San Francisco, CA - Comcast - Page 399 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11941 of 15325 Old 10-21-2009, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
ldivinag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: N37*39 W122*3
Posts: 705
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
is WOM at 12 midnight oct 22?

at least for us in fremont?

leo d.
ldivinag is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #11942 of 15325 Old 10-22-2009, 03:02 AM
Member
 
bamboo510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldivinag View Post

is WOM at 12 midnight oct 22?

at least for us in fremont?

Channels are in the guide as of 2am! No guide data yet
bamboo510 is offline  
post #11943 of 15325 Old 10-22-2009, 09:15 AM
Member
 
rxp19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldivinag View Post

is WOM at 12 midnight oct 22?

at least for us in fremont?

Got the new channels in Fremont!
rxp19 is offline  
post #11944 of 15325 Old 10-22-2009, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
pappy97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Got WOM here in Newark. It's great! Only thing is now I have to spend $5/month to get some of the sports channels, like ESPNNEWS HD, NHLN HD, and of course, NFLRZ HD. I know I would have had to spend that before, but before it wasn't HD so I wouldn't get it.
pappy97 is offline  
post #11945 of 15325 Old 10-22-2009, 11:11 AM
Member
 
bwelling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxp19 View Post

Got the new channels in Fremont!

But the TiVo guide data is wrong for about half of the new channels. Sigh.
bwelling is offline  
post #11946 of 15325 Old 10-22-2009, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
avekevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Santa Rosa, California, USA
Posts: 580
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm pretty sure that Santa Rosa went through the conversion recently as we have additional channels now. I also noticed that Palladia is gone. Too bad, it was good background while staying up late working on HTPC stuff.

For about that last month that I had it, about 1/3 of the programming didn't have sound. I guess that's why Comcast didn't bother to try to fix it.

avekevin is offline  
post #11947 of 15325 Old 10-22-2009, 02:56 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 28,477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by avekevin View Post

I'm pretty sure that Santa Rosa went through the conversion recently as we have additional channels now. I also noticed that Palladia is gone. Too bad, it was good background while staying up late working on HTPC stuff.

For about that last month that I had it, about 1/3 of the programming didn't have sound. I guess that's why Comcast didn't bother to try to fix it.


Palladia-783 is still there, works fine for me.



For Mikef5:

Just got a new lineup listing in my billing and it shows HBO/Signature-802 and HBO/2-803 under premiums. Any answer on when/if those are ever going to show up? I have this sneaky suspicion that if they don't show up soon, they're not going to show for quite awhile and that would be very disappointing. Let's not leave this job half done Comcast.
Keenan is offline  
post #11948 of 15325 Old 10-22-2009, 06:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Xn0r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Santa Clara, CA (95054)
Posts: 250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwelling View Post

But the TiVo guide data is wrong for about half of the new channels. Sigh.

Welcome to my nightmare. It took from about august to just about a week ago to get them all fixed.
Xn0r is offline  
post #11949 of 15325 Old 10-22-2009, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
avekevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Santa Rosa, California, USA
Posts: 580
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Palladia-783 is still there, works fine for me.

Sure enough. It used to be located at 743. I just didn't search enough.

Kevin
avekevin is offline  
post #11950 of 15325 Old 10-22-2009, 08:34 PM
Member
 
bwelling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xn0r View Post

Welcome to my nightmare. It took from about august to just about a week ago to get them all fixed.

Oh, this is great. The guide data is wrong on Comcast's web site also, so emailing Tribune is going to have no effect. Anyone know how to get this fixed?
bwelling is offline  
post #11951 of 15325 Old 10-22-2009, 08:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Xn0r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Santa Clara, CA (95054)
Posts: 250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwelling View Post

Oh, this is great. The guide data is wrong on Comcast's web site also, so emailing Tribune is going to have no effect. Anyone know how to get this fixed?

Yep. Similar situation here. For a while I had a mix of Tivo having the GD correct and Comcast having it wrong, and vica-versa. I think I sent in at least 7-8 lineup error reports. And a few times they actually broke channels that were working while fixing a few that were bad. Look for my "Ongoing Comcast/Tivo Program Guide Saga" posts in this thread where I vent about all this.
Xn0r is offline  
post #11952 of 15325 Old 10-22-2009, 09:00 PM
Member
 
bwelling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xn0r View Post

Yep. Similar situation here. For a while I had a mix of Tivo having the GD correct and Comcast having it wrong, and vica-versa. I think I sent in at least 7-8 lineup error reports. And a few times they actually broke channels that were working while fixing a few that were bad. Look for my "Ongoing Comcast/Tivo Program Guide Saga" posts in this thread where I vent about all this.

