Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 15286 Old 02-07-2007, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Again, I do understand what they are TRYING to do by requiring Cablecards, and I support the basic idea. I'd be an idiot not to - the Moto boxes are shite!

I just think it's a circuitous route to achieve that goal, one that WILL increase our cable bills (regardless of, and in addition to any other increases) AND it still may not achieve the goals it's trying to.

After all, Comcast might be forced go about making sure Cablecards work better and are more well supported in their OWN STBs but that doesn't guarantee the same level of service with 3rd party STBs.

The only thing guaranteed is increased costs, for something that is entirely unnecessary (because current cable boxes work just fine without Cablecards, and adding one wouldn't give them any new abilities).

I mean, isn't there a better solution?
post #213 of 15286 Old 02-07-2007, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaet View Post

my zip code is 94608

can you do the line up for just expand + basic and digital classic,

I dont need the whole lineup, I just want to know which chan I should get with my subscription

I went to the Comcast Site and got this information from your ZIP Code and an address within the same ZIP. This info is from the Shop tab. "ESPN HD, ESPN 2 HD, FSN HD, Discovery Theater HD, TNT HD, Universal HD, MHD and INHD are offered as part of our Digital Cable Packages. You will need to subscribe to either Digital Classic, Digital Plus, Digital Silver, Digital Gold, or Digital Platinum in order to receive these High Definition Channels."

I believe in a prior post you said that you have Digital Classic. You should get the channels listed above along with the locals. If you still have problems and you'll have to call Comcast and have them provision your cable box properly.

John
post #214 of 15286 Old 02-07-2007, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaet View Post

Why is 726 - 728 "Lifestyle"
what package has that? i want those channels

I have Digital Classic (plus HDTV) and have been getting them for a while now, you don't?
Also 720 is FSN now, INHD2 is kaput.
post #215 of 15286 Old 02-07-2007, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by walk View Post

After all, Comcast might be forced go about making sure Cablecards work better and are more well supported in their OWN STBs but that doesn't guarantee the same level of service with 3rd party STBs.

What are the chances Motorola/Comcast come up with a workaround for SDV using CableCARD 1.0 if they are forced to use CableCARD STBs starting July 07?

Now ask yourself what are the chances if there are zero Comcast STBs using CableCARD?

The mandate for Comcast/MSOs using CableCARD at least assures that whatever infrastructure decisions Comcast makes need to take into account making sure their own CableCARDs deployments are not left in the dust. As long as a feature can be done using CableCARD 1.0, TiVo et al can at least piggyback or reverse engineer that solution.

If you don't feel SDV is a big issue for TiVo S3 read these posts:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&&#post4848958

http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=113263

"According to the report, Comcast execs plan to have a quarter of their footprint enabled for SDV by the end of 2007, and launch "the next 50 channels of HD" as switched channels."

I don't think they will adding VOOM channels anytime soon. So, there are bound to be many popular HD channels that will be added. Popular in the sense of HD, not to the general subscriber base of SD channels, at least not yet. They probably think this is the only way to get a lot of HD channels on the air. Whatever the case, future Comcast HD is going SDV, and don't be surprised if the current HD channels go SDV, as well.

--

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&&#post4846037

TWC Austin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a tivo s3 installed with Austin TWC and a whole bunch of channels are now on SDV, not just unpopular ones. I've had to install a Time Warner HD DVR in parallel just to get the channels I'm missing.

BTW I don't see why it is a foregone conclusion prices will increase. If people start buying their own PVRs and Comcast only has to carry inventory for $30 CableCARDs vs $500 Motorola 6412s why does that necessarily result in price increases. If CableCARD viability speeds up the transition to digital from analog, doesn't that tend to help them in the long run?

The STBs that Comcast uses may cost a little more in the short-term but that will go down as volume goes up.

Personally I'm not willing to accept at face value statements from the MSOs that the pricing will go up and they will pass it on to us. There is only so much room the pricing can go up before it starts driving customers to Dish/DirecTV, that's why it is nice to have competition.
post #216 of 15286 Old 02-07-2007, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Gardner View Post

Or you can get it on www.comcast.com. Follow the Programming->Channel Lineup links on the home page. It'll prompt you for your street address and ZIP code and generate a channel lineup.

The online line-up list doesn't tell you what you should receive as part of what package. As far as I can see on comcast.com, nothing clearly explains the packages, wheras that is about the only thing D* and E* do well.

