San Francisco, CA - Comcast - Page 524 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 42Likes

post #15691 of 15909 Old 10-14-2016, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1463 Post(s)
Liked: 547
So what are they going to do with the reclaimed bandwidth?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15692 of 15909 Old 10-14-2016, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
So what are they going to do with the reclaimed bandwidth?
Probably DOCSIS 3.1. You need at least 24 MHz, and preferably 192 MHz for a single DOCSIS 3.1 OFDM signal.

Ron

HD MPEG-2 Test Patterns http://www.w6rz.net
post #15693 of 15909 Old 10-14-2016, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

More data bandwidth but nothing like 4K channels?

post #15694 of 15909 Old 10-18-2016, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
More data bandwidth but nothing like 4K channels?
Apparently they need more data bandwidth so you can hit your monthly 1TB datacap within an hour.
post #15695 of 15909 Old 10-22-2016, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Watching Cubs/Dodgers. Game not even OTA. On Fox Sports 1 channel. In Oakland.
Comcast is on one HDMI input, newish Roku streaming unit on another. The Comcast pic is poor. The stream via Roku is EXCELLENT. Our internet is provided by a subsidiary of Google - 100Mbps up/down. I had always thought HBO via HBOgo (via our Miami sub) was better than direct HBO via Miami Comcast - but this is first time I've done a comparison switching instantly between 2 inputs on same screen.
post #15696 of 15909 Old 10-22-2016, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2463 Post(s)
Liked: 2311
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
Watching Cubs/Dodgers. Game not even OTA. On Fox Sports 1 channel. In Oakland.
Comcast is on one HDMI input, newish Roku streaming unit on another. The Comcast pic is poor. The stream via Roku is EXCELLENT. Our internet is provided by a subsidiary of Google - 100Mbps up/down. I had always thought HBO via HBOgo (via our Miami sub) was better than direct HBO via Miami Comcast - but this is first time I've done a comparison switching instantly between 2 inputs on same screen.
Yes, FS1 is a FOX network and their feed has looked like crap the entire series. I watch the Dodgers(via DirecTV MLB-EI) during the regular season on Time Warner's Sportsnet LA and there's no comparison in quality, the Sportsnet LA feed is 1080i and blows away this ugly picture we're getting from FS1.
post #15697 of 15909 Old 10-22-2016, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1319 Post(s)
Liked: 570
Is this a FOX thing in general? Fox News 760 and local KTVU Fox 2 (702) are quite unimpressive AFA quality. Channel 2 actually looks better in Standard definition on my 30 year old 13" Mitsubishi.
post #15698 of 15909 Old 10-22-2016, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Is this a FOX thing in general? Fox News 760 and local KTVU Fox 2 (702) are quite unimpressive AFA quality. Channel 2 actually looks better in Standard definition on my 30 year old 13" Mitsubishi.
It's hard to say but I mentioned it being a FOX network as most all of their baseball games look soft and even mushy(like this game) at times. Their NFL games are soft as well though it can depend on the venue. I wish NBC did all the sports as their picture quality is outstanding, best in the market hands down.
post #15699 of 15909 Old 10-22-2016, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

How do you get FS1 via Roku?

There's an app. which authenticates because you have a Comcast subscription?

BTW, I tried out the Xfinity TV app. that they're pushing.

I'd been using the Xfinity Go app. for awhile but that doesn't have all the channels.

The TV app. has all the channels including CSNBA, NBA-TV and NFL Network. However, I'm not sure it's always HD. You can access your whole program guide so you can view the non HD channels of Comcast or even the secondary HBO and Showtime channels and they look okay in the app. on my iPad.

Not sure the HD channels you stream are better in PQ though and I haven't tried to Airplay it back to the TV like I do with HBO Go, which is terrific -- lets me view some HBO shows a couple of hours earlier than their West Coast time and the PQ is great and it sends Dolby Digital to my AppleTV. (It's too bad all the TV network apps. aren't like this.)

Other things to note is that you can filter out the guide by HD vs. non-HD channels and which channels allow out of home streaming. So the premiums let you but NBA TV, CSN BA, etc. do not.

The other thing is, you can view some on demand TV programs but you get stuck with ads that you can't skip or swipe past. It's ads for the app. specifically because you can touch a spot to learn more about the product they're advertising.

Unfortunately, Comcast and other TV providers are going to try to shove the apps. down our throats as replacements for DVRs, meaning some day, no more commercial skipping and a limited set of on demand content.
post #15700 of 15909 Old 10-23-2016, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Quote:

Fox Sports Go...

https://channelstore.roku.com/detail.../fox-sports-go

Bobby 

post #15701 of 15909 Old 10-23-2016, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

BTW, I tried out the Xfinity TV app. that they're pushing.

I'd been using the Xfinity Go app. for awhile but that doesn't have all the channels.

The TV app. has all the channels including CSNBA, NBA-TV and NFL Network. However, I'm not sure it's always HD. You can access your whole program guide so you can view the non HD channels of Comcast or even the secondary HBO and Showtime channels and they look okay in the app. on my iPad.

Not sure the HD channels you stream are better in PQ though and I haven't tried to Airplay it back to the TV like I do with HBO Go, which is terrific -- lets me view some HBO shows a couple of hours earlier than their West Coast time and the PQ is great and it sends Dolby Digital to my AppleTV. (It's too bad all the TV network apps. aren't like this.)

Other things to note is that you can filter out the guide by HD vs. non-HD channels and which channels allow out of home streaming. So the premiums let you but NBA TV, CSN BA, etc. do not.

The other thing is, you can view some on demand TV programs but you get stuck with ads that you can't skip or swipe past. It's ads for the app. specifically because you can touch a spot to learn more about the product they're advertising.

Unfortunately, Comcast and other TV providers are going to try to shove the apps. down our throats as replacements for DVRs, meaning some day, no more commercial skipping and a limited set of on demand content.
With Roku, if you (or a friend) have a cable account (like Comcast, TW etc.) you can - with many channels - access the channel via streaming. HBOgo, ESPN, SHOW, many various Fox sports channels, etc.
Once you go thru the sign up process and (for example) enter your Comcast info for one channel, computer seems to remember your info. So, when you sign up to stream Fox Sports, you just need to, once, log onto something like foxsports/roku, and enter a code you are given onto the Roku screen on your TV screen.
Our Miami condo provides Comcast (almost everything including HBO) to everyone - so we only subscribe to basic cable in Okld.
post #15702 of 15909 Old 10-23-2016, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Yeah, FS1 has terrible PQ. Now, with the World Series couple days away, we're going to have to deal with it on KTVU (Fox), and the PQ there is even worse. I do agree that streaming on Fox Sports Go via Roku looks noticeably better than FS1, but not by a lot. And you won't get 5.1 DD. It should look a whole whole lot better than KTVU though.

I recorded parts of the 49ers game on KTVU today, and it came in at 8.6 Mbps or so. The last couple episodes of Empire came in at less than 6 Mbps! Just terrible.

Last edited by KingsFan6; 10-23-2016 at 09:44 PM.
post #15703 of 15909 Old 10-24-2016, 10:33 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan6 View Post
Yeah, FS1 has terrible PQ. Now, with the World Series couple days away, we're going to have to deal with it on KTVU (Fox), and the PQ there is even worse. I do agree that streaming on Fox Sports Go via Roku looks noticeably better than FS1, but not by a lot. And you won't get 5.1 DD. It should look a whole whole lot better than KTVU though.

I recorded parts of the 49ers game on KTVU today, and it came in at 8.6 Mbps or so. The last couple episodes of Empire came in at less than 6 Mbps! Just terrible.
Can you tell me if your KTVU audio is coming in as stereo or 5.1? I'm still receiving that channel only in stereo via Comcast.
post #15704 of 15909 Old 10-24-2016, 10:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by yawitz View Post
Can you tell me if your KTVU audio is coming in as stereo or 5.1? I'm still receiving that channel only in stereo via Comcast.
Just flipped on the KTVU 10 o'clock news to check for you. It's being broadcast in stereo.

My signature:
Link: avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet

I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me.
post #15705 of 15909 Old 10-25-2016, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just checked both with Dish and OTA and KTVU is DD. Seems to be a Comcast issue only.

Bobby 

post #15706 of 15909 Old 10-25-2016, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I sort of decided to try more streaming of actual TV programs through my 5-years-old Roku LT to see whether they look better than through Comcast. The Fox Now app definitely looks better Fox shows on KTVU, which is not surprising, since KTVU is severely bit-starved. WatchESPN isn't better than ESPN/ESPN2, which is also not surprising, since ESPN/ESPN2 have very high bitrates. And at 30 fps on the app, the news scroller at the bottom suffers from a lot of jitter. Fox Sports Go is better than FS1, as I previously noted.

However, despite the potential better picture of streaming apps, among the three I've downloaded, none of them seem to offer 5.1 DD. Is that generally the case with all TV network streaming apps? Or maybe is it a function of my older Roku being detected and being given just stereo sound. My settings do allow for DD sound, so that's not the culprit.

Also, I know that MLB games streamed can be 60 fps, but do TV apps tend to be just 30 fps?
post #15707 of 15909 Old 10-25-2016, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
I sort of decided to try more streaming of actual TV programs through my 5-years-old Roku LT to see whether they look better than through Comcast. The Fox Now app definitely looks better Fox shows on KTVU, which is not surprising, since KTVU is severely bit-starved. WatchESPN isn't better than ESPN/ESPN2, which is also not surprising, since ESPN/ESPN2 have very high bitrates. And at 30 fps on the app, the news scroller at the bottom suffers from a lot of jitter. Fox Sports Go is better than FS1, as I previously noted.

However, despite the potential better picture of streaming apps, among the three I've downloaded, none of them seem to offer 5.1 DD. Is that generally the case with all TV network streaming apps? Or maybe is it a function of my older Roku being detected and being given just stereo sound. My settings do allow for DD sound, so that's not the culprit.

Also, I know that MLB games streamed can be 60 fps, but do TV apps tend to be just 30 fps?
The Roku might be limiting you, most of the streaming apps I've used, Starz, Amazon, Netflix, HBO Go are all 24fps and Dolby Digital sound, usually Dolby Digital Plus. The individual broadcast networks like ABC, CBS, etc. I haven't tried so I don't know what they have but I would guess that it would be similar to what other OTT providers use. I believe only the new 4K Roku will output 1080p/24fps, the older models do not.
post #15708 of 15909 Old 10-25-2016, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
The Roku might be limiting you, most of the streaming apps I've used, Starz, Amazon, Netflix, HBO Go are all 24fps and Dolby Digital sound, usually Dolby Digital Plus. The individual broadcast networks like ABC, CBS, etc. I haven't tried so I don't know what they have but I would guess that it would be similar to what other OTT providers use. I believe only the new 4K Roku will output 1080p/24fps, the older models do not.
I just tested ABC, Fox, NBC, and ESPN Go on my Roku and my AppleTV. They are all stereo. The premiums, HBO, Starz, Amazon, and Netflix are all 5.1...
Keenan and KingsFan6 like this.

Bobby 

post #15709 of 15909 Old 10-25-2016, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post
I just tested ABC, Fox, NBC, and ESPN Go on my Roku and my AppleTV. They are all stereo. The premiums, HBO, Starz, Amazon, and Netflix are all 5.1...
Thanks!

Do you have Comcast Internet? I ask as I thought they were blocking the Starz stand-alone app? Or are you getting it by way of Amazon?
post #15710 of 15909 Old 10-25-2016, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks!

Do you have Comcast Internet? I ask as I thought they were blocking the Starz stand-alone app? Or are you getting it by way of Amazon?
I do have Comcast Internet, but I access Starz via my Dish account...

Bobby 

post #15711 of 15909 Old 11-08-2016, 12:28 PM

Problem with 705 CBS-HD

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone else has this problem. On 705 (KPIX HD) I'm having intermittent black flickering lines on the screen. It is especially noticeable in bright scenes. I viewed it on 2 different TV's and it was there. I downloaded the program to my computer, and it shows up there as well. This tells me its in the feed itself. I haven't noticed it on any other channel.

Has anyone else seen this? It was quite evident during last Friday's 'Hawaii 5-0.' See pic below. Thanks for any feedback.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	1760721   Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.PNG
Views:	31
Size:	264.8 KB
ID:	1760729  
post #15712 of 15909 Old 11-08-2016, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomperman View Post
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone else has this problem. On 705 (KPIX HD) I'm having intermittent black flickering lines on the screen. It is especially noticeable in bright scenes. I viewed it on 2 different TV's and it was there. I downloaded the program to my computer, and it shows up there as well. This tells me its in the feed itself. I haven't noticed it on any other channel.

Has anyone else seen this? It was quite evident during last Friday's 'Hawaii 5-0.' See pic below. Thanks for any feedback.
Checked Comcast 705. Looks ok; nothing unusual. I have a Tivo Roamio Pro and live in San Jose.

My signature:

post #15713 of 15909 Old 11-08-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
Checked Comcast 705. Looks ok; nothing unusual. I have a Tivo Roamio Pro and live in San Jose.
Thanks for checking. It happens only every so often for a couple of seconds. Sometimes its worse than others and I go 15-20 minutes without seeing one.

When they do show up, they are quite distracting.

I'm running a Tivo Premiere (the one before the Bolt was released). I'm in Santa Rosa.
post #15714 of 15909 Old 11-09-2016, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm seeing multiple channels on Comcast suggesting Donald Trump won the election. Is anyone else having this problem?
post #15715 of 15909 Old 11-09-2016, 11:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persil View Post
I'm seeing multiple channels on Comcast suggesting Donald Trump won the election. Is anyone else having this problem?
Same problem happened here in Miami where we came to try and prevent the problem from happening,
post #15716 of 15909 Old 11-15-2016, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Dolby 6.1 on CNNHD (Comcast 759)?

I have a Tivo Roamio Pro and am on Comcast San Jose. I have a Denon 6200 set up in 5.1.4 speaker configuration. Today, my Denon 6200 shows that I am receiving an input signal of: FL, C, FR, SL, SR, SB, LFE; IOW Dolby Digital 6.1. I only see this on ch 759 CNNHD. I have never seen the Surround Back (SB) lit up before. Before today, I always received DD 5.1 (no SB).

Appreciate if someone could check/confirm this.

My signature:

Last edited by kokishin; 11-15-2016 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Added info.
post #15717 of 15909 Old 11-15-2016, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I noticed last week that KTVU looks a lot better OTA than on Comcast. So I hooked my antenna to my HDhomerun to checked the bitrate.

OTA clocked in at 12Mbps vs 8Mbps for Comcast. The picture is a lot sharper. So Comcast is definitely re-compressing the MPEG2.

It would be better if they did convert the locals to H.264, at least it would not be as bit starved. We need to complain. I will be voting with my wallet when my 2 year commit is over and going back to OTA.
post #15718 of 15909 Old 11-15-2016, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevini View Post
I noticed last week that KTVU looks a lot better OTA than on Comcast. So I hooked my antenna to my HDhomerun to checked the bitrate.

OTA clocked in at 12Mbps vs 8Mbps for Comcast. The picture is a lot sharper. So Comcast is definitely re-compressing the MPEG2.

It would be better if they did convert the locals to H.264, at least it would not be as bit starved. We need to complain. I will be voting with my wallet when my 2 year commit is over and going back to OTA.
There's been something wrong with the KTVU signal for awhile now, the football games on Sunday look horrible, barely SD widescreen quality and the audio has been DD 2.0 and not the FOX standard of DD 5.1. Supposedly it's being worked on.
post #15719 of 15909 Old 11-15-2016, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
I have a Tivo Roamio Pro and am on Comcast San Jose. I have a Denon 6200 set up in 5.1.4 speaker configuration. Today, my Denon 6200 shows that I am receiving an input signal of: FL, C, FR, SL, SR, SB, LFE; IOW Dolby Digital 6.1. I only see this on ch 759 CNNHD. I have never seen the Surround Back (SB) lit up before.

Appreciate if someone could check/confirm this.
I checked just now on I'm getting a 2.0 stereo signal from CNNHD(759).
post #15720 of 15909 Old 11-15-2016, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I checked just now on I'm getting a 2.0 stereo signal from CNNHD(759).
Thanks Keenan. I just checked again and I'm still getting DD 6.1 on CNNHD Comcast 759.

Should have mentioned that before today, I always got DD 5.1 (no SB).

My signature:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page