At least I can watch the Dodgers lose... ?

Zito was already pinch-hit for. He won't be back, but WILL get the L if they don't come back...
post #9659 of 15325 Old 04-10-2009, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, I'm going to be more than a little PO'ed if this is the norm for D*.

There are 4 other games in HD on the MLB package, which is free right now, but not Giants? BOOO!!

At least I can watch the Dodgers lose... ?

Zito was already pinch-hit for. He won't be back, but WILL get the L if they don't come back...

Walk,

Are you watching the Giants game on channel 696-1 on D* ? and it's not showing it in HD ?

Laters,
Mikef5
post #9660 of 15325 Old 04-10-2009, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Walk,

Are you watching the Giants game on channel 696-1 on D* ? and it's not showing it in HD ?

Laters,
Mikef5

Yes. I mean no, that channel was blank. Nothing on it - no HD no nothing.. The guide for it says "Upcoming: Giants @ Dodgers" 4/13 1:00p - 7:00p
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page