San Francisco, CA - Comcast - Page 519 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

post #15541 of 15561 Old 12-06-2015, 11:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Saw the below Comcast Forum post linked to at DSL Reports,

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity...650965#M138185
Quote:
said by ComcastJenn :
Bay Area customers are going to be notified starting 12/14, so channel 1995 won’t be available until then and it won’t work for Tivo devices.
I hope she meant: it won’t work for ALL Tivo devices.

I have a Roamio Pro and it's supposed to work with mpeg4.

My signature:
Link: avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet

I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15542 of 15561 Old 12-07-2015, 12:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked: 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
I hope she meant: it won’t work for ALL Tivo devices.

I have a Roamio Pro and it's supposed to work with mpeg4.
I think that's what it means, that Ch 1995 won't show up on a TiVo at all. If you have a Roamio Pro you're fine as it is MPEG4 capable.
post #15543 of 15561 Old 12-13-2015, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, is there anyone on this thread that is in San Carlos, CA and successfully using an HDHomeRun Prime with CableCard? I've been trying to get it working for over two months without success, apparently a problem with the VCTID or channel table. Up to Tier III Comcast support and still no resolution. If anyone is using this device in San Carlos, can you tell me your VCTID? Thanks!

EDIT: Apparently, Tivo devices need this VCTID also. So if anyone has a Tivo with CableCard in San Carlos and can tell me their VCTID, that would be great! Thanks.

Last edited by clads01; 12-14-2015 at 10:59 AM.
post #15544 of 15561 Old 12-22-2015, 11:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by clads01 View Post
Hi, is there anyone on this thread that is in San Carlos, CA and successfully using an HDHomeRun Prime with CableCard? I've been trying to get it working for over two months without success, apparently a problem with the VCTID or channel table. Up to Tier III Comcast support and still no resolution. If anyone is using this device in San Carlos, can you tell me your VCTID? Thanks!

EDIT: Apparently, Tivo devices need this VCTID also. So if anyone has a Tivo with CableCard in San Carlos and can tell me their VCTID, that would be great! Thanks.
Have you tried the Silicon Dust forum to see if they can help you? There's some pretty sharp people over there.
post #15545 of 15561 Old 12-22-2015, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
It may mean the SF Bay area. For the past month or more contractors have had trucks out in Cupertino, pulling Fiber into the local equipment boxes. This appears to be more than the main trunk as they are pulling fiber into the larger equipment boxes in our neighborhood. When I asked the workers what was going on, all they knew was that they were pulling fiber for Comcast. I don't know what if they plan to also run the fiber to the home, or not. We also received notice from Comcast that our service might be interrupted while this work is ongoing. So far though, we have not seen any disruption.

Greg
post #15546 of 15561 Old 12-22-2015, 05:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Got an email from TiVo today that Comcast will be starting their MPEG2>MPEG4 rollout very soon. I'm guessing within the next few months.
post #15547 of 15561 Old 12-23-2015, 01:00 AM
abg

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi-

I received a letter from Comcast saying that I needed to go to channel 1995 on my set top box to see if the set top box needed replacement. There, the verdict was that my ancient Motorola DVR needs replacement before 2/11/2016. My only options are an appointment, self-install kit or do a swap at an Xfinity store. I opted for the self-install kit. Does anyone have any idea as to what equipment they plan to send as a replacement? Will it even be a DVR? I presume that this has something to do with the aforementioned MPEG2->MPEG4 rollout.
post #15548 of 15561 Old 12-23-2015, 11:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by abg View Post
Hi-

I received a letter from Comcast saying that I needed to go to channel 1995 on my set top box to see if the set top box needed replacement. There, the verdict was that my ancient Motorola DVR needs replacement before 2/11/2016. My only options are an appointment, self-install kit or do a swap at an Xfinity store. I opted for the self-install kit. Does anyone have any idea as to what equipment they plan to send as a replacement? Will it even be a DVR? I presume that this has something to do with the aforementioned MPEG2->MPEG4 rollout.
Yes, it is about the MPEG4 conversion and older euqipment may not be MPEG4 capable. If you have a DVR now they will probably send you a Moto DCX3400(?) which I think is a 2 tuner model? They also have the X1 model which has 5(6?) tuners though I'm not sure if there's any special conditions that need to be met for them to install that model.

