San Francisco, CA - Comcast - Page 527 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 42Likes

post #15781 of 15909 Old 12-18-2016, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2460 Post(s)
Liked: 2308
It seemed to have stopped about 10 mins ago. I thought it was my TiVo going wonky.

Spoke too soon, just had a pause and a stutter with the BMW commercial.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15782 of 15909 Old 12-18-2016, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by cydeweyz View Post
Seeing that on DirecTV as well
I guess I can't blame Comcast, then; good. The Raiders game, now on the same channel, is glitch-free.
post #15783 of 15909 Old 12-18-2016, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post
I guess I can't blame Comcast, then; good. The Raiders game, now on the same channel, is glitch-free.
Yes, it has been, except for the Raider turnovers...

post #15784 of 15909 Old 12-28-2016, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 18
where are we at with 4K content, Xi5 boxes in the Bay Area? there seems to be NOTHING happening. I'm on my second 4k set in the past 5 years. They are a "thing" now...DirecTV has 4k content. Hey Comcast, let do this...
post #15785 of 15909 Old 12-28-2016, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milenkod View Post
where are we at with 4K content, Xi5 boxes in the Bay Area? there seems to be NOTHING happening. I'm on my second 4k set in the past 5 years. They are a "thing" now...DirecTV has 4k content. Hey Comcast, let do this...
4K??? Comcrap is moving most cable only channels to 720p, other than their owned channels or OTA's they retransmit.

My signature:
Link: avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet

I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me.
post #15786 of 15909 Old 12-28-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
4K??? Comcrap is moving most cable only channels to 720p, other than their owned channels or OTA's they retransmit.
I guess I should start looking at DirecTV then??
post #15787 of 15909 Old 12-28-2016, 10:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked: 547
DirecT doesn't have that much 4k content either.

Right now it's mostly streaming services and UHD Blu Ray.

It's going to take a deal to do NFL and other games.
post #15788 of 15909 Old 12-29-2016, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
DirecT doesn't have that much 4k content either.

Right now it's mostly streaming services and UHD Blu Ray.

It's going to take a deal to do NFL and other games.
Spoke to the DirecTV rep at my local Cosco. Rigth...not much there either. Still considering the switch however...might use that as leverage with Comcast retentions.
post #15789 of 15909 Old 12-29-2016, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm hoping that DirecTV Now gets some 4K content.

But it really comes down to whether networks are willing to invest in new broadcasting equipment, which would kind of force the cable and satellite TV cos. to get on board.

Netflix and Amazon can jump on 4K much more easily because of Internet delivery.
post #15790 of 15909 Old 12-29-2016, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milenkod View Post
Spoke to the DirecTV rep at my local Cosco. Rigth...not much there either. Still considering the switch however...might use that as leverage with Comcast retentions.
You can try retention and you may score a good deal.

A candid Comcast employee told me that to get the best renewal deal, go to a local Xfinity store and deal with an in-store rep. After my initial two year plan was almost up (which was negotiated at an Xfinity store), I went back to my local Xfinity store to renew and got a better deal than what I was offered over the phone.

Prior to Comcast, I was with Directv for 12 years and it just got too expensive no matter how much I pushed on retention. I decided to switch to Comcast and purchase a Tivo Roamio Pro so I didn't have to rent the Xfinity boxes. FYI: I only use Comcast for TV; I have a separate ISP for internet and phone service.

My signature:

post #15791 of 15909 Old 12-29-2016, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I also switched from D* after well over a decade.

They would not upgrade me to Genie so I was stuck with really old DVRs.

So I switched and saved money and bought a Roamio and the savings more than paid for it over 2 years. Got more premium channels and faster Internet.

Unfortunately, their best deals are the double or triple play bundles. Plus in the Santa Clara Valley and the Bay Area generally, a lot of cities don't have better choices than Comcast. Google and AT&T are suppose to have had fiber here for 2-3 years but never expanded to my address.
post #15792 of 15909 Old 12-29-2016, 12:07 PM

Quote:

