post #9901 of 15238 Old 05-04-2009, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by walk View Post

No HD for Giants today/night 5/4. SD feed on D* 696 was ultra-low def (think converted from analog OTA) but there you go. At least they aren't wasting a "real" HD channel for it.

In fact no HD at all this week, at least on CSN, dunno about NBC 11. Sun 5/10 is next HD game on CSN.

A's looks great right now in HD on 697-1 CSN-CA.

Walk,

Comcast didn't waste anything, they only showed what was on channel 40 ( the Giant's game ) and upconverted it to be shown on channel 720 and kept it in a proper aspect ratio. They didn't have to do that, they could've made you watch the game on an analog channel and showed some other worthless program in it's place on CSNBA-HD. It wasn't the greatest of picture quality but it was better than watching it on an analog channel. I for one will not watch an analog channel even if the Giant's are being shown on it and I'm a die hard Giant's fan. They can't show every game in HD especially when it's an away game. I wish they would show all the games in HD and not just the baseball games but the other sports as well but it's just to expensive to do that. I think they did the best that they could with what was provided to them.

Laters,
Mikef5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9902 of 15238 Old 05-05-2009, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerkyNot View Post

Anyone with a Comcast box in the Redwood Shores, San Carlos, Belmont area getting the HD Speed Channel now?

John

I am still not getting it in San Carlos. I must live in Comcast slum.
post #9903 of 15238 Old 05-05-2009, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

My point was, satellite works differently. When the game is not in HD they don't waste the bandwidth by showing upconverted SD on a HD channel - they use that bandwidth for something else. In fact the HD RSN channels are blank unless there's a game on (in HD) and they cut it off pretty quick too, right after the last out practically, you don't get any of the post-game on the HD channel.

Cable doesn't have anything to lose I guess, since the HD channel is always "on". It's good I guess, if you get a slightly better picture out of it... The SD picture on D* is definitely near the bottom of the barrel. Almost as bad as analog cable.
post #9904 of 15238 Old 05-05-2009, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My point was, satellite works differently. When the game is not in HD they don't waste the bandwidth by showing upconverted SD on a HD channel - they use that bandwidth for something else. In fact the HD RSN channels are blank unless there's a game on (in HD) and they cut it off pretty quick too, right after the last out practically, you don't get any of the post-game on the HD channel.

Cable doesn't have anything to lose I guess, since the HD channel is always "on". It's good I guess, if you get a slightly better picture out of it... The SD picture on D* is definitely near the bottom of the barrel. Almost as bad as analog cable.

My bad, I thought you were insinuating that they were wasting bandwidth, which IMHO is not the case. I'd rather watch an upconverted program than watch an analog channel any day, but that's just me.

The one good thing about the channels being 24/7 now is that we don't have the problem with them not turning on the channel when there is a game scheduled. I'm sure you remember what a pain that was, having to call the CSR's (UGH !!) to explain the problem and not getting anywhere with them and missing the game. That's why I have the email address and phone number to my head-end supervisor. I haven't had to use that in a long time ( knock on wood )

You are right though, the Sat's and cable have different distribution strategy's. Which is best ? I don't care, I just want the game shown and shown in the best possible format available to them.

Laters,
Mikef5
post #9905 of 15238 Old 05-05-2009, 12:10 PM

OT - I'm in Sunnyvale and have been experiencing intermittent internet drop outs. My significant other, who is currently among the many unemployed, said it was out for a couple of hours the other morning. She was NOT very happy, as she told a recruiter she would e-mail her resume right away. I've also experienced this while playing Madden 09 online. Anyone else experiencing this?
post #9906 of 15238 Old 05-05-2009, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I was, in Jan-Feb, but it seems to be better now, though I'm not using the internet as much as I was back then, so it's hard to say.

I think it may be related to their ongoing upgrades... or downgrades, whatever you call it. Even though they wouldn't admit it and swore up and down that I was the only person complaining...
post #9907 of 15238 Old 05-05-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5 View Post

I for one will not watch an analog channel even if the Giant's are being shown on it and I'm a die hard Giant's fan.

