Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 15306 Old 04-26-2007, 07:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBruno View Post

Embarrassed to say that I do not even no what a headend is??? Ok so I dont know what ADS stands for either (i am a soft scientist).

Sorry, headend is the cable office which has all the equipment to distribute the video signal (equivalent of the Phone Company's CO - Central Office, if you understand that ). There's one in Scotts Valley that I thought served Santa Cruz.

ADS = Analog-Digital Simulcast. If you have a DCT700 (which is only digital), and you're seeing any channel below 100, that means they have digital versions of them on the cable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 15306 Old 04-26-2007, 08:02 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderigo View Post

ADS = Analog-Digital Simulcast. If you have a DCT700 (which is only digital), and you're seeing any channel below 100, that means they have digital versions of them on the cable.

Also digital-only boxes are 3412 & 3416 HD DVRs, and the Pace Vegas.

Santa Cruz is not ADS, and would not issue/install these boxes.
post #1083 of 15306 Old 04-26-2007, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrin1471 View Post

Not soon or not ever?
Any particular reason why not. They were in the original Comcast/Pace deal.

All I see on the horizon is Motorola DCH units. Sometimes a division gets one thing and other divisions get the other. Things like Moxi, Microsoft GUI, etc are nowhere near SF Bay either.
post #1084 of 15306 Old 04-26-2007, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderigo View Post

Sorry, headend is the cable office which has all the equipment to distribute the video signal (equivalent of the Phone Company's CO - Central Office, if you understand that ). There's one in Scotts Valley that I thought served Santa Cruz.

Thanks for the explanation. My headend is in Santa Cruz (123 Doyle st.).
If I understand correctly then Santa Cruz must be ADS as the three DCT700 i installed on my SDTV's all show channles below (and above) 100.
post #1085 of 15306 Old 04-26-2007, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barovelli View Post

All I see on the horizon is Motorola DCH units. Sometimes a division gets one thing and other divisions get the other. Things like Moxi, Microsoft GUI, etc are nowhere near SF Bay either.

Wasn't Comcast going to start "phasing out" the Moto boxes and replace them with Panny's? Or are the Panasnonic's like the Moxi's and only going to selected areas?
post #1086 of 15306 Old 04-26-2007, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barovelli View Post

No one in their right mind is going to deploy a new product in the SF Bay Area. If it has issues, their reputation will be beaten into the ground here, as opposed to other large tech savvy markets like DFW or Seattle...

Thanks,
Mike
post #1087 of 15306 Old 04-26-2007, 12:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSM View Post

No one in their right mind is going to deploy a new product in the SF Bay Area. If it has issues, their reputation will be beaten into the ground here, as opposed to other large tech savvy markets like DFW or Seattle...

Thanks,
Mike

Indeed, Comcast has been burned bad more than once here.
post #1088 of 15306 Old 04-26-2007, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSM View Post

Thanks,
Mike

That's really to bad. You would think that a company would go to the area where they know they would get a fair yet brutally honest opinion on the strengths and weaknesses of their product. If it were up to me, I'd beta test out here first because if it can pass here it will pass anywhere and I wouldn't have to deal with problems that pop up later because of shoddy beta testing.

Laters,
Mikef5
post #1089 of 15306 Old 04-26-2007, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

AT&T uVerse coming to Petaluma

Only 3 nodes yet. They service what, about 1500 feet each?
Still, sounds interesting. Competition is good.
The $140 package is about what I get now, only I'd have HBO/Showtime/etc (I just have the most basic digital package).
post #1090 of 15306 Old 04-26-2007, 01:43 PM

in another thread, U-verse's HD quality is described as very poor:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&page=20&pp=30

Comcast (Berkeley, CA)
post #1091 of 15306 Old 04-26-2007, 02:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftjab View Post

in another thread, U-verse's HD quality is described as very poor:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&page=20&pp=30

These are the two relevant posts,

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post10347993
AT&T U-Verse (Project Lightspeed) - AVS Forum

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post10356626
AT&T U-Verse (Project Lightspeed) - AVS Forum

If Jeff says it bad, then it's bad.
post #1092 of 15306 Old 04-26-2007, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Well who cares how much it sucks if it forces Comca$t to lower their prices?
post #1093 of 15306 Old 04-26-2007, 05:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Agreed, but it would be nice to have a real, viable, alternative to Comcast, not just something that forces Comcast to move quicker, and/or add more channels/services.

I wish we were in Verizon country rather than AT&T country, now that would have made it interesting, Verizon by most accounts having stellar PQ, and channel selection.

The main reason I'm still with Comcast is the PQ is still the best, better than both sats, and now, so far, still better than U-Verse. In my PQ oriented world, there still really is no alternative to Comcast, OTA being a real hit or miss proposition up here.
post #1094 of 15306 Old 04-26-2007, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Agreed, but it would be nice to have a real, viable, alternative to Comcast, not just something that forces Comcast to move quicker, and/or add more channels/services.

I wish we were in Verizon country rather than AT&T country, now that would have made it interesting, Verizon by most accounts having stellar PQ, and channel selection.

The main reason I'm still with Comcast is the PQ is still the best, better than both sats, and now, so far, still better than U-Verse. In my PQ oriented world, there still really is no alternative to Comcast, OTA being a real hit or miss proposition up here.

True enough. I just heard from a friend that SBC has decided to kick out Alcatel as the lead vendor for VDSL gear and move to Adtran... I'm not sure it will help much, esp. on our region due to the p***poor outside plant.

If AT&T gets bludgeoned enough over this they may throw in the towel and go fiber, but it will have to be an enormous crater to make this happen. My bet would be they buy dish for video and give up on video on pair/fiber...

Thanks,
mike
post #1095 of 15306 Old 04-26-2007, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

From Comcast -- New Channels to be added next month --

Just received this update to the survey you guys did a while ago and these are the channels that most of you wanted now. I'm posting it as I received it so there is no question on what was said or how it was said.

____________________________________________________________ ______

You may post this on the Forum....

MikeF5: Thanks again for putting together the recent survey of Forum participants asking folks to name the three HD channels they'd like to see added to our HD lineup.

On May 16th we are adding the following channels. As you can see we definitely took into account the feedback we received from the Forum members.

Unfortunately these changes will not take place in our 550 MHZ systems, including your hometown of Milpitas.

KBCW HD (CW Network) launches on Digital Classic HD channel 712 in selected systems in the Bay Area.

(Let me clarify what "selected systems" means. Simply put, the following cities will not be receiving CW HD. In brief, cities in the Sacramento DMA, and the 550 systems)

Pittsburg/Antioch (non-upgraded area) - it launches in the rebuilt portion

Hayward

Santa Rosa

Isleton

Tower Park

Sunnyvale

Saratoga

Los Gatos

Milpitas

Santa Cruz

Half Moon Bay

Travis AFB

Rio Vista

Vacaville

Fairfield

National Geographic HD launches on Digital Classic HD channel 715 in all upgraded systems in the Bay.

A&E HD launches on Digital Classic HD channel 718 in all upgraded systems in the Bay.

Vs/Golf HD launches on Digital Classic HD channel 721 in Santa Cruz.

Universal HD launches on Digital Classic HD channel 727 in Santa Cruz.

Let me anticipate, and deal with, the "what's next and when" question that always pops up when I pass this information on to the Forum members.

I anticipate Comcast will be adding even more HD channels in the fall. For obvious competitive reasons I am reluctant to provide any specifics at this time, but will gladly provide the Forum members, through you, advance notice.

Thanks, as always, for your help.
____________________________________________________________ _

So there you go in a nut shell. If you are in an upgraded area you will be getting these channels on or about the 16th of May. These are the channels that most of you wanted to see right away and there are more to come later this year.
If you're in a non upgraded area like I am, the upgrades are in progress and I hope that they will proceed without delay. I know it sucks to see other areas get all these channels but our day will come.

Laters,
Mikef5
post #1096 of 15306 Old 04-26-2007, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

awesome news mike. looking forward to all 3 new additions. mr. J definitely did take notice of the forum's preferences.
post #1097 of 15306 Old 04-26-2007, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

with CW coming, i can finally rid myself of this crappy indoor antenna i ended up not using much.
post #1098 of 15306 Old 04-26-2007, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5 View Post

KBCW HD (CW Network) launches on Digital Classic HD channel 712 in selected systems in the Bay Area.

Is it possible the tier level is a typo. All the other broadcast channels are in the "Limited Basic High-Definition" tier as opposed to the "Digital Classic High-Definition" tier

The implication being "Limited Basic High-Definition" is not an encrypted tier. Some folks will care about this while for others it won't make any difference.
post #1099 of 15306 Old 04-26-2007, 08:02 PM
c3
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5 View Post

Is it really going to be part of the Digital Classic HD tier, or is it available for Limited Basic customers as well (unencrypted)?

EDIT: sfhub asked the same question while I was typing mine.
post #1100 of 15306 Old 04-26-2007, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the info, Mike. Good news for most of the BA.
post #1101 of 15306 Old 04-26-2007, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub View Post

Is it possible the tier level is a typo. All the other broadcast channels are in the "Limited Basic High-Definition" tier as opposed to the "Digital Classic High-Definition" tier

The implication being "Limited Basic High-Definition" is not an encrypted tier. Some folks will care about this while for others it won't make any difference.

Good point. If I remember right the CW network is a sister station of CBS and is available over the air which should mean that it would be like the rest of the broadcast stations, be on the Limited Basic HD and be unencrypted. I'll have to ask Mr. J. to get clarification on this one.

Laters,
Mikef5
post #1102 of 15306 Old 04-26-2007, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fender4645 View Post

Thanks for the info, Mike. Good news for most of the BA.

Agreed, even though I would have preferred HIST-HD myself. I guess they are working hard to deliver a pre-emptive strike on any U-verse offerings that are coming. Hopefully they'll have CNNHD and the 3-4 other national HD channels that others are carrying in the summer.

Thanks,
mike
post #1103 of 15306 Old 04-27-2007, 12:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Congrats on getting more channels.

Has it been 18 months yet? The gap between the have-nots and the haves is as big as the Grand Canyon now, or will be in a few weeks.

BTW, KBCW has to clear-QAM, it's a local broadcast station.

This particular group of channel adds hurts more than previous ones as KBCW-HD is the one channel that I've been trying to get for years as is not available up here any other way than OTA, which is not reliable at all. Too bad they couldn't at least squeeze that one on the 550 systems.
post #1104 of 15306 Old 04-27-2007, 08:08 AM

If you're in a non upgraded area like I am, the upgrades are in progress and I hope that they will proceed without delay. I know it sucks to see other areas get all these channels but our day will come.

Laters,
Mikef5[/quote]

Thanks for the great news. Is Santa Cruz considered one of the areas that are to be upgraded? I am never sure if we are considered a part of the bay area??
post #1105 of 15306 Old 04-27-2007, 09:58 AM

Nice to see new channels being added. C'mon, my S3's 750GB HDD says "feed me!"
post #1106 of 15306 Old 04-27-2007, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Wohoo!! Great news on the CW as long as it is really going to be unencrypted.

Thanks Mike for your continued inside information.

Soooo at what point is it worth it to pay an extra $47+ dollars to go from limited basic to Digital classic, if I already get ESPNHD, DiscoveryHD, INHD, FSNHD, etc... from being grandfathered?

Right now with the new channels, looks like I wont get: UHD, VSHD, MHD, and now AEHD and National HD....

Russ
post #1107 of 15306 Old 04-27-2007, 02:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I just ordered Comcast-HD. I also have OTA ATSC reception. How much of a quality difference is there between Comcast locals and OTA ATSC locals? If I had a choice of both, which one should I use? How much further does Comcast compress their locals from the original 19.2Mbit/sec?

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+ OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #1108 of 15306 Old 04-27-2007, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 122
The locals on Comcast look just as good as their OTA counterpart. What Comcast receives, they pass along. A positive for the Comcast signal is that, when a transmitter problem happens at Sutro, the Comcast sub gets the programming just fine.

Bobby 

post #1109 of 15306 Old 04-27-2007, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

A positive for the Comcast signal is that, when a transmitter problem happens at Sutro, the Comcast sub gets the programming just fine.

Just to add a comment, this is because Comcast taps into the fiber at the base of Sutro -- nothing is actually sent OTA in the "chain" before it gets to your house.
post #1110 of 15306 Old 04-27-2007, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 122
Thanks for the addition Fender. That does make it more clear.

Bobby 

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page