post #541 of 13897 Old 02-20-2007, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVJunkyMonkey View Post

When I had Cox, they told me that all the HD channels are free, you are just paying for the HD STB if you do get one. So, if you had HBO, for instance, you will get HBO HD at no charge, which is true.

Also, when my friend first got his HDTV, he asked me to help him to set it up right. Cox gave him a regular box, not the HD one, but when I decided to hook up the coax to the back of his HDTV, he got some HD channels, all the local ones. He even got Showtime and Discovery HD (he didn't even have showtime subscription).

I have FIOS and no matter what I do, I can't get passed channel 49 without a STB, and we all know why.

But you won't get that HBO HD in the clear - you need an STB. Anything you get in clear QAM above the locals is an oversight by the cable co.

FIOS is designed that way and the rest of the cable cos will get to the same config soon enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 13897 Old 02-20-2007, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by VARTV View Post

The Sinclair station in SE VA does the same thing. It, too, makes me watch another channel...

Out of curiosity, are they still doing that? Apparently, the director of engineering for Sinclair sent them an e-mail yesterday telling them not to do the stretching thing any more...

Mark

Mark
post #543 of 13897 Old 02-20-2007, 06:00 PM

Does anyone have a pdf file of the new Verizon FiOS lineup that was mailed about a month ago?

I want to send it to FiOS the next time I call, because they sound like they've never heard of such a thing.
post #544 of 13897 Old 02-20-2007, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does anyone have a pdf file of the new Verizon FiOS lineup that was mailed about a month ago?
I want to send it to FiOS the next time I call, because they sound like they've never heard of such a thing.

What, you want the CSRs to know anything beyond the few scripted pages sitting in front of them? What good is that going to do? I called Verizon back in early January about the lack of captioning for UnivHD and WDCA-DT 20 on 805. I did get a call back, but I did not get a sense that the CSR had a clue about what I was complaining about. They have knowledgable people, but they are probably keeping them busy building out the system, not answering the phones.

Checking the Verizon website, they have not yet updated the PDF channel line-up for the Washington Metro area. I think we all got the new channel line-up snailed mailed to us, so probably no one has a PDF file for the new Washington Metro line-up. If you want the channels, you could go to the NY line-up which will be the almost the same except for the SD & HD locals and the regional sports networks.
post #545 of 13897 Old 02-20-2007, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carltonrice View Post

Now that VZ FiOS is available to me, I'm trying to compare the features to those of DirecTV, my current provider. There are two areas where I'm not sure what FiOS has to offer.

With my DirecTV HR20 DVR, I get both programming from the satellite as well as OTA. This works out well because while DirecTV will only provide me with DC stations, I can also pick up Baltimore via an antenna. With VZ FiOS, can I assume that I would only receive DC stations as offerred and that there would be no way to watch/record things OTA?

You list your location as Laurel, MD so you may get both the DC and Baltimore HD locals. But you need to check with others who live in Laurel or with Verizon on whether you qualify for the Anne Arundel - Howard County line-up.

Do you own or lease the HR20 DVR? If you own it, you can still use it for OTA reception and recording after you drop DirecTV. Or buy a Series 3 Tivo, a used Sony DHG-HDD250 or -HDD500 DVR, or build a PC DVR. Or wait a few months for some new HD-DVRs to hit the market.

Quote:
DirecTV has yet to offer Comcast Sportsnet HD. Should I assume that since this is part of Comcast, that FiOS also doesn't offer it?

Fios carries Comcast SportsNet MA and MASN in SD. Fios in the Philadelphia area has the CSN Philly HD RSN. CSN MA HD is expected to added to the DC area line-ups soon. How soon? Don't know.

Quote:
FiOS has a DVR that can power multiple sets, but only one of those can be HD. I have two HD sets so I'd have to have two HD DVRs. Is that correct?

For the current software, yes. The multi-room DVR only supports SD for the other TVs connected to the STBs. They are supposed to add HD capability from the DVR to the other STBs with software updates later this year. I should add that the Verizon Fios 6416 HD-DVR works, but it is limited by a 160 GB HD. The external SATA port which would allow adding more HD capacity is not enabled, although it is also supposed to be enabled later this year with a software update. I find the 160 GB HD capacity of around 22 to 25 hours of HD to be the biggest drawback. They should be shipping these DVRs with 250 GB HDs if they are not going have the eSATA port enabled.