A candid Comcast employee told me that to get the best renewal deal, go to a local Xfinity store and deal with an in-store rep.
I've always done the same. I've found that Xfinity stores have regional deals they can offer that national (over the phone) don't have access to. That said, I did go the Xfinity store earlier this month as my current promotional plan expires in Feb. Maybe I visited the store too early because they said there is nothing they can offer me that's equal or better that I'm on right now. I'll stick it out until the end of the month and re-deal or move on.
post #15793 of 15909 Old 12-29-2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, their best deals are the double or triple play bundles.
Right...I have 3x Play so I think that carries some additional merit everytime I re-negotiate when my contract is up.
Quote:
Plus in the Santa Clara Valley and the Bay Area generally, a lot of cities don't have better choices than Comcast. Google and AT&T are suppose to have had fiber here for 2-3 years but never expanded to my address.
Unfortunately, I live in older part of Dublin. Never going to see fiber to the curb in my neighborhood....it's all aerial poles = copper. The best U-Verse internet I ever had was 18mbps...but that was before the days of FTTNX2....so at best, I'd be getting 40-ish max which doesn't' seem enough for my 4 internet video addicted kids, wife and 4k streaming. Maybe WiGig but that's too far off in the future....I'm kind of stuck on Comcast internet if I want any decent bandwidth
post #15794 of 15909 Old 12-30-2016, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
For the handful of cable channels that HAVE YET to be downconverted to MPEG-4 720p @ 3.5 to 4 Mbps, I'm pretty convinced now that their PQ has indeed been degraded to some extent. I had been holding off on this conclusion for the past couple months because I figured that since their bitrates haven't changed, I must have just been biased into thinking of the worst. But the more I think of it, it makes sense that what my eyes and head are telling me is real! Even though ESPN, NBCSN, CSN, etc. still have high bitrates (15+ Mbps), I'm guessing they must be sharing their QAMs with MORE channels than before -- I'm not an expert with how statmuxing works, but I'm pretty sure that the more channels you cram into a slot, the harder it is to maintain PQ even for the lone channel in the group that didn't get a reduced bitrate. Does anyone else agree with me that ESPN, NBCSN, CSN looks worse than before? Interestingly though, NFL Net still looks quite good like it always has.
post #15795 of 15909 Old 12-30-2016, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan6 View Post
For the handful of cable channels that HAVE YET to be downconverted to MPEG-4 720p @ 3.5 to 4 Mbps, I'm pretty convinced now that their PQ has indeed been degraded to some extent. I had been holding off on this conclusion for the past couple months because I figured that since their bitrates haven't changed, I must have just been biased into thinking of the worst. But the more I think of it, it makes sense that what my eyes and head are telling me is real! Even though ESPN, NBCSN, CSN, etc. still have high bitrates (15+ Mbps), I'm guessing they must be sharing their QAMs with MORE channels than before -- I'm not an expert with how statmuxing works, but I'm pretty sure that the more channels you cram into a slot, the harder it is to maintain PQ even for the lone channel in the group that didn't get a reduced bitrate. Does anyone else agree with me that ESPN, NBCSN, CSN looks worse than before? Interestingly though, NFL Net still looks quite good like it always has.
CSN and NBCSN are still 1080i and look OK to me. Comcrap is protective of their own crap. ESPN is 720p. All of the down rez'd 720p channels that I watch look worse to me.

My signature:

Last edited by kokishin; 12-30-2016 at 11:27 AM.
post #15796 of 15909 Old 12-30-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
CSN and NBCSN are still 1080i and look OK to me. Comcrap is protective of their own crap. ESPN is 720p. All of the down rez'd 720p channels that I watch look worse to me.
I thought the same thing (Comcast being protective of their own), but even their channels look worse than before. ESPN isn't theirs, but even it looks softer than before. But yes, everything that's been down-rezzed look like absolute crap. Just don't understand how they think they can get away with this. It's a massive deterioration of their video product. I would imagine that the networks themselves can't be happy with what Comcast has done. I can't imagine a detectable ratings slide as a result, but wouldn't that be interesting if that did happen!
post #15797 of 15909 Old 12-30-2016, 03:12 PM
c3
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
A candid Comcast employee told me that to get the best renewal deal, go to a local Xfinity store and deal with an in-store rep.

Maybe that depends on the level of subscription. I've been calling the retention department once a year for many years. I just called Comcast and renewed my two accounts: Internet Plus 25 for $49.99.
post #15798 of 15909 Old 01-02-2017, 08:41 AM

Xi5 UHD Box

Has there been any feedback on the Xi5 box? I understand this is an experimental box that handles UHD content in select markets Just wondering about the content and when it might be coming to other markets? anyone know or have experience with this box?
post #15799 of 15909 Old 01-02-2017, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 329
With these 720p shenanigans, I've been seriously considering switching from Comcast to DirecTV. I already have DSL and a VOIP Land Line through AT&T, which gives me a good deal for the initial 2 years. Unsure about what would come after that, I heard some bad stuff about DirecTV upping prices excessively. I already have been working my way through the fine print on their flyers.

This would be a big equipment change for me as well, I have two TiVos (HD and Premiere Elite), but they start to get a bit long in the tooth. Any opinion on the difference between the TiVo experience and the Genie? Especially with regard to control of upcoming recordings, tweaking the To-Do list, etc. And, how reliable is DirecTV compared to cable, especially in bad weather? (Not that we have real bad weather here in the Bay Area...)