I agree with you in spirit, but am such a die hard that I will watch low def.

Quote:

They can't show every game in HD especially when it's an away game. I wish they would show all the games in HD and not just the baseball games but the other sports as well but it's just to expensive to do that. I think they did the best that they could with what was provided to them.

Now here we disagree. While some tiny markets are still struggling to get high def broadcasts of their local teams, most of the time when the Giants are away you can find a local broadcast that is in high def. That was the case for both Chicago games, and that will be the case for both Rockies games too. One has to be believe that if they really cared about consistently broadcasting in high def, they could negotiate rights to use the home RSNs feed for the broadcast. You get lots of hooey about how they need to have their own feed . . . no doubt so Krook and Kuip can do their goofy stuff about oddball characters in the crowd.

Of course, the thing that really drives me crazy is the rule negotiated between MLB and all the carriers that prohibits the broadcast of the away team's broadcast into the "local" market. You have to believe if they didn't have this constraint of trade in place, the local carriers would make darn sure not to lose any eyeballs when the away feed has HD and they don't. But MLB prohibit you from watching that HD away feed even if you have D* Extra Innings or MLB TV.

Ahhh, I suppose this is all pretty silly. I can remember looking forward to Sundays because that was the one day that the Dodgers broadcast on TV . . . that is, if they were on the road. Home games were never broadcast.

And yep, I grew up a Dodgers fan. I'm an orange-and-black convert.
post #9908 of 15238 Old 05-05-2009, 11:23 PM
abg

Re: DTA Conversion

They started converting our area (94022) today

Not all the channels above 34 were moved as of 8pm but I expect they'll all be gone soon.
post #9909 of 15238 Old 05-06-2009, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

My dad was complaining he lost the upper channels on his bedroom and den tv so I guess they did the conversion in Marin/Fairfax already.

No warning, no nothing. He had to ask me WTF and I don't even know what to tell him - can you call Comcast and get the free DTAs delivered to your house? Or do you have to drive down to the office and pick them up? How many can you get for free? They need 2.

Of course his other option is to switch to satellite which right now is more likely than anything.
post #9910 of 15238 Old 05-06-2009, 09:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 15
It's not quite as easy as just saying.. "I'll just switch to satellite".

Getting a satellite dish mounted on your house, wiring, and installing/setting up boxes inthe house; and, paying for all of that. IMO, its much easier to just go pick up a couple of boxes.

Quote:

My dad was complaining he lost the upper channels on his bedroom and den tv so I guess they did the conversion in Marin/Fairfax already.

No warning, no nothing. He had to ask me WTF and I don't even know what to tell him - can you call Comcast and get the free DTAs delivered to your house? Or do you have to drive down to the office and pick them up? How many can you get for free? They need 2.

Of course his other option is to switch to satellite which right now is more likely than anything.

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #9911 of 15238 Old 05-06-2009, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Walk,

You can call Comcast and they will give you 2 free DTA's. They can send it to you or you can go to a local office. All this was posted before and is on the Comcast website. I would guess that your dad was notified by a flyer that came with his monthly bill, that's were I got mine and I almost through it out without reading it ( Like I do with most flyers )

Laters,
Mikef5
post #9912 of 15238 Old 05-06-2009, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Actually you call DirecTV they come out and install everything for free. There's no wiring or anything needed. The dish is free and you can get up to 6 receivers free (1 HD or DVR receiver).
post #9913 of 15238 Old 05-06-2009, 10:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

It's still easier to pick up a couple of boxes; most likely free too. ...or close to free.

Quote:

Actually you call DirecTV they come out and install everything for free. There's no wiring or anything needed. The dish is free and you can get up to 6 receivers free (1 HD or DVR receiver).

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #9914 of 15238 Old 05-06-2009, 10:59 AM
abg

Quote:

You can definitely get 2 for free; not sure if you can pick them up at the office (ours came by UPS). Installation is trivial. It's the end situation I despise.

In Comcast's defense, they did send out a letter with "README!!" stamped all over it that outlined what they were doing and what steps we lab rats/customers needed to do. The ordering and installation of the DTAs was trivial; activation was slow due to just slightly-more-awake-than-peat-moss telephone personnel. The end product on the screen is still the same, only now I can't erase channels

On the flip side, this entire conversion process was as poorly and confusingly marketed as anything I've seen recently. Many months of "avoid the digital TV transition; get Comcast!" followed by "now bend over for the Comcast digital TV transition" that will add another pile of remotes to your household inventory. To quote Kelly Bundy, "the mind wobbles".

BTW, has anyone found a universal remote yet that's compatible with the unit sent with the DTA?
post #9915 of 15238 Old 05-06-2009, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Whatever letter or flyer or whatever they did or didn't send, it didn't reach the target, that's all I know.
post #9916 of 15238 Old 05-06-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abg View Post

Re: DTA Conversion

They started converting our area (94022) today

Not all the channels above 34 were moved as of 8pm but I expect they'll all be gone soon.

When was the target date for your area? All of the flyers we received (94555) said 5/1, but nothing appears to have happened yet.
post #9917 of 15238 Old 05-06-2009, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You can definitely get 2 for free; not sure if you can pick them up at the office (ours came by UPS). Installation is trivial. It's the end situation I despise.

In Comcast's defense, they did send out a letter with "README!!" stamped all over it that outlined what they were doing and what steps we lab rats/customers needed to do. The ordering and installation of the DTAs was trivial; activation was slow due to just slightly-more-awake-than-peat-moss telephone personnel. The end product on the screen is still the same, only now I can't erase channels

On the flip side, this entire conversion process was as poorly and confusingly marketed as anything I've seen recently. Many months of "avoid the digital TV transition; get Comcast!" followed by "now bend over for the Comcast digital TV transition" that will add another pile of remotes to your household inventory. To quote Kelly Bundy, "the mind wobbles".

BTW, has anyone found a universal remote yet that's compatible with the unit sent with the DTA?

There is actually not a connection between the OTA analog cutoff and Comcast reclaiming the analog spectrum on the plant. It's just that they overlap here in the SF market. Had the DTV transition happened in Feb, that would all be behind us by now.
post #9918 of 15238 Old 05-06-2009, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know when the Berkeley area is going to upgraded?

Still waiting for SPEED HD.
post #9919 of 15238 Old 05-06-2009, 12:55 PM
abg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwelling View Post

When was the target date for your area? All of the flyers we received (94555) said 5/1, but nothing appears to have happened yet.

I don't remember for sure, but I actually think we received the notice in mid-Feb. or early March with an anticipated switchover date in early April. It began at least a month after I expected it.

On a related topic:

"There is actually not a connection between the OTA analog cutoff and Comcast reclaiming the analog spectrum on the plant. It's just that they overlap here in the SF market."

Absolutely correct; that was kind of the point that I was trying to make. The way they advertised, concerning the two unrelated events, made it easy (IMHO) for many of their customers to not understand what was going on.
post #9920 of 15238 Old 05-06-2009, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKANET View Post

It's still easier to pick up a couple of boxes; most likely free too. ...or close to free.

And don't forget, the biggest obstacle for DirecTV/Dish is that you need to have a clear line of sight to the southern sky. Without that, you are forced go to cable if you want more than OTA.

For most in single family residences, the clear line of sight isn't an issue (but perhaps homes in the hills/mountains?). The big issue comes for apartments/condos/etc. I wonder how many buyers/renters think about getting a clear line of sight when getting an apt. I sure didn't, but I happened to luck out with my apt so if I need to go DirecTV/Dish, I can.
post #9921 of 15238 Old 05-06-2009, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Not really, mine points practically straight up. As long as you can see the sky from the roof of your building, you should be ok.
post #9922 of 15238 Old 05-07-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:

Not really, mine points practically straight up. As long as you can see the sky from the roof of your building, you should be ok.

