San Francisco, CA - Comcast - Page 522 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

post #15631 of 15660 Old 08-06-2016, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
They have premium channels, the below link is for Kansas City,

https://fiber.google.com/cities/kansascity/plans/
Do they use DOCSIS modems or support CableCard?

By the time they roll it out to the Bay Area, if they ever roll it out, people would want 4K DVRs.

But getting away from Comcast and AT&T would be a huge win.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15632 of 15660 Old 08-08-2016, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Anyone notice an increase in fees the last couple of months?

My bill went up by about $4 and looking at the details, I see the Broadcast Fee and Regional Sports Fee are higher.

Broadcast Fee went from $3.25 in my June bill to $5.00 in my July bill.

Regional Sports Fee went from $1 in June to $3 in July.

Then a bit higher taxes for the higher fees.
Thanks for posting this. I just switched over from Directv with a roamio tivo on the $44.99 digital starter package and I was surprised how the taxes and fees add up. My first bill comes to $73.74.

Has anyone been able to get out of paying $14.99 for a self install kit? I never got a kit. I ordered online and then went to the Comcast store and she gave me a cable card. I asked if there was a kit or anything else and I was told no.

Also, are people still getting a $2.50 credit for bringing your own hardware?

Other then that, so far, so good. Loving the tivo and mini setup so far.
post #15633 of 15660 Old 08-09-2016, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
Actually, there have been ongoing issues with the X1 system in Vallejo that increased after a full morning outage a couple of weeks ago. I've been getting intermittent audio dropouts of 1 -3 seconds along with infrequent video glitches. Two Xfinity techs came out last week and everything in the house checked out. Signal and SNL numbers looked good as did the moca levels between all of my devices (one XG1 DVR, one XG2 4 tuner satellite box and two XID satellite boxes. One of the techs lives in my area and said that he was getting the same audio drops and that it appeared to be more of a system wide issue made worse by the recent outage. I'm still getting the dropouts so I may have to make another call to support.
I am getting the exact same symptoms in central Contra Costa County. I don't recall a full morning outage, but then I don't watch morning TV.

Is there a Comcast case number I could inquire about and maybe add my name to the list?
post #15634 of 15660 Old 08-09-2016, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post
I am getting the exact same symptoms in central Contra Costa County. I don't recall a full morning outage, but then I don't watch morning TV.

Is there a Comcast case number I could inquire about and maybe add my name to the list?
Not that I'm aware of but my advice is to call support and complain, making it clear that other customers have been told that this is a system, not a customer residence issue. I'm going to call again tomorrow to ask a bit more sharply when this is going to be resolved. This has been going on for at least a month and it's not acceptable.
post #15635 of 15660 Old 08-09-2016, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
They have premium channels, the below link is for Kansas City,

https://fiber.google.com/cities/kansascity/plans/
That seems to give every cable channel that exist AND gives you 1000Mbps internet. (Altho it would seem anything over 100 is superfluous.) All for $130 plus tax. Premium channels available. I'd sign up!!

I would have hoped, tho, they didn't make you subscribe to all or nothing.

Last edited by snidely; 08-09-2016 at 06:40 PM.
post #15636 of 15660 Old 08-09-2016, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 254
It's to bad google seems to be giving up on fiber, now they want to do wireless again right before they start deploying to San Jose.
post #15637 of 15660 Old 08-10-2016, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by brimorga View Post
Thanks for posting this. I just switched over from Directv with a roamio tivo on the $44.99 digital starter package and I was surprised how the taxes and fees add up. My first bill comes to $73.74.

Has anyone been able to get out of paying $14.99 for a self install kit? I never got a kit. I ordered online and then went to the Comcast store and she gave me a cable card. I asked if there was a kit or anything else and I was told no.

Also, are people still getting a $2.50 credit for bringing your own hardware?

Other then that, so far, so good. Loving the tivo and mini setup so far.
Just to update my own questions.

I was able to get the self install kit fee waived since I went into the Comcast office to pick up my cable card. At first I was told it was a shipping fee, but nothing was shipped. Then I was told that since I didn't get a STB, they can waive the fee.

I was also able to get a $2.50 per month credit applied for providing my own hardware and not using a Comcast STB.

Good news for anyone else signing up for service with a tivo.
post #15638 of 15660 Old 08-10-2016, 12:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1912 Post(s)
Liked: 1596
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
That seems to give every cable channel that exist AND gives you 1000Mbps internet. (Altho it would seem anything over 100 is superfluous.) All for $130 plus tax. Premium channels available. I'd sign up!!

I would have hoped, tho, they didn't make you subscribe to all or nothing.
I'm not sure if you have to subscribe to both Internet and TV or not. It seems to me there were options mentioned when they were first rolling it out in Kansas City, I seem to recall a $70 and a $130 amount, presumably the first being just Internet and the second being both services.

