San Francisco, CA - Comcast - Page 531 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 42Likes

post #15901 of 15909 Old 07-21-2017, 08:08 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2523 Post(s)
Liked: 2376
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post
Is HBO channel 801 sent in 720p or 1080i here in the Bay Area?

My equipment doesn't tell me, and I'd like to set my X1 box to the native resolution of the channel when watching Game of Thrones.
It's in 720p, all channels other than the locals are delivered in a 720p/60 format.

If you value good picture quality my advice would be to dump the HBO subscription and view GoT via the HBO streaming app as the show can be very hard to render, especially in dark scenes, and the product that Comcast is sending down the line is garbage.

Last edited by Keenan; 07-21-2017 at 08:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15902 of 15909 Old 07-30-2017, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 44
My last post in this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
It's in 720p, all channels other than the locals are delivered in a 720p/60 format.

If you value good picture quality my advice would be to dump the HBO subscription and view GoT via the HBO streaming app as the show can be very hard to render, especially in dark scenes, and the product that Comcast is sending down the line is garbage.
We noticed that watching HBO via HBOGo is much better than watching the Comcast direct cable version. (Our internet is from Google, not Comcast.)

KEENAN --
Thanks for your "service" over the years. We finally "cut-the-cord" last week. Have been w. Comcast and its predecessor in Oakland for decades. The final blow is/was Comcast putting MSNBC in a tier with expensive sports channels. $15+.
Keenan likes this.

Last edited by snidely; 07-30-2017 at 01:59 PM.
post #15903 of 15909 Old 07-30-2017, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2523 Post(s)
Liked: 2376
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
We noticed that watching HBO via HBOGo is much better than watching the Comcast direct cable version. (Our internet is from Google, not Comcast.)

KEENAN --
Thanks for your "service" over the years. We finally "cut-the-cord" last week. Have been w. Comcast and its predecessor in Oakland for decades. The final blow is/was Comcast putting MSNBC in a tier with expensive sports channels. $15+.
Thanks!

My contract discount is up in Sept and if Comcast tries to start charging Additional Outlet fees for the 2 extra CablCARDs I have then I'll be dropping their video product and just using their HSI product. I may retain just Limited Basic if it still keeps the HSI portion cheaper like it has in the past.

post #15904 of 15909 Old 07-30-2017, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1502 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post

KEENAN --
You get Google Fiber in Oakland?
post #15905 of 15909 Old 07-30-2017, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
You get Google Fiber in Oakland?
For the last several years we have lived part time in a 45 unit condo building on the edge of downtown Oakland. We were approached by a company named Webpass, about three or four years ago, to provide high-speed Internet to the building. I am not clear on the technology, but they put a small antenna on the roof, run a cable to the basement telephone board that feeds all the units, and the Internet signal runs on one of the three pairs of phone wires that goes to each unit. They service some number of buildings in both San Francisco and Oakland. They are also in a few other cities like San Diego and Boston.
A couple of years ago, Google bought them out! They only seem the service buildings that have more than 10 units.
When we were first approached, we had two offers. One was, they would install the antenna at no charge and simply provide service to any owner that wanted to pay $60 a month or $500 a year. The other offer was that HOA would pay a $4000 install fee for the antenna and would pay $25 a month fee for each unit and provide signal to each unit. We obviously decided to take the second alternative! So, included in everyone's HOA dues is the $25 charge for internet.
There is no modem needed. They just installed an ethernet plug next to the phone jack. Most people would then simply plug their router into the ethernet jack.
Their basic service is 100Mbps up/down. The Ping numbers usually register 2 or 3ms - although on occasion I've gotten a Speedtest rating of ONE ms!
You can get even faster speed by paying them some extra amount of money. They would use another pair of the phone wires. Anyway, I think there are only two or three people in the building that have landline phones. They are mostly in their 20s and 30s. The services been rock solid.
Their home office is in San Francisco.
post #15906 of 15909 Old 07-30-2017, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1502 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Ah yes, know about Webpass.

Yeah they may be using that instead of running fiber everywhere because it's cheaper. But that means only apt. complexes, no single homes.

They could cover a lot of people in some bigger cities but it probably rules out most people living in the suburbs.

You don't get rain fade?
post #15907 of 15909 Old 08-05-2017, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Rain? In California?
Never have noticed any problems. Of course, if speed were cut in half, wouldn't notice it. Would seem more likely speed would be affected more if everyone was on computer in evening - especially as more people cut the cord and stream Game of Thrones (or the Daily Show) all at the same time.
post #15908 of 15909 Old 08-11-2017, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by yawitz View Post
For what it's worth, I got an email last Tuesday (2/14) from KTVU, in response to a report I submitted through their website, that the problem was corrected:

Quote:
<i>Mitch,
The audio should be in 5.1 now
Thanks for the heads up

Lee MacPherson
KTVU, KICU</i>

Agree that this took a long time to correct (and it's surprising that they didn't realize there was a problem), but happy to have it resolved.
Has anyone else noticed that KTVU has been sending (via Comcast) the main audio program in mono for the past few days? just checking to see if it's everywhere or just where I am in Los Gatos. I've already sent an email to their general signal problem email address.

Edit:

Received this from KTVU this afternoon :

Thanks for the email. You are correct. We have an issue with an audio device that will be repaired soon.

Last edited by eelpout; 08-12-2017 at 10:42 AM.
post #15909 of 15909 Old 08-11-2017, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Still in mono on my end. North Bay. Glad KTVU answered your inquiry.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page