San Francisco, CA - Comcast - Page 505 - AVS Forum
First ... 503  504  505 506  507  ... Last
Local HDTV Info and Reception > San Francisco, CA - Comcast
c3's Avatar c3 02:25 PM 11-06-2013
When I was charged for a service call for removing the old Extended Basic trap, it was resolved through an online chat. Based on their record, an amplifier was installed in my unit. The guy did not even step into my unit.

wco81's Avatar wco81 04:16 PM 11-06-2013
So looking at my first two bills from Comcast. The first one is not representative because there are a bunch of installation charges and credits.

But what is curious is that the Franchise Fee and the PEG Access Support fees are different between October and November's bill.

The billing periods seem comparable, both list "Premier + HSD" (Double Play) for 10/5-11/4 and 11/5-12/4.

So are others seeing variations on what they charge for the Franchise Fee and PEG Access Support from month to month?

Also, regarding support, I chat with them rather than call in and then save the chat transcripts. Not sure if it will help but I've quoted parts of previous chats to make sure the credits they promised are applied and so forth.
yawitz's Avatar yawitz 05:59 PM 11-06-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Thanks for the info Larry.

I watched 4 CBS shows last night and it did it on every one of them. I also noticed it did it on Supernatural(KBCW) as well, which unless things have changed, comes from the very same control room as KPIX. It's easy to see/hear if you're looking for it but it can be so brief, maybe a second of broken/dropped audio and maybe the slightest pixelation that it's easy to miss. I'm not sure what the problem is, but it's there and seems very deliberate, not so much intentional but what ever it is it's very uniform in it's actions, and it always happens at about 30 secs into playback.

Just checked this forum on this topic, and yes, I'm seeing the same thing. (The predictability of the timing is especially apparent on recordings of Late Night with David Letterman--it happens just as Paul appears in the open.) At first I thought it was a pre-failure problem with my TiVo, but the repeatability of the problem points to something upstream.
greeno's Avatar greeno 12:34 PM 11-07-2013
Quote:

Thanks for the info Larry.

I watched 4 CBS shows last night and it did it on every one of them. I also noticed it did it on Supernatural(KBCW) as well, which unless things have changed, comes from the very same control room as KPIX. It's easy to see/hear if you're looking for it but it can be so brief, maybe a second of broken/dropped audio and maybe the slightest pixelation that it's easy to miss. I'm not sure what the problem is, but it's there and seems very deliberate, not so much intentional but what ever it is it's very uniform in it's actions, and it always happens at about 30 secs into playback.

Hey guys,
I'm seeing the same thing. I was starting to think my dvr was about to go belly up. I also note that the pq for KPIX/CBS is still not good. this is now going back many months...

Best,
jeff
greeno's Avatar greeno 12:40 PM 11-07-2013
Hi guys,
I noticed recently that an hdtv that was connected to cable and had been receiving the HD locals, now does not. a full rescan is only producing a handfull of odd channels - no HD locals. So I guess I'm forced into getting a HD-DTA? crap... not what I wanted to have to get. I already have, from comcast, 2 HD DVR's and another HD box (yes I have 4 hdtv's in the house). I'm guessing this one will cost me?

Best,
jeff
Keenan's Avatar Keenan 06:33 PM 11-07-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by greeno View Post

Hey guys,
I'm seeing the same thing. I was starting to think my dvr was about to go belly up. I also note that the pq for KPIX/CBS is still not good. this is now going back many months...

Best,
jeff
Thanks for posting, and I thought the same thing when I first started seeing it, that the HDD was going out in my TiVo, until I noticed the consistency and timing of it. I have no idea what it is but it seems to be a Comcast only thing as Larry above notes he's not seeing via OTA.

And yes, KPIX PQ is crap, apparently they wanted to match their crap audio.
Keenan's Avatar Keenan 06:36 PM 11-07-2013
Quote:

Hi guys,
I noticed recently that an hdtv that was connected to cable and had been receiving the HD locals, now does not. a full rescan is only producing a handfull of odd channels - no HD locals. So I guess I'm forced into getting a HD-DTA? crap... not what I wanted to have to get. I already have, from comcast, 2 HD DVR's and another HD box (yes I have 4 hdtv's in the house). I'm guessing this one will cost me?