Prices for Atlanta,

Hello, Atlanta
Fiber Internet + TV has arrived

Gigabit Internet and TV - $130
Gigabit Internet - $70
Symmetrical 100Mbps - $50

Last edited by Keenan; 08-10-2016 at 01:50 PM.
post #15639 of 15660 Old 08-10-2016, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

What I meant was, they make you subscribe to well over 100 TV channels. No "basic" TV packages. You can of course just subscribe to the Internet. If you did that, I suppose you could then subscribe to something like Roku to get some channels.
Keenan likes this.
post #15640 of 15660 Old 08-10-2016, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

If they include all the premiums for $130, that's a good deal.

But what kind of set tops or DVRs would you use? Do they have on demand content or even the rights to stream the shows from those channels?

And can they beam TV channels through the wireless connections they're supposedly contemplating in San Jose while delivering the same data bandwidth?

Hell with 1 Gbps bandwidth, they could put together and OTT package.
post #15641 of 15660 Old 08-13-2016, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Does not include premiiums
post #15642 of 15660 Old 08-13-2016, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Ah I figured it was too good to be true.

I pay $160 for Triple Play with all the premiums.

Of course I'm not getting 1 Gbps and I still have to deal with Comcast.

Beyond the channel selection, I'd want to know about on demand and streaming rights to all the channels.
post #15643 of 15660 Old 08-14-2016, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Not that I'm aware of but my advice is to call support and complain, making it clear that other customers have been told that this is a system, not a customer residence issue. I'm going to call again tomorrow to ask a bit more sharply when this is going to be resolved. This has been going on for at least a month and it's not acceptable.
Did you get anywhere by calling?

The dropout problem is being discussed on the Comcast forum. You can add yourself to this thread, if you haven't already. Comcast seems to think it's a firmware issue.
post #15644 of 15660 Old 08-14-2016, 12:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post
Did you get anywhere by calling?

The dropout problem is being discussed on the Comcast forum. You can add yourself to this thread, if you haven't already. Comcast seems to think it's a firmware issue.
If you rewind and play back the segment that had the dropout does it repeat? If you try it a few times does it repeat exactly as it did the first time? Or does it disappear if you try rewinding a few times? I ask as this sounds similar to an audio problem that some of us have been having with our TiVo's, you'll get a dropout(no video issue) and upon replaying the segment back, sometimes the dropout disappears. It's something that TiVo hasn't been able to solve for going on over 6 mos now.

Last edited by Keenan; 08-14-2016 at 01:39 PM.
post #15645 of 15660 Old 08-14-2016, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If you rewind and play back the segment that had the dropout does it repeat?
Yes. The dropout is recorded on the Comcast DVR.
Quote:
If you try it a few times does it repeat exactly as it did the first time? Or does it disappear if you try rewinding a few times? I ask as this sounds similar to an audio problem that some of us have been having with our TiVo's, you'll get a dropout(no video issue) and upon replaying the segment back, sometimes a few times, the dropout disappears. It's something that TiVo hasn't been able to solve for going on over 6 mos now.
I'll have to get back to you on that. It never occurred to me to rewind more than once.
Keenan likes this.
post #15646 of 15660 Old 08-14-2016, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes the glitches do show when I rewind the buffered recording. I did call again last week and the CSR told me that a number of homes in my immediate area were showing signal strength readings in the yellow, bordering on red. My readings were OK. He said that the node serving our area was showing a "plant failure" and that his board was also showing some degree out of outage in the SF Bay area. He further said that there were a number of similar complaints from my area. No ETA on a resolution and the audio dropouts and video glitches are still occurring.

We just had a brief internet and partial X1 outage. It's OK now but who knows about 20 minutes from now.

Last edited by Cal1981; 08-14-2016 at 10:05 PM.
post #15647 of 15660 Old 08-15-2016, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
We just had a brief internet and partial X1 outage. It's OK now but who knows about 20 minutes from now.
So far I haven't noticed any problems with my Comcast feed here in San Francisco -- X1 TV or internet.

Larry

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists: http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html
Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html
Live reception scans from my HD Home Run receivers: http://www.larrykenney.com/hdhr/
Photos and info on my antennas: http://www.larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html
post #15648 of 15660 Old 08-15-2016, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney View Post
So far I haven't noticed any problems with my Comcast feed here in San Francisco -- X1 TV or internet.

Larry
I'm not surprised Larry. A lot of these problems are probably node specific. I wish that we had a topography map of Comcast's network in the bay area so that we could see its nodes and the areas that they serve. It would be nice to know where the problems are. Ain't never gonna happen of course.
post #15649 of 15660 Old 08-15-2016, 12:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Yes the glitches do show when I rewind the buffered recording. I did call again last week and the CSR told me that a number of homes in my immediate area were showing signal strength readings in the yellow, bordering on red. My readings were OK. He said that the node serving our area was showing a "plant failure" and that his board was also showing some degree out of outage in the SF Bay area. He further said that there were a number of similar complaints from my area. No ETA on a resolution and the audio dropouts and video glitches are still occurring.

Thanks for the feedback.

The below linked post describes elements of what I'm seeing,

Re: X1 Audio Dropouts (again)

I also have dropouts that are "permanent", it's there no matter how many times I rewind the section but those I have to assume are just a bad signal. It's those dropouts that can be "fixed" by rewinding that are the really confusing ones.
post #15650 of 15660 Old 08-15-2016, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback.

