San Francisco, CA - Comcast - Page 530 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 41Likes

post #15871 of 15900 Old 05-02-2017, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
....Fixed wireless is going to be expensive and will likely have prohibitive data usage caps, like you, I'll believe that will be a viable solution when I see it.
I'm not ready to drink the Kool-Aid either and I hear you about data caps, but I wonder if wireless won't actually be much less expensive to implement than fiber. I've been watching the crews stringing fiber hereabouts and there's a ton of person-hours going into it. Of course the carriers will charge what the market will bear irrespective of their own costs, but IIUC, they'll be able to leverage their cellular infrastructure when they spread out into that spectrum that they've just purchased from the TV broadcasters (and stolen from us).
Keenan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15872 of 15900 Old 05-02-2017, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
5G will also use the 28Ghz and 37-40Ghz millimeter bands.

It is also point to point of course and will require a lot of very small cells. Effectively Fiber to the pole and then Wireless to the user. The caps will be a wireline level since effectively it is only wireless in the last quarter mile. More in rural areas.

Verizon's initial focus for 5G is fixed wireless to start with so fixed broadband is absolutely their focus. Especially outside their wireline coverage zone like ours. They can compete with at&t effectively. at&t is pushing Fiber now for this reason I believe.
post #15873 of 15900 Old 05-02-2017, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2340 Post(s)
Liked: 2169
Also, consider that the "5G" that AT&T is referencing lately in the news is not true 5G, it's Gigabit LTE. My understanding is that true 5G won't be ready for primetime until 2019-2020. AT&T's "5G Evolution" branding is just that, pure marketing and not true 5G.

post #15874 of 15900 Old 05-02-2017, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1319 Post(s)
Liked: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevini View Post
5G will also use the 28Ghz and 37-40Ghz millimeter bands.

It is also point to point of course and will require a lot of very small cells. Effectively Fiber to the pole and then Wireless to the user. The caps will be a wireline level since effectively it is only wireless in the last quarter mile. More in rural areas.

Verizon's initial focus for 5G is fixed wireless to start with so fixed broadband is absolutely their focus. Especially outside their wireline coverage zone like ours. They can compete with at&t effectively. at&t is pushing Fiber now for this reason I believe.
Thing is, Verizon wouldn't bring Fios to AT&T areas and vice versa. Almost seemed like collusion that they wouldn't compete against each other.

So what would change now? Yes it would be a lot cheaper to deploy than stringing wire to each home but they'd have to increase their backhaul capacity if they take on millions of home users who are looking to connect their computers and multiple devices to one account, versus the 2 GB data caps that they allot to each device and for which they get incremental revenue.

Think about it. They get $50-100 for each mobile device with 1 GB to "unlimited" data per month. So are they going to offer a $50-80 home service where there could be multiple devices which collectively use hundreds of gigs a month?

Plus, Verizon and AT&T ideally would need to bundle a TV service of some kind. I guess Verizon would partner with Comcast for AT&T areas? Or would they have to negotiate TV rights with the media companies again (I remember when Uverse first started, the cable companies fought them in almost every state, unsuccessfully, to deny them TV distribution deals).

You also seem to imply that 5G will require more cells than LTE? Is that correct, each 5G base station will have a smaller footprint? In any case, if they add thousands of home customers, they will need more base stations in a given area to increase overall network capacity.

EDIT: Did a quick Google. Verizon is aiming to do home trials in 11 markets this year and in fact, they envision fixed home wireless service well before 5G for mobile, because mobile chipsets won't support 5G data for at least another two years:

http://www.cio.com/article/3149034/c...d-at-home.html

https://www.cnet.com/news/free-veriz...d-service-faq/

So maybe they will use this home service to finance some of the network buildout before mobile devices are ready in 2019 or 2020. And yes with the higher frequencies used, they will need a more dense network of base stations, maybe one every half mile, unless they can connect homes which have a direct line of uninterrupted sight to the base station.

AT&T is talking 2019 and T-Mobile is saying they're only doing mobile, no home service, because they just won rights to 600 Mhz spectrum in a recent spectrum auction, which will let them deploy fewer base stations to cover a give area.

I guess the pricing is still the interesting question, whether they will try to compete with Comcast or price their product as a premium offering. They say minimum 1 Gbps and often faster with good reception so I can see them pricing it higher, especially if with that high speed, you get more generous or no caps. They might have to bundle services though in order to offer competitively priced packages though.

While people like faster speeds, I think a lot of people will be price-sensitive, unwilling to pay over $100 just for data.

Last edited by wco81; 05-02-2017 at 10:46 AM.
post #15875 of 15900 Old 05-02-2017, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Thing is, Verizon wouldn't bring Fios to AT&T areas and vice versa. Almost seemed like collusion that they wouldn't compete against each other.