Thanks for any insight!
post #15800 of 15909 Old 01-02-2017, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabaeus View Post
With these 720p shenanigans, I've been seriously considering switching from Comcast to DirecTV. I already have DSL and a VOIP Land Line through AT&T, which gives me a good deal for the initial 2 years. Unsure about what would come after that, I heard some bad stuff about DirecTV upping prices excessively. I already have been working my way through the fine print on their flyers.

This would be a big equipment change for me as well, I have two TiVos (HD and Premiere Elite), but they start to get a bit long in the tooth. Any opinion on the difference between the TiVo experience and the Genie? Especially with regard to control of upcoming recordings, tweaking the To-Do list, etc. And, how reliable is DirecTV compared to cable, especially in bad weather? (Not that we have real bad weather here in the Bay Area...)

Thanks for any insight!
If you're going to make the switch to Directv, you'd better move quick: https://consumerist.com/2016/12/30/a...-bundle-to-60/

This is not important to most folks but one of the reasons I switched from Directv to Comcast was that I wanted to receive local subchannels. I also wanted the PAC-12 channel. After 2+ years with Comcast, I have no significant regrets about switching although their picture quality is not as good as Directv. Also, as I said in a prior post, I own a Tivo Roamio Pro and a Mini which have already paid for themselves (vs renting boxes).
scarabaeus likes this.

My signature:

post #15801 of 15909 Old 01-02-2017, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Anybody else having frequent audio breakups on ESPN for the Rose Bowl?

Marantz AV8802A, Sunfire Signature Grand (425W x 5), Sunfire TGA-7201 (200W x 7), Oppo UDP-203, Vizio P-75, Phase Technology PC8.5 (FL, FR, SL, SR), Phase Technology PC-Center, Phase Technology PC-60 (RSL, RSR), KEF Ci200rr (FHR, FHL, RHR, RHL), Epik Tower Sub
post #15802 of 15909 Old 01-02-2017, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8der View Post
Anybody else having frequent audio breakups on ESPN for the Rose Bowl?
I haven't been watching but I was getting occasional breakups during the two playoff games the other day. Just tuned it in and haven't seen anything yet.
post #15803 of 15909 Old 01-02-2017, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Yep, seems to have cleared up since I posted.

Marantz AV8802A, Sunfire Signature Grand (425W x 5), Sunfire TGA-7201 (200W x 7), Oppo UDP-203, Vizio P-75, Phase Technology PC8.5 (FL, FR, SL, SR), Phase Technology PC-Center, Phase Technology PC-60 (RSL, RSR), KEF Ci200rr (FHR, FHL, RHR, RHL), Epik Tower Sub
post #15804 of 15909 Old 01-04-2017, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Yep, looks like KTVU has been fixed . . . well, partially. Picture looks much better than before (bitrate is up to ~11 Mbps now from less than 6), but audio is still 2.0. The picture appears to have been fixed since at least Tue (4 days ago).
I was hoping that with the PQ improvements being reported that the audio problem would have been addressed, but it looks like KTVU audio is still 2.0. (This goes back to May 2016, as previously mentioned.) I went ahead and submitted this issue via the KTVU website (as suggested earlier in this thread).
post #15805 of 15909 Old 01-05-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
I thought the same thing (Comcast being protective of their own), but even their channels look worse than before. ESPN isn't theirs, but even it looks softer than before.
I take this back. The channels that haven't been down-rezzed DO NOT appear to look worse than before. Maybe it was going on consistently for a few days, I don't know, but right now, they look just fine.
post #15806 of 15909 Old 01-05-2017, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawitz View Post
I was hoping that with the PQ improvements being reported that the audio problem would have been addressed, but it looks like KTVU audio is still 2.0. (This goes back to May 2016, as previously mentioned.) I went ahead and submitted this issue via the KTVU website (as suggested earlier in this thread).
I left KTVU's Chief Engineer a voicemail about their lack of 5.1 audio on Comcast (dunno about OTA) months ago. I gave up hope and use DSU on my AVR on occasion to synthesize multichannel audio. Maybe Comcast down rezzed KTVU's audio since KTVU has always been 720p.

My signature:

post #15807 of 15909 Old 01-31-2017, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Anyone else not getting channel 703 (NBC) ?
Just get an error message saying they have a problem tuning in the channel and to try again later.

Laters,
Mikef5
post #15808 of 15909 Old 01-31-2017, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5 View Post
Just get an error message saying they have a problem tuning in the channel and to try again later.

Laters,
Mikef5
It's working up here. Looks like the Today show is on?
post #15809 of 15909 Old 01-31-2017, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
It's working up here. Looks like the Today show is on?
Thanks Jim, it's still not working here,
Just wanted to check if it's just me or if others were having the same problem before I call Comcast.

Laters,
Mikef5
post #15810 of 15909 Old 01-31-2017, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5 View Post

Laters,
Mikef5
Just checked Comcast 703 (KNTV) and it's working fine on my Tivo Roamio Pro. I live in downtown San Jose.

My signature:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page