San Francisco, CA - Comcast - Page 529 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 39Likes

post #15841 of 15860 Old 03-01-2017, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
I believe he has Webpass which I think is a microwaved delivery system using antennas on the roof of the building. I also think it's exclusive to MDUs, no single family residence installations.
You are all correct. I am in Oakland, have Webpass. We had our 45 unit condo building hooked up a couple years ago. The basic 100mbps up/down service costs $25 a month a unit. It is paid out of the HOA dues.
As it turned out they were also going to service our Miami condo- but couldn't do it because the building hadCat5 w rather than Cat6.
Service has been excellent. A modem is not required. I don't know if this type of service could provide the same level of service that actual fiber can. We are right on the edge of downtown Oakland, so it would seem that real fiber can't be too far away.
Keenan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15842 of 15860 Old 03-01-2017, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
You are all correct. I am in Oakland, have Webpass. We had our 45 unit condo building hooked up a couple years ago. The basic 100mbps up/down service costs $25 a month a unit. It is paid out of the HOA dues.
As it turned out they were also going to service our Miami condo- but couldn't do it because the building hadCat5 w rather than Cat6.
Service has been excellent. A modem is not required. I don't know if this type of service could provide the same level of service that actual fiber can. We are right on the edge of downtown Oakland, so it would seem that real fiber can't be too far away.
Thanks, I am still depressed that Google gave up on fiber after getting permitting started in San Jose.
post #15843 of 15860 Old 03-01-2017, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelFisch View Post
Thanks, I am still depressed that Google gave up on fiber after getting permitting started in San Jose.
If they don't start putting in their own fiber, that would mean their new TV service would be carried over Comcast lines, at least here in the bay area.

post #15844 of 15860 Old 03-01-2017, 09:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelFisch View Post
Pissed me off that google would not lay fiber in their own back yard.

My signature:
Link: avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet

I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me.
post #15845 of 15860 Old 03-01-2017, 10:56 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2293 Post(s)
Liked: 2117
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
Pissed me off that google would not lay fiber in their own back yard.
I have the same issue with Sonic who have yet to install fiber in their home town of Santa Rosa.
post #15846 of 15860 Old 03-02-2017, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
When I hear of all the launches of fiber to the home projects it amazes me that they no idea what it takes to build plant.

No wonder they are all backing off or trying to make us believe that a wireless last mile is just as good.
post #15847 of 15860 Old 03-02-2017, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked: 453
A lot of Google Fibers problems were political.

AT&T and other competitors blocking or delaying access to utility poles and state laws, written for those companies' interests, making it difficult or impossible to break the granted monopolies in a lot of localities.

Other countries are able to get a modernized last mile infrastructure because they don't favor a few companies over the interests of consumers to allow greater competition.
Keenan likes this.
post #15848 of 15860 Old 03-03-2017, 05:33 PM

Access to poles - often requires year or more of inspections, load capacity reports, plant adjustments etc. It may seem like blocking but its always been drawn out. The poles are owned by PG$E and AT$T and they need to be safe.

My old totally broke hometown was sold a package of vapor - a totally free citywide fiberoptic network using the city sewer system for distribution. No content just the fiber plant. 3 years now and not one fiber-to-the-biffy yet. No one is blocking the sewers to keep them out (well, not in that sense).
Muni FTTH pitch in Pacific Grove goes from no cost, no risk to pay us $1 million a year
post #15849 of 15860 Old 03-10-2017, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Strange DCT700 behavior

I have a very basic Comcast receiver, a DCT700. I was just watching TV through it when the audio went out. The audio cable from it to the TV seems to be okay because when I unplug and then replug it, the audio comes back for a few seconds--but without video. Then the blue program ID bar comes on the screen, the audio disappears, and the program video appears. I replicated that behavior 4-5 times. Has anyone seen this behavior before? I've got a bunch of things to do tomorrow and would prefer not to have to spend time at Comcast, but this isn't looking good.
post #15850 of 15860 Old 03-11-2017, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Strange DCT700 behavior

I stopped by Comcast a little while ago and got a new cable box. Had trouble activating it, and after about 15 minutes I finally determined that the RF connector was loose; I hadn't tightened it properly on the cable box.

I feel like I'm asking the obvious here, but shouldn't checking connectivity be the first thing that Comcast's tech support system does? How can they send a reset signal (which the CSR first said she had, then later said she hadn't) if they have no communication with the box? We should have been able to figure out the connection problem much sooner than we eventually did. Grrr.....
post #15851 of 15860 Old 03-11-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintertime View Post
I stopped by Comcast a little while ago and got a new cable box. Had trouble activating it, and after about 15 minutes I finally determined that the RF connector was loose; I hadn't tightened it properly on the cable box.