Quote:
I think the advantage of the FiOS would be that they offer StarzHD, TMCHD, and CinemaxHD. And they offer some locals like NewsChannel8 and access that DirecTV doesn't. The advantage of DirecTV would be that they offer NBAHD and apparently have plans to offer a lot more HD soon.
Am I missing anything of note?

Yes. Picture quality for SD and HD channels will be better. I switched from Adelphia in Loudoun, so I don't have the hands-on experience with DirecTV. But you should notice better picture quality for all the Mpeg-2 channels.
post #546 of 13897 Old 02-20-2007, 08:34 PM

Any other Comcast DC subscribers find their MyDVR button suddenly nonfunctional this evening?

I can get to the DVR recordings by hitting Menu, then DVR of course.

Firmware is 12.31 - is this the "upgrade" that destroys the one-click access to the Recordings list? What genius ever thought this up?

I unplugged and replugged, but alas nothing's changed.

On the flip side, for the first time I'm seeing guide listings for WETA World (channel 202). Of course, the listings aren't *RIGHT*, but they're there. The other two WETAs (Channels 200 and WETA Kids on 201) still show nothing but To Be Announced.

ETA: The Moto 3412 thread tonight is seeming to indicate this is widespread.

Moto 3412 Discussion
post #547 of 13897 Old 02-20-2007, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by carltonrice View Post

DirecTV has yet to offer Comcast Sportsnet HD. Should I assume that since this is part of Comcast, that FiOS also doesn't offer it?

Verizon doesn't have it yet.

DirecTV has it in a limited DC market area. Laurel is kind of a gray area.

Go to this link and see what it says:

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global...setId=P3000004
post #548 of 13897 Old 02-20-2007, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt View Post

Do you own or lease the HR20 DVR? If you own it, you can still use it for OTA reception and recording after you drop DirecTV.

I haven't tried but I believe that you need a satellite dish to download data or the HR20 won't finish booting. I'd try dbstalk.com to see if it would work without an active account.
post #549 of 13897 Old 02-20-2007, 09:12 PM

Quote:

If you want the channels, you could go to the NY line-up which will be the almost the same except for the SD & HD locals and the regional sports networks.

I wanted the PDF of NoVA so I can send it to them, they keep telling me that they don't know about the channel, or that it must've been a typo. I had a print out sent to me via snail-mail but I didn't keep it, along with it was a letter telling me I will be getting CSN HD.

The funny thing is that people in Delaware now have CSN HD (Mid Atlantic).
post #550 of 13897 Old 02-20-2007, 09:25 PM

Anybody know why ABC Ch. 2 WMAR did not broadcast Boston Legal in HD tonight via OTA?
post #551 of 13897 Old 02-20-2007, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacindc View Post

Any other Comcast DC subscribers find their MyDVR button suddenly nonfunctional this evening?

I can get to the DVR recordings by hitting Menu, then DVR of course.

Firmware is 12.31 - is this the "upgrade" that destroys the one-click access to the Recordings list? What genius ever thought this up?[/url]

Same thing in Baltimore with the 3412 and 3416.

Hitting My DVR and OK brings up the recordings also. So now what was one step is now two.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #552 of 13897 Old 02-21-2007, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbulla View Post

Out of curiosity, are they still doing that? Apparently, the director of engineering for Sinclair sent them an e-mail yesterday telling them not to do the stretching thing any more...

Mark

Hahaha. They did change it again! WTVZ had stretch-o-vision on 33-1 and nothing (previously The Tube) on 33-2. Now it's zoom-o-vision on 33-1 and 4:3 480i SD on 33-2...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: editor@VARTV.com
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

post #553 of 13897 Old 02-21-2007, 05:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Do you own or lease the HR20 DVR? If you own it, you can still use it for OTA reception and recording after you drop DirecTV. Or buy a Series 3 Tivo, a used Sony DHG-HDD250 or -HDD500 DVR, or build a PC DVR. Or wait a few months for some new HD-DVRs to hit the market.

Any DVR from D* will not work unless you have an active account. The receivers WILL work as just OTA receivers without an account.

Deezul

Xbox 360: Deezul AwT
HDTV since 2004, 3D since 2011
Go Jackets!
post #554 of 13897 Old 02-21-2007, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
For FIOS in Howard County - last night it didn't look like any of the Balt/DC stations were broadcasting in HD, channels 800 - 814. Did anyone else experience this?
Verizon wasn't showing any other reported problems of this nature. Resetting the boxes didn't have any effect.
post #555 of 13897 Old 02-21-2007, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post

Hitting My DVR and OK brings up the recordings also. So now what was one step is now two.

Trying unplugging your DVR and rebooting the box. After you do that go to the DVR using the menu button on your remote. This is apparently a national problem with TV guide that is being worked on.
post #556 of 13897 Old 02-21-2007, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by indishock View Post

Trying unplugging your DVR and rebooting the box. After you do that go to the DVR using the menu button on your remote. This is apparently a national problem with TV guide that is being worked on.

I'm going to wait a few days to see if they fix it. I can still get to my recordings. I'd rather not unplug the box if I don't have to because it takes forever for the guide data to load.

I called Comcast and a recorded message said they were working on it.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #557 of 13897 Old 02-21-2007, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

The phenomenon appears to be comcast-wide throughout the country. Someone posted a link to a DSLReports discussion last night. Users have reported that unplugging results in a temp fix that becomes "unfixed" after the guide data fully loads again. Fortunately, many have reported that the saved content remains on the hard drive.

YMMV

"Typos are very important to all written form. It gives the reader something to look for so they aren't distracted by the total lack of content in your writing."

- Randy K. Milholland
post #558 of 13897 Old 02-21-2007, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmccaffrey View Post

For FIOS in Howard County - last night it didn't look like any of the Balt/DC stations were broadcasting in HD, channels 800 - 814. Did anyone else experience this?

Yes, apparently everyone who's supposed to get Baltimore locals. Check out the thread in the Fios TV forum over on DSLReports.com.

Quote:

Verizon wasn't showing any other reported problems of this nature.

BS. They just don't have any reps who know how to take a report properly.

57 channels and nothing on
post #559 of 13897 Old 02-21-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike6by9 View Post

The phenomenon appears to be comcast-wide throughout the country. Someone posted a link to a DSLReports discussion last night. Users have reported that unplugging results in a temp fix that becomes "unfixed" after the guide data fully loads again. Fortunately, many have reported that the saved content remains on the hard drive.

YMMV

I just unplugged my DVR and it has resolved the issue. My recording are still there ...
post #560 of 13897 Old 02-21-2007, 02:03 PM

I've recently purchased a HDTV w/ a QAM tuner. I've looked all around for a list of the stations that Comcast (in DC) is broadcasting in clear QAM. The list at the beginning of this thread covers the NBC/CBS/etc channels. But what about the remainder? If there someplace that has a list? I realize that the list might be small, but I'm curious what else is out there.

THanks
Matt

PS I have looked around the various Washington DC threads here, but didn't see one.
post #561 of 13897 Old 02-21-2007, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneGT View Post

Yeah, the TV portion of FiOS is still DOCIS like the CableTV, only its delivered via Fiber rather than COAX.

Does anyone know if it's possible to pick up any channels via QAM from the coax if you only have FiOS Internet and not FiOS TV? I'm locked in to E* for 18 months, and I think the 622 is probably a better whole-house solution than the VZ DVR anyway. I just have a couple of QAM tuners available, and might give it a try if there's a chance.

-Chris
post #562 of 13897 Old 02-21-2007, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Matt,

The QAM in the clear stations vary from location to location. Also the channel numbers can change without warning. Admistratively, its too much of a nightmare to keep track of. Ever once in a while, someone will post the list that they are receiving. Comcast DC would likely be one of those lists, but it would require some searching (which isn't that easy on this site).

Chris, Hmm. I haven't heard if that is possible. I have FiOS internet and a QAM tuner on my MyHD-130. But since FiOS isn't available here in Mont County, I haven't even bothered to try. Perhaps I'll look up my ONT to the house's cable feed and see what I get.

Going to sign up for Dish Network? PM me for a ClubDish referral number that will give you a $50 credit on your first bill.
post #563 of 13897 Old 02-21-2007, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

New Verizon FiosTV Channel Line-up posted

The updated Verizon FiosTV channel line-up PDF file for the Washington Metro area has been posted to the Version website (http://www22.verizon.com/content/fio...nel+lineup.htm). It now has the new channel assignments with the HD national channels starting at 825. However, this line-up does NOT show Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic HD at 829 or any CSN HD channel there. Since the date at the bottom of the PDF file is 3/1/07, I take this to mean that CSN-MA-HD won't be added to the line-up until sometime in March at the earliest. I suspect Verizon won't be adding any new national HD channels or RSN HD channels until after they have completed the channel re-assignments for all their regions with Texas the last to be done on March 6.
post #564 of 13897 Old 02-21-2007, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

New Verizon FiosTV Channel Line-up posted

The updated Verizon FiosTV channel line-up PDF file for the Washington Metro area has been posted to the Version website (http://www22.verizon.com/content/fio...nel+lineup.htm). It now has the new channel assignments with the HD national channels starting at 825. However, this line-up does NOT show Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic HD at 829 or any CSN HD channel there. Since the date at the bottom of the PDF file is 3/1/07, I take this to mean that CSN-MA-HD won't be added to the line-up until sometime in March at the earliest. I suspect Verizon won't be adding any new national HD channels or RSN HD channels until after they have completed the channel re-assignments for all their regions with Texas the last to be done on March 6.

With all the reorganization, why couldn't they put the HD channels in the right order? NBC should be 801, followed by Fox, etc.
post #565 of 13897 Old 02-21-2007, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Clancy View Post

With all the reorganization, why couldn't they put the HD channels in the right order? NBC should be 801, followed by Fox, etc.

or for that matter NBC should be at 804...Fox at 805...ABC at 807 and so on...but I guess it would be asking too much out of Verizon and its engineers and programmers.
post #566 of 13897 Old 02-21-2007, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4HiMarks View Post

Does anyone know if it's possible to pick up any channels via QAM from the coax if you only have FiOS Internet and not FiOS TV? I'm locked in to E* for 18 months, and I think the 622 is probably a better whole-house solution than the VZ DVR anyway. I just have a couple of QAM tuners available, and might give it a try if there's a chance.

-Chris

Unlike the cables cos which have to filter out other content when one of the services is provided, FIOS can do so remotely without filters - they just flip a switch. The only way you'd get any video service (regardless of what other service is in the fiber pipe) is if their people made a mistake and forgot to turn it off. There's only one way that you might get more than intended - you might get more than just basic when you order basic.
post #567 of 13897 Old 02-21-2007, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

or for that matter NBC should be at 804...Fox at 805...ABC at 807 and so on...but I guess it would be asking too much out of Verizon and its engineers and programmers.

LOL. NY and LA already do that for FiOS channel numbers.
NBC is 804, FOX is 805, etc.
post #568 of 13897 Old 02-21-2007, 05:51 PM

Update for western side of Sterling Blvd & Sugarland residents..

I went to the actual Verizon CO (NOT-HRNDVAST).building on the corner of Potomac View & Rt 7, That serves the western side of Sterling Blvd & Sugarland, to find out If they are capable of provided Fiber Optics and if they were, when are they going to lay the lines.

I was told that the construction plans show that the western side of Sterling Blvd "should" be completed by August 2007 & Sugarland would be done by 12/31/2007..

I was also told that they are having some problems with some new underground switching that is being installed at the building. (Which i witnessed new construction at the Building)

So I just wanted to bring some encouraging news to some of us that live in Sterling.

Charlie
post #569 of 13897 Old 02-21-2007, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbulla View Post

Ah - I see you're from VA. Up here in MD, WBAL (channel 11 in Baltimore) stretches all of their SD programming horizontally. Not all the way to 16:9, but close.

I don't think that anyone has gotten a good answer as to why they do that. The only answer I remember seeing is that their viewers preferred it that way. It makes me watch another channel, except for during prime-time.

Mark

I too watch another channel, even in prime time. The stretch on WBAL stinks. Plus WRC 4 in DC has 5.1 sound. Thank god for OTA.
post #570 of 13897 Old 02-21-2007, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post

3416? Did you have to request it, or did you just happen to get it? I would love to have an extra 40gb.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page