San Francisco, CA - Comcast - Page 510 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-14-2014, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Angry No more AXSTV on Comcast?

I got a message on my Tivo this morning that AXSTV has been deleted by Comcast. Anyone know anything about this?

I'm in Santa Rosa.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2014, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdguyjt View Post
I got a message on my Tivo this morning that AXSTV has been deleted by Comcast. Anyone know anything about this?

I'm in Santa Rosa.
I got the same yesterday on my TiVo in San Francisco. The programming info has been replaced with Bloomberg TV (moved from 763), but channel 764 still has the AXS content. Disney XD info has moved from 765 to 763. The channels themself are still as they were (763=Bloomberg, 764=AXS, 765=DisneyXD). The Comcast website does not list either one of those three stations in their lineup info. The Comcast set top box is still listing the info in the old locations, matching the channels.

Not sure what is going on, since Comcast just announced they will bring the UK version of the X-Factor to AXS. Strange promotion.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabaeus View Post
I got the same yesterday on my TiVo in San Francisco. The programming info has been replaced with Bloomberg TV (moved from 763), but channel 764 still has the AXS content. Disney XD info has moved from 765 to 763. The channels themself are still as they were (763=Bloomberg, 764=AXS, 765=DisneyXD). The Comcast website does not list either one of those three stations in their lineup info. The Comcast set top box is still listing the info in the old locations, matching the channels.

Not sure what is going on, since Comcast just announced they will bring the UK version of the X-Factor to AXS. Strange promotion.
I emailed Tivo this morning...I'll post if I get any response.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdguyjt View Post
I emailed Tivo this morning...I'll post if I get any response.
Thank you, seems to have worked. The change was reversed last night on my TiVo. Must have been a mistake.

I had also alerted AXS to the problem, though their web interface does not allow to specify any details about the issue.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabaeus View Post
Thank you, seems to have worked. The change was reversed last night on my TiVo. Must have been a mistake.

I had also alerted AXS to the problem, though their web interface does not allow to specify any details about the issue.
Yup. Mine's all good too!
Old 09-01-2014, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Well, I'm a little slow on the uptake. I just noticed that Comcast has been billing me for two DTAs for the past few months. I keep meaning to set up my old TV in my office and use one of them there, so I guess I should return one and keep paying for the other? Or maybe I'll just go OTA in the office. It's been months since I got a new TV, and I still haven't set up the old one.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintertime View Post
Well, I'm a little slow on the uptake. I just noticed that Comcast has been billing me for two DTAs for the past few months. I keep meaning to set up my old TV in my office and use one of them there, so I guess I should return one and keep paying for the other? Or maybe I'll just go OTA in the office. It's been months since I got a new TV, and I still haven't set up the old one.
I vote for take them back and go OTA + streaming. It's what I did to 2nd TV when the DTA charge started. Was amazed by the OTA pics - I am line of sight of Fremont Peak and Mt Toro.

OT - Charter in Gilroy/Watsonville just went all digital. Been darned busy.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:49 AM

Thanks, Barovelli.

I managed to get a few months' credit for the DTAs and was told that the store could maybe give me more, so I'll check on that when I return them.

I also found out that there's a newer DOCSIS 3.0 modem available that I can swap for the one I have. The new one has an internal router. Should I go for that? I'm comfortable administering my old Linksys, such as adding more allowable device addresses when friends come to visit. Have you (or anyone else here) used the router in the Comcast modem, and if so, how do you like it?
Old 09-02-2014, 10:22 AM
c3
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
I also found out that there's a newer DOCSIS 3.0 modem available that I can swap for the one I have.

Why are you renting it? $8/month is too expensive.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:03 PM

Inertia. I've thought about getting my own. Where's a good place to see reviews?
Old 09-02-2014, 02:26 PM
c3
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Inertia. I've thought about getting my own. Where's a good place to see reviews?
Searching for "cable modem" at Amazon would give you the popular ones (Motorola). I have the Zoom 5341J which was recommended by at least a couple of people here. If you have the voice service, then your choices are more limited.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:02 PM

I was thinking more of technical reviews--ones that would compare features of different brands and models. The Comcast rep said they're offering one that's more recent than the one I have now (a Ubee), so I might as well get an up-to-date one while I'm at it.

Any reason I should pay more and get one with a router? I'm happy with my Linksys router.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
I was thinking more of technical reviews--ones that would compare features of different brands and models. The Comcast rep said they're offering one that's more recent than the one I have now (a Ubee), so I might as well get an up-to-date one while I'm at it.

Any reason I should pay more and get one with a router? I'm happy with my Linksys router.
If it works why fix it?

Bobby 

Old 09-02-2014, 05:31 PM

Yes, that's my thinking, but since I've never had an integrated cable modem/router, I wanted to make sure there were no benefits I was overlooking.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:44 PM
c3
AVS Special Member

I prefer separate units. When I change ISP (as backup or longer term), I just change the WAN side of the router, leaving the LAN side untouched. An integrated unit is cleaner with one less power brick, but its router is likely to have less features than a standalone router.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
I also found out that there's a newer DOCSIS 3.0 modem available that I can swap for the one I have. The new one has an internal router. Should I go for that? I'm comfortable administering my old Linksys, such as adding more allowable device addresses when friends come to visit. Have you (or anyone else here) used the router in the Comcast modem, and if so, how do you like it?
I received an email from Comcast about two months ago regarding the new DOCSIS 3.0 modem. I followed the instructions to get one, and it arrived in the mail just a couple of days later.

We installed the new modem in place of the DOCSIS 2 that we had been using. (We only have internet and phone from Comcast. I use Dish and my four sets of OTA antennas for TV. ) We connected our Apple router to the new modem and checked for signals. We now had our usual signal plus there were two new ones. One had a HOME with four numbers ID, and the other was called XfinityWifi, and both were stronger than the signal from our router by a little bit. HOME and XfinityWifi are separate signals transmitted by the Comcast modem. To use the HOME signal, you have to sign in with your Comcast password, but any Comcast customer can use the XfinityWifi signal once you've signed into your own HOME signal. Use of the XfinityWifi signal does not affect your usage speed or data level. It is totally separate from the HOME signal and your own router signal.

I walked around our neighborhood to see if I could find other XfinityWiFis and was surprised to find lots of them! I walked several blocks and never lost the XfinityWifi signal. In places it dropped to one bar, but much of the time I had three or more bars. I now find that when traveling around the city, my phone is connected to XfinityWifi for much of the time now. My Verizon data usage has dropped considerably.

I say go for the change!

Larry

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists: http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html
Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html

Check out photos and info on my antennas: http://www. larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html

Last edited by Larry Kenney; 09-02-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:51 AM
c3
AVS Special Member

Comcast has to pay me to host a public hotspot for the company, not the other way around.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:20 PM

Larry, I wondered whether the built-in router in the new Comcast modems might have something to do with their rollout of Xfinity Wi-Fi, so thanks for verifying that. I've been using that service some in the past couple of months, since of course my iPod touch doesn't have cellular data capability. I do now have an iPad that has a cell SIM, but I've used XWF on it sometimes, too. Alas, I'm not so altruistic as to be willing to get a Comcast router just to help other people. :-) Besides, judging by all the routers I see advertising SSIDs when I check for wireless signals, I think all my neighbors already have Internet connectivity.

So I think I'll stick with my Linksys router and just pick up a cable modem from Best Buy.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 457
I second the Zoom 5341J, it's been working perfectly for me for over two years now. I'm not sure what the Comcast rental rate is, but at $7 per month the Zoom paid for itself in about 11 months.

If you go to the Amazon listing here and then click on where is says 46 new it looks like Amazon will have it back in stock themselves on 9/11 at a great price of $59. It's currently available from a third party seller. You could order it today and lock in that price.

Last edited by Keenan; 09-03-2014 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Larry, I wondered whether the built-in router in the new Comcast modems might have something to do with their rollout of Xfinity Wi-Fi, so thanks for verifying that. I've been using that service some in the past couple of months, since of course my iPod touch doesn't have cellular data capability. I do now have an iPad that has a cell SIM, but I've used XWF on it sometimes, too. Alas, I'm not so altruistic as to be willing to get a Comcast router just to help other people. :-) Besides, judging by all the routers I see advertising SSIDs when I check for wireless signals, I think all my neighbors already have Internet connectivity.

So I think I'll stick with my Linksys router and just pick up a cable modem from Best Buy.
Smart move. I am never impressed by devices that try to be the best of all things at once and often cannot reach that goal.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Question Need Comcast TV Advice

I live in a condo in San Jose, CA. I've had Directv for many years. I've been generally satisfied with Directv. I am not under contract with Directv so I can switch providers anytime. I am thinking I might switch to Comcast TV to get access to local OTA subchannels such as Antenna TV, MeTV, Cozi TV, as well as the PAC12 TV network. I have Wiline internet with excellent price/performance as well as Wiline landline phone support, so I plan to keep both. I know Comcast gives the best deals on bundles but I am only interested in Comcast TV. I am willing to do a two year contract with Comcast if that gets me a better deal.

I have two old Directv HR20-700 HD DVRs, one in the LR and one in the MBR which I have networked together on my home LAN . I can watch recorded shows from either DVR irrespective of which DVR the show was recorded on. I can only record on the DVR in the room I happen to be watching TV. For example, if I am in the LR, I can setup a recording on the LR DVR but not on the MBR DVR. I have to be in the MBR if I want to setup a recording on the MBR DVR. Not a big deal though. The playback capability is important to me so I need a Comcast or Tivo HD DVR that provides similar capability.

I would like recommendations on which Comcast or Tivo HD DVR and which Comcast TV package I should consider.

TIA

avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet

How to Create a Dolby Atmos Demo Disc (post #15199)

I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me.

Last edited by kokishin; 09-06-2014 at 02:19 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
I live in a condo in San Jose, CA. I've had Directv for many years. I've been generally satisfied with Directv. I am not under contract with Directv so I can switch providers anytime. I am thinking I might switch to Comcast TV to get access to local OTA subchannels such as Antenna TV, MeTV, Cozi TV, as well as the PAC12 TV network. I have Wiline internet with excellent price/performance as well as Wiline landline phone support, so I plan to keep both. I know Comcast gives the best deals on bundles but I am only interested in Comcast TV. I am willing to do a two year contract with Comcast if that gets me a better deal.

I have two old Directv HR20-700 HD DVRs, one in the LR and one in the MBR which I have networked together on my home LAN . I can watch recorded shows from either DVR irrespective of which DVR the show was recorded on. I can only record on the DVR in the room I happen to be watching TV. For example, if I am in the LR, I can setup a recording on the LR DVR but not on the MBR DVR. I have to be in the MBR if I want to setup a recording on the MBR DVR. Not a big deal though. The playback capability is important to me so I need a Comcast or Tivo HD DVR that provides similar capability.

I would like recommendations on which Comcast or Tivo HD DVR and which Comcast TV package I should consider.

TIA
Please?

Old 09-08-2014, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I switched from D* to Comcast exactly a year ago. Got a Double Play, TV and Internet package.

I followed the X1 DVR for awhile but didn't go for it. Instead I got a Tivo Roamio and Tivo Mini package, both with lifetime subscriptions. It was a $1200 outlay but I'd be saving that much over a 2 year contract for the Double Play deal.

Much happier with it. Much faster Internet (I had U Verse) and I get more premium channels plus Red Zone.

I had first asked Direct TV for their total home DVR setup but what they were offering me wasn't anything for a customer who had been with them over 10 years. Instead they were giving all these package deals to new subscribers and others who usually had Sunday Ticket.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
I switched from D* to Comcast exactly a year ago. Got a Double Play, TV and Internet package.

I followed the X1 DVR for awhile but didn't go for it. Instead I got a Tivo Roamio and Tivo Mini package, both with lifetime subscriptions. It was a $1200 outlay but I'd be saving that much over a 2 year contract for the Double Play deal.

Much happier with it. Much faster Internet (I had U Verse) and I get more premium channels plus Red Zone.

I had first asked Direct TV for their total home DVR setup but what they were offering me wasn't anything for a customer who had been with them over 10 years. Instead they were giving all these package deals to new subscribers and others who usually had Sunday Ticket.
Thanks for your reply.

Which Roamio did you buy?

Was a big chunk of the $1200 the Tivo lifetime subscription?

What part of the country are you located?

Are you concerned that Comcast is migrating to Mpeg-4?

Thanks again.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes a lot of it was the Lifetime subscriptions.

I got the middle model, with 1 TB disk. So far only 80% full and I got a eSATA dock to add 2 TB more if needed.

I'm in Cupertino. Hadn't heard about MPEG4 but they're not going to instantly drop support for all the set top boxes out there.

When my contract is up, either they keep the same price or I shop D* again.

AT&T Giga is supposedly coming to Cupertino and possibly Google Fiber.

If I can't get a good TV package price then, maybe I start investigating cutting the cord.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:

I got the middle model, with 1 TB disk. So far only 80% full and I got a eSATA dock to add 2 TB more if needed.

I'm in Cupertino. Hadn't heard about MPEG4 but they're not going to instantly drop support for all the set top boxes out there.

If I can't get a good TV package price then, maybe I start investigating cutting the cord.
Comcast has started an MPEG4 transition in a Georgia market, and apparently Roamios are already MPEG4-capable, earlier models are not.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

wco81,

I like Cupertino and I am there a lot.

I guess it doesn't hurt to have Apple HQ in Cupertino with all the high tech employees to attract AT&T and Google to lay fiber.

Do you have any complaints or issues with Comcast (e.g., pic/ audio quality, interruptions, customer service, etc) or your Tivos?

Really appreciate your help!

Old 09-08-2014, 09:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Comcast has started an MPEG4 transition in a Georgia market, and apparently Roamios are already MPEG4-capable, earlier models are not.
Good to know!

Thanks

Old 09-08-2014, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

There have been a couple of outages in the past year, mainly on the data side. Maybe the longest one was an hour or two.

Otherwise, speed is much greater, now by a factor of 10 on the download, than Uverse that I had.

Rico is good for the most part but th Mini in my bedroom freezes on live TV periodically, requiring reboots that take several minutes. Sometimes several reboots. It's a widely reported problem at tivo community.com.

Otherwise having 6 tuners is great and I use the streaming to the iPad often.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:44 AM
c3
AVS Special Member

Try this TiVo: http://www.cnet.com/products/tivo-mega/

I moved from two TiVo HDs (nearly rock solid) to a single Roamio Plus upgraded to 3TB. The current Roamio software is much more stable than the last couple of versions.