So what would change now?
The breakup of the Bell's prevent at&t and VZ from competing in wireline. Ironically for Voice since that is where the network started but the rules extended to DSL and now Fiber. There is pole ownership, attachment etc too. The same does not exist in wireless. So legally they can't compete in wireline but they can with 5G. Getting the space and the backhaul is going to be very interesting. Lots over overbuilding will have to happen.

Quote:
Yes it would be a lot cheaper to deploy than stringing wire to each home but they'd have to increase their backhaul capacity if they take on millions of home users who are looking to connect their computers and multiple devices to one account, versus the 2 GB data caps that they allot to each device and for which they get incremental revenue.
Yep and this is why fiber assets are now more valuable again, the integrated operators have an advantage. The backhaul is very important. It also puts Comcast in a very good position since the HFC has fiber very deep and can be extended.

Quote:
Think about it. They get $50-100 for each mobile device with 1 GB to "unlimited" data per month. So are they going to offer a $50-80 home service where there could be multiple devices which collectively use hundreds of gigs a month?
I agree that it makes no sense, however it has already started, they all have "unlimited" again. Yes the speed ramps down but it is better to cannibalize you own service than loose to a competitor. The killer app for 5G really is not known yet. I don't think fixed wireless is it but the Carriers are going down that road already.
Quote:
Plus, Verizon and AT&T ideally would need to bundle a TV service of some kind. I guess Verizon would partner with Comcast for AT&T areas? Or would they have to negotiate TV rights with the media companies again (I remember when Uverse first started, the cable companies fought them in almost every state, unsuccessfully, to deny them TV distribution deals).
Maybe. Youtube TV, DirectTV Now (from at&t of course) and Sling are all options

Quote:
You also seem to imply that 5G will require more cells than LTE? Is that correct, each 5G base station will have a smaller footprint? In any case, if they add thousands of home customers, they will need more base stations in a given area to increase overall network capacity.
They will need a heck of a lot more. Just the physical characteristics of the spectrum require this. They have to be microcells. Fiber and mesh is going to be key. The local city regulations are going to be the biggest issue, just like they were for DAS.

Quote:
EDIT: Did a quick Google. Verizon is aiming to do home trials in 11 markets this year and in fact, they envision fixed home wireless service well before 5G for mobile, because mobile chipsets won't support 5G data for at least another two years:

http://www.cio.com/article/3149034/c...d-at-home.html

https://www.cnet.com/news/free-veriz...d-service-faq/

So maybe they will use this home service to finance some of the network buildout before mobile devices are ready in 2019 or 2020. And yes with the higher frequencies used, they will need a more dense network of base stations, maybe one every half mile, unless they can connect homes which have a direct line of uninterrupted sight to the base station.

AT&T is talking 2019 and T-Mobile is saying they're only doing mobile, no home service, because they just won rights to 600 Mhz spectrum in a recent spectrum auction, which will let them deploy fewer base stations to cover a give area.

I guess the pricing is still the interesting question, whether they will try to compete with Comcast or price their product as a premium offering. They say minimum 1 Gbps and often faster with good reception so I can see them pricing it higher, especially if with that high speed, you get more generous or no caps. They might have to bundle services though in order to offer competitively priced packages though.

While people like faster speeds, I think a lot of people will be price-sensitive, unwilling to pay over $100 just for data.
Yep, it is going to be very interesting. 5G is not a replacement for 4G like the previous generations. It is an overlay. We still need 4G for the large coverage and just to confuse everyone more as keenan mentioned at&t is calling 1gig LTE "5G" just like they did for 3.5G.

On the price side the going rate is $80 for Gig service, People seem to be willing to pay that, not any more.

Last edited by kevini; 05-02-2017 at 11:58 AM.
post #15876 of 15900 Old 05-03-2017, 12:31 AM
c3
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
If you have Comcast Internet service, are you able to log into your account? I cannot do that from my home/Comcast network because login.comcast.net is unreachable, but it works fine from outside of Comcast network.
post #15877 of 15900 Old 05-03-2017, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3 View Post
If you have Comcast Internet service, are you able to log into your account? I cannot do that from my home/Comcast network because login.comcast.net is unreachable, but it works fine from outside of Comcast network.
I have Comcast internet and I just logged in fine on it...

Bobby 

post #15878 of 15900 Old 05-03-2017, 09:22 AM
c3
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post
I have Comcast internet and I just logged in fine on it...

Thanks. Pinging login.comcast.net still doesn't work from Mountain View.
post #15879 of 15900 Old 05-03-2017, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Maybe they renamed their login page and you're now trying to go to a nonexistent page? I've never gone in through "login.comcast.net." Or at least, I've never entered that URL myself; perhaps I was redirected to it at some point. I just tried it and got this error message:

Unable to connect

Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at login.comcast.net.

