10Likes

post #811 of 13942 Old 03-05-2007, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeInNVa View Post

So basically it was a money saving move...One where you put the interests of the Advertisers above those of the viewers...

You missed this key phrase:

"By then, we had commitments to other advertisers that needed to be honored."

You make it sound like a choice they made. Once a contract is inked, it needs to be adhered to.

I don't understand all the WJLA hate around here (maybe I'm too new). I don't watch their news (I grew up watching back in the days of WDVM and Glenn Brenner and old habits die hard), but can't see where they're any different than any other station (other than the fact that Robert is kind enough to grace us with his presence).

I'd be willing to bet that the story is the same at just about every other TV station in town.

(on a more content related note, my CM 4221 is set for delivery tomorrow - getting the ACC tourney in HD finally put me over the fence on buying one)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 13942 Old 03-05-2007, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt View Post

WHAG-DT is still at low power and SD only, as far as I know. Unless WHAG has added HD to their weak digital broadcast signal, they won't be carrying the ACC Tournament in HD.

The head station engineer for WNUV posts here, so he can provide a reliable answer for WNUV-DT 54 status for the ACC broadcasts.

Hi guys -

I'm 95% certain that we will have the ACC tournament in HD on WNUV. I've got all of the equipment in and tested, I've got the equipment programmed and tested. I have two things that I still need to test, but I won't be able to test these until Wednesday afternoon.

Mark

Mark
post #813 of 13942 Old 03-05-2007, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

WDCW in HD on DirecTV by Jan 08 at latest, probably sooner:
Received this email from 50:

Thank you for contacting us! DirecTV was able to get some of the stations
on HD DirecTV this year. All Tribune stations will be on HD DirecTV by next
January. We are hoping it happens sooner.

Please feel free to check back for an update in a few months.

Sincerely,
Tanya Pavluchuk
Programming
post #814 of 13942 Old 03-05-2007, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertforsyth View Post

It is pretty, or well it used to before they applied the talent-demanded softening filters). But it has NOT helped them the SLIGHEST bit over the past year the ONLY place where it counts...revenue and ratings. In the last ratings book, their news finished 4th and 5th in most time periods.

Maybe it doesn't work for WUSA, but in Dallas apparently...

http://www.tvpredictions.com/wfaa030307.htm

Does HDTV Boost Local News Ratings?
A Dallas station says the switch to high-def news made a big difference in February.
By Phillip Swann

Washington, D.C. (March 3, 2007) -- WFAA-TV's 10 p.m. newscast in Dallas-Fort Worth got the highest ratings for its time period in February for the first time in more than five years.

Why?

Could be High-Definition TV, says Dave Muscari, the station's vice president. WFAA-TV, the ABC affiliate in the Dallas area, began broadcasting its news programs in high-def on February 2.

Muscari calls the switch to high-def news a big reason for the improved ratings for the 10 p.m. newscast. However, he adds there are always many factors involved when a station's ratings rise.

"It's been a busy 60 days," Muscari tells the Dallas Morning News. "We've launched a lot of things in a short period of time. And so, if you said, what's the one major factor in this, I think it's a combination of a lot of things."

WFAA's 10 p.m. newscast had a 8.7 household rating in February, says the newspaper. KXAS, channel 5 in Dallas, finished second with a 8.2 rating.
post #815 of 13942 Old 03-05-2007, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Gah. And here I am bitching about WJLA. Looks like the color is blown out AGAIN on WRC.

I hate them so much.
post #816 of 13942 Old 03-05-2007, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 466
post #817 of 13942 Old 03-05-2007, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

WTF? NBC GET YOUR CRAP TOGETHER

This is your highest rated show! FIX THIS NOW

Josh
PSN: lax01
post #818 of 13942 Old 03-05-2007, 07:09 PM

Wow. Thought it was my TV for a second. Looks awful. Bleeeechhhhhh.
post #819 of 13942 Old 03-05-2007, 07:10 PM

It's like they want us to watch it wearing 3d glasses or something with all the red and blue separation, this is horrible.
post #820 of 13942 Old 03-05-2007, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

so freaking annoying....this is ridiculous

Josh
post #821 of 13942 Old 03-05-2007, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

The tri-color spread on WRC 4 is bizarre. The picture for WBAL-DT 11 in Baltimore is not doing this, so this problem is with WRC. But I'm getting dropouts for WBAL-DT, as I sometimes do, so that is not a viable option at the moment. Argh!
post #822 of 13942 Old 03-05-2007, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
post #823 of 13942 Old 03-05-2007, 07:31 PM

Even the weird colors were better than no HD and no Dolby Digital.
post #824 of 13942 Old 03-05-2007, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

*bangs head on table*

Josh
post #825 of 13942 Old 03-05-2007, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

back to HD

Josh
post #826 of 13942 Old 03-05-2007, 08:44 PM

LOL, I love this thread
post #827 of 13942 Old 03-05-2007, 10:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1144 Post(s)
Liked: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt View Post

The tri-color spread on WRC 4 is bizarre. The picture for WBAL-DT 11 in Baltimore is not doing this, so this problem is with WRC. But I'm getting dropouts for WBAL-DT, as I sometimes do, so that is not a viable option at the moment. Argh!

Glad I have a backup from DirecTV and the NewYork HD feed for NBC. I was afraid I was having some kind of HDMI problem until I realized the picture looked the same from Comcast as from OTA. So I watched the NY feed for most of the show.

53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3--32TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #828 of 13942 Old 03-06-2007, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieNav View Post

You missed this key phrase:

"By then, we had commitments to other advertisers that needed to be honored."

You make it sound like a choice they made. Once a contract is inked, it needs to be adhered to.

Actually, they could move things around or offer them points somewhere else...

Arrive
Raise Hell
Leave
post #829 of 13942 Old 03-06-2007, 05:30 AM

Dear Mr. XXXXX,

We have just gotten in our HD equipment in-house and installed. We have
one more test to run to see if we can show the games in HD. We have
been
working very hard all season to try to make this happen, but until
Raycom sends a test on Wednesday afternoon, we will not know for sure
that everything is set up correctly for the tournament. Hang in
there...
we are working as best we can to make the ACC tournament viewable in
HD.

Thanks for your question!
Sincerely,
Lisa Lupis
Program Director / Webmaster
WBFF / WNUV
Baltimore, MD
post #830 of 13942 Old 03-06-2007, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwin0 View Post

Dear Mr. XXXXX,

We have just gotten in our HD equipment in-house and installed. We have
one more test to run to see if we can show the games in HD. We have
been
working very hard all season to try to make this happen, but until
Raycom sends a test on Wednesday afternoon, we will not know for sure
that everything is set up correctly for the tournament. Hang in
there...
we are working as best we can to make the ACC tournament viewable in
HD.

Thanks for your question!
Sincerely,
Lisa Lupis
Program Director / Webmaster
WBFF / WNUV
Baltimore, MD

She forgot to write that the WNUV chief engineer is a very smart guy, and that she's sure that he will be able to get it going in time for the ACC tournament.

Oh well...

Mark

Mark
post #831 of 13942 Old 03-06-2007, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbulla View Post

She forgot to write that the WNUV chief engineer is a very smart guy, and that she's sure that he will be able to get it going in time for the ACC tournament.

Oh well...

Mark

hahaha, a little self promotion?
Either way, thanks for getting it going for us Southern York Countians.
post #832 of 13942 Old 03-06-2007, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knnirs View Post

Comcast Digital Cable Self-install Kit.

I commented two weeks ago that I had ordered the FREE Digital Kit for my basic Comcast cable. The kit was delivered Thursday evening, but I found it required a phone call to Comcast to activate the box, and I gave up after waiting on the phone for more than forty minutes for a connection to a technician. I called again in mid-morning Friday, and after a thirty minute hold I was connected to a technician to start the activation. The technician recorded the serial number of my box, and informed me the activitation was started and would take about forty five minutes. He said to call back if the unit was not performing after the activation time.

Using this box demonstrates that Comcast is presently duplicating their analog and digital signals, which must be expensive to the company.

I have been quite happy with my digital QAM tuner for the non-encrypted digital channels, and I expect I will be returning the Digital Kit to Comcast fairly soon, even thogh it is free.

I have both a digital STB (connected to a non-cable-ready TV in one bedroom) and a QAM-equipped HDTV (my 42" Philips plasma in my bedroom) and, in practically every case (the only exception so far involves MHz Networks), digital is kicking analog's butt (where the same material is available both ways), and naturally, the QAM-powered plasma shows this best of all (as the plasma is the only TV showing both the analog *and* DS versions of the signal). In fact, CNN Digital is the most obvious of the butt-kickers, and it's not that the analog picture is bad; it's just that the digital picture is (for whatever reason) so much *better*.

However, the reason for the duplication is the large number of cable-ready (but analog) TVs in their customer footprint; a lot of these customers have zero interest in digital cable for *any* reason; hence, until the drop-dead date, they have to duplicate the carriage. (If said customers are a large enough block, they will have to maintain the duplicate coverage for a large portion of the foreseeable future; there has been some talk by those not wanting to use any sort of STB, even a subsidized or free one, of requiring just that.)
post #833 of 13942 Old 03-06-2007, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichmondOTABaby View Post

I, too, exclusively watch WUSA news because it is in HD.

Same here (no offense, Robert). I'm the only person in the house that owns an HD-equipped TV (and I had a PC with an OTA HD tuner before that). The fact that WUSA-DT now broadcasts *all* their local news in HD (and, to be quite honest, the 1080i feed absolutely kicks the fecal matter out of the analog 480i feed; yes I compare them heads-up, and I get both over Comcast in addition to OTA, so I'm comparing apples to apples) is why.

It can't simply be *age*; otherwise, how does J. C. Hayward look as good as she does compared to her longtime buddies Andrea Roane and Maureen Bunyan (Maureen is now at WJLA). However, I can understand not only Robert's position, but even that of Joe Albritton. The shame *should* be primarily reserved for WTTG-DT and WRC-DT, as both are not mere affiliates, but network-owned (and in WRC-DT's case, they are owned by that rather large lightbulb company) and neither does their local news in HD, either.
post #834 of 13942 Old 03-06-2007, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

ACC Tournament in HD: http:/www.raycomsports.com/07ACC-HD.pdf Note the "official" HD affiliates list does not yet include Baltimore, but thank goodness we have Mark around for the inside information.
post #835 of 13942 Old 03-06-2007, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemikeb View Post

A few months ago, I asked four questions about WJLA and WUSA in that sort of regard. With an FCC-released document (Excel version) (pdf version), I have the answer to three of the questions.

(By the way, there's no note of call signs in the document, but search the document for "washington", and there's "references" to both channels 7 and 9 there. )

Short version:

* WUSA and WJLA will both broadcast at 254 meters above average terrain. This is the tallest tower location in town, at least in terms of HAAT, and higher than their current analog location.
* WUSA will broadcast at 17,000 watts
* WJLA will broadcast at 15,000 watts

I don't know if either will have a directional array, because I don't know where I can go to get info on an "Antenna ID" number. WUSA has 74506, and WJLA has 74539. I suspect that means that the two won't share the same antenna, though I may be wrong.

Mr. Johnson, I don't know if you'll get WUSA, let alone WJLA, but I do know that they'll have a good clean feeling in their power bills.

They share tower space (to the physical right of WUSA-TV/DT's studios, from the sidewalk that goes past it), but not antenna space (which makes sense, as they are not owned by the same company; WUSA is owned by Gannett, while WJLA is owned by Albritton Communications). I have no idea if either station actually owns the tower.

A surprising fact: the WUSA-TV/DT studios are directly across Wisconsin Avenue from the Tenleytown-American University subway station (Robert, does WJLA-TV/DT still occupy the building catercorner to the tower on Tilden Street, or did they follow the studios to Rosslyn, VA?).
post #836 of 13942 Old 03-06-2007, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGHammer View Post

Same here (no offense, Robert). I'm the only person in the house that owns an HD-equipped TV (and I had a PC with an OTA HD tuner before that). The fact that WUSA-DT now broadcasts *all* their local news in HD (and, to be quite honest, the 1080i feed absolutely kicks the fecal matter out of the analog 480i feed; yes I compare them heads-up, and I get both over Comcast in addition to OTA, so I'm comparing apples to apples) is why.

I haven't watched local news in years, until I got my HD plasma, now I watch WUSA pretty much every night.
post #837 of 13942 Old 03-06-2007, 12:24 PM

In recent weeks I've been having problems receiving both Channel 4 and Channel 11 - both of which were rock solid prior to this point. About 3-4 weeks ago, channel 11 became marginal - signal bouncing in and out. Now channel 11 is mostly fine, but channel 4 is showing breakups, pixilation, bouncing signal levels - and its driving my series 3 tivo to distraction.

I thought perhaps my in-line amp had started to pack up, so I just swapped it out. Still the same problems. I had thought about things like multipath, but everything else being broadcast from the same place as channel 4 is rock solid.

I'm in Germantown near the intersection of 118 and Richter Farm Rd. Anyone else seeing a similar pattern of disruption?
post #838 of 13942 Old 03-06-2007, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStJ View Post

In recent weeks I've been having problems receiving both Channel 4 and Channel 11 - both of which were rock solid prior to this point. About 3-4 weeks ago, channel 11 became marginal - signal bouncing in and out. Now channel 11 is mostly fine, but channel 4 is showing breakups, pixilation, bouncing signal levels - and its driving my series 3 tivo to distraction.

I thought perhaps my in-line amp had started to pack up, so I just swapped it out. Still the same problems. I had thought about things like multipath, but everything else being broadcast from the same place as channel 4 is rock solid.

I'm in Germantown near the intersection of 118 and Richter Farm Rd. Anyone else seeing a similar pattern of disruption?

I live very near you and haven't had any problems with channel 4. I've never been able to get 11 in consistently with my attic antenna so I can't offer you much there.
post #839 of 13942 Old 03-06-2007, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I live only about a mile from you. I used to have NBC problems as well until I went with an outdoor antenna. They just seem to have reception issues. What is your antenna situation?

Going to sign up for Dish Network? PM me for a ClubDish referral number that will give you a $50 credit on your first bill.
post #840 of 13942 Old 03-06-2007, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Cox Fairfax granted Petition for Determination of Effective Competition by FCC.

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...A-07-944A1.pdf
http://www.cedmagazine.com/article/CA6421942.html

In a nutshell ... with this ruling ... the local franchise authority can no longer regulate Cox Fairfax's (basic) cable rates, equipment prices, and so forth. It also exempts them from certain other pricing regulations (like the tier buy-through prohibition).
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page