post #11311 of 15238 Old 09-08-2009, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Nature of the beast, for every person who comes across the $1 SHO deal there's likely 20-30 who will pay the full $18.99. DirecTV does the same thing with Sunday Ticket and the $100 HD option, if you whine enough they'll waive the $100 Super Fan(HD) charge and even lower the cost of the core ST package. Those that don't ask pay the full boat. I should add that I believe most of these deals are aimed at those that have the lower cost packages, I had Limited Basic before I got into the deal/promo game.

Which reminds me... I talked to 3 different CSRs today, and all of them said I could add another CableCARD device - $1.79(for a 2nd TiVo) and a Comcast HD-DVR - $15.95, and there would be no "Additional Outlet fees. Does that sound right?

I don't think that's right. I believe that's the old price, and now they basically charge you 6.99/mon/per card... Basically, it's the same price as leasing a basic STB from them, so they are trying to make you pay for a box even if you bring your own. My DCP's are the same way. I used to pay nothing, and now they stick me with an additional fee for each.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11312 of 15238 Old 09-09-2009, 12:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSM View Post

I don't think that's right. I believe that's the old price, and now they basically charge you 6.99/mon/per card... Basically, it's the same price as leasing a basic STB from them, so they are trying to make you pay for a box even if you bring your own. My DCP's are the same way. I used to pay nothing, and now they stick me with an additional fee for each.

I'm going to go back and get a "4th opinion" and if they say the same thing, I'll have the CC added to my account right there and see how the bill looks. Does Comcast still require an install visit for CableCARD?
post #11313 of 15238 Old 09-09-2009, 06:37 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I'm going to go back and get a "4th opinion" and if they say the same thing, I'll have the CC added to my account right there and see how the bill looks. Does Comcast still require an install visit for CableCARD?

Should be available at the counter.
post #11314 of 15238 Old 09-09-2009, 07:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 15
Edit: Oops... it looks like it didnt change after all... I had to restart my tuners...

I lost all my QAM channels in Vallejo. Did something change?

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #11315 of 15238 Old 09-09-2009, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

i got this flyer telling me to order my equipment before 9/22... is this the infamous "flyer" everyone is talking about?
post #11316 of 15238 Old 09-09-2009, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:

Nature of the beast, for every person who comes across the $1 SHO deal there's likely 20-30 who will pay the full $18.99. DirecTV does the same thing with Sunday Ticket and the $100 HD option, if you whine enough they'll waive the $100 Super Fan(HD) charge and even lower the cost of the core ST package. Those that don't ask pay the full boat. I should add that I believe most of these deals are aimed at those that have the lower cost packages, I had Limited Basic before I got into the deal/promo game.

Which reminds me... I talked to 3 different CSRs today, and all of them said I could add another CableCARD device - $1.79(for a 2nd TiVo) and a Comcast HD-DVR - $15.95, and there would be no "Additional Outlet fees. Does that sound right?

It's like buying a car. If you know how to wheel and deal you can drive a new car off the lot for a lot less than the majority who don't. This thread is becoming more on how to "game" the system.

It appears to be that Comcast (as well as other services) has promised to deliver X amount of customers to various services. So if you whine and usually wouldn't have that lower cost option available to you they offer it anyway not to placate you but as one of the numbers they've promised.

I'm still for "ala carte" as I really don't watch a bunch of different channels and don't want to subsidize programming I never watch. And I wonder what they are going to "tier" the new HD channels. So if we're only am interested in a couple channels in the third tier are we going to have to pay a penalty by paying for even more channels we'll never watch?
post #11317 of 15238 Old 09-09-2009, 10:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barovelli View Post

Sounds good, thanks.
post #11318 of 15238 Old 09-09-2009, 10:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

It's like buying a car. If you know how to wheel and deal you can drive a new car off the lot for a lot less than the majority who don't. This thread is becoming more on how to "game" the system.

It appears to be that Comcast (as well as other services) has promised to deliver X amount of customers to various services. So if you whine and usually wouldn't have that lower cost option available to you they offer it anyway not to placate you but as one of the numbers they've promised.

I'm still for "ala carte" as I really don't watch a bunch of different channels and don't want to subsidize programming I never watch. And I wonder what they are going to "tier" the new HD channels. So if we're only am interested in a couple channels in the third tier are we going to have to pay a penalty by paying for even more channels we'll never watch?

It's a system that Comcast themselves have set up so nobody should feel the least bit guilty about "gaming it", I know I sure don't.

You might be right about the numbers, could be sub numbers to meet a contract level and/or internal sales targets. I think premium channels get bartered with a lot as the last I read, about 2 years ago, channels like HBO/SHO cost the carrier(Comcast, DirecTV, etc) around $5 to $8 per subscriber, so it's easy for them to deal on those channels, especially when there are subs paying the full $18.99 to carry the load as it were. Internet service is huge profit center so it's relatively easy for them to offer very good deals/promos there as well.

