post #14281 of 15305 Old 04-15-2012, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcady View Post

The sound was lousy, for me the crowd noise was way too loud, had a hard time listening to the commentary. Very annoying.

That is exactly the symptom of the problem. By compressing the audio so hard, the crowd noise is not allowed to remain "underneath" the announcers -- it is pulled up to the maximum possible level. At the same time, anything that should be louder, such as the crack of the bat, or when K&K get excited, if completely eliminated. If anything, the compressor pulls the level down so that instead of getting louder, those events get lower. This is what makes it feels like my eardrums are being sucked out.

Later today, I am going to post a short clip that demonstrates the problem. The games sound fine on MLB.TV, so I know they are still being MIXED properly in the truck. I will post a comparison between the two. In the meantime, here's a visual representation of what's going on:

Note in the top waveform, the crowd noise is low, and the announcers (the larger peaks near the beginning) are well above it. Then there is a crack of the bat and things get exciting -- the announcer level goes up, and so does the crowd, but the announcers are always "set" above the crowd level.

Compare that to the one on the bottom. This is ay CSN-BA sounds now. Note there is little to no variation and it is impossible to distinguish the announcers from the crowd noise.

That is just plain poor. No other way to describe it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14282 of 15305 Old 04-15-2012, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5 View Post

It could be that the sound problem might be in an isolated loop or loops.
Has anyone tried to tie it down to which areas had this problem and which didn't ? Or what kind of equipment they are using ?

Hey Mike,

I can hear this problem from a variety of providers (Comcast, DirecTV, etc) and through any kind of receiver, DVR, either with 5.1 or L/R analog. I'm a TV engineer and I know exactly what causes this as I have heard it many times -- in fact, I have been involved with the installation and setup of such devices -- this is the way they usually sound when you take them out of the box and use one of the built-in "presets." I have never found any of these presets to be worth anything -- they sound horrible, just like what I am hearing on CSN-BA. The first thing I do is dial all the compression/limiting settings to ZERO, and then apply some VERY gentle settings -- it's so light you can't hear anything happening. Once you HEAR it, it's no good (in my opinion).

What are these boxes you ask? Here's an example of one:

http://www.linearacoustic.com/produc...l/aeroair.html

No doubt CSN installed this so they could be compliant with the soon-to-be-law CALM Act, but it is simply not necessary to destroy the audio in the process. The box can be adjusted so that it still does its job, but is not noticeable.

Edit: Just switched over to PrimeTicket HD on DirecTV to listen to Vin Scully -- sounds GREAT! (the channel AND Vin). I'll watch the Giants game later via MLB.TV to avoid CSN-BA.
post #14283 of 15305 Old 04-15-2012, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barovelli View Post

I had cable on my own tv at age 8, (look what THAT did to me) in 1966 there was no box, just local and bay area stations plus the weather dial scan. Thats CATV as in "community antenna television".

Anyone remember traps? Premiums would come in on all TVs in the house.

Yup, I'm showing my age and Ken must be a young pup.

In the early 1950s TV came to the nearby town (I lived in a small farm town of 300 about 17 miles from said community) via cable. It was to distribute signals from station 150 miles away (the closest TV stations). A couple years later a UHF station started up in the community about 60 miles from that town (about 40 from mine) which carried all 3 networks.

There were no boxes back then nor was there one at the house in Marin in the Bay Area I lived at for awhile in 1969-70. Boxes and premium channels came along later. Pay TV was quite a hot potato topic back in the 50's and 60's. The public didn't seem to like the idea that much.

I would question ever allowing cable service to encrypt local broadcast signals. Paying for limited basic should be enough. But they will argue they want to "provide more" and they can do so at better quality (MP4 no three packing) using IPTV. Unless they leave a section of the cable as Open QAM then you will need a "box."
post #14284 of 15305 Old 04-15-2012, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, I've set up my sound system to have no pre-sets or filtering and I can hear the difference when I use the preset that I set up ( not a standard setup ) and when it's not being used.
The crowd noise is way louder than the announcers are. When I use the preset that I have set up, I can mitigate the crowd noise to where it's much lower than the announcers are.
I accomplished this by on my initial setup of my stereo system I did 15 different listening spots in order to balance the sound to the speakers. The use of the Audyssey setup helps immensely.

My point is that if you take the time to setup your audio system you can get a much better sound than if you just hook it up and use the canned presets.
I use the canned preset of Sports normally when I watch baseball because it's just baseball and I'm more forgiving on the sound than I am if the picture is screwed up.
I can't believe I said it's "just baseball ", I should be chastised for saying that

Should you have to do this, no, but that's why I bought the avr. So that, if I have to, I can make the sound better than not using one.