Best,
jeff
Comcast encrypted all the channels just recently, you'll need one of their boxes although I don't know which or what kind as I use strictly aftermarket CableCARD devices like TiVos. Others have posted a page or so back what you'll need to get.
greeno's Avatar greeno 11:33 AM 11-08-2013
thanks Keenan. I stopped by the comcast office this a.m. They gave me a "universal" DTA free for one year, for the HDTV in the back bedroom. They also gave me a 50% discount on my second DVR for a year. Every little bit helps.
Keenan's Avatar Keenan 04:49 PM 11-08-2013
Quote:

thanks Keenan. I stopped by the comcast office this a.m. They gave me a "universal" DTA free for one year, for the HDTV in the back bedroom. They also gave me a 50% discount on my second DVR for a year. Every little bit helps.
Yes, every 5-6 mos I go to the office and see what sort of deal/promo I can get out of them. I haven't paid a straight full price for anything in years, it all adds up, especially with a company like Comcast that seems immune to the economy at large and continues to raise prices.
TPeterson's Avatar TPeterson 03:47 PM 11-09-2013
Quote:

And yes, KPIX PQ is crap, apparently they wanted to match their crap audio.
Jim, as Larry Kenney has noted, KPIX' own PQ is among the best in our market. It's that compressed "KPIX" that you're getting from Comcast that's crap. wink.gif
Keenan's Avatar Keenan 07:32 PM 11-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

Jim, as Larry Kenney has noted, KPIX' own PQ is among the best in our market. It's that compressed "KPIX" that you're getting from Comcast that's crap. wink.gif
Right, I have to remember to qualify my KPIX bashing in the future. biggrin.gif

We used to get great quality KPIX via Comcast although their audio has always been a bit compressed, now it's really compressed - no dynamic range at all, everything is the same level.

Now KNTV via Comcast, it's the best in the market, those guys know how to do audio, and the PQ on the primetime dramas is also very good. Maybe a bit hyperbolic, but the difference in KPIX to KNTV is like DVD to Blu-ray, KNTV it's that much better in my opinion.
eugenile's Avatar eugenile 11:23 AM 11-12-2013
wco81's Avatar wco81 03:59 PM 11-12-2013
I'm paying $1.50 for my "M" Cable Card for my Tivo Roamio, my only one.

I'm getting a 2-year Double Play deal, which I think included a basic digital cable box.

But since I got the Tivo, they said it would cost me $1.50 and they didn't even offer a credit on the box I'm not using.
c3's Avatar c3 10:09 PM 11-12-2013
http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/purchasing-a-cablecard

First CableCard should be free, even for Limited Basic. TV services above Limited Basic include a SD STB for each outlet, or a CableCard with equipment credit.
btwyx's Avatar btwyx 07:35 PM 11-13-2013
I get a $2.50 credit for the box I don't have. It offsets the 2x$1.50 for the two cable cards.
CheezeBoy's Avatar CheezeBoy 01:51 PM 11-16-2013
I'm new to Comcast, so just had to give my update on the first few weeks. I got a lot from the last few pages of this thread, hopefully my experience helps others! I signed up with their Internet + Limited Basic bundle. I wanted the local HD channels. Internet = excellent (came from DSL). TV was a fun time. First box they sent me was a SD STB. blah. Called them up and said I wanted a HD DTA. Person said no problem, it's on it's way. I received a regular HD box (non STB version, it was an odd box). Of course, it didn't work. Did an online chat this time and they said, no problem, we'll get you a DTA. I didn't say 'HD' , and yup, got a SD version. So yes, they still have SD versions! Called this time and CSR suggested I got into the local SF branch and pick up the HD DTA and return all the boxes that I don't need; they said SF had 75. Went this morning at opening, no problems, small line and it moved fast.

Plug everything in, no HD! I call. CSR claimed I needed the 'HD Tech Fee'. I said over and over again that I'm limited basic and 'Are you sure? '' 'Your site says otherwise' 'Your forums say otherwise'... She was sure.. I was in a stalemate with a handful of silence between the two of us. Finally she said, let me check once again with the other people on the other line. I said make sure to say I'm 'limited basic'. She came back and said, 'alright, we're putting in the HD code now'. I was a little confused and wanted to confirm I was correct, 'So limited basic does get the HD channels then? I'm just making sure I read your site correctly'. She said something along the lines of how she as well as the 'other people on the line' didn't know there was a separate code for limited basic HD.

