post #31 of 13863 Old 01-23-2007, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones73 View Post

I will try mailing the person who responded to me from WBAL today when I get to work in the morning, I don't have the address at home. I contacted them via the form on their website this morning and got a response fairly quick and also a follow up when they had the PSIP generator back online.

I did the same and got no response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 13863 Old 01-24-2007, 02:35 AM

Liked: 11
I wonder if WBAL's PSIP problems have anything to do with why my Media Center box thought it recorded Heroes but somehow spit out an empty file.

Didn't get any warning about signal loss or system problems, and I could still watch 11-1 OTA live. Strange.

"Real Stupidiy beats Artificial Intelligence every time" - Douglas Adams

The canine couch warmers: Dakota "Derp Dog" Jones, Gadget (the gidget widget), Dixie Marie-Doodle, Ronnie James, and Carl
The feline overlords: My wife, a.k.a. "Kitten", Sweet Pea, The Poof, Fat Tony, and David "Babycat" Tennant.
post #33 of 13863 Old 01-24-2007, 03:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by subwoofer View Post

Will this be for Comcast subscribers in Harford county?

I really wish that I had OTA DishTV since they have so many HD channels and I also wish that I had Verizon FIOS for their 15Mbps internet connection. Hopefully Comcast will step it up over the next few months or they will start losing subscribers.

Comcast Harford Co. customers already have those channels.

GoIrish
post #34 of 13863 Old 01-24-2007, 05:30 AM

Mike,

You DO come across like that! An example is your "help" to Robert Forsyth by telling a station engineer how to encode his DT streams last Nov and not letting go of it. And then calling his 7-3 "vaporware" is just down right rude. The fact that he posts anything here at all is his way of feeding the DT junkies like us and your pushing him on engineering and calling him out as vaporware are not going to endear him to post anything more and give us heads up of what is going on.

And then the "gravity" threads were a little out there.

Anyway, why is it necessary to try and hijack the thread. Go start another if this one doesn't work for you.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemikeb View Post

I do thank CycloneGT for his original post. I doubt my list could be done without his.

Sorry if I came across like that. I don't intend to be one; I just want to help people.

post #35 of 13863 Old 01-24-2007, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 150
I'm also not getting audio on 11.1 or 11.2. I didn't discover the channel was missing until I tuned into the last part of Studio 60 and found I had a blank screen on all three of my HDTivos. I ended up missing Heroes and Studio 60 as a result. I found the predecessor thread to this one yesterday and discovered the PSIP issue. I then rescanned all of my local channels on all three HDTivos and can now receive 11.1 and 11.2, but still no audio as of last night. Fortunately, I also have a Channel Master 4228 aimed at DC so I changed over all of my HDTivo season passes for 11.1 to WRC-4 (4.1) until they get the problem ironed out. Apparently WBAL is still having issues that have not been resolved yet.
post #36 of 13863 Old 01-24-2007, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

Fortunately, I also have a Channel Master 4228 aimed at DC so I changed over all of my HDTivo season passes for 11.1 to WRC-4 (4.1) until they get the problem ironed out. Apparently WBAL is still having issues that have not been resolved yet.

I am not currently setup to get WRC but I may have to consider it if WBAL can't get their act together (and if they don't stop doing that dumb stretch thing on SD broadcasts).
post #37 of 13863 Old 01-24-2007, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdyoung View Post

I was going to post this as response to Washington Post story about the guy's $1,399 HDTV, but the thread was closed before I could get to it. I thought this was funny as well.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/features...ome-columnists

That's just plain mean .... hehehehe

"Typos are very important to all written form. It gives the reader something to look for so they aren't distracted by the total lack of content in your writing."

- Randy K. Milholland
post #38 of 13863 Old 01-24-2007, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

1. Is 2-3 a weather radar only like 9-2, or is it a multipurpose channel like 7-2 / Doug Hill's WeatherNow?

I haven't looked at 7-2 in a while, but channel 2-3 is called "WeatherNet Digital", and has the seven day forecast at the bottom, current temps at different locations on the left, and a window at the right that has different things - local radar, "live" forecasts, national radar, local and national temperature maps, etc., so it's probably more like 7-2 than 9-2.

Mark

Mark
post #39 of 13863 Old 01-24-2007, 08:24 AM

I recently picked up Radio Shack's $50 Model 15-1892 indoor antenna and, to my surprise, it really works great! I live in the Olney, MD area in a townhouse and my home theater room is on the first floor. With the antenna hooked up to my Sony KDF-60XS955 I pick up the following HD stations without a problem:

2.1 WMAR
4.1 WRC
5.1 WTTG
7.1 WJLA
9.1 WUSA
13.1 WJZ
20.1 WDCA
45.1 FOX45
50.1 WDCW
54.1 WNUV

I used to have Comcast's dual-tuner HD STB, the Motorola DCT6412. Being much more of a DVD/HD DVD watcher than a TV watcher (and, like many, not being a huge fan of Comcast's high prices and poor customer service), I had been contemplating dropping Comcast for some time -- So when my Motorola box started acting up again (I was already on my third one), I decided to take the plunge and cancel my Comcast service. I had been and still am considering getting Verizon FIOS TV when it becomes availabvle in my area, but I thought I'd give an indoor antenna a shot in the meantime. I honestly did not expect it to work as well as it does.
post #40 of 13863 Old 01-24-2007, 08:38 AM

I've noticed som audio dropouts on Fox HD (5.1) on 24 the last couple of weeks. I've upgraded to the D* H20-700 DVR so that may have something to do with it, but I was curious if anybody else was having any issues. I've never had issues with FOX before.
post #41 of 13863 Old 01-24-2007, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerdms View Post

I've noticed som audio dropouts on Fox HD (5.1) on 24 the last couple of weeks. I've upgraded to the D* H20-700 DVR so that may have something to do with it, but I was curious if anybody else was having any issues. I've never had issues with FOX before.

I assume you ARE talking about OTA 5.1, not the DirecTV rebroadcast HD version? I don't know the specs on that (so-called, but that's my opinion ) "DVR". Does it have an OTA tuner? Do the discussions relating to that piece of hardware make any comparisons of the quality of the OTA tuner?

FWIW, I'm picking up flawless 5.1 OTA with a little Terk Silver Sensor clone on my S3 TiVo's OTA tuner.

*ashu*
post #42 of 13863 Old 01-24-2007, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

badgerdms,

Yeah, I had similar A/V issues during American Idol last night with a non-D* OTA receiver, but I thought it was multipath-related. 24 came in cleanly for me.

The funny thing is that in Houston, another Fox-owned station has had similar issues, where one receiver seems to have audio dropouts, while others have no issues. Odd.

jimrobinette,

Yeah, I remember that 30fps thinger. I brought it up twice, maybe three times, and after he knocked the idea down I didn't bring it up again. 7-3 served a decent purpose for a while, and I do appreciate his efforts, both at the station and in these threads. Yet, he did promise something different for 7-3 a long time ago, and it didn't come for all that time. The "vaporware" thing was more of a playful thing than you would think, as I sort of believed him that it would come today, and it would be good if it did. I wonder how the product, whatever it might be, will be received here. Do people like sports, and would they watch that kind of a subchannel? Or is it going to be of something else? Hmmmm....
post #43 of 13863 Old 01-24-2007, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm also not getting audio on 11.1 or 11.2. I didn't discover the channel was missing until I tuned into the last part of Studio 60 and found I had a blank screen on all three of my HDTivos. I ended up missing Heroes and Studio 60 as a result. I found the predecessor thread to this one yesterday and discovered the PSIP issue. I then rescanned all of my local channels on all three HDTivos and can now receive 11.1 and 11.2, but still no audio as of last night. Fortunately, I also have a Channel Master 4228 aimed at DC so I changed over all of my HDTivo season passes for 11.1 to WRC-4 (4.1) until they get the problem ironed out. Apparently WBAL is still having issues that have not been resolved yet.

WBAL is still working on their PSIP issue. Right now, I don't have 11-1 or 11-2 at all, but it's coming in fine on 59-1 and 59-2 with audio.

Apparently, their PSIP generator is more of a pain than mine is to set up (and mine's not easy...)...

Mark

Mark
post #44 of 13863 Old 01-24-2007, 10:52 AM

Hey all, I'm a student at Georgetown University, on the 8th floor of a dorm (my windows face basically due East). I have a Sceptre X42 HDTV, and I'm trying to receive OTA HD channels. However, no matter what I try, I can only get reception for 6 channels:

26-1 W26HD
26-2 WETA2
26-3 WETA3
26-4 WETA4
50-1 WDCW-DT
50-2 WDCW-D2

I have tried with a GE Optima Antenna, and more recently, with a Phillips Silver Sensor. I can't get more than these same 6 channels no matter what I try. I've tried moving the antenna around to face different directions, messing with the rabbit ears on the Optima, etc. I don't get it...I'm basically in the heart of a big city, shouldn't I be able to get more channels than this? I saw a lot more on AntennaWeb. I'd at least like to get the networks, so I could watch some primetime shows and sports in HD. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
post #45 of 13863 Old 01-24-2007, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:

WBAL is still working on their PSIP issue. Right now, I don't have 11-1 or 11-2 at all, but it's coming in fine on 59-1 and 59-2 with audio.

How do you tune to 59-1 or 59-2? I have HDTivos and they scan for OTA channels and set them up based on the VHF appended channels (i.e. ch 11, 13, etc.) and not the actual UHF channels.
post #46 of 13863 Old 01-24-2007, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

How do you tune to 59-1 or 59-2? I have HDTivos and they scan for OTA channels and set them up based on the VHF appended channels (i.e. ch 11, 13, etc.) and not the actual UHF channels.

On the Samsung receiver I have in my office I just type in "59" on the remote, and viola! there it is. If the PSIP is correct, the receiver will know that it's on "channel 11" from then on.

This process works on my Dish receiver at home, as well.

Mark

Mark
post #47 of 13863 Old 01-24-2007, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornyank1 View Post

Hey all, I'm a student at Georgetown University, on the 8th floor of a dorm (my windows face basically due East). ... I'm trying to receive OTA HD channels. However, no matter what I try, I can only get reception for 6 channels

Sorry, but the other stations broadcast from an area toward Friendship Heights, to the NNW, and therefore your building blocks 'em. 50 broadcasts from NE DC, so you wouldn't have issues with that one. I don't know why you get 26 (must be on the southern area of the eastern side), but when it transfers to the new tower site with all the other stations you don't get, you won't get 26, either. So enjoy it while you can.

Good luck with your studies.

Quote:

It depends on the tuner. Some work differently than others and therefore you might be lucky, or not. Might as well try markbulla's trick.
post #48 of 13863 Old 01-24-2007, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Even though you don't get the channel in the guide, the HD Tivo should accept you entering 59-1 and tune to the channel. If you want to record on it, you need to set a manual recording. That is the way it works on my HR10. It should work the same way on a Series 3 (you didn't say which you had).
post #49 of 13863 Old 01-24-2007, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

So, it's Wednesday....what's on 7.3?

(Less importantly) What channel number is it for FiOS?

I'm guessing it's some kind of ABC News Now/NewsChannel 8 hybrid.
post #50 of 13863 Old 01-24-2007, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbulla View Post

Apparently, their PSIP generator is more of a pain than mine is to set up (and mine's not easy...)...

Mark

I received an e-mail at 1:04 PM that the audio problem was fixed but I'm not home to confirm it, is it still a problem?

Matt
Please don't PM me with technical questions that should be posted in the forum.
post #51 of 13863 Old 01-24-2007, 01:18 PM

Quote:

Sorry, but the other stations broadcast from an area toward Friendship Heights, to the NNW, and therefore your building blocks 'em. 50 broadcasts from NE DC, so you wouldn't have issues with that one. I don't know why you get 26 (must be on the southern area of the eastern side), but when it transfers to the new tower site with all the other stations you don't get, you won't get 26, either. So enjoy it while you can.

Good luck with your studies.

It depends on the tuner. Some work differently than others and therefore you might be lucky, or not. Might as well try markbulla's trick.

Is there some kind of omnidirectional antenna I could get that might pick it up? Or one powerful enough to get the signal...I'm not that far from the other side of the building.
post #52 of 13863 Old 01-24-2007, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJKurtzke View Post

I doubt FIOS will have it for some time.
post #53 of 13863 Old 01-24-2007, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones73 View Post

I received an e-mail at 1:04 PM that the audio problem was fixed but I'm not home to confirm it, is it still a problem?

Yep - I have video and audio on 11-1, and 11-2. I'm still showing errors on their PSIP, so they may (should) still be working on it, but currently it's working on my Samsung receiver.

Mark

Mark
post #54 of 13863 Old 01-24-2007, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey all, I'm a student at Georgetown University, on the 8th floor of a dorm (my windows face basically due East). I have a Sceptre X42 HDTV, and I'm trying to receive OTA HD channels. However, no matter what I try, I can only get reception for 6 channels:

26-1 W26HD
26-2 WETA2
26-3 WETA3
26-4 WETA4
50-1 WDCW-DT
50-2 WDCW-D2

I have tried with a GE Optima Antenna, and more recently, with a Phillips Silver Sensor. I can't get more than these same 6 channels no matter what I try. I've tried moving the antenna around to face different directions, messing with the rabbit ears on the Optima, etc. I don't get it...I'm basically in the heart of a big city, shouldn't I be able to get more channels than this?

Yes, you should be getting more stations than this - in theory. I don't know how good the ATSC tuner is in the Sceptre X42 TV. It may be poor at handling multipath or fluctuating signals. Also, you are getting only 2 stations, not 6. The sub-channels only count as 1 station. The sub-channels are all part of the data streams from WETA-DT 26 and WDCW-DT 50.

You have a good UHF antenna with the Silver Sensor. Some ATSC tuners allow you to directly enter the digital channel number and will map to the station if it can lock onto whatever it finds. Do you get anything on the signal strength meter for channels 34, 35, 36, 39, 48? (check the 1st post in this thread to see which stations these are under the orange colored column).

The Silver Sensor is moderately directional so find the best clear spot with the least obstruction and aim it towards NW DC. If you have a tall building behind you, you could aim the antenna at that to try to pick up reflected signals. The rabbit ears won't help as those are for longer wavelength VHF channels and all the local stations currently digitally broadcast on UHF channels.

Just how far are you from the broadcast towers in NW DC? Enter your actual street address into antennaweb.org and report back here on the miles and direction. One possibility is that the signal is too strong and you are overloading the Sceptre ATSC receiver. If all else fails, you can get an antenuater at Radio Shack and give that a try.
post #55 of 13863 Old 01-24-2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshsm View Post

I assume you ARE talking about OTA 5.1, not the DirecTV rebroadcast HD version? I don't know the specs on that (so-called, but that's my opinion ) "DVR". Does it have an OTA tuner? Do the discussions relating to that piece of hardware make any comparisons of the quality of the OTA tuner?

FWIW, I'm picking up flawless 5.1 OTA with a little Terk Silver Sensor clone on my S3 TiVo's OTA tuner.

Yeah, it's the OTA tuner on the DVR. I double checked on my "direct line" from the antenna to the TV's tuner ( I built some redundancy into my system) and that also seemed to have a little multipath issue. The DTV rebroadcast is fine.
post #56 of 13863 Old 01-24-2007, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

I can confirm that the Sceptre TV has a Rockin' Awesome (and this is official terminology) ATSC tuner. It picks up every channel my S3 TiVo does, OTA, and the S3 TiVo has, going by word-of-mouth comparisons, one of the best OTA tuners available!

I do agree on the Silver Sensor being moderately directional - from here in loudoin County, with my Silver Sensor istting on the TV stand in the basement, I had to turn it 10-15 degrees whenever I wanted to enhance reception between sets of channels. Now, sitting in a window sill one level above the basement, it works perfectly, though!

I bet the issue here is that the (good) Sceptre tuner is being overloaded - try a couple of splitters/attenuators in the path.

*ashu*
post #57 of 13863 Old 01-24-2007, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJKurtzke View Post

I'm guessing it's some kind of ABC News Now/NewsChannel 8 hybrid.

We had a major networking/viri issue today that is keeping me busy. It will launch tomorrow.

Robert Forsyth
Director, Digital Media
WJLA-TV
post #58 of 13863 Old 01-24-2007, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt View Post

Yes, you should be getting more stations than this - in theory. I don't know how good the ATSC tuner is in the Sceptre X42 TV. It may be poor at handling multipath or fluctuating signals. Also, you are getting only 2 stations, not 6. The sub-channels only count as 1 station. The sub-channels are all part of the data streams from WETA-DT 26 and WDCW-DT 50.

You have a good UHF antenna with the Silver Sensor. Some ATSC tuners allow you to directly enter the digital channel number and will map to the station if it can lock onto whatever it finds. Do you get anything on the signal strength meter for channels 34, 35, 36, 39, 48? (check the 1st post in this thread to see which stations these are under the orange colored column).

The Silver Sensor is moderately directional so find the best clear spot with the least obstruction and aim it towards NW DC. If you have a tall building behind you, you could aim the antenna at that to try to pick up reflected signals. The rabbit ears won't help as those are for longer wavelength VHF channels and all the local stations currently digitally broadcast on UHF channels.

Just how far are you from the broadcast towers in NW DC? Enter your actual street address into antennaweb.org and report back here on the miles and direction. One possibility is that the signal is too strong and you are overloading the Sceptre ATSC receiver. If all else fails, you can get an antenuater at Radio Shack and give that a try.

According to Antenna Web, I'm about 2-4 miles from them...at least 9 of them are very, very close. I get 0 signal strength for every one of those channels you suggested. If the problem is an overly strong signal, would that still result in 0 signal strength? I looked for attenuators on Radioshack's site and nothing came up...is there another name for them? If it's just a splitter, I have one or two lying around...should I just connect them and use 2-3 coax cables to get the signal into the TV? Also have a couple feed-thru connectors.
post #59 of 13863 Old 01-24-2007, 04:30 PM

Two nights in a row I was watching Comcast channel 214 WNUVDT between 10 and 11 pm and it seemed to me that the volume was going slightly up and down by itself. I tried the SD channel 14 and it seemed to be OK. Anyone else notice this or care to check it out?
post #60 of 13863 Old 01-24-2007, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

According to Antenna Web, I'm about 2-4 miles from them...at least 9 of them are very, very close. I get 0 signal strength for every one of those channels you suggested. If the problem is an overly strong signal, would that still result in 0 signal strength? I looked for attenuators on Radioshack's site and nothing came up...is there another name for them? If it's just a splitter, I have one or two lying around...should I just connect them and use 2-3 coax cables to get the signal into the TV? Also have a couple feed-thru connectors.

Do you get any analog chs? Do you get WHUT on 32? You are so close you should get something.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page