But I had no problem getting logged in to my Comcast account via www.comcast.com.
post #15880 of 15900 Old 05-04-2017, 12:40 AM
c3
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintertime View Post
But I had no problem getting logged in to my Comcast account via www.comcast.com.

That's how I log in as well, but it still needs to reach login.comcast.net, which does not work from my area.

Update 5/5: Comcast has fixed this issue. It was down for about a week.

Last edited by c3; 05-05-2017 at 10:23 PM.
post #15881 of 15900 Old 05-12-2017, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Duplicate Channel Lineup

I'm curious is anyone has shifted from the old lineup to the new lineup and how it's going?

I thought about it but old habits die hard and I hate learning new channel numbers. Also, having some of the channels spaced so far about makes it even more difficult to remember channel numbers.

Anyone who made the transition want to share?
post #15882 of 15900 Old 05-12-2017, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by brimorga View Post
I'm curious is anyone has shifted from the old lineup to the new lineup and how it's going?

I thought about it but old habits die hard and I hate learning new channel numbers. Also, having some of the channels spaced so far about makes it even more difficult to remember channel numbers.

Anyone who made the transition want to share?
There's no difference. These are just new number designations and you get the same channel no matter which number you chose. The only difference is the grouping in the listing.

Larry

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists: http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html
Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html
Live reception scans from my HD Home Run receivers: http://www.larrykenney.com/hdhr/
Photos and info on my antennas: http://www.larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html
post #15883 of 15900 Old 05-12-2017, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney View Post
There's no difference. These are just new number designations and you get the same channel no matter which number you chose. The only difference is the grouping in the listing.

Larry
Exactly! Do the new groupings improve the experience is my question.
post #15884 of 15900 Old 05-13-2017, 12:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I can't help you on that, Brimorga. I use the older channel numbers myself.

Larry

Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html
Live reception scans from my HD Home Run receivers: http://www.larrykenney.com/hdhr/
post #15885 of 15900 Old 05-15-2017, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Can someone clarify what XFi is supposed to be? I left Comcast at the beginning of the year and am less familiar with anything new from them. Thanks
post #15886 of 15900 Old 05-15-2017, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milenkod View Post
Can someone clarify what XFi is supposed to be? I left Comcast at the beginning of the year and am less familiar with anything new from them. Thanks
https://www.xfinity.com/support/inte...-xfi-overview/

Bobby 

post #15887 of 15900 Old 05-15-2017, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post
yea...i read that and it didn't make sense. The best I could figure is that is a mesh networking device? Do you get extenders with that? I'm confused
post #15888 of 15900 Old 05-15-2017, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
I gave myself a 65-inch Sony 4K TV as a Christmas present and I've been extremely pleased with the 4K content on Netflix and YouTube. (I don't have Hulu or Amazon.) Many of the regular shows on Netflix are in 4K and lots of the scenic videos on YouTube look fantastic. Dish also fed the latest Planet Earth programs from BBC America in 4K and it was breathtaking!

As for Comcast, yes their quality has gone down hill, but even though I have Dish for my regular TV viewing I also have the X1 feed. It's only $15 more than just internet and there are a few channels on Xfinity that are not in my Dish package.

I've seen a lot of complaints about Comcast service here and on other boards, but I haven't had a single problem (except for the lower quality TV) in the past two years. My 75 Mb internet and the X1 TV service have been 100% reliable here in San Francisco.

Larry
How do the Comacst channels look on your new Sony 4K? I've got a 65" LG OLED set from Value Electronics in Yonkers, NY on the way. I have been worried about the drop in Comcast's quality and whether a state of the art 4K set would make the flaws look worse. A couple of things have happened since my last posts about the DVRs that I was playing musical chairs with. I finally got a 3rd generation Pace DVR that works perfectly. I asked my local Comcast office if they could send a tech out to look at the PQ since it had gotten softer. The guy comes out, looks at my still excellent Panny VT60 plasma and declares the picture to be sharp. I told him that we had vastly different defintions of "sharp". He ended up not touching a thing and leaving. I find out a week later that this guy tagged me with $70 service call charge, which I was never informed of. Of course I got Comcast to remove the charge and the CSR read me the report. To paraphrase "saw no issues with the picture. Educated customer" That did not sit well which I made abundantly clear. I suspect that the tech has been spoken to. A week later I had another service call to determine why one of my XID satellite boxes was frequently losing its connection. This tech put a new connector on the coax cable attached to the wall plate. He also put a new primary cable (carries internet and cable) and fittings in the box on the side of the house just to cover all the bases. He didn't charge a dime. The overall picture was better as soon as this was done. Was it razor sharp? Of course not but it was sharper than it had recently been and brighter. I'm still concerned about what the OLED is going to look like but we'll see how it works out. If it really gets bad, I may have to look at Direct, although I'd rather not.

Last edited by Cal1981; 05-15-2017 at 11:56 AM.
post #15889 of 15900 Old 05-15-2017, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

Larry
So why is there 2 sets of the same hd channels? Isn't that taking up bandwidth?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
post #15890 of 15900 Old 05-15-2017, 09:47 PM
c3
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog510 View Post
Isn't that taking up bandwidth?
It's just a small mapping table.
post #15891 of 15900 Old 05-15-2017, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3 View Post
It's just a small mapping table.
What's the point of that?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
post #15892 of 15900 Old 05-16-2017, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
How do the Comacst channels look on your new Sony 4K? I've got a 65" LG OLED set from Value Electronics in Yonkers, NY on the way. I have been worried about the drop in Comcast's quality and whether a state of the art 4K set would make the flaws look worse.
My new Sony has an up-scaler built in so the Comcast channels look okay. I can see that the Dish picture is sharper, but the Comcast picture is still acceptable.

When you go to Netflix or YouTube and see actual 4K, though, it makes any regular HD look a little soft. The 4K pictures are as clear as looking out a clean window into the world. You're going to love it!

Larry

post #15893 of 15900 Old 05-16-2017, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My new Sony has an up-scaler built in so the Comcast channels look okay. I can see that the Dish picture is sharper, but the Comcast picture is still acceptable.

When you go to Netflix or YouTube and see actual 4K, though, it makes any regular HD look a little soft. The 4K pictures are as clear as looking out a clean window into the world. You're going to love it!

Larry
Thanks Larry. Hopefully the Comcast PQ will be good enough.
post #15894 of 15900 Old 06-01-2017, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Limited Basic Service

Does anyone happen to know what Comcast currently offers on the most Limited Basic tier of service?
Does it include anything HD at all? Broadcast channels perhaps? Or is that always extra?

Also, does anyone know if Comcast is still doing separate simulcasts in SD of HD content? Or do the set top boxes do a SD downconversion from an HD channel when HD is not authorized?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Persil; 06-01-2017 at 01:13 PM.
post #15895 of 15900 Old 06-01-2017, 09:11 PM
c3
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persil View Post
Does anyone happen to know what Comcast currently offers on the most Limited Basic tier of service?
Does it include anything HD at all? Broadcast channels perhaps? Or is that always extra?

Also, does anyone know if Comcast is still doing separate simulcasts in SD of HD content? Or do the set top boxes do a SD downconversion from an HD channel when HD is not authorized?

Thanks in advance.

HD content is included, but if you have to rent a HD set top box, that may have an additional cost. For example, TiVo receives HD content of the subscribed channels without additional charge.

SD and HD are separate transmissions.
post #15896 of 15900 Old 06-05-2017, 12:15 AM
c3
Advanced Member

For the Contra Costa County, many TV and Internet prices are going up on July 1st.
post #15897 of 15900 Old 06-05-2017, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am coming back to Comcast from U-verse and have a tv in a room using a wireless receiver from AT&T. This room doesn't have a cable outlet and I really don't want to pay to have it wired. I would appreciate input from anyone who is using the Roku beta app for xfinity. Is this a viable wireless alternative and being Beta is it fairly stable? Any other thoughts would be appreciated.
post #15898 of 15900 Old Today, 02:39 AM
c3
Advanced Member

Don't know when it started, but my 25Mbps Performance Plus service (30Mbps tested) has become a 55Mbps service (66Mbps tested). Other tiers may have been increased as well.
post #15899 of 15900 Old Today, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Larry
Well I got my 65" OLED on Tuesday. It's a beautiful set and UHD-HDR movies and up-scaled Blu-rays look great as does UHD, HDR and Dolby Vision content from Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, etc.. Then there's Comcast. Some channels are OK but many are not. On MSNBC and CNN, the anchors look soft and pasty. HBO is very sub-par. It reminds me of the early days of HDTVs when we still had SD content for the most part and it looked terrible taken up to a 16x9 720P screen. There was always that "gumby" look that people had. I doubt that Comcast really gives a damn about what its PQ is since that majority of subscribers don't realize that they are not getting very good PQ. I may have to start looking at Direct again. I wish that Verizon FIOS had any kind of a footprint in our region. It is in the LA area but nada here. There are complaints about its customer service but not many about the PQ.
post #15900 of 15900 Old Today, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
On MSNBC and CNN, the anchors look soft and pasty.
In the case of some of their on-air people (e.g., Rachel Maddow), I think Comcast is inadvertently doing America a small favor.

My signature:
Link: avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet

I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception