Washington, DC / Baltimore, MD - HDTV - Page 31 - AVS Forum
First ... 29  30  31 32  33  ... Last
Local HDTV Info and Reception > Washington, DC / Baltimore, MD - HDTV
yekim54's Avatar yekim54 01:19 PM 03-08-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post

Sound issues aside, I think this was the first time I was able to directly compare the same programming on a 720p station (20-1, Fios 805) and a 1080i station (54-1). It looked distinctly sharper on 54-1, even though I have the Tivo's output set to 720p fixed, and my set is an EDTV. Maybe this originated as a 1080i signal, and WDCA's cross-conversion just isn't as good as the Tivo's?

I agree, using OTA, 54.1 looks better than 20.1, and the sound is definitely better. I'm glad I can get both of these stations because it gives me a backup in case one of them develops a transmission problem (like the sound problem on 20 during the FSU-Clemson game).

afiggatt's Avatar afiggatt 01:56 PM 03-08-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by yekim54 View Post

I agree, using OTA, 54.1 looks better than 20.1, and the sound is definitely better. I'm glad I can get both of these stations because it gives me a backup in case one of them develops a transmission problem (like the sound problem on 20 during the FSU-Clemson game).

I spent a few minutes comparing the two channels and agree that the picture quality on WNUV-DT 54 looks better than WDCA-DT 20. This is for OTA. I only get WDCA-DT 20 via Verizon Fios (Washington Metro line-up), so the comparison is strictly OTA. This is on a 42" 1024x768 plasma, so the difference between 720p and 1080i should not be that obvious. I may mess with the output settings on my two ATSC receivers tonight to see if I can get a better picture for WDCA.

However, Mark, I'm getting closed captions for the game on WDCA-DT 20.1 on both ATSC receivers (Samsung SIR-T451, Sony DHG-HDD250), but none for WNUV-DT 54.1. There are captions for the analog WNUV 54, BTW. This is unexpected because the last I looked I never got captions for 20.1, so maybe they fixed something. I imagine you are rather busy, but maybe you could look into it. The pattern is that I sometimes see captions for the local programming on WNUV 54.1, so that part works, but not for the CW network programming. WDCW-DT 50.1 has captions for the national CW programming, so the CC data is there. Maybe the fact that the digital captions are not getting passed for the syndicated ACC feed is a clue you can use to hunt down the problem. Good job on getting the ACC in HD in the first place!
HokieNav's Avatar HokieNav 02:17 PM 03-08-2007
It looks great, Mark - that's for all the hard work!

I'm getting Dolby Digital from 54.1 and not from 20.1 which is why the sound is so much nicer. WNUV's PQ is definitely much better too (both OTA, so I'm comparing apples to apples).

I just need to futz with the antenna a bit, my new CM 4221 is doing a great job, but I still need to tweak it a bit to get WNUV solid.

Now if my Hokies will look this good tomorrow night, everything will be good!!!
AcuraCL's Avatar AcuraCL 02:25 PM 03-08-2007
Since Dish killed the local guide for 811 users who don't subscribe to local channels, I'm thinking about getting a Samsung ATSC tuner.

Can anyone tell me if Baltimore/Washington channels send out an advanced program guide in PSIP, or give me an idea of what to expect to be included in the PSIP data?

Thanks much for any help you can provide.
JoeInNVa's Avatar JoeInNVa 02:30 PM 03-08-2007
Bonus Coverage on the Deuce right now, though no HD
markbulla's Avatar markbulla 03:20 PM 03-08-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt View Post

edited -

WDCW-DT 50.1 has captions for the national CW programming, so the CC data is there. Maybe the fact that the digital captions are not getting passed for the syndicated ACC feed is a clue you can use to hunt down the problem. Good job on getting the ACC in HD in the first place!

Sorry about the closed captioning problem. I'm checking on it.

Mark
2dogz's Avatar 2dogz 03:39 PM 03-08-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVJunkyMonkey View Post

It just started and the PQ is great, much better than CSN-HD. The sound however keeps breaking up. Is it just my set or anyone else experiencing that as well?

I also had sound breakups on both of my Direct tivos on 20.1 ota. Many of them. Putzed around with the antenna direction, but that didn't seem to help. Sound was fine on channel 20 off of the sat, so seems to be something to do with local broadcast.

I also noticed a problem with sound levels of the games (seemed low) and the commercials (high), something like 15db difference.

The picture was fine. Glad that 20 is finally starting to get HD. Maybe now I won't automatically groan when I see a game scheduled on it.

Mike
Marcus Carr's Avatar Marcus Carr 04:46 PM 03-08-2007
On Wednesday morning Comcast did a software download in Baltimore City that made several changes to my Motorola DVRs:

The Main Menu consolidated onto one page instead of two.

The ability to make and label up to five favorites lists (using an on-screen keyboard).

After hitting Guide button and Favorites button, the guide only displays favorite channels.

Mini-guide can be set to display two channels or three channels.

A timed screen saver (only covers the 4:3 area of the screen).

HD programs labeled as HD in the guide.

Hitting Rec button records everything in the buffer istead of starting at the current time.

A menu comes up after hitting My DVR button, brings up a menu of all DVR options, not just the list of recordings.

Manual recording can be set to "Mon-Fri".

A "Welcome to On Demand" screen after hitting the On Demand button.

"New" or end dates displayed for On Demand selections instead of "LC" (Last Chance).

A time bar while watching On Demand, just like the one for watching broadcasts and recordings.

Faster response time for On Demand controls.

Most of the changes are listed above. Here's a web page about the "improved guide":

http://www.comcast.com/improvedguide/

And the user guide:

http://www.comcast.com/MediaLibrary/...VodOspg_46.pdf

Firmware is version 16.35.

On another note, DVR rental has gone from $10 to $12 a month. (Coincidence?)
dneily's Avatar dneily 07:13 PM 03-08-2007
Marcus:

Thanks for the list.

Note that "Hitting Rec button records everything in the buffer istead of starting at the current time." has always been available.
URFloorMatt's Avatar URFloorMatt 07:15 PM 03-08-2007
Now that I'm watching Duke/NCST on ESPN2, it seems like the color was a bit washed out coming from WDCA. The ESPN2 broadcast is much better picture-wise than the WDCA broadcast, but I'm not going to complain too much since it seems like only ESPN can get college basketball right, and even they only manage it some of the time.

Anyone with the Baltimore station want to compare the ESPN2 broadcast to this afternoon's games?
markbulla's Avatar markbulla 07:57 PM 03-08-2007
Sorry guys - My PSIP generator just took a dump. I'm on the backup, but everything isn't set right...

I hope that people are still getting the game...

Mark
zoyd's Avatar zoyd 08:00 PM 03-08-2007
Looks great here, OTA.
HokieNav's Avatar HokieNav 08:01 PM 03-08-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbulla View Post

Sorry guys - My PSIP generator just took a dump. I'm on the backup, but everything isn't set right...

Mark

Everything is good OTA here in Odenton!

Edit:I swear that wasn't there when I started!

Edit 2: PQ still kicks 20.1's tail and Mark, you're the only one that has DD working right (from here, at least).
zoyd's Avatar zoyd 08:11 PM 03-08-2007
54 has 5.1, 20 does not. ?
HokieNav's Avatar HokieNav 08:35 PM 03-08-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

54 has 5.1, 20 does not. ?

That's what my receiver is telling me.
markbulla's Avatar markbulla 08:50 PM 03-08-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieNav View Post

That's what my receiver is telling me.

We have a 5.1 simulator. It takes the stereo in and magically makes 5.1 out of it. If it detects 5.1 coming in, it just passes it through.

It's an expensive box, but it does a good job.

Mark
HokieNav's Avatar HokieNav 08:56 PM 03-08-2007
Quote:

We have a 5.1 simulator. It takes the stereo in and magically makes 5.1 out of it. If it detects 5.1 coming in, it just passes it through.

It's an expensive box, but it does a good job.

Mark

It's well worth it today - you sound much, much better than your cousin to the south...
billodom's Avatar billodom 09:00 PM 03-08-2007
Two subjects:

I have not had a chance to see any of the ACC tournament games as of yet--too busy trying to catch up on this thread . But I've got to say, I could have predicted that WNUV would absolutely smoke My20 in their HD presentation. I'm surprised nobody who watched the Redskins-Giants game back in December has commented here. I was fortunate enough to get that game on NFL Network through FiOS but the OTA on Fox5--or was it My20 (same thing)--was washed out and not anywhere near the NFL Network quality for what should have been an identical feed. I'm glad I kept my OTA setup. I know where I'll be watching the tournament--and it darn sure won't be on My20.

Switching gears, I had a chance to catch some of the Wizards-Warriors game last Sunday on 50. I'm again surprised that nobody has commented on the horrendous PQ. Almost every time there was any transition shot, the picture became blurry and there was what I would term macroblocking throughout the game. The color didn't even look right--like it was slightly washed out. Is CSN HD's feed that poor? Say it ain't so. I'm thinking it's something in WDCW's equipment that's causing the degraded PQ. Can any CSN-HD viewers comment on the PQ when watching through their Comcast system? Thanks.
zoyd's Avatar zoyd 09:05 PM 03-08-2007
Mark, can you comment on what data rate the OTA signal is delivered at? Are there any broadcast standards for data rate?
CycloneGT's Avatar CycloneGT 10:33 PM 03-08-2007
Bill, I remember tried to record some Wizards material last year on WB50, and the PQ was terrible too. Now CW50 doesn't have a sports dept and just broadcasts Comcast's production. But I don't why it looks so terrible.