I feel like I'm asking the obvious here, but shouldn't checking connectivity be the first thing that Comcast's tech support system does? How can they send a reset signal (which the CSR first said she had, then later said she hadn't) if they have no communication with the box? We should have been able to figure out the connection problem much sooner than we eventually did. Grrr.....
Last time I used the CSR's version of "Hit A Box" I found it odd that one could not select one box out of many to hit. Then after I click on the confirmation to hit all boxes it just replies "All boxes have been hit". It worked though.

The command line/text only system has a function that will list the serial if it does not hit, does not exist or some other casualty. People that never seen a text on a terminal have no clue about what we call "The Dark Side". Like CSRs.

Checking the box's on board diagnostic (power off, hit OK on remote) would take you to a signal levels page, where one might be able to troubleshoot inside wiring problems if the S/N is bad. But a DCT700..man that's almost a museum piece but it was made in the good old days from good parts.
post #15852 of 15860 Old 03-15-2017, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Are any of you that have TiVos getting lots of audio dropouts on KNTV? I'm getting a ridiculous amount of them, to the point that the show is unwatchable. Specifically on Grimm last Friday and the 2nd episode of The Blacklist Redemption which aired on 3/2.
post #15853 of 15860 Old 03-16-2017, 11:42 PM
c3
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just finished watching The Voice (KNTV) with crappy audio.
post #15854 of 15860 Old 03-16-2017, 11:45 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3 View Post
Just finished watching The Voice (KNTV) with crappy audio.
Dropouts? I think they've got something wrong with their signal.
post #15855 of 15860 Old 03-16-2017, 11:48 PM
c3
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Dropouts?

Yes, fortunately not noticeable in the actual singing portions. The audio problem occurs in the commercial breaks as well.
post #15856 of 15860 Old 04-21-2017, 09:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Is it just me or is the PQ on many stations getting worse? I'm seeing very soft images on too many channels. I've had to do 2 XG1 dvr swaps over the past few days and have really noticed the drop in PQ. This goes beyond Comcast's reducing the resolution to 720p. I'm not a happy camper right now. More on the DVR problems in the next post.
post #15857 of 15860 Old 04-21-2017, 10:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 265
X1 DVR Problems

I've had an Arris X1 2nd generation DVR for some time. It's fan was a bit noisy but it was a dependable unit. Early last week, its hard drive started rattling a bit so I took to my local Comcast store. I was given a new 3rd generation Arris DVR. These units use a 2.5" form factor hard drive and a fan that is almost whisper quiet. It weighs considerably less than the earlier model. It records to the hard drive and cloud simultaneously. As soon as it was up and running the problems began. It wasn't always accepting record commands from my XID satellite boxes. It wasn't able to cancel recordings or delete them. You could "delete" an in progress recording from the XIDs but the DVR would still be recording them. Multiple actions by tech support did not solve the problems so back the DVR went. I got a 2nd gen Pace DVR which is very quiet but its hard drive may be glitchy. It also has some issues with triggering an on the fly recording similar to the Gen3 unit.. That makes me wonder whether some of this is due to issues within the X1 system that's affecting DVRs generally. If anyone who has X1 has seen problems with their DVRs can report them here I'd appreciate it.
post #15858 of 15860 Old Yesterday, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I am seeing new 4-digit channel numbers. For example, HBOHW has been on channel 801 for years, and now it is also on channel 1803.

When I search to record a show via the TV Remote app's DVR Manager, it only offers me the 4-digit channel. But on the TV itself, it seems to be recording the 3-digit channel.

Does anyone know what this is all about?
post #15859 of 15860 Old Today, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post
I am seeing new 4-digit channel numbers. For example, HBOHW has been on channel 801 for years, and now it is also on channel 1803.

When I search to record a show via the TV Remote app's DVR Manager, it only offers me the 4-digit channel. But on the TV itself, it seems to be recording the 3-digit channel.

Does anyone know what this is all about?
https://www.xfinity.com/support/cabl...hannel-lineup/
post #15860 of 15860 Old Today, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 89
^ Thanks for the pointer, @mazman49 . I was unaware of this change.

So now most channels appear twice in the lineup. And Comcast is down-rezzing 1080i channels to 720p.

This is Comcast's choice of how best to use the available cable bandwidth?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page