Broadband Reports is a good place to check on what sort of deals may be available. The best thing to do is just ask though, just a visit to the office every other month or so to ask what's new could be tremendously cost saving, I know it has been for me.

I've held off on going Digital Classic(Preferred) for the same reason, currently there's nothing there I want, like you, I'm waiting to see how the new channel actually fall. The only channel I was really interested in was MLB-HD, but by the time it's added to the Santa Rosa system the baseball season will already be over. On the other hand, as I noted earlier, SHO with a cost of $11 per month($1-SHO and $9.95 for Classic/Preferred) is still a very good price, especially with Dexter starting soon..
post #11319 of 15238 Old 09-09-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5 View Post

Xn0r,

What's the bad channel on Comcast ? I'll see if it can be fixed, can't help with the Tivo stuff though.

Laters,
Mikef5

Last night I checked the comcast dvr guide for the new HD channels in Sunnyvale. I only noticed 2 that had incorrect data:

735 SpikeHD
767 Nik HD

It seems the guide is showing the east coast listing when it is showing the west coast feed.

Also, I notice there are two of the same Disney HD channels: 765 and 769
Why is this and will this change eventually?

Thanks,
Steve
post #11320 of 15238 Old 09-09-2009, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The best thing to do is just ask though, just a visit to the office every other month or so to ask what's new could be tremendously cost saving, I know it has been for me.

You may want to try online chat. Some of the deals are not available in the store, or at least that's what the store people say.

By the way, the lines at some of the stores, like the Sunnyvale one, were very long.

CLau
post #11321 of 15238 Old 09-09-2009, 11:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by clau View Post

You may want to try online chat. Some of the deals are not available in the store, or at least that's what the store people say.

By the way, the lines at some of the stores, like the Sunnyvale one, were very long.

Yes, it seems there's a difference between the store and the phone, never tried the online option. The wait at Santa Rosa has never been more than 15 mins or so, place runs like a DMV, looks like one too.
post #11322 of 15238 Old 09-09-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:

The 2nd card $1.79 charge is for a 2nd S-card in the SAME tivo device (enable dual tuners in old S3 hd tivo), not for another Tivo (device).
If you put a new M-card in a new /2nd HD Tivo (not S3), you wouldn't get $1.79, it should be the addnl outlet charge.

Another comcast DVR should probably be an AO charge also, but I can't recall how much of the AO charge they put into the $16 rental cost... I think it was the digital package that basically included the first cablecard/STB (which would be the tivo.)

But hey, if they want to charge you less, go for it Just be sure to check the bills carefully..
post #11323 of 15238 Old 09-09-2009, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgould View Post

The 2nd card $1.79 charge is for a 2nd S-card in the SAME tivo device (enable dual tuners in old S3 hd tivo), not for another Tivo (device).
If you put a new M-card in a new /2nd HD Tivo (not S3), you wouldn't get $1.79, it should be the addnl outlet charge.

Another comcast DVR should probably be an AO charge also, but I can't recall how much of the AO charge they put into the $16 rental cost... I think it was the digital package that basically included the first cablecard/STB (which would be the tivo.)

But hey, if they want to charge you less, go for it Just be sure to check the bills carefully..

The good thing about online chatting is that you can print out the transcript and keep it in case there is some over-charge later.

CLau
post #11324 of 15238 Old 09-09-2009, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeykid View Post

i got this flyer telling me to order my equipment before 9/22... is this the infamous "flyer" everyone is talking about?

Don't sit waiting. In Vallejo, we got the same notice with a 9/1 deadline but according to the CC NorCal marketing director, we won't get the new channels until November. We haven't even had our analogue channels go away yet.
post #11325 of 15238 Old 09-09-2009, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Was house sitting over the weekend in Fairfax (Marin), they have Comcast HDTV service. Though I saw a few duplicate HD channels (DisneyHD?), and the HBO2/Showtime2/etc channels are all up in the 800s while the main channels are still in the 700s.... do they have plans to rearrange this stuff? Really a mess.

On the other hand the DTA looked really good on their ~16 year old 19" Sony Trinitron (in the den). Seems like it pulls in a lot of channels up in the high 100s and 200s too that obviously you wouldn't get with analog TV. Other than having a small box it seems like a win-win for everyone.
post #11326 of 15238 Old 09-09-2009, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgould View Post

Barovelli could correct us, but I think this is right. The Tivo HD uses M-cards, so there is really no reason for anyone to need 2 S cards anymore. Any new device I think they charge you an AO charge (6.99) which is what they will lease a non-DVR box for. DVR adds $10/month per box, so that's why a DVR box nets out at 16.99/month.