Yeah, I remember seeing reading parts of it, but I didn't realize that it was wrong on both ends. You'd think they'd want to avoid another several months of this...
bwelling is offline  
post #11953 of 15325 Old 10-22-2009, 11:30 PM
Member
 
Dragunov1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
To confirm I had the DNS problems here too, couple of days ago. Switched my router to the good old 4.2.2.1 & 4.2.2.2 DNS servers and no problems now.
Dragunov1 is offline  
post #11954 of 15325 Old 10-23-2009, 01:02 AM
Advanced Member
 
ldivinag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: N37*39 W122*3
Posts: 705
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
anyone else getting black screens for the new channels?

btw... weather channel in HD? lol...

btw, where's SPEED HD? i'm already paying for the SD channel...

oh... nm.... found speed hd... oops...

leo d.
ldivinag is offline  
post #11955 of 15325 Old 10-23-2009, 06:12 AM
Senior Member
 
Tom Koegel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliwxdude View Post

If you're talking about the DCX user interface, it still uses the old and gross Rovi (formerly Macrovision) i-Guide like the rest of the DCT and DCH boxes that Comcast uses. I think it has something to do with the fact that Comcast still has some ancient STBs out there that can only handle the i-Guide, and so the entire system has to use the lowest common denominator of GUIs.

Comcast's crappy interface is part of the reason why I'm a TiVo HD user...

Yes, that's the info I was looking for. I'm always trying to keep current on my options . . . switched to D* in the spring and am happy . . . but the HSI bandwidth makes me continue to consider a future switch back to Comcast. I won't do it if my choices are that ancient UI or having to come out of pocket for a Tivo for each TV in the house. The UI on the FIOS box is not as good as D* . . . certainly not as good as Tivo . . . but it's leaps and bounds better than the Comcast one in use here in the SF Bay Area.

Thanks for the info.
Tom Koegel is offline  
post #11956 of 15325 Old 10-23-2009, 11:00 AM
Member
 
nereus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fremont, Ca
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldivinag View Post

anyone else getting black screens for the new channels?

In Fremont, last night between 10:15-a while later (11ish?), most of the new channels disappeared. (Since I was trying to watch Holy Grail), ... they got better.
nereus is offline  
post #11957 of 15325 Old 10-23-2009, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Conrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Martinez, CA, USA
Posts: 4,215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Just read about a rumor of layoffs at Comcast and they may be outsourcing support to India or the Philippines. Wouldn't that be fun?
Brian Conrad is offline  
post #11958 of 15325 Old 10-23-2009, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Conrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Martinez, CA, USA
Posts: 4,215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 164
I also just got my bill which had a new price list and line-up on it. I notice that "Digital Starter" is gone. And it (as usual) is a little difficult to figure out what the line-up really means or if it is really even applicable to my area.
Brian Conrad is offline  
post #11959 of 15325 Old 10-23-2009, 03:38 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 28,477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

I also just got my bill which had a new price list and line-up on it. I notice that "Digital Starter" is gone. And it (as usual) is a little difficult to figure out what the line-up really means or if it is really even applicable to my area.

I think it's what "Starter Package/Value Package...$61.99" might be. It still has a Digital Starter lineup on the reverse side of the sheet.
Keenan is offline  
post #11960 of 15325 Old 10-25-2009, 05:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
millerwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 11,442
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 44
The WOM finally arrived in Berkeley this past Thursday, enabling me to get the NFL RedZone in HD. Wow, this is neat--like having PIP with 6 or more screens to switch between. Since it's so worthless watching the Niners and Raiders games, this is esp useful to be able to see the best part of the best games. I'm sold.
millerwill is offline  
post #11961 of 15325 Old 10-26-2009, 02:03 PM
Member
 
rxp19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks like Comcast is still running their $10.99 special on the Preferred Package + Showtime/Encore for customers with Digital Starter.

This pretty much opens all of the non-sport non-premium HD channels that the digital starter doesn't include. It does include ESPNU/HD which the Sports Package does not include.

What's nice is even if you have a promotion already, (e.g. $29.99/mo Digital Starter) this simply just adds $10.99 to your billing. So you won't lose your current promotion benefits.
rxp19 is offline  
post #11962 of 15325 Old 10-26-2009, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AndyN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 1,021
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Got the new WOM in Fremont and very happy. For a casual NFL fan RED ZONE HD is awesome. exciting all the time.

Also, perhaps just my imagination, but the HD quality seems to be better. No macroblocking that I noticed and no orange ghost with fast transitions. Any one else notice this or are my eyes just getting worse so that everything looks ok. Neither would be bad.
AndyN is offline  
post #11963 of 15325 Old 10-26-2009, 03:02 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 28,477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxp19 View Post

Looks like Comcast is still running their $10.99 special on the Preferred Package + Showtime/Encore for customers with Digital Starter.

This pretty much opens all of the non-sport non-premium HD channels that the digital starter doesn't include. It does include ESPNU/HD which the Sports Package does not include.

What's nice is even if you have a promotion already, (e.g. $29.99/mo Digital Starter) this simply just adds $10.99 to your billing. So you won't lose your current promotion benefits.

Yup, that's what I did, it basically gives you everything other than the one's you noted. For $41 per month I get all the Preferred channels, and Showtime for a $1 per month, and HBO for free. The offer is good until the end of the year by the way.
Keenan is offline  
post #11964 of 15325 Old 10-26-2009, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mikef5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Milpitas, Calif
Posts: 2,269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

The WOM finally arrived in Berkeley this past Thursday, enabling me to get the NFL RedZone in HD. Wow, this is neat--like having PIP with 6 or more screens to switch between. Since it's so worthless watching the Niners and Raiders games, this is esp useful to be able to see the best part of the best games. I'm sold.

I gave up on the Raiders along time ago. Blacking out games isn't going to get fans to go to their games.... a winning team gets them there and a ticket price that would allow an entire family to go to their games and not have to mortgage their house. I still watch the 49er's, they at least will buy up tickets and give them to local charities to prevent the game from being blacked out.

I watched the RedZone HD for the last 2 Sundays ( all day long just to make sure it was good all day ) and I've got to admit that it's much better than I thought it was going to be. The picture was sharp and clear and the announcers are very good, very impressed so far, I hope they keep things like it is and not screw it up by over compressing it. So when the 49er's game isn't being shown I'll be watching this channel for sure. Heck, it might make me a football fan again.

Laters,
Mikef5
Mikef5 is offline  
post #11965 of 15325 Old 10-26-2009, 08:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
millerwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 11,442
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5 View Post

I watched the RedZone HD for the last 2 Sundays ( all day long just to make sure it was good all day ) and I've got to admit that it's much better than I thought it was going to be. The picture was sharp and clear and the announcers are very good, very impressed so far, I hope they keep things like it is and not screw it up by over compressing it. So when the 49er's game isn't being shown I'll be watching this channel for sure. Heck, it might make me a football fan again.

Laters,
Mikef5

And it's great how they switch to another game when there is a commercial time out on one of them. It's my first experience with the RedZone, and I'm very impressed. It had me revetted the whole time 10am - 5 pm. I didn't need to watch any of the summary recaps of the day's games.
millerwill is offline  
post #11966 of 15325 Old 10-27-2009, 12:11 PM
Senior Member
 
That Don Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Benicia, CA, USA
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5 View Post

I gave up on the Raiders along time ago. Blacking out games isn't going to get fans to go to their games.... a winning team gets them there and a ticket price that would allow an entire family to go to their games and not have to mortgage their house. I still watch the 49er's, they at least will buy up tickets and give them to local charities to prevent the game from being blacked out.

I was under the impression that the Raiders and/or KPIX do the same thing, but they have to get to the point where the NFL considers them close enough to a blackout that they will grant a 24-hour extension to the 72-hour limit (otherwise it's just too expensive), and with the Raiders, that just doesn't happen particularly often.

And I for one hope NFL Red Zone doesn't become too popular; otherwise, the NFL may give serious consideration to blacking it out in areas where a blacked-out game is being played (otherwise it pretty much defeats the purpose of having the blackout rule).

-- Don
That Don Guy is offline  
post #11967 of 15325 Old 10-27-2009, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Cal1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 2,593
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

And it's great how they switch to another game when there is a commercial time out on one of them. It's my first experience with the RedZone, and I'm very impressed. It had me revetted the whole time 10am - 5 pm. I didn't need to watch any of the summary recaps of the day's games.


I've been watching RedZone in SD. I have been very impressed with the presentation and the game choices made by the directors. I also think that Scott Hanson, the host, does a very good job. This weekend is the last time that I should be watching RedZone in SD. We get our additional HD channels on Monday, woo hoo!
Cal1981 is offline  
post #11968 of 15325 Old 10-27-2009, 03:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
millerwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 11,442
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

I've been watching RedZone in SD. I have been very impressed with the presentation and the game choices made by the directors. I also think that Scott Hanson, the host, does a very good job. This weekend is the last time that I should be watching RedZone in SD. We get our additional HD channels on Monday, woo hoo!

You're going to LOVE it! It's by far my most enjoyable addition fro WOM.
millerwill is offline  
post #11969 of 15325 Old 10-27-2009, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
ldivinag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: N37*39 W122*3
Posts: 705
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
so what's everyone's fav WOM channel so far...

leo d.
ldivinag is offline  
post #11970 of 15325 Old 10-28-2009, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mds54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 1,265
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldivinag View Post

so what's everyone's fav WOM channel so far...

NFLRZ beats any single channel I've ever had, as a total NFL fan.
It removes the need or desire for DTV's Sunday Ticket, at a couple hundred bucks. The announcer is good, and there is not a single commercial! By the end of the day, I feel like I've watched every football game in HD (which includes blacked-out Raider games), and have enjoyed watching the conclusion of a few OT games which we would never have seen here on the West Coast. This channel by itself makes everything else worth it!
mds54 is offline  
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off