For TiVo, any model earlier than a Series 4(Premiere) will be incompatible with the new MPEG4 channels. I believe the Series 3 and earlier models will still be capable of receiving the remaining MPEG2 local broadcast channels as those are staying at MPEG2 for now, at least, they were the last time I read about it.
post #15549 of 15561 Old 12-23-2015, 06:45 PM
abg

Quote:
Yes, it is about the MPEG4 conversion and older euqipment may not be MPEG4 capable. If you have a DVR now they will probably send you a Moto DCX3400(?) which I think is a 2 tuner model? They also have the X1 model which has 5(6?) tuners though I'm not sure if there's any special conditions that need to be met for them to install that model.

For TiVo, any model earlier than a Series 4(Premiere) will be incompatible with the new MPEG4 channels. I believe the Series 3 and earlier models will still be capable of receiving the remaining MPEG2 local broadcast channels as those are staying at MPEG2 for now, at least, they were the last time I read about it.
Thanks. I called this morning and was told that they're sending an X1 unit. The only person I know personally who has one says that he has to power cycle it every other day to reset it and even had to install an outlet strip with a switch in order to accomplish this on a regular basis. Gotta love technology!
post #15550 of 15561 Old 12-23-2015, 06:46 PM
abg

Quote:

Thanks. I called this morning and was told that they're sending an X1 unit. The only person I know personally who has one says that he has to power cycle it every other day to reset it and even had to install an outlet strip with a switch in order to accomplish this on a regular basis. Gotta love technology!
post #15551 of 15561 Old 12-24-2015, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
I have an X1 unit and it's never needed a power reset. Now if Comcast could fix the audio dropouts on music channels and on demand I'd be a happy camper.
post #15552 of 15561 Old 12-24-2015, 12:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8der View Post
I have an X1 unit and it's never needed a power reset. Now if Comcast could fix the audio dropouts on music channels and on demand I'd be a happy camper.
Wow, it's been a long time since I've seen that name around here, welcome back R8der!
post #15553 of 15561 Old 12-24-2015, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Wow, it's been a long time since I've seen that name around here, welcome back R8der!
Thanks Keenan! I got involved in wine years ago and spent all my free time on that. I only recently started getting back into Home Theater and figured to see what was happening on the HD forums!
Keenan likes this.
post #15554 of 15561 Old 12-24-2015, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
The only person I know personally who has one says that he has to power cycle it every other day to reset it and even had to install an outlet strip with a switch in order to accomplish this on a regular basis. Gotta love technology!
I'll donate my DCT power cord that has an inline switch if you could use it. Was such a useful item I was thinking about making more and selling them online.

Haven't needed it since replacing the Comcast DVR with a Tivo.
post #15555 of 15561 Old 12-25-2015, 12:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
On Monday, I got the snail mail notification to replace my cable box (Moto DCH3200) so I placed an order that night through Channel 1995. A Pace RNG110 arrived today (Thursday) via UPS. It came with labels to ship back the old box, but I'll probably just drop it off at the local office.
post #15556 of 15561 Old 12-25-2015, 12:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Hmm, I tune into 1995 on my Tivo and all I see is a black screen with 3 white dots in the middle pulsing in sequence, as if loading something.
post #15557 of 15561 Old 12-27-2015, 04:37 PM
abg

Quote:
So, on the 24th I received the new unit, an Arris Model AX013ANM. Got around to setting it up today.

First impressions:
I am really, really impressed. Setup was trivially simple and the end result was the the remote is controlling both my old (2004) Denon AV Receiver as well as the more current (2015) Samsung TV. The unit itself is smaller, lighter and silent as compared to the old unit (DCT3412).

Only downsides so far:

1. No component output. I always liked having that as a backstop as we've often had signal quality issues and HDMI/HDCP will frequently interpret that as an attempt to steal signal and cut off the connection. My eyes can't see the difference between Component and HDMI so I never minded using component.

2. No remote buttons that are obviously NOT used by the system. Not sure where I'll program in my 30 sec skip feature

Still, at first glance, this new system is a winner and I look forward to using it. I hope the first impression lasts.
post #15558 of 15561 Old 12-30-2015, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Have you tried the Silicon Dust forum to see if they can help you? There's some pretty sharp people over there.
Thanks, Keenan. I did try with SiliconDust and they said the issue is that Comcast needs to configure the CableCard with the correct hub or headend setting so that it can get the right channel table (i.e., be told which channels it is allowed to tune in). Comcast knows that this is the issue but cannot fix it. I was thinking if I can find someone who has a working VCTID in my neighborhood, I can have them set it to the same value and see if that works.
post #15559 of 15561 Old 12-30-2015, 02:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by clads01 View Post
Thanks, Keenan. I did try with SiliconDust and they said the issue is that Comcast needs to configure the CableCard with the correct hub or headend setting so that it can get the right channel table (i.e., be told which channels it is allowed to tune in). Comcast knows that this is the issue but cannot fix it. I was thinking if I can find someone who has a working VCTID in my neighborhood, I can have them set it to the same value and see if that works.
You might try the CableCARD activation number, 1-877-405-2298. It's been awhile since I've used it but it bypasses all the lower level support and gets you right to someone who can actually make things happen with a CableCARD problem.
post #15560 of 15561 Old 01-01-2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
You might try the CableCARD activation number, 1-877-405-2298. It's been awhile since I've used it but it bypasses all the lower level support and gets you right to someone who can actually make things happen with a CableCARD problem.
I'm actually already up to Tier III support with Comcast. They still can't fix it. I'll probably just go the OTA route but unfortunately can't tune in CBS and PBS from our new house -- hills seem to be in the way.
post #15561 of 15561 Old 01-16-2016, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I received a letter from Comcast saying that I needed to go to channel 1995 on my set top box to see if the set top box needed replacement. There, the verdict was that my ancient Motorola DVR needs replacement before 2/11/2016.
I presume that this has something to do with the aforementioned MPEG2->MPEG4 rollout.
I haven't received any letter. I only found out about the MPEG2 to 4 switchover by accident elsewhere (I think TiVocommunity).

And, channel 1995 doesn't work for me. It looks like that'll be all moot for me now.
Quote:
Yeah, only Premiere and later are MPEG4 compatible. I sold off my Series 3 units awhile back.
FWIW, I stumbled across good news today for those w/TiVO HDs (but not the older Series 3).

Per https://support.tivo.com/articles/Fe...Select-Markets

"TiVo HD and TiVo HD XL:
TiVo has implemented a software update which will bring MPEG-4 capability to TiVo HD DVRs. Active HD/HDXL customers can expect this update sometime during the week of 1/17/16."

(I'm in the above bucket, so yay!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Hmm, I tune into 1995 on my Tivo and all I see is a black screen with 3 white dots in the middle pulsing in sequence, as if loading something.
Yes. That's what still happens today for me, w/my TiVo HD.
Quote:
Got an email from TiVo today that Comcast will be starting their MPEG2>MPEG4 rollout very soon. I'm guessing within the next few months.
From the horse's mouth at http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity...651615#M138238 posted by ComcastJenn, an official employee
Quote:
Bay Area customers are going to be notified starting 12/14, so channel 1995 won’t be available until then and it won’t work for Tivo devices. Check with Tivo about your device- the CableCard we gave you is MPEG4 capable, but the device it is in may not be (for example- Series 3 won’t work with MEPG4). Tivo should be contacting you about it as well and you'll get a letter from us soon!

MPEG4 migrations are scheduled to start in Bay in February 2016 and will finish up in April 2016 (These dates are scheduled to change!), but the good news is you still have time.

If you have other devices in your home besides Tivo wait until you get a letter from us to check Channel 1995 and it will tell you if you need to swap anything other devices. You can order right from your TV once it's available if you need to swap.

Thanks for reaching out!

Last edited by cwerdna; 01-16-2016 at 07:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page