I'm pretty sure the CSR didn't know what they were talking about on the charges. They may give you a credit if you show them the transcript, but I am pretty sure their system won't let the CSR charge you 1.79 for an M Card or S card in a new device.
post #11327 of 15238 Old 09-09-2009, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barovelli View Post

Are you sure? Last time I tried calling them they insisted on a visit because they needed some number from the host device (Which I couldn't understand since the card itself can read that info from host).
post #11328 of 15238 Old 09-09-2009, 04:08 PM
c3
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you sure? Last time I tried calling them they insisted on a visit because they needed some number from the host device (Which I couldn't understand since the card itself can read that info from host).

Self installation has been available in the Bay Area for a long time. I have done 3 myself.
post #11329 of 15238 Old 09-09-2009, 05:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3 View Post

Self installation has been available in the Bay Area for a long time. I have done 3 myself.

For a little over a year is what the Rep said when I picked up an M-Card today.
post #11330 of 15238 Old 09-09-2009, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Finally got the flyer regarding Fremont today with a "MORE HD" date of 10/12. Hope it sticks. Actually hope they're ahead of schedule.
post #11331 of 15238 Old 09-09-2009, 07:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I also heard a rumor of this date for the new HD channels in the East Bay (Oakland, Berkeley, etc.). Anybody else?
post #11332 of 15238 Old 09-09-2009, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Haven't seen or heard anything about this...

Looks like HSI "performance" tier has been upgraded to 12mbps here in Petaluma (was 6mb). It's always hard to judge things with speed tests because of "Speed boost" but I've been downloading a 4GB file here for a 20-30 mins now and getting a constant 1.5MB/sec (B=bytes) which if my California public school edumacation is correct works out to 12mbits/sec constant.
post #11333 of 15238 Old 09-09-2009, 08:20 PM

Has anybody opened a Service Request ticket with Tivo to add the new guide data? No even Tribune, nor Comcast.com have the new channels listed. I am on Daly City feed.

Saludos.

NEVER MIND, GUIDE DATA WITH NO CHANELL..
post #11334 of 15238 Old 09-09-2009, 09:12 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by walk View Post

Haven't seen or heard anything about this...

Looks like HSI "performance" tier has been upgraded to 12mbps here in Petaluma (was 6mb). It's always hard to judge things with speed tests because of "Speed boost" but I've been downloading a 4GB file here for a 20-30 mins now and getting a constant 1.5MB/sec (B=bytes) which if my California public school edumacation is correct works out to 12mbits/sec constant.

Addicting, aint it.
post #11335 of 15238 Old 09-09-2009, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For a little over a year is what the Rep said when I picked up an M-Card today.

Very cool! I must be behind the times. :-)

What did the counter person say the M-card would cost you?
post #11336 of 15238 Old 09-09-2009, 09:52 PM
Advanced Member

Got a flier from Comcast saying new HD channels starting 10/9. I believe I can confirm rsra13's assertion that the above 35 analog channels are gone. My LG DVR doesn't get them any more. Will this mean less compression for these new channels?

post #11337 of 15238 Old 09-09-2009, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

http://news.prnewswire.com/DisplayRe...5091086&EDATE=

Yet another viable option if you really hate that Comcast DVR. I've always balked at having to buy a whole new PC, especially when I have 2 sitting around doing pretty much nothing. But this actually perks my interest. $250/tuner is still kind of expensive but hopefully that will come down now that the "masses" can now buy it. It also supports up to 4 tuners.
post #11338 of 15238 Old 09-09-2009, 11:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Very cool! I must be behind the times. :-)

What did the counter person say the M-card would cost you?

She said(she will have been the 4th person to say the same thing BTW) it will cost me $1.70 per month, that it would be the only additional charge on my bill. Works for me.
post #11339 of 15238 Old 09-09-2009, 11:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fender4645 View Post

http://news.prnewswire.com/DisplayRe...5091086&EDATE=

Yet another viable option if you really hate that Comcast DVR. I've always balked at having to buy a whole new PC, especially when I have 2 sitting around doing pretty much nothing. But this actually perks my interest. $250/tuner is still kind of expensive but hopefully that will come down now that the "masses" can now buy it. It also supports up to 4 tuners.

Sounds interesting, but where did you see the price of $250 per tuner?
post #11340 of 15238 Old 09-10-2009, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sounds interesting, but where did you see the price of $250 per tuner?

That's roughly what the OEM's were charging for each tuner when configuring a system for purchase. Since you couldn't buy one off the shelf, it's anyone's guess as to what they'll charge (hopefully it will be cheaper). There are a bunch on ebay that go for around the same price.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page