How "straight up" is it? I am fairly certain there can be nothing between the satellite and the dish, and from the San Francisco area, the satellites are at most about 45-50 degrees above the horizon (depending on which satellite(s) you are trying to receive, it's not necessarily "south", but it is in the southern half of the sky, since the satellites are all over the equator). I assume that, because of the dish's curvature, it doesn't have to "point directly at it", but still, you have to be able to see the spot in the sky where the satellite is located.

The point is, anyone who lives on, or at the base of, the northern slope of a steep-enough hill may have a problem.

-- Don
post #9923 of 15238 Old 05-07-2009, 11:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post

How "straight up" is it? I am fairly certain there can be nothing between the satellite and the dish, and from the San Francisco area, the satellites are at most about 45-50 degrees above the horizon (depending on which satellite(s) you are trying to receive, it's not necessarily "south", but it is in the southern half of the sky, since the satellites are all over the equator). I assume that, because of the dish's curvature, it doesn't have to "point directly at it", but still, you have to be able to see the spot in the sky where the satellite is located.

The point is, anyone who lives on, or at the base of, the northern slope of a steep-enough hill may have a problem.

-- Don

It's a little steeper than that, low 40's.

An easy to use look angle checker.
http://www.emantechnology.com/store/pc/lookangle.asp
post #9924 of 15238 Old 05-07-2009, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

It's not straight up, but it's a lot higher than I thought it would be. 45-50 deg. sounds about right.

I thought he was going to have to put it at the peak of the roof and in the front of the house- nope he put it on the back corner, behind a tree, you can't even see it from the street/curb. My neighbor has one attached to the side of the house right outiside his back door (on the first floor level) and about 35 feet away is another 2-story house, no problems with it blocking the path there.
post #9925 of 15238 Old 05-07-2009, 04:43 PM

Liked: 11
So, how's HD Youtube on the iPhone?

JK.

Anyone heard of a Pace RNG110? It's been spotted.
post #9926 of 15238 Old 05-07-2009, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barovelli View Post

So, how's HD Youtube on the iPhone?

JK.

Anyone heard of a Pace RNG110? It's been spotted.

Nice to be back on point.

I've heard of an RNG200, but not an RNG110... What's the difference?
post #9927 of 15238 Old 05-07-2009, 07:56 PM
abg

Just to clarify the amount of delay in the conversion, our letter from Comcast was dated 27-Feb-09 and said that the conversion could begin as soon as 6-Apr-09.
post #9928 of 15238 Old 05-07-2009, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Here's what Comcast had posted on their California media site as of a few days ago:

April (Customers were Notified 30 Days Prior to Date to The Right)

CUPERTINO, LOS ALTOS, 4/7/2009

LIVERMORE 4/8/2009

SAN RAFAEL, SAN ANSELMO, KENTFIELD, CORTE MADERA, FAIRFAX, LARKSPUR, ROSS, WOODACRE, FOREST KNOLLS, GREENBRAE ,LAGUNITAS ,SAN GERONIMO, SAN QUENTIN 4/21/2009

SAN MATEO,FOSTER CITY,BELMONT,REDWOOD CITY,SAN CARLOS, 4/14/2009

BERKELEY, ALBANY, KENSINGTON 4/22/2009

SAN CARLOS, BELMONT, REDWOOD CITY, EMERALD HILLS, WOODSIDE, SAN MATEO, 4/27/2009
post #9929 of 15238 Old 05-07-2009, 09:07 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSM View Post

Nice to be back on point.

I've heard of an RNG200, but not an RNG110... What's the difference?

'110 is an HD only set-top. Plastic case. All the normal connections. No clock/display. Outboard 5vdc power brick (I hate power bricks, and especially ones that stray from the normal 12v). Looks like an Arris EMTA, no hard edges.

The DCX HD box is similar - but has the 12v power brick. And is boxy shaped.
post #9930 of 15238 Old 05-07-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:

Just to clarify the amount of delay in the conversion, our letter from Comcast was dated 27-Feb-09 and said that the conversion could begin as soon as 6-Apr-09.

OK, so about a month. Thanks!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page