whew.. well HD is on now!
Brian Conrad's Avatar Brian Conrad 02:02 PM 11-16-2013
Let's see, if Comcast were an airline...... biggrin.gif
tranle's Avatar tranle 01:59 AM 11-17-2013
I have a limited basic subscription and I just did channel scan on by cable card and I am getting a bunch HD sport channels and other that I was not getting a few month ago (before they started encrypting everything). Is anybody else with Limited basic getting these channel:
723 NBCSP - HD FF B
727 NBATV HD
728 NHLTV HD
730 NFL NETWORK HD
731 FS1 HD
732 CBS SPORTS HD
749 Golf HD
750 DSCHD-DISCOVERY (already got this before)
775 WGN HD (already got this before)
786 TNND
811 HSN HD East
812 QVC HD WEST
823 PAC12BA HD
c3's Avatar c3 02:56 AM 11-17-2013
I see them as well, also in Mountain View. 811 and 812 are already in Limited Basic.
Spiderman865's Avatar Spiderman865 03:16 PM 11-17-2013
Comcast has been running a free preview of the sports
channels from 11/11-11/17.
Keenan's Avatar Keenan 03:18 PM 11-17-2013
Comcast has channels with sports on them??? wink.gif
Cal1981's Avatar Cal1981 10:03 PM 11-19-2013
Is anyone seeing a lot of glitches on Kntv on the HD side? Maybe my DVR (Moto RNG200N) is going south but almost anything that I record from Kntv has tons of video/audio glitches. It's very annoying and I'd hate to switch the dvr out since it has a 500gb hard drive but I will if I have to.
Brian Conrad's Avatar Brian Conrad 12:10 PM 11-20-2013
You could talk to Comcast about it. When I had glitches way back when I got the HD install they found it was somewhere down the road in their line not at my house or my gear.
Cal1981's Avatar Cal1981 06:59 PM 11-21-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

You could talk to Comcast about it. When I had glitches way back when I got the HD install they found it was somewhere down the road in their line not at my house or my gear.

You may be right Brian. I did power cycle the DVR last night and will wait to see if that improves the situation.

On another note, I have three HD TVs with two Moto HD DVRs and a Pace HD Cable box. In the room facing the kitchen, in a wall unit, I had an old 27" Sony Trinitron analogue set using an SD DTA. The Sony weighed a ton and was difficult to move around or out of it's space. I took my DTA to my local Comcast store and swapped it for a Moto HD DTA. The old Sony was replaced with a 29" Samsung LED set and I have to say that I am very pleased with the HD DTA. It brings in around 80 HD channels and they show up at 16x9 they way that they should (if the program is being transmitted that way). Obviously there are no program menus, although Comcast is apparently now testing that somewhere back east so maybe they'll implement that in the near future. The $1.99 monthly fee remained the same and , all and all, getting rid of the Battleship Trinitron and getting a nice HD set with a bunch of HD channels has made me a happy camper.
c3's Avatar c3 02:46 PM 12-08-2013
I just upgraded from $22 Limited Basic to $40 (1 year) Internet Plus, which is Limited Basic + HBO + 25Mbps Internet. I should get the $2.50 credit as well for using CableCARD. That's a pretty good promo price, especially for 1 year.
Keenan's Avatar Keenan 04:00 PM 12-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3 View Post

I just upgraded from $22 Limited Basic to $40 (1 year) Internet Plus, which is Limited Basic + HBO + 25Mbps Internet. I should get the $2.50 credit as well for using CableCARD. That's a pretty good promo price, especially for 1 year.
That is a good deal, certainly worth looking into when my current deals/promos run out.
wco81's Avatar wco81 04:25 PM 12-08-2013
$40 a month for Internet and a TV package that includes HBO for a year?
c3's Avatar c3 06:02 PM 12-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

$40 a month for Internet and a TV package that includes HBO for a year?

Yup. I was going to add Performance Internet for $20/month (6 months promo), but that turned out to be cheaper. I don't really care about the HBO portion.
tranle's Avatar tranle 08:00 PM 12-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3 View Post

Did you asked what they are going to charge you to get HD ?

For standard limited basic there is no HD fee and HD STB is $2.65.

If going to Internet Plus means that you need to get the HD fee at $10 and and each HD STB is $8 it may end up getting the same as Limited Basic + Blast separately.
c3's Avatar c3 09:28 PM 12-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranle View Post

Did you asked what they are going to charge you to get HD ?

For standard limited basic there is no HD fee and HD STB is $2.65.

If going to Internet Plus means that you need to get the HD fee at $10 and and each HD STB is $8 it may end up getting the same as Limited Basic + Blast separately.

I use CableCARD, not Comcast STB, so there is no HD fee.
First ... 503  504  505 506  507  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop