San Francisco, CA - Comcast - Page 507 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #15181 of 15275 Old 01-23-2014, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Over the past week I have seen numerous instances of video/audio breakup on many HD channels. It's usually bands of pixelation with audio stuttering. It happens on all of the TVs in the house. Has anyone in the North Bay or beyond seen any of this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15182 of 15275 Old 01-23-2014, 07:44 PM
c3
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

Over the past week I have seen numerous instances of video/audio breakup on many HD channels. It's usually bands of pixelation with audio stuttering. It happens on all of the TVs in the house. Has anyone in the North Bay or beyond seen any of this?

Similar experience in Mountain View. Not sure if it was caused by Comcast or my TiVo.
post #15183 of 15275 Old 01-23-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3 View Post

Similar experience in Mountain View. Not sure if it was caused by Comcast or my TiVo.

Not your TiVo. I also see this using Comcast DVRs (two different models). I always see a short (1 or 2 secs) breakup in certain programs at the very end or very beginning of the program. Seems only to occur on the local channels. I know I consistently see it near the beginning of Jeopardy (it starts at 6:59 pm daily on 707 KGO-HD), and near the end of The Middle (Wed's just before 8:30 pm on 707). Don't know if it occurs on non-HD channels or when watching live (I time shift these programs). I swear this started right around the time they started encrypting the locals. confused.gif in my case, at least, I don't think it is due to weak signal or anything like that since it is so consistent. I KNOW it's not the station because when watching the same thing OTA, it never happens.

Jim in Sunnyvale
post #15184 of 15275 Old 01-23-2014, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm watching NBC now and getting one breakup after another. Calling Comcast tomorrow morning.
post #15185 of 15275 Old 01-24-2014, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Just called the problem in. Truck roll tomorrow morning.
post #15186 of 15275 Old 01-24-2014, 09:13 AM

Same issue for me in Fremont on my TiVo, its doing it on most of the channels too. Not very frequent but happening. Seems to be ok most of the time, noticed a bad drop out last night.

My SNR is 42db's, I've never managed to catch during the breakup to see if it drops.
post #15187 of 15275 Old 01-24-2014, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Eastbay, between Oakland and Walnut Creek and I see the same breakup the past few days.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.
-Bertrand Russell
post #15188 of 15275 Old 01-24-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevini View Post

Same issue for me in Fremont on my TiVo, its doing it on most of the channels too. Not very frequent but happening. Seems to be ok most of the time, noticed a bad drop out last night.

My SNR is 42db's, I've never managed to catch during the breakup to see if it drops.

My SNRs are generally in the 35 -37 range but yesterday night they were dropping to 32 at times and Tuner 2 actually went as low as 25. There were quite a few uncorrectable errors as well. Unbelievably, my call to Comcast was the first one that they've gotten from my immediate area so it's either an issue with my connection to the street box or it's a head end issue and people just don't call these things in. It got to the point where I had no choice but to call.
post #15189 of 15275 Old 01-24-2014, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Hmm, didn't see any problems but was only watching ESPN HD live.

DId record a couple of programs on NBC, 703. So will see if it had issues.
post #15190 of 15275 Old 01-24-2014, 02:30 PM

Liked: 11
I've had dropout issues for over a week now. They seem to mostly happen on a scene change and sometimes I notice a total drop in signal on my receiver when it occurs. Sometimes the audio is also affected but most of the time it is only the video. I live in Fremont near Union City.
post #15191 of 15275 Old 01-26-2014, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marswill View Post

I've had dropout issues for over a week now. They seem to mostly happen on a scene change and sometimes I notice a total drop in signal on my receiver when it occurs. Sometimes the audio is also affected but most of the time it is only the video. I live in Fremont near Union City.

The Comcast tech was here today and, very conveniently,while the hockey game was on NBC this morning, there were some drops including one one corker when just the game started. Fortunately, I had it recorded on my DVR so he could see it first hand. He had a bunch of service calls for similar complaints in the area was well. While he was checking the street box he was on the line with the network engineers, convincing them that this issue is in their domain. He said that the field techs had banded together to jam on the network guys and that this problem goes well beyond the head ends. In other words this is a systemic problem in the Bay Area that is being tracked down.
post #15192 of 15275 Old 01-27-2014, 06:35 AM

Liked: 18

Worked as a tech for Comcast for years and am now with DirecTV but, perhaps stating what your setup is and I could offer some advice.  How many splitters, do you have an amp, have all the coax cables been checked along with fittings, has any tech ever replaced the drop to your house and is it underground or aerial?

post #15193 of 15275 Old 01-27-2014, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwpottberg View Post

Not your TiVo. I also see this using Comcast DVRs (two different models). I always see a short (1 or 2 secs) breakup in certain programs at the very end or very beginning of the program. Seems only to occur on the local channels. I know I consistently see it near the beginning of Jeopardy (it starts at 6:59 pm daily on 707 KGO-HD), and near the end of The Middle (Wed's just before 8:30 pm on 707). Don't know if it occurs on non-HD channels or when watching live (I time shift these programs). I swear this started right around the time they started encrypting the locals. confused.gif in my case, at least, I don't think it is due to weak signal or anything like that since it is so consistent. I KNOW it's not the station because when watching the same thing OTA, it never happens.

Jim in Sunnyvale

I'd recently been complaining that my break-ups were KPIX only. Well it also in KGO. suburbatory and the middle both have it which is consistent with what you report. the consistent drop-outs sound like an extreme version of what we're seeing or a different issue.

regardless, a week from this tuesday I'm switching to directv. I need a change. my bill is going from $145/mo to about $80/mo during the first year, then $120/mo. even with the upfront cost, $300, I'm way ahead. Also getting a whole house system with 8 tuners (5 tuner Genie, 1 HD DVR, 1 HD receiver and a tuner-less mini) available for viewing or recording compared to my non-whole-house system with 6 tuners (2 HD DVR's, 1 HD STB, 1 HD DTA).
Best,
jeff
post #15194 of 15275 Old 01-27-2014, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I just went the other way. Surprised they didn't offer you the Genie for zero upfront cost.

So you are going only to Internet with Comcast? They should boost the price for Internet only?
post #15195 of 15275 Old 01-27-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

the deal for the genie is very good in my opinion (but the equipment cost in year 2 is high). I only had comcast for TV. some years ago I went to att dsl, and now uverse. comcast had an internet issue that lasted for 3-6 months that they were very slow to address. we'd have an outage every day at random times lasting from 30 minutes to 8 hours! att uverse internet is only 18mps down and 1.5mps up, but it's very consistent and reliable.

I just bundled home phone with uverse internet for a cost savings. I'd never go to uverse TV since you get no more than 3 HD streams (of 4 total). In my location I'd only get 1 HD stream as I'm too far from the node. that'd be a downgrade from comcast TV.

I've been fighting bundles for years, but I've got in to one that was too easy (already had att for phone, just not digital).

Best,
jeff

edit: comcast internet seemed to always have issues with signal levels. they were burning out my cable modems like every 6 mo. the issue causing the outage was a neighbor putting noise on the line that killed internet connectivity for 50-60 people!
post #15196 of 15275 Old 01-27-2014, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakindacrack View Post

Worked as a tech for Comcast for years and am now with DirecTV but, perhaps stating what your setup is and I could offer some advice.  How many splitters, do you have an amp, have all the coax cables been checked along with fittings, has any tech ever replaced the drop to your house and is it underground or aerial?

One main 4 way splitter off the main line into the house, no amps. The tech thoroughly checked everything from the street drop (R11 underground) in and put some new compression fittings on the cables coming off the splitter. He didn't see any significant issues at the house level. Watching the last hour of the Grammys last night was excruciating because there were so many drop outs. Someone down the block from me experienced the same thing. It is, the tech said, clearly a network issue affecting those subscribers who are on A nodes. He said that those on the B nodes appeared to be unaffected.
post #15197 of 15275 Old 01-27-2014, 02:53 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:

One main 4 way splitter off the main line into the house, no amps. The tech thoroughly checked everything from the street drop (R11 underground) in and put some new compression fittings on the cables coming off the splitter. He didn't see any significant issues at the house level. Watching the last hour of the Grammys last night was excruciating because there were so many drop outs. Someone down the block from me experienced the same thing. It is, the tech said, clearly a network issue affecting those subscribers who are on A nodes. He said that those on the B nodes appeared to be unaffected.

Okay, I just always have a hard time taking the word of allot of techs after seeing just how lazy or overlooked things are in this field.  Now that I work for DirecTV I can't tell you the countless times that a person was switching over due to unresolved issues that I am able to discover (and could easily fix) after about 25-30 mins of just doing my walkthrough and installation on the house.  Most of the time is bad barrels, fittings, cables, random splices, or the usual bad aerial drop that everyone's too lazy to replace cause it still looks alright.

I can't tell you how many times I pulled amps off of installations cause they weren't needed.  You can't bandage a gash wound in this field that's for sure it make work for a little but but, it will come up sooner then later.

post #15198 of 15275 Old 02-02-2014, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

It looks like Comcast's network guys may have figured out what the signal issue was. I don't recall seeing any A/V breakups for at least several days now. How about the rest of you who were seeing the problems?
post #15199 of 15275 Old 02-03-2014, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

I had break-ups several time during the super bowl. last week I had the usual early in the program break-up and am now noticing a near end of program break-up on KPIX and KGO (CBS and ABC, respectively).Tonight I won't be able to check as I'm having directv installed this morning (I'm waiting for them now). what part of the bay area are you located in (generally)?

Best,
jeff
post #15200 of 15275 Old 02-03-2014, 01:00 PM

I am still seeing breakups also, no improvement seen yet.
post #15201 of 15275 Old 02-05-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

the break-up issue reminds me of a comcast issue my entire neighborhood had some years ago (5-6). every single day our comcast internet would go down for some amount of time usually a couple of hours, at random times. i got in the habit of calling and logging the issue and had my wife trained as well. months went by and I finally canvassed the neighborhood (about 50 houses in the subdivision) handing out flyers to the neighbors who had comcast internet (all had noted the outages) providing a script for calling and logging the outages. Still more months went by. I think it was over 6 months before they figured out one of our neighbors was pushing noise into the lines that caused the outage for all the other neighbors. neverminding the fact that I was going through cable modems (moto surfboards) about 2 per year (probably a too high signal situation)...

After my canvassing I bailed on comcast internet to att dsl and now uverse internet, and have not looked back. yea comcast offers +50mps downloads, I get 18mps down using both lines because I'm pretty far from the node. I only get 1.5mps up. but it's consistent, supports my households streaming, gaming and surfing habits and virtually never goes down (knock on wood).

fast forward to this week. I need a wholehouse dvr solution. X1, if you read the forums here and on the comcast site, offers such a service, but it's buggy, laggy and not ready for prime time. furthermore comcast requires a triple play to get it (ok, there's no contract so I could cancel phone and internet, but that's a hassle). After 13 years living with comcast's DVRs, I've moved on to directv. it's different and missing some stuff xfinity had (guide says if a program is new or a repeat, directv's doesn't), but it's speeeeedy, has given me a wholehouse solution with 8 tuners available to record or watch tv in 4 rooms. the DVR is smooth as silk when fast forwarding or rewinding. It's basically just works.

we lost MGMHD which we did watch, but my bill is $55 per month cheaper for year 1, includes the movie channels and encore (premiums), plus HBO, STARZ, SHOTIME for free for 3 mo. I was paying $135/mo to comcast for 2 HD DVRs, 1 HD tuner, 1 HD DTA for digital preferred and no premiums. in year 2 it's only $20 cheaper.

anyway sorry for the long post. please know it's not a rant but more cathartic ;-)

Best,
jeff
post #15202 of 15275 Old 02-26-2014, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm still seeing few if any of the breakups that occurred routinely before the tech made a service call. Just have to keep my fingers crossed I guess. Lately though, I've noticed the reemergence of an issue that was supposed to have been dealt with by Congress and the FCC. Many commercials are, once again, running at much higher volume levels than the programming. It gets to the point that I have to grab the remote to turn down the sound at times. This is a clear violation of the regulations and I filled out an FCC complaint form last night.
post #15203 of 15275 Old 02-26-2014, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

Lately though, I've noticed the reemergence of an issue that was supposed to have been dealt with by Congress and the FCC. Many commercials are, once again, running at much higher volume levels than the programming. It gets to the point that I have to grab the remote to turn down the sound at times. This is a clear violation of the regulations and I filled out an FCC complaint form last night.
Thanks for pointing out where to file an FCC complaint.
post #15204 of 15275 Old 03-01-2014, 02:40 PM

Liked: 13
KPIX still drops for 10 seconds every morning 7:01am. Always shows a Comcast telephone number. I wonder if I should call it every morning?

I'm cheap though, all about the streaming. Comcast basic + internet is like only $5 more than internet alone. They give me the hd tuner free until Dec 31, then its $10 per month. I'll look for antennas over the summer...
post #15205 of 15275 Old 03-03-2014, 07:51 AM

Sounds like your cablecard is not correctly paired. Are you using a TiVo or Cable card based system?
post #15206 of 15275 Old 03-14-2014, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Just realized how to save $50/mo.
We have 2 homes w. two Comcast accounts. Our Miami account has an all-inclusive pkg. via the HOA. Even includes HBO and
SHO. All we pay for in addition is internet and for DVR. Actually we have 2 DVRs there but one comes at a greatly reduced rate.
In Oakland, where we are half the time, we had the "digital starter pkg." with a DVR and internet. When some "special" we were on expired, rate went up from $110 to $131 called in to see if we could get another special here in Okld. We had done this in the past.
No go, this time.
It then occurred to me that w. Infinity tv go, we could get almost all the programs I or wife watches. Like AMC shows, BBC World News etc. Already had watched True Detective via HBO2go.
I just logged in to Miami Comcast account using my Chrome browser on laptop. Brought up the last episode of Walking Dead (as a test) and hit the Chromecast icon on the screen and - there it was "casting" on our Panny 60ST60 plasma. We will now be paying $79/mo. Not sure how that breaks down. Will report back later. Of course won't get the quality of regular Comcast viewing - but the test seemed very acceptable. HBO2go does give excellent quality via Chromecast.

Follow up:

======
Here is our new estimated bill just in from Comcast. We lost a couple of channels we watch like AMC and MSNBC. A quick check indicates we lost sports channels like ESPN.
HOWEVER - We'll be able to watch them, because, after we made the cut yesterday - discovered we can watch MSNBC, various ESPN channels and some others "LIVE" by logging in to our account in our other home where the bundle (included in HOA dues) includes almost everything. Even can watch HBO and SHO. Making use of the "xfinitytvgo" feature via computer or phone or tablet we can (at least fm. laptop) make use of Chromecast and cast all those channels to our big plasma here in Okld. We are in Oakland about 50-60% of the time.
This is called "Blast Plus" as shown below. Our internet speed used to be about 15/20 down, 5 up. Now it is 50 down and 10 up.
=====
Your Order Summary
For self install kit orders, an additional email will be sent when your equipment ships.

Xfinity Bundled Services

Blast Plus
$79.95/mo.

Xfinity TV

HD/DVR Service (INCLUDES
$17.95/mo.

Digital Adapter
$1.99/mo.

Xfinity Internet

Docsis 3 Owned MDM
$0.00/mo.

Partial Monthly Charges and Credits
03/11-04/10
Blast Plus
$76.34/mo.
03/11-04/10
Starter/HSI
$-99.99/mo.

Monthly Package, Service and Equipment Fees $76.24
Taxes, Surcharges and Fees $3.05

Estimated Total $79.29
post #15207 of 15275 Old 03-21-2014, 01:41 AM

Noticed that the half-hourly blackout to "Service Interrupted" screen has recently been reduced to a second-long stutter.

Progress, I guess!
post #15208 of 15275 Old 03-28-2014, 08:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 386
I guess Comcast is sticking with their ugly, crappy looking SD quality baseball broadcasts again this year on their local RSNs. The quality difference between the Angels/Dodgers game on MLB Network(SportsNetLA feed) and the Athletics/Giants broadcast on CSN is really striking, Comcast simply doesn't care how bad their product looks as it's been years now and nothing has changed. I feel bad for Giants fans that have to put up such crappy quality.
post #15209 of 15275 Old 03-29-2014, 08:45 AM

I seldom watch baseball as it tends to put me to sleep, but agree with you, sports NEEDS to be in high quality high defination. Football is my passion and occasionally there will be a game which is of really bad quality and very hard to watch.
I'm not sure if the problem you see is the fault of Comcast or of CSN. I always suspect that the source, CSN in this case, is at fault but one can never be sure.

Brian...reporting from the left coast...
post #15210 of 15275 Old 03-29-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandude View Post

I seldom watch baseball as it tends to put me to sleep, but agree with you, sports NEEDS to be in high quality high defination. Football is my passion and occasionally there will be a game which is of really bad quality and very hard to watch.
I'm not sure if the problem you see is the fault of Comcast or of CSN. I always suspect that the source, CSN in this case, is at fault but one can never be sure.
It's the source, the signal that Comcast Sports Net is creating/sending to the Comcast cable system. It looks bad even on DIRECTV which has generally better picture quality than Comcast cable overall. It appears to suffer from too much compression, lots of video noise in the image.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page