post #3121 of 13895 Old 09-23-2007, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiefan View Post

The signal looks much better at the antenna, which makes me think it might be cabling. I'll take a pic of the spectrum from my roof after the game today.

I am using this antenna from radio shack:
http://rsk.imageg.net/graphics/produ...265531w345.jpg

I have it pointed directly towards the DC stations, which is at 248degrees. The Baltimore stations are at 23degrees, but I get a pretty booming signal from them. I have the antenna mounted on my roof, which is probably about 20 feet off the ground. There is a big tree about 40 feet in front of it in the direction of DC. The house next door has aluminum siding and is about 20' away, due south (180degrees) of the antenna.

Even if your signals are a bit higher on the roof, the fact is that something is blocking or interfering with the DC stations. You can tell this because three of the Baltimore stations, 38, 40, and 46 are on the order of 10 dB higher than the DC stations. Reorienting the antenna might help, but you might have to move it...

BTW, it's nice to see that the highest signal level you are getting is from my station - WNUV channel 54!

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3122 of 13895 Old 09-23-2007, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbulla View Post

BTW, it's nice to see that the highest signal level you are getting is from my station - WNUV channel 54!

And I was going to recommend that he drop a notch on his analog 54 visual carrier if he decides to experiment with a preamp.
post #3123 of 13895 Old 09-23-2007, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt View Post

IIRC, the NFL is requiring that all NFL games in the 2008 season to be in HD. So this is the last season with several NFL SD games each week.

Thought that was 2009?

Edit: Nevermind...found engadget saying 2008.
post #3124 of 13895 Old 09-23-2007, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I saw earlier tonight that there were different games on WJLA-DT 7 and WMAR-DT 2 in Baltimore. After seeing your post, at 11:30 PM, the Iowa-Wisc game is in SD on WJLA-DT but is HD on WMAR-DT. Did the game on WJLA-DT go SD at or after 11 PM? Bet that someone at WJLA-DT on the late shift forgot to switch back to the HD feed from the network. For football fans in the region, this is why it is useful to put up an antenna, if they are in the broadcast range of both, to be able to get the networks from both cities.

It switched back to HD for the second half on WMAR. Sounds like they had some switching issues.
post #3125 of 13895 Old 09-23-2007, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by i5hawn View Post

Been an entire week, same problem with CBS, I guess I'll be calling to get a STB

I5shawn:

Had technicians come out to my house 3x this week.
The last guy was Comcast's top troubleshooter who showed up unannounced yesterday afternoon...pretty sharp guy.

We bypassed all splitters to eliminate any in home issues.
He confirmed there are intermittent signal drops on the freq carrying channel 212. This is causing the drop outs on our cable cards.

Note> STB's are not effected because of their internal amplifiers.

I suggest you call Comcast to complain and tell them you know of other people with the same problem.

Also, dont let them mess with your cable card.
a) Its not the cable card's problem
b) Comcast has a bunch of bad cable cards that don't work at all

It took 2 visits by technicians before they finally brought a card that worked in my Sony XBR1.

PM me if you want to discuss further.
post #3126 of 13895 Old 09-23-2007, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntAltMike View Post

And I was going to recommend that he drop a notch on his analog 54 visual carrier if he decides to experiment with a preamp.

Little known fact: WNUV 54 is the highest power commercial station in the state of MD (5 million watts ERP). Actually, that's the highest FCC licensed power available in the US.

There is one other station in MD that is also putting out 5 million watts. Anyone want to guess what it is?

Mark
post #3127 of 13895 Old 09-23-2007, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Even if your signals are a bit higher on the roof, the fact is that something is blocking or interfering with the DC stations. You can tell this because three of the Baltimore stations, 38, 40, and 46 are on the order of 10 dB higher than the DC stations. Reorienting the antenna might help, but you might have to move it...

Yea I was kind of surprised at the difference in signal level between channels on the spec-a. I played with changing the direction of the antenna (Az, elevation) but it appears to be in the optimal direction. The only thing I can think of is the large tree that is directly inbetween the antenna and the DC towers. Also there is a BGE residential service power line (single wire that runs pole to pole to a transformer) at about the same level as my antenna, between the antenna and DC towers, any chance that is blocking signal?

I attached a drawing of my house if it helps. Also the spectrums direct from the antenna on the roof, sorry the wide one is a little blurry.
LL
LL
LL
post #3128 of 13895 Old 09-23-2007, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 29
But all of those signals are too weak. Maybe you need a new balun.
post #3129 of 13895 Old 09-23-2007, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Little known fact: WNUV 54 is the highest power commercial station in the state of MD (5 million watts ERP). Actually, that's the highest FCC licensed power available in the US.

There is one other station in MD that is also putting out 5 million watts. Anyone want to guess what it is?

WMPT Annapolis?

hokiefan, you may need both a new balun and cabling...
post #3130 of 13895 Old 09-23-2007, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Before the Simpsons tonight WBFF said to "watch The Simpsons in HD on Comcast channel 213".

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #3131 of 13895 Old 09-23-2007, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiefan View Post

Yea I was kind of surprised at the difference in signal level between channels on the spec-a. I played with changing the direction of the antenna (Az, elevation) but it appears to be in the optimal direction. The only thing I can think of is the large tree that is directly inbetween the antenna and the DC towers. Also there is a BGE residential service power line (single wire that runs pole to pole to a transformer) at about the same level as my antenna, between the antenna and DC towers, any chance that is blocking signal?

The power line could be a problem if it is a major line close to the antenna. But you have the Radio Shack U-75R which I have tried. I have found it to be a very touchy antenna for the right aim, even for highly directional antenna. I compared it to the Channel Master 4221 4 Bay bowtie and the CM 4221 won handily for picking up stations both in DC and Baltimore even with the U-75R aimed at either city. The U-75R has the advantage of being lightweight and easy to set up, but I would recommend the CM 4221 or CM 4228 over it any day.

One thing you could try with your U-75R is tilt the aim upwards a bit if it is level.
post #3132 of 13895 Old 09-23-2007, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm watching WJZ DT on D* in SD instead of HD tonight.Anyone else with the same issue?
BTW I called WJZ and they said because the football game ran late CBS does not send out a HD signal. Does this sound right?
post #3133 of 13895 Old 09-23-2007, 09:14 PM

Quote:

The power line could be a problem if it is a major line close to the antenna. But you have the Radio Shack U-75R which I have tried. I have found it to be a very touchy antenna for the right aim, even for highly directional antenna. I compared it to the Channel Master 4221 4 Bay bowtie and the CM 4221 won handily for picking up stations both in DC and Baltimore even with the U-75R aimed at either city. The U-75R has the advantage of being lightweight and easy to set up, but I would recommend the CM 4221 or CM 4228 over it any day.

One thing you could try with your U-75R is tilt the aim upwards a bit if it is level.

Hokiefan, I've got a 4221 sitting on the floor here in Odenton that you're welcome to borrow if you want to try a quick antenna swap to test this theory before spending money/fooling with cable issues. Drop me a PM if you're interested, us Hokies gotta stick together!
post #3134 of 13895 Old 09-24-2007, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

BTW I called WJZ and they said because the football game ran late CBS does not send out a HD signal. Does this sound right?

Rethink:
How many prime-time network feeds was CBS sending yesterday causing this statement to be made? CBS did not even have the doubleheader this week. There were three regional games on at 4pm (Cle-Oak- the lone 4pm SD game, Jax-Den, Cin-Sea) one of which WJZ carried because the Ravens were on WBFF/WTTG at 1pm, another SD game, and a CBS game usually cannot be shown against it in Baltimore.

Perhaps next year, when the NFL's mandate about HD kicks in, this will no longer be the case and the infrastructure will be there.
post #3135 of 13895 Old 09-24-2007, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

Let me guess? WBFF?

Going to sign up for Dish Network? PM me for a ClubDish referral number that will give you a $50 credit on your first bill.
post #3136 of 13895 Old 09-24-2007, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDO+WESTY=1080p View Post

had same problem, buy a motorola signal booster from circuit city I live in manassas and I can pick up all the DC HD's

Well I picked up a new indoor antenna, reception was no better no worse. I spent a great amount of time moving that antenna around, change the direction I am aiming it etc....

So i ordered the motorola signal booster, hopefully that will solve the problem.
post #3137 of 13895 Old 09-24-2007, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Michigan State at Notre Dame on Saturday, on WRC-DT looked horrible. Has anyone else noticed this? NBC seems to do the worst job of covering football in HD. Or was it the aforementioned widescreen SD?
post #3138 of 13895 Old 09-24-2007, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

NBC games have been panned for years. They just don't get it.

So its not your set, its them

Going to sign up for Dish Network? PM me for a ClubDish referral number that will give you a $50 credit on your first bill.
post #3139 of 13895 Old 09-24-2007, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemikeb View Post

WMPT Annapolis?

hokiefan, you may need both a new balun and cabling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneGT View Post

Let me guess? WBFF?

It is WMPT in Annapolis. And since they are at a lower frequency than me, their 5 million watts goes further than my 5 million watts...

Then again, my antenna is 153 meters (about 502 feet) higher than theirs, above sea level.

Mark
post #3140 of 13895 Old 09-24-2007, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knicks_Fan View Post

Rethink:
How many prime-time network feeds was CBS sending yesterday causing this statement to be made? CBS did not even have the doubleheader this week. There were three regional games on at 4pm (Cle-Oak- the lone 4pm SD game, Jax-Den, Cin-Sea) one of which WJZ carried because the Ravens were on WBFF/WTTG at 1pm, another SD game, and a CBS game usually cannot be shown against it in Baltimore.

Perhaps next year, when the NFL's mandate about HD kicks in, this will no longer be the case and the infrastructure will be there.

That's the reason that they didn't have HD then - CBS was doing their regular HD programming at the regular time, but WJZ had to time-shift the programming due to the second football game, and apparently, they, like us, have no way to time-shift HD programming... (currently...)

Mark
post #3141 of 13895 Old 09-24-2007, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post

Before the Simpsons tonight WBFF said to "watch The Simpsons in HD on Comcast channel 213".

My Sinclair Fox station does the same thing, and even runs "WANT TO SEE FOX 53 in HDTV? CALL 1-800-COMCAST!" in the news ticker during their 10 PM news. Everytime I see that I think, "That's funny, I'm watching it now without them."

The My Network station, which is the other half of the Sinclair twinstick operation, shows their Comcast slot during promos.
post #3142 of 13895 Old 09-24-2007, 10:26 AM

Quote:

I was in Columbia this past weekend visiting a friend, and decided to bring my WinTV HVR-950 to see what I could pick up. Not only could I pick up yours, but all of the Baltimore DTVs with the little antenna Hauppauge provides with some problems with WUTB.
post #3143 of 13895 Old 09-24-2007, 11:19 AM

Anyone having problems getting WJZ working through a windows media center?

I have perfect signal and it suddenly stopped working a few weeks ago.

I can see it with other HD tuners, but not through Windows MCE.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Thanks.

Knowledge is the best democratizer.
post #3144 of 13895 Old 09-24-2007, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK77 View Post

Not only could I pick up yours, but all of the Baltimore DTVs with the little antenna Hauppauge provides with some problems with WUTB.

I was able to pick up WUTB-DT here in Germantown last week, it was weak though (both in signal strength and content)

post #3145 of 13895 Old 09-24-2007, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Warning for Verizon Fios subscribers: Guide data messed up today for NBC HD in Washington Metro area

Heads up for any Washington Metro region Verizon Fios subscribers planning to record Heroes or the two new NBC shows in HD tonight on the Fios 6416 DVR. The guide data for for WRC-DT NBC 4 on channel 807 is off by a half-hour. It has the series premiere of Chuck starting at 8:30 PM ET, season premiere of Heroes at 9:30 PM, Journeyman at 10:30 PM. The guide in fact is off by 1/2 hour for channel 807 for the entire day. This 1/2 hour error is for 807 only as far as I can tell as the times for HD ABC, CBS, Fox and SD channel for WRC on channel 4 are correct. The guide for 807 goes back to the correct time after midnight for Conan at 12:30 AM ET and is correct for tomorrow. Looks like people will need to set manual recording times for the 6416 if they want the full hour of Heroes tonight. I like the picture quality and net speed for Fios, but yet another screwup in the guide data, this one for a major network on the day the new fall season really starts up.
post #3146 of 13895 Old 09-24-2007, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Do any of you use indoor antennas? If so, which one?

I live in Potomac, MD and want to try a few.
post #3147 of 13895 Old 09-24-2007, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK77 View Post

I was in Columbia this past weekend visiting a friend, and decided to bring my WinTV HVR-950 to see what I could pick up. Not only could I pick up yours, but all of the Baltimore DTVs with the little antenna Hauppauge provides with some problems with WUTB.

WUTB-DT and WUTB-TV both come off of the WNUV tower in Catonsville. It's off of Rt. 40, just on the other side of the Patapsco River from Howard County, so it's not really surprising that you cam pick it up in Columbia. It is kinda surprising that it was picked up in Germantown, though. WUTB doesn't yet have their full power transmitter in.

Mark
post #3148 of 13895 Old 09-24-2007, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

I made some changes in my basement and moved my HT into a different room with all new cable runs. The new location is a bit further from my "distribution center" where everything comes into the house. I have not moved the controller unit for the OT antenna rotor yet, though. I have a couple of questions first:

1) The original run isn't long enough to reach the new location. Am I right in assuming a splice isn't going to be a problem?

2) What gauge of cable is needed? The existing piece looks pretty thin. There seems to be 4 strands, but two of them go into the same connection on the back of the unit. Do I need all four (I don't know how they are connected at the antenna end on the roof).

3) Can I use four-wire phone cable? Or, even better, I have a run of cat 5 already going to the area behind the TV. I just hooked it up to the ethernet port on my Dish VIP-622, and it works fine. Ethernet only uses 4 of the 8 wires in a cat 5 cable. Can I just splice into the other 4 without degrading my ethernet (622 use only for that cable) or the controller box signals?

-Chris
post #3149 of 13895 Old 09-24-2007, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I think that #3 is a big no no. I don't think that twisted pair is going to like the contoller signals on neigboring pairs. But hey, it only lasts during the rotation right? hehe.

I used some "alarm" wire which my builders had run up to the attic when my house was being built. It wasn't much more than phone line with a solid core (not that thin braided stuff). I think, mine uses 3 wires, but if you only have two currently connected and it works, I can't see why it would stop if you continued to use the same two.

post #3150 of 13895 Old 09-24-2007, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

I think you misunderstood me. All four wires are in use, but two of them are twisted together and connected to the same jack so there are only three distinct "signals".

-Chris
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page