post #271 of 13897 Old 02-05-2007, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustdevil View Post

Like previous posters, I am also having trouble with WUSA-DT. The SB was unwatchable last night, and I'm still having problems tonight.

The odd thing is that all other OTA channels are coming in rock solid, while WUSA fluctuates between 10-70%.

I'm also seeing a weak signal for WUSA-DT 9. All the other stations are ok, but WUSA-DT is constantly breaking up. I think they must be having a broadcast problem on the digital signal tonight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 13897 Old 02-05-2007, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

With an indoor Terk Silver Sensor clone antenna in(side) a window facing in the general direction of DC, WAY out west of Dulles Aiport, I hosted a succesful and flawless OTA-viewed SuperBowl Party

The difference (other than non-susceptibility to wind) in my setup, compared to most you folks'? The glorious Series3 TiVo. Yes, the KoolAid is good, and my guests absolutely loved it too

Jokes aside, they definitely put a rock-solid OTA tuner in this baby. Good job, TiVo!

*ashu*
post #273 of 13897 Old 02-05-2007, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humnahey View Post

Watching it OTA. Definetly stretched SD on WBAL

Edit- Fixed now!

I was going to time shift it (on Comcast), but luckily I saw the beginning and was able to switch to WRC (OTA).

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #274 of 13897 Old 02-06-2007, 04:17 AM

I saw a similar ad last night where they squeezed a 16X9 to 4X3. Even the wife thought it looked funny. And during the SB, my buddy and I were both perplexed that they would show an ad for their news in SD. Doesn't make sense, so I suspect they had some kind of problem.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJKurtzke View Post

They just did a "Tonight at 11" promo in HD on their 7PM newscast, and I think it's the one that will air throughout the night, but we'll see.

I think they've been trying to get these in HD for a while, but something has been preventing them from doing so. (They tried squeezing a 16:9 image into the 4:3 frame for one of the promos last week)

post #275 of 13897 Old 02-06-2007, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneily View Post

I had an Encore Verizon technician at my house today to install FIOS TV. Unfortunately, I discontinued my FIOS Internet service two weeks ago, and just learned that I must have FIOS Internet to use FIOS TV !! This is unlike COMCAST cable, which has a "cafeteria plan" by which you can select cable internet or TV or both. It makes me wonder what people do if they have no computer or no desire for internet.

So I have put in a new order to resume FIOS internet, which will take two days to "flip the switch." Then I'll need to request that a technician return to complete the FIOS TV installation.

I'm not sure that the tech was correct. I think you can have TV without internet.
post #276 of 13897 Old 02-06-2007, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh400 View Post

I'm not sure that the tech was correct. I think you can have TV without internet.

The FiOS TV service is based on IPTV (Internet Protocol TV), where your STBs are basically IP addressable, so it makes sense that an Internet router would be needed for TV. But, I was under the impression that FiOS TV would provide the router whether or not you were actually subscribing to FiOS Internet.
post #277 of 13897 Old 02-06-2007, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Only the VOD portion of FIOS is IP based. But, yeah, I don't see why one couldn't have the TV service without the IP service. And with MOCA built into the new ONT you wouldn't even need the router.
post #278 of 13897 Old 02-06-2007, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Yeah, the TV portion of FiOS is still DOCIS like the CableTV, only its delivered via Fiber rather than COAX.

Going to sign up for Dish Network? PM me for a ClubDish referral number that will give you a $50 credit on your first bill.
post #279 of 13897 Old 02-06-2007, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Problems with INHD and MHD on Comcast Howard County. All other channels are okay. Big time breakup/meltdown.
post #280 of 13897 Old 02-06-2007, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Also bear in mind the issues of bandwidth. If you're not on one of their own networks there are a whole host of delays that can disrupt the service. Higher bandwidth applications like video will certainly benefit from being delivered through a controlled network. Both from a performance and a reliability standpoint. Unfortunately that also means getting stuck with Verizon's draconian restrictions against using your IP connection the way you choose.

If having FiosTV requires having Verizon internet we will NOT make the switch. That and several of our friends have left Verizon's DSL services (going to speakeasy) because they're had absolutely HORRIBLE support experiences from Verizon.

Verizon's just not a company worth trusting if you want actual choice, good service and reasonable treatment.
post #281 of 13897 Old 02-06-2007, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post

Verizon's just not a company worth trusting if you want actual choice, good service and reasonable treatment.

I'd have to disagree with that. Before verizon I had no choice in high speed internet or cable TV. It was either COX or Comcast depending on which part of Va I was in. Having been vary disappointed with both C. & C. basic bandwidth speeds and over all Cust. service (COX being the worst) I'm SO thankful for the option to choice Verizon.

The install went Perfect for once. My bandwidth speed is double that of COX for less $$. I also get a HD DVR box for the same price I was paying COX without one.

With all that said its nice just having one bill for the above and phone.
IMHO- Verizon may not be perfect but its better then the other cable options available in Va.
post #282 of 13897 Old 02-06-2007, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Also bear in mind the issues of bandwidth. If you're not on one of their own networks there are a whole host of delays that can disrupt the service. Higher bandwidth applications like video will certainly benefit from being delivered through a controlled network. Both from a performance and a reliability standpoint. Unfortunately that also means getting stuck with Verizon's draconian restrictions against using your IP connection the way you choose.

If having FiosTV requires having Verizon internet we will NOT make the switch. That and several of our friends have left Verizon's DSL services (going to speakeasy) because they're had absolutely HORRIBLE support experiences from Verizon.

I know this is a TV not an internet thread but I think it is important to respond. FIOS Internet and DSL are completely separate animals. We've had FIOS internet service for 14 months and haven't needed to deal with support because we've never had a single problem. This is completely different from our previous experience with Comcast which varied between bad and acceptable and dialup before that. We have the 15/2 internet service and using the speakeasy speed test we are routinely at 15.2 down and 1.8 up.

I would doubt that VZ requires FIOS internet to have FIOS TV but I think you would be pleased with FIOS internet service.
post #283 of 13897 Old 02-06-2007, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

wkearney, with FiOS, and ALL that unused bandwidth, VZ seems to have dropped all their draconian restrictions of the past.

I doubt even port 80/21 etc are blocked/disallowed! Run a web server. They don't care. Yet!

*ashu*
post #284 of 13897 Old 02-06-2007, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt View Post

The Samsung DTB-H260F is a digital only ATSC receiver which can also receive unscrambled digital QAM cable channels. All of those basic channels are either analog or scrambled on the digital simulcast. The H260F has no analog tuning capability. The DTB-H260F is specifically sold as a ATSC OTA receiver which has a throw-in capability for QAM. It is not a cable box.

If you want to get all the basic cable channels, you need a cable ready TV or analog tuner or if you want the digital channels beyond the local broadcast stations, a cable STB or a TV / STB with cable card capability.

C

I believe you previously answered a question of mine wherein I wondered why I was unable to tune in the Comcast Music Channels with the Samsung when several neighbors that have integrated ATSC/QAM/NTSC tuners are able to receive the music channels. I believe you stated it was because the cable Co uses a filter on my cable line.
Could it be because the Samsung does not have an NTSC tuner? The music channels are in the channel 107 range which I guess is for digital channels. As all of the neighbors and myself are on the same cable run[There are several boxes along the route which could indeed have a filter) I just think there is another answer and the only way I could know for sure is to connect an integrated tv with QAM tuning.
Thanks for your thoughts.
post #285 of 13897 Old 02-06-2007, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

9 is now running a promo advertiesing HDTV...in SD.
I guess they're also adopting more CBS mandates...they're using "We are" before everything ("We are CBS" was the slogan put on the promotional material at the 2006-2007 upfronts)
post #286 of 13897 Old 02-06-2007, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Compared to Comcast, that loses most of its thrust. At least in my experience anyway, down here in former Adelphia territory. Now, if we're talking in comparison to Cox, you may have a point. I hear nothing but good things about Cox and I have had a few hiccups with Verizon customer support since I switched to FiOS.

Anyway, as has been stated in this thread, Verizon FiOS and Verizon DSL are completely separate services. FiOS Internet is like cable broadband on crack.
post #287 of 13897 Old 02-06-2007, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyd79 View Post

Problems with INHD and MHD on Comcast Howard County. All other channels are okay. Big time breakup/meltdown.

No one else having this problem in Howard County? Or elsewhere?

I an loathe to deal with Comcast because they always assume every problem is at the customer end and don't bother checking for a systemic problem. And their solution is always to send out a repairman.
post #288 of 13897 Old 02-06-2007, 09:13 PM

i get the same problem for comcast in prince georges county. i get it late night early morning. i get it on discovery hd inhd mhd and espn2hd. my screen gets real pixelated and no sound. i called comcast and they reset box and it cleared up but started 5 min later. i think im get a new hd dvr box but i still havent watched all my recordings
post #289 of 13897 Old 02-07-2007, 03:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No one else having this problem in Howard County? Or elsewhere?

I an loathe to deal with Comcast because they always assume every problem is at the customer end and don't bother checking for a systemic problem. And their solution is always to send out a repairman.

That's because they usually are at the customer end.

GoIrish
post #290 of 13897 Old 02-07-2007, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
FiOS Construction Locations Feb 1st thru Feb 28th

Anne Arundel County Schedule:

http://www22.verizon.com/about/commu...acountyfeb.doc

Baltimore County Schedule:

http://www22.verizon.com/about/commu...es/bacofeb.doc

Howard County Schedule:

http://www22.verizon.com/about/commu...les/hcofeb.doc

Montgomery County Schedule:

http://www22.verizon.com/about/commu...es/mocofeb.doc

Prince George's County Schedule:

http://www22.verizon.com/about/commu...es/pgcofeb.doc

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #291 of 13897 Old 02-07-2007, 07:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 827
FIOS construction in VA(FEB2007)

Verizon Virginia Community Page

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #292 of 13897 Old 02-07-2007, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjim View Post

C

I believe you previously answered a question of mine wherein I wondered why I was unable to tune in the Comcast Music Channels with the Samsung when several neighbors that have integrated ATSC/QAM/NTSC tuners are able to receive the music channels. I believe you stated it was because the cable Co uses a filter on my cable line.
Could it be because the Samsung does not have an NTSC tuner? The music channels are in the channel 107 range which I guess is for digital channels. As all of the neighbors and myself are on the same cable run[There are several boxes along the route which could indeed have a filter) I just think there is another answer and the only way I could know for sure is to connect an integrated tv with QAM tuning.
Thanks for your thoughts.

There is another possible explanation. I know that Channel 107(Music channel) is using QAM (64) while most clear digital channels use QAM (256). It is possible that the Samsung tuner is not capable of decoding QAM (64). I use an LG LST-4200A which provides a good signal from Channel 107, as well as from all the other clear digital channels from Comcast Basic.
post #293 of 13897 Old 02-07-2007, 08:19 AM

I too am in Elkridge/Howard County, but have never seen TNT HD or Discovery HD in the clear. I only get a PBS, CBS, ABC, NBC and the Comcast Sports Net in HD (I get more digital channels, but they are SD, not HD). Recently, I rescanned, and now the channel assignments are somewhat garbled (PBS is showing up at 13-2 or 13-1, can't remember which one... but it definitely shouldn't be, and now CBS HD is missing. And, I started miraculously getting Fox HD at 45-2 (I only got Fox HD via OTA before)).

Anyways, other than ComcastSportsNet HD, I've never gotten anything other than the local OTAs (and even then, FOX HD hasn't typically been on my Comcast feed as unencrypted).

I have a Vizio VX37L set with NTSC/ ATSC/ QAM tuner built-in.
post #294 of 13897 Old 02-07-2007, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoIrish View Post

That's because they usually are at the customer end.

GoIrish

That is a pretty bad generalization. If they research the problem and find no issue, then it is at my end. You don't just ASSUME and cause a customer to sit out work to fix a problem that may or may not have a systemic cause.

But noooooo, Comcast just says, "We'll send out a tech." No checking to see if there is an issue on their end. Just knee-jerk.

Just like your unhelpful answer to my question.

What would cause two stations on MY box to go bad without a general fault?
post #295 of 13897 Old 02-07-2007, 09:45 AM

I have a question about getting FIOS channels in the clear. I recently cancelled the FIOS TV service and now only get OTA along with FIOS internet. I tried to see which FIOS channels I could get through QAM but was unable to get any through my old cable line. Can I get the FIOS channels in the clear if I only get their internet service? If so, how do I do this?

thanks in advance for any help
post #296 of 13897 Old 02-07-2007, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDDAVID View Post

Hello Hoyty..Do you have D* where you live? If so, how has your experience been with them? Currently i live in Columbia, but will be moving to Parkville in a few months,and already purchased the D* HR-20 HD DVR. I'm just waiting to move before I hook everything up.
Right now I have Comcast and get all the DC and Baltimore locals, but only the Baltimore locals in HD

When I lived in Crofton,MD. I also recived both Balt and DC channels. Now in Frederick with crappy Adelphia for now, hoping more HD channels will come soon.
post #297 of 13897 Old 02-07-2007, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopnoop View Post

I have a question about getting FIOS channels in the clear. I recently cancelled the FIOS TV service and now only get OTA along with FIOS internet. I tried to see which FIOS channels I could get through QAM but was unable to get any through my old cable line. Can I get the FIOS channels in the clear if I only get their internet service? If so, how do I do this?

thanks in advance for any help

No, you have to actually pay for them.

Unlike analog cable, Fios can be shut off at the software level without cutting the cable.
post #298 of 13897 Old 02-07-2007, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That is a pretty bad generalization. If they research the problem and find no issue, then it is at my end. You don't just ASSUME and cause a customer to sit out work to fix a problem that may or may not have a systemic cause.

But noooooo, Comcast just says, "We'll send out a tech." No checking to see if there is an issue on their end. Just knee-jerk.

An RF issue in your home, a bad box, ingress from a neighbor, a bad splitter. Those are some examples of what can be wrong.

My qualified generalization is based on experience and information.

You asked the general population of AVSForum if they have a problem such as yours. I didn't see any responses from any other Howard County customers affirming your same issue even though though there are many members from Howard County on this forum regularly. I get the same SA feed in Harford County and I have no problems.

To be a common problem affecting all customers as you want to infer, you don't think they would have repaired it ? Perhaps all the other customers in Howard County that have this issue sought the advice and counsel of people on the internet as well, rather than simply call the cable company. That could explain why they all have a problem and the company doesn't know about it and fixed it.

When I say that these types of issues are usually at the customer end it's because on a vast percentage basis they are. Yours certainly could be the exception to the rule, but we won't know that until you call the company for a service call.

GoIrish
post #299 of 13897 Old 02-07-2007, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I kept losing UHD and could not figure out why. I had it fine on one TV but the other it would show up for a few seconds then be gone for a while...I thought about calling Comcast to figure it out, but figured I needed to check something out...Guess what? The connector to the back of my box was a little loose. I tightened it up and BAM guess what I saw? Yup, UHD...

So, yes it can be at your end...And if there was an issue on their end, don't you think there would be more than 1 person calling in?

Arrive
Raise Hell
Leave
post #300 of 13897 Old 02-07-2007, 01:26 PM

First I wanted to post a more general link to Verizon's Maryland Construction page as a follow-up to Marcus Carr's post. Second according to a story in the Sun about the progress Verizon is making in Baltimore County. Lastly, can someone more familiar with the area tell me if the construction plans for Balt Co are anywhere near the Harford Rd / Parkville area? I am hoping to get FIOS sooner than later.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page