I'm not saying that you guys don't have your stereo systems setup properly, I'm just saying I've found a way of getting better sound and correcting that problem than if I didn't use the avr and it's settings.
Also, if you have an Audyssey setup in your avr, using it makes a world of difference.

Now with all that said, that's not saying that the stations aren't responsible for the problems in the sound and they should be contacted to let them know that something is not right in their sound signal.
All the engineers that I've come into contact with have all said that they take the viewers comments seriously and it's one way that they can know that everything is running correctly, so let them know and that goes for Comcast as well.
I know people like to hate on Comcast but they also care about their programing even though sometimes they really try my patience, they do have people that work for them that do care.

I am now going back to the game, as hard as it is, since they are losing right now. It's only the 5th inning so........

Laters,
Mikef5
post #14285 of 15305 Old 04-15-2012, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mike,

Interesting that you were able to restore some balance to the mix. I can't do that myself -- I don't use an A/V receiver so I don't have any "presets." I am a minimalist who prefers 2-channel stereo, so I listen to that directly through a McIntosh pre-amp/power-amp combo.

It should be noted that although we are in a Comcast thread, this really isn't a "fault" of Comcast (the cable provider) -- it is a fault with Comcast SportsNet Bay Area, which is a programming provider. I am watching via DirecTV. So far, I know of at least 10 people who have sent complaints via their website, and no one has received the courtesy of a response. That doesn't give me much hope that they are going to back off on the compression any time soon. I'll stick with MLB.TV in the meantime ... sounds fine there, as they get their feeds from the trucks, thus circumventing any manipulation that is done by the RSNs.
post #14286 of 15305 Old 04-15-2012, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videojanitor View Post

Mike,

Interesting that you were able to restore some balance to the mix. I can't do that myself -- I don't use an A/V receiver so I don't have any "presets." I am a minimalist who prefers 2-channel stereo, so I listen to that directly through a McIntosh pre-amp/power-amp combo.

It should be noted that although we are in a Comcast thread, this really isn't a "fault" of Comcast (the cable provider) -- it is a fault with Comcast SportsNet Bay Area, which is a programming provider. I am watching via DirecTV. So far, I know of at least 10 people who have sent complaints via their website, and no one has received the courtesy of a response. That doesn't give me much hope that they are going to back off on the compression any time soon. I'll stick with MLB.TV in the meantime ... sounds fine there, as they get their feeds from the trucks, thus circumventing any manipulation that is done by the RSNs.

Actually, Comcast SportsNet Bay Area is owned by NBCUniversal/Comcast ( 45 percent ownership ). Comcast bought NBCUniversal a while back but they have been involved with the Bay Area for quite some time. It use to be call Fox Sports Net and I think Fox still has a minority share in the station. I have been involved with Comcast for a long time and was here when they took over CSNBA and I had friends at FSN. I'm shocked that AT&T Park isn't called Comcast Park, with all the money Comcast spends here in the Bay Area.

Well, I'm glad you found a solution to the sound problem for you but the only way to correct it is to let the station/Comcast know that there is a problem.

Well, commercial is over, back to the game.

Laters,
Mikef5
post #14287 of 15305 Old 04-15-2012, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, I'm glad you found a solution to the sound problem for you but the only way to correct it is to let the station/Comcast know that there is a problem.

I have contacted them several times, as have at least 10 other people. No response. I am drafting a snail-mail letter today in case they are not reading their email.

Don't tell me the score ... I won't be watching until at least 90 minutes after it ends (due to MLB.TV blackout rules!).
post #14288 of 15305 Old 04-15-2012, 04:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:

Hey Mike,

Edit: Just switched over to PrimeTicket HD on DirecTV to listen to Vin Scully -- sounds GREAT! (the channel AND Vin). I'll watch the Giants game later via MLB.TV to avoid CSN-BA.

Quote:

Actually, Comcast SportsNet Bay Area is owned by NBCUniversal/Comcast ( 45 percent ownership ). Comcast bought NBCUniversal a while back but they have been involved with the Bay Area for quite some time. It use to be call Fox Sports Net and I think Fox still has a minority share in the station. I have been involved with Comcast for a long time and was here when they took over CSNBA and I had friends at FSN. I'm shocked that AT&T Park isn't called Comcast Park, with all the money Comcast spends here in the Bay Area.

Well, commercial is over, back to the game.

