San Francisco, CA - Comcast - Page 528 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 36Likes
post #15811 of 15830 Old 01-31-2017, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
Just checked Comcast 703 (KNTV) and it's working fine on my Tivo Roamio Pro. I live in downtown San Jose.
Thanks for the input. I , unfortunately, have a Comcast box. I have an indoor antenna and I can get NBC so I know it's not the station and if I go online I can watch it there, just not on any of my Comcast boxes. It's hard to believe only one channel is affected ( and a Comcast channel at that )
I'm in the Milpitas area so I'm looking for people in that area that are having this problem but again thanks for your input.

Laters,
Mikef5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15812 of 15830 Old 02-03-2017, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's been a while since I checked the forums and reading through doesn't give me a clear answer to the advice I need.

My DCX3400 has gotten more and more buggy and I need to swap it out. Is my only option X1, or is there something more comparable to the DCX? And even if there is, should I just go ahead and move to the X1?

Thanks.

Jim
post #15813 of 15830 Old 02-03-2017, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooey91 View Post
My DCX3400 has gotten more and more buggy and I need to swap it out. Is my only option X1, or is there something more comparable to the DCX? And even if there is, should I just go ahead and move to the X1?
Tivo. Bought one 5 years ago and still going strong.

I used the X1 at a relative's house and was not impressed with the channel changing speed. 'channel up', pop up screen of the channel then the program. Channel surfer's nightmare.

YMMV

post #15814 of 15830 Old 02-03-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barovelli View Post
Tivo. Bought one 5 years ago and still going strong.

I used the X1 at a relative's house and was not impressed with the channel changing speed. 'channel up', pop up screen of the channel then the program. Channel surfer's nightmare.

YMMV
Does that allow for on demand viewing? Regardless, I'm hoping to get an answer to my specific question (DCX or X1?).
post #15815 of 15830 Old 02-04-2017, 02:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1187 Post(s)
Liked: 412
TiVo Roamio does access xfinity On Demand but the mending system is crappy, not the responsive TiVo UI because it's communicating with Comcast.

But you can use the TiVo app. From your phone or iPad to search for episodes and see if they're oOn Demand, at which point you can send it to play on one of your Tivos.

Much faster than navigating through the On Demand menus with the remote.
post #15816 of 15830 Old 02-04-2017, 09:21 AM

Thanks. I'm going to hold off on Tivo. So any advice re: whether I should get a new DCX DVR (and, if so, which one should I look for), or go for the X1?

Last edited by zooey91; 02-04-2017 at 10:32 AM.
post #15817 of 15830 Old 02-04-2017, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Thanks. I'm going to hold off on Tivo. So any advice re: whether I should get a new DCX DVR (and, if so, which one should I look for), or go for the X1?
DCX3520m is the most recent that I schlep around. 500g hard drive, MP4 capable. The newer ones do not have a cable card in them. Last time I had one in my home it was just as buggy as the rest. I had it's power cord on a switch so it could reboot it without taking the center apart.

Test the X1 in the C* store and see if you can live with it. Change channels up and down, pick a random channel to tune to, pick a channel to tune to from the guide and see if it's ok for you. I say "6 of one, half dozen of the other".

Last edited by Barovelli; 02-07-2017 at 08:23 PM.
post #15818 of 15830 Old 02-04-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barovelli View Post
DCX3500m is the most recent that I schlep around. 500g hard drive, MP4 capable. The newer ones do not have a cable card in them. Last time I had one in my home it was just as buggy as the rest. I had it's power cord on a switch so it could reboot it without taking the center apart.

Test the X1 in the C* store and see if you can live with it. Change channels up and down, pick a random channel to tune to, pick a channel to tune to from the guide and see if it's ok for you. I say "6 of one, half dozen of the other".
Thanks. I haven't used the up/down channel changers for over a decade; just use the guide. "Just as buggy as the rest" makes me think I will probably opt for the X1. My mom has the Cox equivalent, and it seems ok, but I haven't lived with it so my question here is/was re: the DVR features. As I understand it, the programs don't sit on a hard drive, but in the cloud, which gives me pause (e.g., is there a time limit on how long I can "store" a program? Will I be able to skip through commercials?).

I may jump over to a broader Comcast forum and see if I can find any answers.

Thanks again.

Jim
post #15819 of 15830 Old 02-06-2017, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Exclamation To X1 or not to X1...

Quote:
Thanks. I haven't used the up/down channel changers for over a decade; just use the guide. "Just as buggy as the rest" makes me think I will probably opt for the X1. My mom has the Cox equivalent, and it seems ok, but I haven't lived with it so my question here is/was re: the DVR features. As I understand it, the programs don't sit on a hard drive, but in the cloud, which gives me pause (e.g., is there a time limit on how long I can "store" a program? Will I be able to skip through commercials?).

I may jump over to a broader Comcast forum and see if I can find any answers.

Thanks again.

Jim
One thing of which to be aware. Folks have mentioned the channel changing/up down/etc/ speed. I don't think I've seen mention of the fact that the X1, in comcast's infinite wisdom, apparently requires cloud message exchange(s) to change channels. You find this out when the X1 system is down/broken/whatever, and you cannot change channels on your X1 box.

I suspect that it's because the channel selection & search are integrated. To search for a show/movie, you can type it out on the keypad. So typing a channel number might be a search -- you'll notice you get a list with the channel at the top.

Whoever designed it did not include "system down" as an option -- so it does not default to a simple channel change. Bad design.

I've seen it happen a couple of times over the past year. Just so you know...
post #15820 of 15830 Old 02-06-2017, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 74
If you get an X1 box that seems sluggish, like the first one that I received, exchange it for a new one. There was a huge difference in response speed between the two. My new one has been working great with little if any response delay. Occasionally my old box sometimes took 10 to 15 seconds to repond, which was totally unacceptable.

Larry

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists: http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html
Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html
Live reception scans from my HD Home Run receivers: http://www.larrykenney.com/hdhr/
Photos and info on my antennas: http://www.larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html
post #15821 of 15830 Old 02-06-2017, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks Larry for spotting my post in the wrong thread..off to OTA I go..

Toshiba TLP-650, Infocus 4805, Panasonic AE2000, JVC DLA-RS400U
HK AVR-8000, Yamaha RX-V681BL, Sansui (yes they were awesome)

Last edited by SpeedyHTPC; 02-07-2017 at 10:20 AM.
post #15822 of 15830 Old 02-07-2017, 02:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyHTPC View Post
Hey all,

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on a peculiar problem I have with KGO.
Ever since we had the strong storms with the high winds, my OTA reception of KGO with a chimney top antenna started to show blocky video and screen pauses.
I figure the first thing is that the wind had turned the antenna or bumped it off course.
Since my house is a high 2 story roof, I had someone come by to help me turn the antenna as I watch the TV (60" Samsung Costco special).
You would probably get better results if you posted on the OTA thread rather than the Comcast thread.
San Francisco, CA - OTA

I haven't got an answer for you as to why you're having trouble with channel 7, but have you tried receiving KGO from their translator on channel 35?

Larry

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists: http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html
Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html
Live reception scans from my HD Home Run receivers: http://www.larrykenney.com/hdhr/
Photos and info on my antennas: http://www.larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html
post #15823 of 15830 Old 02-07-2017, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I noticed during the Super Bowl that audio is back to DD5.1 on KTVU. Woo hoo!
Keenan likes this.
post #15824 of 15830 Old 02-07-2017, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan6 View Post
I noticed during the Super Bowl that audio is back to DD5.1 on KTVU. Woo hoo!
Yep. Saw that too. Took 'em long enough.

My signature:
Link: avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet

I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me.
post #15825 of 15830 Old 02-08-2017, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I noticed yesterday that Comcast had their video channels duplicated from 1000 and up, what's up with that?
post #15826 of 15830 Old 02-08-2017, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcady View Post
I noticed yesterday that Comcast had their video channels duplicated from 1000 and up, what's up with that?
http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Channel...up/m-p/2852221
post #15827 of 15830 Old 02-14-2017, 12:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Is there any diff. in quality between X-1 and "regular" DVR service? Can you get it as a stand alone service or do you have to bundle it w. internet and useless phone service.

I have noticed the buffer on the 2 channels on our DVR is now 2 hours.
post #15828 of 15830 Old 02-14-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
Is there any diff. in quality between X-1 and "regular" DVR service? Can you get it as a stand alone service or do you have to bundle it w. internet and useless phone service.

I have noticed the buffer on the 2 channels on our DVR is now 2 hours.
I just cancelled comcast phone and internet, and was told I couldn't get X1 without Comcast internet (by several folks at xfinity). One person said it may be possible in the future, though.

I can't address quality with one exception: If you walk in today and get a non-X1 DVR, it will be a refurbished one from several years ago, and the support is beyond horrible. I spent hours on the phone the last several days (spoke with 7 different people at 3 different levels of support), first to address service issues with my old 3400 box, and then to deal with the fact that they gave me a bad box when I "upgraded" to a 3501.
post #15829 of 15830 Old Yesterday, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
I just cancelled comcast phone and internet, and was told I couldn't get X1 without Comcast internet (by several folks at xfinity). One person said it may be possible in the future, though.

I can't address quality with one exception: If you walk in today and get a non-X1 DVR, it will be a refurbished one from several years ago, and the support is beyond horrible. I spent hours on the phone the last several days (spoke with 7 different people at 3 different levels of support), first to address service issues with my old 3400 box, and then to deal with the fact that they gave me a bad box when I "upgraded" to a 3501.
You'll also get a crappy-looking guide and navigation with the pre-X1 boxes. Probably slower too. I'm not surprised if they're all refurbs, since those boxes are so old. They probably don't make new ones anymore.
post #15830 of 15830 Unread Today, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
Yep. Saw that too. Took 'em long enough.
For what it's worth, I got an email last Tuesday (2/14) from KTVU, in response to a report I submitted through their website, that the problem was corrected:
Quote:
Mitch,
The audio should be in 5.1 now
Thanks for the heads up

Lee MacPherson
KTVU, KICU
Agree that this took a long time to correct (and it's surprising that they didn't realize there was a problem), but happy to have it resolved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page