The below linked post describes elements of what I'm seeing,

Re: X1 Audio Dropouts (again)

I also have dropouts that are "permanent", it's there no matter how many times I rewind the section but those I have to assume are just a bad signal. It's those dropouts that can be "fixed" by rewinding that are the really confusing ones.
That thread pretty much says it all although there is too much emphasis on the DVRs. Too many customers are experiencing this for it not to be a system issue up the line from the head ends. This is clearly a significant problem that has existed for some time that Comcast hasn't been able to resolve. After my last call they gave me a $20 credit on my bill. Maybe if customers who call in demand billing credits, the company will have some incentive to solve this. I'd been pretty happy with X1 until this issue arose.
Keenan likes this.

Last edited by Cal1981; 08-15-2016 at 02:00 PM.
post #15651 of 15660 Old 08-16-2016, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What are the current best deals for Comcast?
Last year I cancelled my Triple Pay package, paying over $250/month, and kept only Internet. After that they of course offered me "free" basic TV, Internet, plus HBO for ~$65/month in a 12 month contract. I agreed immediately.

But the 12 months are over. So I want to know that are my options right now.

I would go back to Internet only without issue if they don't at least match the current price.

Also, what's the cheapest price for HD?
post #15652 of 15660 Old 08-19-2016, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

The audio dropouts are getting to be more frequent and of longer duration. This is not acceptable. Again everyone should be calling Comcast to complain and demand a billing credit every month if need be. Maybe if a lot of bills get reduced, the company will actually do its damn job and fix this problem.
post #15653 of 15660 Old 08-19-2016, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

What is the major recent change, the MPEG4 rollout? Maybe the dropouts are related to that.
post #15654 of 15660 Old 08-19-2016, 12:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
What is the major recent change, the MPEG4 rollout? Maybe the dropouts are related to that.
The dropouts have been happening long before that, at least on TiVo units they have, I can't really say how long it's been with Comcast equipment.
post #15655 of 15660 Old 08-19-2016, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

After looking at the Xfinity forum posts, I checked and all of my boxes (an XG1, an XG2 and two XID units) are showing the 2.4 firmware. I never thought that this was really the problem. Can anyone confirm that the SF Bay Area has gone to MPEG4? If so , I haven't noticed any significant upgrade in PQ. The HBO and Showtime steaming channels on my Roku are still better. Could the decreased bandwidth of MPEG4 mean that Comcast might actually add some more HD channels? Its lineup has been pretty much stagnant for several years now.
post #15656 of 15660 Old 08-19-2016, 05:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
After looking at the Xfinity forum posts, I checked and all of my boxes (an XG1, an XG2 and two XID units) are showing the 2.4 firmware. I never thought that this was really the problem. Can anyone confirm that the SF Bay Area has gone to MPEG4? If so , I haven't noticed any significant upgrade in PQ. The HBO and Showtime steaming channels on my Roku are still better. Could the decreased bandwidth of MPEG4 mean that Comcast might actually add some more HD channels? Its lineup has been pretty much stagnant for several years now.
Here in Santa Rosa there's been about 7 channels that have been converted and it's been weeks since that was done. Starz has been converted to MPEG4 but has retained its 1080i resolution instead of been down-rezzed to 720p like the others.

823 PAC12 is now 720p but should be 1080i
820 Own is now 720p but should be 1080i
775 WGN is now 720p but should be 1080i

There are also 3 Latino channels but I don't subscribe to them so I don't know what resolution they have.

678 EDEPHD
679 FXDEHD
680 UNVSOHD

Those are the only channels that have been converted up here. I don't know about any other premium channels as I'm currently not subscribed to them.

Last edited by Keenan; 08-19-2016 at 05:09 PM.
post #15657 of 15660 Old 08-22-2016, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I've noticed far fewer audio dropouts or video glitches over the past few days. On Saturday, from the Xfinity menu, I did a restart on all of my X1 devices, one by one. I don't know if that had any impact on the problem though. What about the rest of you?

Let me amend this. I don't think that I'm hearing any audio dropouts now. Hopefully this is the end of them.

Tuesday 8/23: Three days with no problems. Somebody fixed something.

Last edited by Cal1981; 08-23-2016 at 12:48 PM.
post #15658 of 15660 Old 08-23-2016, 03:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

I haven't really spent any time watching Comcast TV lately so I can't say if the issue is better or worse. Maybe later this week.
post #15659 of 15660 Old Yesterday, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I didn't want to say anything for fear of jinxing it. I do think I'm hearing fewer audio dropouts. And the ones that I do hear are no longer accompanied by sparkly pixels in the video.

I did mention to Eric G. on the Comcast forums that TiVo users were hearing the dropouts. I think that may have been the crucial data point that steered him away from his focus on the X1 firmware.
post #15660 of 15660 Old Today, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Have any of you watched the latest episode of Mr. Robot? I was able to capture an A/V dropout around the 58-minute mark.

Here's a link to the .MOV file captured on my iPad. Turn up the volume so you can hear the audio dropout. The video dropout is obvious.

Would love to know whether anyone else in the Bay Area got the same dropout.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception