Washington, DC / Baltimore, MD - HDTV - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-01-2007, 04:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVJunkyMonkey View Post

Thanks for checking that...that beats my news which I got from an article. I am so happy to hear that, now I will be able to see VT in HD. Also, for those who care, VT is playing UVA tomorrow night on ESPN HD.

GO HOKIES.

I may be mistaken but I heard that ESPN isn't bothering to bring their HD trucks to this game. Its all good for me though as I'll be there to watch my Hoos put a hurtin on them Hokies!

- Ahsan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2007, 05:51 AM

I'll celebrate the DC-20 ACC news when I actually see it.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:53 AM

Quote:

I'll celebrate the DC-20 ACC news when I actually see it.

I agree, although I am very encouraged by the reports that we _should_ get these games in HD. I may have to consider taking off work to watch more of these games after all...

Go Hokies!
Old 03-01-2007, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahsan View Post

I may be mistaken but I heard that ESPN isn't bothering to bring their HD trucks to this game. Its all good for me though as I'll be there to watch my Hoos put a hurtin on them Hokies!

Well they keep saying ESPN HD when they mention the game, and when the game is not in HD, they don't put the HD tag next to ESPN. Plus I have seen ESPN take their truck to Charlottesville for the Duke vs UVA game. Either way, I , too, will be watching them HOkIES knock your cavs around at their own house.

Update: It looks like it is NOT in HD, HD Sports Guide.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Thought I'd pluck these down here. I always have trouble finding this on Comcast's website.

Comcast rates.PDF 393.3427734375k . file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Comcast rates.PDF (393.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 03-01-2007, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Great news on WDCA being able to do the ACC tournament in HD. Remember, WDCA is owned by Fox, so they share resources and hardware with FOX5. This leads me to believe they do have the necessary equipment to pull this off.

On another note, last night during Friday Night Lights on WRCDT, I noticed that the rear surrounds were active and the DD5.1 seemed to working correctly. First time in a long time I've heard DD5.1 coming from WRC.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Is 'Watch Over Me' really so important that they move tonights game to little watched 66.1 WPXW? I thought all ACC games were supposed to air on My20.

HD DVD = 102
BD = 45
Old 03-01-2007, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
After reading all the forum entries about why WJLA won't spend the money to have the ability to show Jeopardy! and Wheel in HDTV, it makes me wish Allbritton would sell the station to someone else, better yet make the station an ABC O&O. There are stations in far smaller markets that have made the investment in the needed equipment to not only air these shows in HDTV, but have also made the switch for their local news as well.

Maybe when Oprah makes the move to HDTV... The way that show is overpromoted over there.!

Of course, This is the same station that pre-empts ABC programming at times for old movies, local news shows, Oscar "specials" and the like (extra commercials at the end of Jeopardy!) to generate even more ad revenue.

Robert, please convince your cheap bosses at Allbritton to get with the plan, please. If this was 1965. I bet they would be fighting you to go color.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 22
It will come, just not today.

Going to sign up for Dish Network? PM me for a ClubDish referral number that will give you a $50 credit on your first bill.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahsan View Post

I'm not sure which part of that statement hurts me more...

May the best team win (and by that I mean "GO HOKIES!")

I can't believe that ESPN is going to screw us like that - 2 teams tied for first in the ACC playing the second to last game of the season, and we get nothing...
Old 03-01-2007, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneGT View Post

It will come, just not today.

or tomorrow.

I love how easy people find it to spend other company's money.

Robert Forsyth
Director, Digital Media
WJLA-TV
Old 03-01-2007, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maandrew View Post

I agree, although I am very encouraged by the reports that we _should_ get these games in HD. I may have to consider taking off work to watch more of these games after all...

Go Hokies!

For the past 14 yeaars I have had a party at my house from noon until midnight to watch all 4 games, drink beer, eat pizza, play foosball, etc. Last year I "moved" my service to Oklahoma for a week so I could get the ESPN games in HD. I really didn't feel like going through that this year so I'm hoping that WWDC comes through. They already let me down by not having Star Trek Enterprise in HD so the least they can do is broadcast the ACC tournament on Friday in HD. Right now the DirecTV guide does not have the HD icon for those games.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
to raise the money for poor Joe Allbritton to move into the 21st century (perhaps another run of Ghost on a Saturday evening, loaded with ads from Koons, Empire Today, and Room Store can pull in the funds needed). A third-rate company (with a lot of great news talent) in a first-rate market.. I'm sorry Robert, but we deserve better here. I hope your bosses read these forums and know many of their viewers are frustrated. I do appreciate your posting here as you can never get an answer by calling or e-mailing the station.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Just putting it out there:
Isn't WJLA becoming like a network within an affiliate--with ABC7 News, News8, and, now The Politico/.com? Plus, they're becoming the black hole of DC news, sucking up every great newscaster as soon as they become available.
Now, although it would be great for them to do an HD push like (every) ABC affiliate in higher markets, I'd much rather them spend their money on building a news organization that has begun competing with its network than spend it on getting Wheel of Fortune/Jeopardy in HD. It will be awesome when they finally go HD--but for now, I'll just flip to 9 when I need HD coverage.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Remember when WUSA had that awesome news graphics/music/opening up until the "9 News Now" change? They've apparently redone the opening to be very low-key on the graphics, but it does include lots of HD references. It basically goes over the top news stories, using very low-key music, and then goes basically says "this is 9 News Now in HD".
Old 03-02-2007, 05:26 AM
Advanced Member

.......WJLA has begun zooming to 14:9..........
It's...OK, but they're going to make changes to the graphics, half the date/time is cut off.

Edited to make the announcement seem less intesne.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJKurtzke View Post

.......WJLA has begun zooming to 14:9..........
It's...OK, but they're going to make changes to the graphics, half the date/time is cut off.

We had to reset our Flexicoder this morning...and we are having issue with an exciter at the transmitter.

Stand by.......................

Robert Forsyth
Director, Digital Media
WJLA-TV
Old 03-02-2007, 05:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertforsyth View Post

We had to reset our Flexicoder this morning...and we are having issue with an exciter at the transmitter.

Stand by.......................

It's fixed.

(I actually kind of liked it better 14:9, but I knew that would spew an onslaught here had I actually said that)
Old 03-02-2007, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

It's fixed.

(I actually kind of liked it better 14:9, but I knew that would spew an onslaught here had I actually said that)

Yes it would...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: editor@VARTV.com
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

Old 03-02-2007, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's fixed.

Frankly I am more worried about post's like your's - with its emphsis - will turn off the station personnel. Did you really need 60 point - why not purple instead of red?
Old 03-02-2007, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

It's fixed.

Do you walk around wearing fun house glasses so everything is stretched sideways all day long?

The WBAL stretch gives me a headache.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

MASN will not offer HD telecasts this season due in large part to channel capacity of the cable systems. The goal is for HD to come in 2008 for all Orioles and Nationals home telecasts.

http://www.examiner.com/a-583183~MAS...ame_value.html

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

Old 03-02-2007, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ouch, that is one way to take a shot at Comcast...

Arrive
Raise Hell
Leave
Old 03-02-2007, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post

MASN will not offer HD telecasts this season due in large part to channel capacity of the cable systems. The goal is for HD to come in 2008 for all Orioles and Nationals home telecasts.

MASN HD in 2008, more promises, we are getting used it by now. What I am hoping is these rich people, I mean the station owners, to get together and have a deal. Why can't stations exchange the HD feed so that way almost all sports game will be in HD, home or away. If MASN does eventually get the O's games in HD, and NESN does have the Red Sucks games in HD, then why can't fans of both markets enjoy both HD feeds.

Last night, HDnet had Tampa at Washington NHL game in HD. I couldn't watch that game in HD, instead I had to watch CSN's SD channel. Blackouts should be applied, but they should always give priority to HD.

Anyways, those are my two wishes, and I know that they won't get no where, but I am just throwing my two cents in.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 916 Post(s)
Liked: 786
Old 03-02-2007, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVJunkyMonkey View Post

MASN HD in 2008, more promises, we are getting used it by now. What I am hoping is these rich people, I mean the station owners, to get together and have a deal. Why can't stations exchange the HD feed so that way almost all sports game will be in HD, home or away. If MASN does eventually get the O's games in HD, and NESN does have the Red Sucks games in HD, then why can't fans of both markets enjoy both HD feeds.

Last night, HDnet had Tampa at Washington NHL game in HD. I couldn't watch that game in HD, instead I had to watch CSN's SD channel. Blackouts should be applied, but they should always give priority to HD.

Anyways, those are my two wishes, and I know that they won't get no where, but I am just throwing my two cents in.

Why couldnt you get CSN-HD?

Arrive
Raise Hell
Leave
Old 03-02-2007, 12:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemikeb View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerwin View Post

Does WETA starve the audio stream for bits? Do I need a better antenna?

WETA starves its video stream. I don't know if they do that with the audio stream, but they might.

The way digital TV works, a "better" antenna won't improve the sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by essay View Post

83.1 PBS (WETA-HD)
83.5 ABC HD

Anyone get any other unencrypted QAM channels?

Before the switch from Adelphia to Comcast a couple of months ago, all of the channels recorded as 25 MBps, except WETA, which showed up as 12.5 MBps.

The motion blocking was always noticeable on PBS HD... it looks as bad as D*

I assume it must be due to multi-casting other sub-channels, but other networks multi-cast subchannels too, right?

With the switch to Comcast, the PQ hasn't changed, but the other HD channels now are showing up as 38.8104 MBps. Except WETA-HD (Comcast channel 726) is showing up as 9.47 MBps.

Bottom line, WETA-HD is much worse PQ than all of the other Comcast HD channels. It ruins great programming like SoundStage and Austin City Limits.

I used to use a DVICO OTA HDTV card with a SilverSensor OTA antenna when we lived in Herndon and it worked great. We moved out to Western Loudoun 3 years ago and we're too far from the DC OTA broadcast towers, but I've never tried QAM over cable.

If I bought a QAM card (like the DVICO FusionHDTV5 or MyHD MDP-130), would the QAM feed for WETA-HD from the Comcast cable be any better than what my Motorola 6412 HD DVR is displaying?
Old 03-02-2007, 12:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1688 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

I wouldn't expect too much until this number grows quite a bit:

17 Percent of US Households Have High Def Capable TV Sets

"...Only one-third of adults have heard of the digital TV transition, scheduled for February 17, 2009..."

I wonder how many people will be surprised in 2009 when the analog channels go dark. 33% is pathetic.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Old 03-02-2007, 12:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1688 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
The WETA OTA picture is crap compared to what it used to be a few years ago. The problem is with the broadcast not the cable company. In 2001 the picture was gorgeous from WETA, now I never want to tune in since it's so bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence View Post

Before the switch from Adelphia to Comcast a couple of months ago, all of the channels recorded as 25 MBps, except WETA, which showed up as 12.5 MBps.

The motion blocking was always noticeable on PBS HD... it looks as bad as D*

I assume it must be due to multi-casting other sub-channels, but other networks multi-cast subchannels too, right?

With the switch to Comcast, the PQ hasn't changed, but the other HD channels now are showing up as 38.8104 MBps. Except WETA-HD (Comcast channel 726) is showing up as 9.47 MBps.

Bottom line, WETA-HD is much worse PQ than all of the other Comcast HD channels. It ruins great programming like SoundStage and Austin City Limits.

I used to use a DVICO OTA HDTV card with a SilverSensor OTA antenna when we lived in Herndon and it worked great. We moved out to Western Loudoun 3 years ago and we're too far from the DC OTA broadcast towers, but I've never tried QAM over cable.

If I bought a QAM card (like the DVICO FusionHDTV5 or MyHD MDP-130), would the QAM feed for WETA-HD from the Comcast cable be any better than what my Motorola 6412 HD DVR is displaying?

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Old 03-02-2007, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

In 2001 the picture was gorgeous from WETA, now I never want to tune in since it's so bad.

Does anybody care to hazard a guess why? There's no doubt in my mind!