For example, several new channels appeared in the last few months, but I can't tell if the are subscription or if my 3416 box has a problem. Actually, in know my 3416 has a problem as I have been getting HBO MAX and STZ since I picked up the box several months ago even though I am not on the premium plan. I've tried resetting the box to no avail.

Anyway, there are 3 new channels that are not authorized on my box:

UHD
MHD
one other in the last week or so.

Also, HDSE no longer seems to transmit anything at any time anymore.

The current online line-up list doesn't include the MHD channel or the other new one (sorry call letters have slipped my mind)

I guess I need to visit the local store and see if they know what I should be receiving.

Bill
in Alamo
post #217 of 15286 Old 02-07-2007, 11:26 PM

I've got my 3416 connected to my plasma display via both HDMI and component. I've recently been using the component output because the HDMI PQ is crap compared to the 6412 I had up until a few weeks ago.

Tonight when I turned the system on, the box was displaying a frozen picture, no sound, and wouldn't respond to the remote or the front panel power switch. I unplugged the 3416 and plugged it back in after a few minutes. It came up with "Du1" (anyone know what this code means? It's not listed in the Wikibooks article) on the display and no picture on the plasma (but sound was OK.)

I tried several more power cycles, including leaving it unplugged for 15 minutes, but got the same result every time (no picture and "Du1" on this display). On a hunch, I unplugged the power and unplugged the HDMI cable from the 3416 and plugged the power cord back in. Now it came up fine with a picture (on the component output) and sound along with the channel number in the front panel display.

I tried another power cycle and plugged the HDMI cable back in, but got the same result as before (no picture and "Du1" in the display). Unplugging the HDMI cable restored things to normal operation.

Has anyone else noticed this? Many people have had problems with HDMI on these boxes recently, but I've never heard of the box locking up completely if an HDMI cable was plugged in, even if I'm using the component output.

$300 HDMI cables? P.T. Barnum would have been proud.
post #218 of 15286 Old 02-08-2007, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey experts.....
I'm looking for some info & advice regarding Comcast DVRs, as I think I'm getting left in the dust here......

I have an older (2001) RPTV so all I have available for my HD video connection is component cable. I've had the *original* (Phase I?) Moto 6412 since they were first made available to us in the Bay Area. Other than the known bugs, everything seems okay, and I was not planning on upgrading to a new TV with HDMI until my current set dies.

But now I'm seeing everyone here talking of Phase IIs & IIIs and 3412s and 6416s, cablecards, SDV, and the statement that Comcast is phasing out my DVR. Will I lose my DVR functionality from Comcast if I don't upgrade in the near-future? I'm happy with my current setup unless an alternate DVR will give me better video quality and/or enhancements, and more recording space (160G?) with fewer bugs. But like I said, I'm still limited by my TV to component cable connections (I use optical cable for my 6.1 audio). Am I okay to stay with what I've got, or do I need to upgrade? Any recommendations or advice as to what I should be doing?
post #219 of 15286 Old 02-08-2007, 06:49 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mds54 View Post

.... and the statement that Comcast is phasing out my DVR. Will I lose my DVR functionality from Comcast if I don't upgrade in the near-future? I'm happy with my current setup unless an alternate DVR will give me better video quality and/or enhancements, and more recording space (160G?) with fewer bugs.

Your 6412 will not change, or lose any functionality. If you have one that works ok for you, hang on to it. Matter o fact, it will be flipped to all digital simulcast if it has not already done so.

Phasing out only means no longer being issued. The 67 Chevelle SS 396 was phased out, too. The only reason to switch would be for HDMI if you get a display that needs it.
post #220 of 15286 Old 02-09-2007, 07:45 PM

is ESPN HD, channel 723here, screwed up for anyone else besides me? The video is choppy, the audio is choppy and its unwatchable.

the one time the warriors are aired on national television I cant even watch it in HD...thanks comcast!
post #221 of 15286 Old 02-09-2007, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmobin View Post

is ESPN HD, channel 723 for me, screwed up for anyone else besides me? The video is choppy, the audio is choppy and its unwatchable.

the one time the warriors are aired on national television I cant even watch it in HD...thanks comcast!

just you. fine here.
post #222 of 15286 Old 02-09-2007, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

eh i should put something down a little helpful. sometimes my dvr is causing the choppiness (but generally only on 1080i channels, no idea why), so i unplug it and it works again.
post #223 of 15286 Old 02-09-2007, 07:54 PM

I tried, that no go. I even plugged in another HD box (i have a 6412 and 3412), BOTH of them are choppy. video/audio. I have never seen this happen before in the time I have had these boxes. This is a first. I dont understand how both boxes can have the same problem.

of course ESPN in sd works fine and every single other HD channel is normal, including ESPN 2 HD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeykid View Post

eh i should put something down a little helpful. sometimes my dvr is causing the choppiness (but generally only on 1080i channels, no idea why), so i unplug it and it works again.

post #224 of 15286 Old 02-10-2007, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've got my 3416 connected to my plasma display via both HDMI and component. I've recently been using the component output because the HDMI PQ is crap compared to the 6412 I had up until a few weeks ago.

Component and HDMI pictures should be practically identical, either you have a bad box, or a bad TV.
Quote:

Tonight when I turned the system on, the box was displaying a frozen picture, no sound, and wouldn't respond to the remote or the front panel power switch. I unplugged the 3416 and plugged it back in after a few minutes. It came up with "Du1" (anyone know what this code means?

That is HDCP sync (I think it's supposed to read "DVI"). Something is not working properly on the HDMI/DVI port, again either the box or the TV. I'd try the box on a different HDMI TV if you have one, otherwise have the box replaced by Comcast and hope that it's the problem...
post #225 of 15286 Old 02-10-2007, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Try having only the HDMI connection connected to your tv set, nothing else and see if that works. Also, try having the tv on first then turn on the cable box ( or the other way around, it's been too long since I've had that problem ). It sounds like you are having a HDMI sync ( handshake ) problem. The only advantage that I see with HDMI is that sound and video are on one cable which helps with cable clutter, as far as a better picture quality, I don't see it better or worse.

Laters,
Mikef5
post #226 of 15286 Old 02-10-2007, 04:48 PM

if anyone cares, after about 30-40 minutes ESPN HD returned to normal last night. no choppy video/audio like I reported earlier. I dont really understand why, but at least I was able to watch the rest of the warriors beat the bulls
post #227 of 15286 Old 02-11-2007, 11:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Are DVR-like functions like pause, fast forward and rewind possible with OnDemand programs when using a non-DVR STB?

I saw this statement in an article linked below and was curious.

Quote:

The studios listened this time, not only because DVD rentals have stopped climbing but because Comcast has passed a milestone: More than 50% of its 24.1 million subscribers buy the digital boxes that allow them to order PPV movies on demand (with the ability to pause, fast-forward and rewind).

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...37#post9746037
Hot Off The Press! The Latest Television News and Info - AVS Forum
post #228 of 15286 Old 02-11-2007, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Are DVR-like functions like pause, fast forward and rewind possible with OnDemand programs when using a non-DVR STB?

Yes, at least on the DCT-6200 that I have and I think all OnDemand capable STBs. If the remote does not have the transport buttons (FF, Play, Rew, etc.) then the arrow and other buttons will do those functions.
post #229 of 15286 Old 02-11-2007, 12:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker View Post

Yes, at least on the DCT-6200 that I have and I think all OnDemand capable STBs. If the remote does not have the transport buttons (FF, Play, Rew, etc.) then the arrow and other buttons will do those functions.

Interesting, thanks.
post #230 of 15286 Old 02-11-2007, 01:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Something I noticed after reading a post in another thread, Comcast has increased the DVR rental cost from $9.95 to $11.95 per month effective Jan, 1st 2007. That's quite a jump. Has anyone with the 6412 noticed that increase on their bill?
post #231 of 15286 Old 02-11-2007, 01:23 PM
c3
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Something I noticed after reading a post in another thread, Comcast has increased the DVR rental cost from $9.95 to $11.95 per month effective Jan, 1st 2007.

That's just one of the many items which were increased: limited basic, expanded basic, digital classic, etc.
post #232 of 15286 Old 02-11-2007, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 110
Quote:

Something I noticed after reading a post in another thread, Comcast has increased the DVR rental cost from $9.95 to $11.95 per month effective Jan, 1st 2007. That's quite a jump. Has anyone with the 6412 noticed that increase on their bill?

Yes, as of Feb 1, my DVR went up to $11.95 a month. This is the latest Rohnert Park price list. I find it interesting that there is a TBD price for a DVR without HD.
LL

Bobby 

post #233 of 15286 Old 02-11-2007, 01:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3 View Post

That's just one of the many items which were increased: limited basic, expanded basic, digital classic, etc.

I knew they had increased their programing costs(they always do ) I just hadn't noticed they had increased the hardware costs, especially for hardware that has had negligible improvements over the years. Besides, generally speaking, hardware costs usually go down, not up...I guess that's not the case with Comcast.

I guess adding TiVo service to the 6412 will mean the DVR will cost about $20 or so a month, that's getting up there.
post #234 of 15286 Old 02-11-2007, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post

I did a manual recording on my S3 (since I have no cablecards) for the super bowl, and saw my first huge breakups. I didn't watch the SB, I record it to fast forward through all of the boring game and watch the ads.. (whereas the rest of the year I record everything to 30 sec skip past the ads)

There was one section, I think during the ads, that it got REALLY bad and basically froze for a few seconds. Even going past it and back, there was a big problem in the signal.

I had a similar problem recording the SB on a Comcast DVR -- occasional breakups (proably due to rain) during the game, and a massive breakup during one of the commercial breaks (due to who knows what).
post #235 of 15286 Old 02-13-2007, 09:45 AM

Thought I'd share the pricing/programming quoted to me by the Comcast CSR this morning. I have a Tivo S3 with 2 CCs, Limited Basic and Digital Classic. My bill included the following charges:

Limited Basic: $14.77
Digital Classic: $11.95
High Definition TV: $5
HDTV Additional Service: $5
Digital Additional Outlet: $6.99

I called to get the last three items removed and replaced by the $1.50 for the 2nd CC. I was quoted $1.50 by two different CSR reps before the installation.

This morning, the CSR told me that without paying the $5 "High Definition TV" charge, I would not get any station in the 700 range (all of the HDTV content). I went ahead and had her remove it anyway, since I know that the networks are not encrypted. Has anyone else had this kind of conversation with Comcast?

I doubt I will lose the major networks since they are not encrypted. But I'm wondering if I'll lose ESPN-HD, Discovery-HD and FSN-HD b/c I'm not paying the additional $5 a month for "High Definition TV".
post #236 of 15286 Old 02-13-2007, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
IGNORE THIS...as Keenan notes, i didn't read the query carefully. so my "real response" is that yes, the original poster should indeed get all of those stations without paying the $5 fee.

....CUT HERE....

based on my limited experience, you will lose ESPN, Discovery and FSNHD, not because of the $5 HD fee, but because you dropped digital classic ($11.95) which authorizes you for channels beyond the locals. (this of course, is not exactly true if you were grandfathered in with the $5 HD box from a couple years back)

.....CUT HERE....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalblue View Post

Thought I'd share the pricing/programming quoted to me by the Comcast CSR this morning. I have a Tivo S3 with 2 CCs, Limited Basic and Digital Classic. My bill included the following charges:

Limited Basic: $14.77
Digital Classic: $11.95
High Definition TV: $5
HDTV Additional Service: $5
Digital Additional Outlet: $6.99

I called to get the last three items removed and replaced by the $1.50 for the 2nd CC. I was quoted $1.50 by two different CSR reps before the installation.

This morning, the CSR told me that without paying the $5 "High Definition TV" charge, I would not get any station in the 700 range (all of the HDTV content). I went ahead and had her remove it anyway, since I know that the networks are not encrypted. Has anyone else had this kind of conversation with Comcast?

I doubt I will lose the major networks since they are not encrypted. But I'm wondering if I'll lose ESPN-HD, Discovery-HD and FSN-HD b/c I'm not paying the additional $5 a month for "High Definition TV".

post #237 of 15286 Old 02-13-2007, 12:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

I don't think he was going to drop Digital Classic, just the last 3 fee charges. If he drops the last 3 he should still get everything he wants, at least that's the way it works up here. I think the CSRs are confused on how to actually bill him since he's not using one of their boxes.
post #238 of 15286 Old 02-13-2007, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
ah, yes. my bad. you're right. he should be good if he keeps digital classic.

Quote:

I don't think he was going to drop Digital Classic, just the last 3 fee charges. If he drops the last 3 he should still get everything he wants, at least that's the way it works up here. I think the CSRs are confused on how to actually bill him since he's not using one of their boxes.

post #239 of 15286 Old 02-13-2007, 03:05 PM

I apologize if this has been answered before, but I'm at work and I don't have time to read the entire thread.

I have HD service in Sonoma County, with a DVR hooked up via HDMI to a 40" LCD, and a D5.1 stereo. I'm thinking of adding Comcast broadband to my service because I'm not happy with my DSL service from Sonic.

Has anyone noticed a degraded service on the HD when they're using the broadband? Comcast, of course, denies that this would ever happen. First, sign the contract, then we'll tell you, right?
post #240 of 15286 Old 02-13-2007, 03:14 PM
c3
AVS Special Member

Huh? How can cable modem degrade HD service?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page