San Francisco, CA - Comcast - Page 526 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 31Likes

post #15751 of 15768 Old 11-30-2016, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 221
I called tech support tonight to complain about what looks a palpable decrease in PQ since the outages last night. The image is still softer than it was and some of its dynamics have fallen off as well. The image is also a bit warmer than it was. My plasma TV was calibrated by the outstanding ChadB two years ago and it has held up very well and since our LCD sets are exhibiting similar issues it's not a TV set problem. The CSR sent a couple of signals to the DVR which improved the PQ but only marginally so a truck roll is scheduled for Saturday morning. I'll let you guys know what happens after they check things out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15752 of 15768 Old 12-01-2016, 02:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Are those values of the resolution of the original sources before the TV upscales to the native resolution of the display?
Yes... it's the value received from the station for OTA and from Dish and Comcast for the satellite/cable services.

Larry

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists: http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html
Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html
Live reception scans from my HD Home Run receivers: http://www.larrykenney.com/hdhr/
Photos and info on my antennas: http://www.larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html
post #15753 of 15768 Old 12-01-2016, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney View Post
My new Sony XBR-65x850D TV indicates the resolution of the incoming signal in the information at the top of the screen when you change inputs. Comcast is shown as 720P, Dish as 1080i and Netflix and Youtube as 3840P. I never had the means of seeing this information before, so I don't know if Comcast has always been 720P here or if it's been changed.

Larry
SF
Pretty strange you're seeing 3840p. UHD is 2160, double that of HD's 1080. 3840 would be the number of pixels in a horizontal row, as opposed to the 2160 pixels in a vertical column.
post #15754 of 15768 Old 12-01-2016, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

The PQ appears to have improved tonight. The image is sharper and has better contrast than it had yesterday. It's still not "great" but is much more watchable. The football game on NBC looks very good, especially the Vikings solid purple uniforms. I still have the service call open for Saturday so I'll decide tomorrow whether to cancel it or not.
post #15755 of 15768 Old 12-02-2016, 12:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post
Pretty strange you're seeing 3840p. UHD is 2160, double that of HD's 1080. 3840 would be the number of pixels in a horizontal row, as opposed to the 2160 pixels in a vertical column.
I checked tonight and is shows 3840x2160. I just noted the first number previously.

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists: http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html
Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html
Live reception scans from my HD Home Run receivers: http://www.larrykenney.com/hdhr/
Photos and info on my antennas: http://www.larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html

Last edited by Larry Kenney; 12-02-2016 at 12:58 AM.
post #15756 of 15768 Old 12-02-2016, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey all. I just re-engaged Comcast cable after 10+ years of being a cord cutter. I'm looking for BeIN Sports in English but can't find it. Does anyone have a channel number for me? TIA.

Tim Vickroy

"Besides, there's no reason we can't be civil, is there?"
post #15757 of 15768 Old 12-02-2016, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I ended up cancelling the service call for tomorrow. The picture quality has steadily increased and is now close to what it was prior to the outage this week. I've been told that after some of these outages the X1 system can sometimes take a few days to fully recover. Maybe that's what happened here. If so, it doesn't give one a warm and fuzzy feeling, does it?
post #15758 of 15768 Old Yesterday, 01:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimV View Post
Hey all. I just re-engaged Comcast cable after 10+ years of being a cord cutter. I'm looking for BeIN Sports in English but can't find it. Does anyone have a channel number for me? TIA.
beIN1 (429) is the English channel but it's SD.
beIN2 HD (677) has English on the secondary audio track.
post #15759 of 15768 Old Today, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Couple days ago, I noticed that all channels are coming as as stereo. Programs that are supposed to be DD5.1 are not coming in as such, and I did check more than just a handful. I checked again today, and that still seems to be the case. Is anyone else noticing this, or is this just my soundbar system acting up?
post #15760 of 15768 Old Today, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan6 View Post
Couple days ago, I noticed that all channels are coming as as stereo. Programs that are supposed to be DD5.1 are not coming in as such, and I did check more than just a handful. I checked again today, and that still seems to be the case. Is anyone else noticing this, or is this just my soundbar system acting up?
I have a Tivo Roamio Pro. Tivo released an update earlier this week which causes my Denon 6200 (and other folks' avrs) to default to LPCM stereo. Tivo screwed up but there is a button sequence on the Tivo remote which switches the Tivo to output DD 5.1. By chance, do you have a Tivo DVR?

My signature:
Link: avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet

I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me.
post #15761 of 15768 Old Today, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Watching football on KTVU and my receiver indicates 2 channel. Switched to NatGeo and the program was showing 5.1. NBC was also showing 5.1.

post #15762 of 15768 Old Today, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2067 Post(s)
Liked: 1788
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan6 View Post
Check the audio output on your DVR/STB and make sure it's set to Dolby Digital and not PCM. I was noticing the same thing and it seems that a recent update to my TiVo had reset the audio to PCM, at least that's the story I'm going with as I sure don't recall ever changing it myself.
KingsFan6 likes this.
post #15763 of 15768 Old Today, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
I have a Tivo Roamio Pro. Tivo released an update earlier this week which causes my Denon 6200 (and other folks' avrs) to default to LPCM stereo. Tivo screwed up but there is a button sequence on the Tivo remote which switches the Tivo to output DD 5.1. By chance, do you have a Tivo DVR?
Ah, I hadn't seen your post before I posted my response to KingsFan6. So that is what happened, the update played with the audio settings. Come on TiVo, get your act together.
post #15764 of 15768 Old Today, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by juancmjr View Post
Watching football on KTVU and my receiver indicates 2 channel. Switched to NatGeo and the program was showing 5.1. NBC was also showing 5.1.
This problem with KTVU dates back to May 2016 (based on TiVo recordings from that timespan that I still have saved). All other channels that I've checked (that broadcast in 5.1) don't have this issue, so it doesn't seem to be an equipment problem on my end.
post #15765 of 15768 Old Today, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by juancmjr View Post
KTVU has been screwed up for quite some time now. I'm not sure what the story is but unless they had to build from the ground up what ever it is they need to fix this problem it should have been fixed already. The audio is 2.0 and the picture quality looks like their old 480p Widescreen they used many years ago.
post #15766 of 15768 Old Today, 03:59 PM
c3
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The latest TiVo update reset some other setting as well. The new Screen Reader is fun to try (but gets annoying very quickly). When a program is playing, press and hold the "A" button for 2 seconds to toggle that feature.
post #15767 of 15768 Old Today, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3 View Post
The latest TiVo update reset some other setting as well. The new Screen Reader is fun to try (but gets annoying very quickly). When a program is playing, press and hold the "A" button for 2 seconds to toggle that feature.
Pressing the B button will toggle closed captioning on and off which is a bit simpler than going through the Info button sequence. And the C button toggles audio I think. Not sure why they chose to use those letters with those functions, seems counterintuitive to me.
post #15768 of 15768 Old Today, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Check the audio output on your DVR/STB and make sure it's set to Dolby Digital and not PCM. I was noticing the same thing and it seems that a recent update to my TiVo had reset the audio to PCM, at least that's the story I'm going with as I sure don't recall ever changing it myself.
Yep, you're right. I have a TiVo, and the audio setting apparently had reset to PCM. It must have been the update that did it. I set it to Dolby Digital, and all is good now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page