Laters,
Mikef5

That's what makes this even more frustrating, both CSNBA and the Dodgers broadcast partner Prime Ticket, are both essentially FOX sports nets(or were until recently), presumably running very similar, if not the same equipment, yet the game audio from Prime Ticket is literally worlds better than CSNBA and they're both just 2 channel feeds.

What ever they're doing at CSNBA, it's wrong and needs to be fixed. The reason I believe it's wrong is because when I switch from Dolby Digital to a straight PCM output on the Dodger feed there is virtually no difference in the way it sounds, the announcer is clear, the crowd noise raises and lowers when something happens, and DD PLIIx enables active surround output just like it is when set to DD output. When I do the same with the Giants feed the surrounds come alive(a little versus none at all before) and the announcer's voice raises somewhat from the crowd noise. When it's switched back to DD output everything sounds the same and the surrounds are dead.

(Oh yeah, Kemp, the real MVP of 2011, now has 6 HRs on the year and leads the majors in every offensive category! )
post #14289 of 15305 Old 04-15-2012, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have contacted them several times, as have at least 10 other people. No response. I am drafting a snail-mail letter today in case they are not reading their email.

Don't tell me the score ... I won't be watching until at least 90 minutes after it ends (due to MLB.TV blackout rules!).

THE SCORE IS ........
Darn commercial just ended, back to the game
post #14290 of 15305 Old 04-15-2012, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Sorry to tell you this...but your (early) cable system MUST have been pretty advanced in your area.
Ours (& actually a couple around us) were evidently NOT like yours at all...& we (I) had cable since 1976.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

How many TV's could receive any cable TV without a cable box when it first was introduced?

Until about the early 80's...ALL our TV's did, & there were ONLY 12 channels available, including HBO. So yes, EVERY TV got EVERY channel w/out a box.
Oh yea...we ALSO got cable FM service until the late 80's; about 2 dozen (out of area) FM stations available on ANY FM stereo, w/out any boxes.

Quote:

Now let me ask you another question; How many TV's could receive premium cable channels without a box when they were introduced?

Sorry, as another posted points out, actually MANY system used (negative) traps on the pole to block HBO from non-subs. And on our system, the "trap" was actually a coil of special coax, that was manufactured in a special way, to knock out channel 5. (where HBO was) Eventually, they converted over to the typical "cylinder" type traps.

AND, when our system switched channel 5 from HBO, to Spotlight, THEN to Showtime, they brought back HBO on channel 14. On it they used a positive trap system (the trap filtered out the "scrambling" signal) at the pole - & because of this, as long as you had a cable-ready set, all those sets got HBO w/out their "box" as well.

Quote:

Now let me ask you another question; How many TV's could receive cable local HD channels without a cable box when they were introduced?

True, but it's really NO different than when (analog) cable-ready sets came out in the 80's. When Insight first added local HD's, NONE were encrypted...but actually QAM tuner TV's were already pretty available by then.
And on our system, when they expanded out to 36 channels in the late 80's, the ONLY stations that were scrambled, were the added pay channels of TMC, MAX, & DISNEY. EVERYTHING else (30+ channels) was in-the-clear & was viewable on any cable-ready set.

Quote:

It's really very simple. Very little has changed. For pay provider TV, you need a box.

Sorry, but that is NOT an entirely true (blanket) statement - at least for cable TV. I can tell you that ALL these cable systems below, allow you to get ALL local channels, in BOTH SD & HD, as well as the full "expanded basic" SD lineup in digital QAM:

http://www.massilloncabletv.com/qamlineup.php

http://dta.secv.com/info/DTA_Customer_Letter.pdf
(if you see in this letter they send to ALL subs, it specifically states that subs w/digital TV's, can get ALL Classic cable (expanded basic) channels w/NO box)

This cable system does NOT encrypt ANYTHING whatsoever; everything (for premium channels) is done via traps:
http://www.huhomenet.com/services/channels.html

BOTH WOW cable & Insight Cable originally DID encrypt all channels above broadcast basic, but did turn it OFF for all SD expanded basic channels, so any QAM TV will work on them. You can find many posts discussing this over at dslreports.com:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/insight
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/wow

Here's a cable system, that while it encrypts most of it's lineup, DOES openly publish a clear QAM listing of all it's OTA SD & HD channels:
http://www.buckeyecablesystem.com/li...x-channels.pdf

There's other systems out there that are similar to this, but I think I've proved my point...
post #14291 of 15305 Old 04-15-2012, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

That's what makes this even more frustrating, both CSNBA and the Dodgers broadcast partner Prime Ticket, are both essentially FOX sports nets(or were until recently), presumably running very similar, if not the same equipment, yet the game audio from Prime Ticket is literally worlds better than CSNBA and they're both just 2 channel feeds.

Yep, no problem with Prime Ticket -- the Dodgers game sounded just fine. I've mixed enough things that I know how things should sound. The announcer(s) is the "anchor" element -- that is what will be used by the listener to set the volume. Everything else is mixed relative to that -- the crowd should be hovering much lower when there is no action, then come up when something occurs. Gee, it kind of follows what one hears in person ... imagine that!

As a side note, this problem has been present on Comcast SportsNet California for at least a year -- the A's game sounded horrible last year (and still do). Sometime between the end of last season and the start of this one, they obviously decided to install the same processing on CSN-BA. Now they both match -- and sound equally terrible.
post #14292 of 15305 Old 04-15-2012, 09:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

On another note. I just bought another Tivo, a Premiere. I heard that the Bay Area was able to use Comcast's VOD with Tivo's Premiere and Milpitas has been lit up to use it.

One of my TiVos now has Comcast's VOD, the other one hasn't got it yet.
post #14293 of 15305 Old 04-18-2012, 09:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

What ever KNTV is doing, it's light-years better than CSNBA and their AM radio quality audio, nowhere near the "30-tons-mashing-an-orange" like compression CSNBA is doing. While they still have it screwed up as the mapping is wrong - when decoded by Dolby Digital, only the R and L front speakers work so you hear Jon Miller through both speakers and nothing from the center, or any other speaker for that matter. When switched to PCM, the 2 channel feed comes through and DD PLIIx is allowed to perform it's magic and you get the best audio presentation available with Giants broadcasts.

What is truly amazing to me is that in the 6th largest TV market in the nation, the people responsible for the technical aspects of these broadcasts are allowed to get away with such crappy workmanship. Even more amazing is that KNTV basically runs itself at night, nobody really pays attention to the broadcast, and they have an audio presentation that literally makes CSNBA look like a bunch of 10 year olds playing around with a Heathkit amplifier.

Sounds harsh? I couldn't care less, these people, and these stations/networks extract massive amounts of money from the viewer for them to see these broadcasts, not to mention the money the technicians/engineers get paid - this is San Francisco after all, 6th largest market in the country, these people are not getting paid with free baseball caps or jerseys.

Get a clue broadcasters and fix your totally unacceptable broadcasts.
post #14294 of 15305 Old 04-19-2012, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Well said! I am watching my DVR recording of KNTV's presentation right now, and it sounds just fine (listening in 2-channel only). This is all I'm asking for from CSNBA, and this is what we USED to get.

I sent a letter to Larry Baer today, letting him know that CSNBA was making the Giants broadcasts unlistenable. Will he read it or respond? I don't know. I'm hoping that he will confront some at CSNBA about it -- at least rattle some cages. I will not give up on this!
post #14295 of 15305 Old 04-19-2012, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btwyx View Post

One of my TiVos now has Comcast's VOD, the other one hasn't got it yet.

I finally got my cable card for my Tivo Premiere on Tuesday and I've been playing around with it for a couple of days.
I do get Comcast's On-Demand and it actually works. It's not setup like a normal Comcast box but it is useable and it is integrated into the Tivo search results.
So you can now search Netflix, Amazon Video, Hulu Plus, normal tv and Comcast's On Demand and view them from this new interface.
This is the Tivo/Comcast interface that should have been adopted by Comcast along time ago, instead of that wonky software interface they tried on the East coast.

Is it perfect, no, but it is useable and does, for now, what I want it to do.
The HD menu on the Tivo is really slow and takes a while to get use to it but looks very nice.
The Comcast On Demand interface is pretty spartan and takes a while to get use to it but you can finally get On Demand without having to have another box just for getting On Demand.

I'm sure, as I use it more, I'll find things that need to be improved or needs to be added but for an initial roll out of the integration of Tivo and Comcast's On Demand it's a good start and has, for now, kept me from going elsewhere.
I just hope they both continue to work on this and don't just make it work but make it work better.

Laters,
Mikef5
post #14296 of 15305 Old 04-19-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What ever KNTV is doing, it's light-years better than CSNBA and their AM radio quality audio, nowhere near the "30-tons-mashing-an-orange" like compression CSNBA is doing.

Help is on the way! I got a response from CSNBA:

Thanks for your note. You're absolutely right, there has been a change this year that has negatively affected our audio presentation. Nothing has changed in the way we produce the games at the ballpark; it has to do with the way our new Master Control facility in New Jersey processes their upmix to surround sound. The result has been an unnaturally high level of background sound, which is most noticeable in baseball since there are so many quieter moments.

We have been aware of the issue since Opening Day and are working with our Master Control to fix it. It's taking some time as the equipment and settings involved are quite complex, and we want to make sure we get it right rather than making the problem worse.

Thanks for your patience. Please feel free to contact me directly with any further observations and to pass this response along to any other concerned viewers.
post #14297 of 15305 Old 04-19-2012, 01:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Help is on the way! I got a response from CSNBA:

Thanks for your note. You're absolutely right, there has been a change this year that has negatively affected our audio presentation. Nothing has changed in the way we produce the games at the ballpark; it has to do with the way our new Master Control facility in New Jersey processes their upmix to surround sound. The result has been an unnaturally high level of background sound, which is most noticeable in baseball since there are so many quieter moments.

We have been aware of the issue since Opening Day and are working with our Master Control to fix it. It's taking some time as the equipment and settings involved are quite complex, and we want to make sure we get it right rather than making the problem worse.

Thanks for your patience. Please feel free to contact me directly with any further observations and to pass this response along to any other concerned viewers.

Outstanding! I'll take back the "10 yr olds with a Heathkit" remark, but only after they actually fix it!

It's curious though that other FSN-based sports nets don't seem to be having the problem, the Dodgers Prime Ticket is a FOX RSN and it works perfectly.

Next they need to work on the picture quality, seems to me it's looked better in the past, maybe it's the time of year, moisture, sun, etc.
post #14298 of 15305 Old 04-19-2012, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Outstanding! I'll take back the "10 yr olds with a Heathkit" remark, but only after they actually fix it!

It's curious though that other FSN-based sports nets don't seem to be having the problem, the Dodgers Prime Ticket is a FOX RSN and it works perfectly.

Next they need to work on the picture quality, seems to me it's looked better in the past, maybe it's the time of year, moisture, sun, etc.

I think this may have something to do with the Comcast/NBC merger. I would be that they consolidated the Master Control operations into a single facility, but I doubt that the FOX RSN channels are involved in that.

I agree that the picture has also taken a hit. It actually looks better on MLB.TV, discounting the "motion judder" that is present in all MLB.TV content. But I can live with a little image degradation -- I can't live with this sound!
post #14299 of 15305 Old 04-20-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keenan
What ever KNTV is doing, it's light-years better than CSNBA and their AM radio quality audio, nowhere near the "30-tons-mashing-an-orange" like compression CSNBA is doing. While they still have it screwed up as the mapping is wrong - when decoded by Dolby Digital, only the R and L front speakers work so you hear Jon Miller through both speakers and nothing from the center, or any other speaker for that matter.

KNTV broadcasts the game in stereo. They do not upmix.
post #14300 of 15305 Old 04-20-2012, 05:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSJC View Post

KNTV broadcasts the game in stereo. They do not upmix.

I know it's 2 channel, but what ever they are doing it's not being decoded properly by Dolby decoders. When DD PLIIx cannot be applied, and the announcer's voices come out of the R and L speaker only, with no other data in the other speakers, then something is not right.

Could they be making the same mistake FOX is doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Once again this year, the FOX Sports Nets can't get their DD audio right.

They don't do a full 5.1, for whatever technical reasons in Houston, but instead of passing a correct 2.1 feed which can be processed in analog matrix surround mode, they send a 5.1 feed with only 2.1 active. This results in audio processors not being able to switch to Pro Logic mode and only getting audio on the main left, main right, and low frequency effects channels with nothing in the center or rear surrounds.

My make-do is to use analog audio output from the source box. At least I get Pro Logic processing at that point.

Why oh why is this such a dilemma for them?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post21890922

Sure be nice if they fixed it.
post #14301 of 15305 Old 04-22-2012, 01:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know it's 2 channel, but what ever they are doing it's not being decoded properly by Dolby decoders.

I extracted the 5.1 audio from the KNTV game, then opened the AC3 file in Adobe Audition. Check the image below -- this shows what's present on the Left Front/Center/Right front channels. Note that there is nothing in the center channel. Since they are sending 5.1, but with a dead center channel, that is no doubt the reason for the problem.

post #14302 of 15305 Old 04-22-2012, 09:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I extracted the 5.1 audio from the KNTV game, then opened the AC3 file in Adobe Audition. Check the image below -- this shows what's present on the Left Front/Center/Right front channels. Note that there is nothing in the center channel. Since they are sending 5.1, but with a dead center channel, that is no doubt the reason for the problem.

So it does look like they are doing the same as Ken H describes FOX sports nets are doing.

I'm going to have to search my old email as I had an excellent contact at KNTV that did work on correcting another issue with audio about 2 years ago.
post #14303 of 15305 Old 04-23-2012, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

It seems that the CSNBA audio has been fixed! Watching the pre-game show right now and it sounds fine. I'm not hearing the massive compression and my ears are not hurting.

Looking forward now to the games!
post #14304 of 15305 Old 04-23-2012, 01:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

It seems that the CSNBA audio has been fixed! Watching the pre-game show right now and it sounds fine. I'm not hearing the massive compression and my ears are not hurting.

Looking forward now to the games!

Watching the pre-game now and there's an intermittent dropout. When I watch the AVR the audio signal feed channel icon flashes when it drops outs.
post #14305 of 15305 Old 04-23-2012, 01:33 PM

Liked: 11
I'm getting the same drop-out issue...sounds fine for perhaps 10 seconds, then the level drops off to almost nothing, then it's back up for another 10 seconds...
post #14306 of 15305 Old 04-23-2012, 01:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwb View Post

I'm getting the same drop-out issue...sounds fine for perhaps 10 seconds, then the level drops off to almost nothing, then it's back up for another 10 seconds...

Yes, they must be tinkering with it as right this minute the audio is completely gone, no signal at all. Either that or that break for commercial didn't go as planned and something didn't work right during the switch between feeds.

Just got it back, the dropouts may have just tripped up the decoder in my TiVo.
post #14307 of 15305 Old 04-23-2012, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I heard a lot of weird digital "hits" during the pre-game show, but nothing now. The audio on this game is a little odd, so it's not the best to judge the compression issue. There are so few people there, you can literally hear the mixer trying to crank in extra noise in an attempt to add some "excitement." Sometimes when it comes back from a replay, you will hear virtually no crowd noise, then a few seconds later, they'll push the fader way up. The whole character of the sound changes -- even the crack of the bat.

BUT, it is not overpowering Kruk and Kuip. Their voices sound pretty compressed, but not like before. The same compression is not there during the breaks, or during the studio segments, so it may be coming from the truck, or is being applied at CSNBA to the incoming feed. I'll have to compare it to MLB.TV later.

We may have to wait until the next AT&T game to hear if things are truly back to normal, but it's already a huge improvement.
post #14308 of 15305 Old 04-23-2012, 03:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I heard a lot of weird digital "hits" during the pre-game show, but nothing now. The audio on this game is a little odd, so it's not the best to judge the compression issue. There are so few people there, you can literally hear the mixer trying to crank in extra noise in an attempt to add some "excitement." Sometimes when it comes back from a replay, you will hear virtually no crowd noise, then a few seconds later, they'll push the fader way up. The whole character of the sound changes -- even the crack of the bat.

BUT, it is not overpowering Kruk and Kuip. Their voices sound pretty compressed, but not like before. The same compression is not there during the breaks, or during the studio segments, so it may be coming from the truck, or is being applied at CSNBA to the incoming feed. I'll have to compare it to MLB.TV later.

We may have to wait until the next AT&T game to hear if things are truly back to normal, but it's already a huge improvement.

That's what I was thinking, we need a home game to really be able to tell. It's still not mapping and decoding right though, I get K&K across the front from all 3 speakers and a very minimal surround activity from the back speakers, nothing from the sides or rear R/L. When I switch to PCM output all the mapping is right, K&K through center only and DDPLIIx does it's thing with the surround data.
post #14309 of 15305 Old 04-23-2012, 06:57 PM

Is anyone getting channel 187 Universal Sports? I'm using cable card on Tivo with digital preferred, getting all other channels, except 187 US. When I 1st got the package a couple of weeks ago, I thought I was getting it, but now it's not there. Called Comcast, they resend the signal to my cable card, but no change. Any ideas?
post #14310 of 15305 Old 04-24-2012, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'll have to compare it to MLB.TV later.

Well, after comparing the game to MLB.TV, I will say that there has been an improvement, but it is still very far removed from the way the game is being produced. The crowd noise was much louder on CSNBA, and all of the louder moments (crack of the bat, excitement in Kuiper's voice) were all smashed down. I have reported my findings back to CSNBA, and hopefully they will continue to work on this.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page