About the ACC, I also add my voice that WNUV is superior in PQ and Audio by a considerable margin over My20. Mark your hard work has paid off. My Dish 622 was locking up around 9pm when trying to tune in 54.1. Typical of PSIP issues in the past, so I'm glad to hear there was an issue on your end (ie my box isn't broken).
markbulla's Avatar markbulla 06:14 AM 03-09-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

Mark, can you comment on what data rate the OTA signal is delivered at? Are there any broadcast standards for data rate?

Currently, because I no longer have a second digital channel, my encoder is pretty much running flat out at 17-18 Mbps (I have to set a range of data rates due to the software that I have in the encoder). The total data rate for ANY digital channel is 19.36 Mbps, which includes the video, audio, PSIP and whatever other data you are sending. You have to share that 19.36 Mbps between all of your digital subchannels. If you only have one channel, it all goes there.

There are no standards for data rates for HD channels or SD channels. How the picture looks really depends on how much motion there is in the picture. I could send out an HD test pattern at, say, 1 Mbps, and after a second or so, you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between it and a test pattern that I sent out at 17 Mbps. It makes a difference in a basketball game, though.

Mark
markbulla's Avatar markbulla 07:47 AM 03-09-2007
Quote:

Mark

PSIP is fixed. Had to take apart the PC and reseat the card.

Mark
GregAnnapolis's Avatar GregAnnapolis 08:02 AM 03-09-2007
Quote:

PSIP is fixed. Had to take apart the PC and reseat the card.

Mark

Just wanted to mention that although I noticed the PSIP issue, it did not impact my ability to pick up the game(s) OTA. Thanks a lot for your work on bringing this game to us! I really appreciate it, and I'm sure others do as well. I'll be sure to tune in tonight when the Hokies dismantle Wake.

As a sidenote, I noticed that the channel was appearing as 40-3 when the PSIP was presumably broken. Whether it's a coincidence or not, the channel switched over to calling itself 54-1 at precisely the moment that RLF ceded control for a local commercial break (ie, the grey bars appeared instead of the black ones). I know RLF does their syndication a little differently than other programs, hopefully that information is useful (unless it was a coincidence)...
markbulla's Avatar markbulla 08:22 AM 03-09-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAnnapolis View Post

Just wanted to mention that although I noticed the PSIP issue, it did not impact my ability to pick up the game(s) OTA. Thanks a lot for your work on bringing this game to us! I really appreciate it, and I'm sure others do as well. I'll be sure to tune in tonight when the Hokies dismantle Wake.

As a sidenote, I noticed that the channel was appearing as 40-3 when the PSIP was presumably broken. Whether it's a coincidence or not, the channel switched over to calling itself 54-1 at precisely the moment that RLF ceded control for a local commercial break (ie, the grey bars appeared instead of the black ones). I know RLF does their syndication a little differently than other programs, hopefully that information is useful (unless it was a coincidence)...

It was a coincidence.

I was screwing around with stuff during the commercials so that it wouldn't impact your viewing of the game, if something went wrong.

Don't tell the boss, because the commercials pay the bills. Fortunately, what I did made it better during the commercial, not worse.

Mark
JohnGZ28's Avatar JohnGZ28 08:30 AM 03-09-2007
Is anyone picking up the TK show on News Channel 8? If so how are you pulling it in?
GregAnnapolis's Avatar GregAnnapolis 09:24 AM 03-09-2007
Quote:

Don't tell the boss, because the commercials pay the bills.

Your secret is safe with me.
Red Dog's Avatar Red Dog 10:45 AM 03-09-2007
Interesting - ESPN2 is blacking out ESPN2HD, but not regular ESPN2. I was actually hoping they would simulcast ESPNU on ESPN2 so I could catch some of the Big XII quarters this afternoon.
kenrowe's Avatar kenrowe 11:11 AM 03-09-2007
Comcast and Sinclair Enter into Four-Year Extension of Analog and Digital Carriage Agreement

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070309/clf119.html?.v=8
raidbuck's Avatar raidbuck 11:29 AM 03-09-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoIrish View Post

It's not a space issue for Comcast. I believe it's simply MASN evaluating the cost and deciding they don't want to do HD for now and laying this at the feet of cable and satellite operators.

MASN wouldn't answer whether they were committed to doing HD for how long ? I still haven't heard them say they were willing to commit to it. Which in my opinion is a shame. No O's HD in '07

GoIrish

I'm very upset that MASN won't have HD in 2007. I asked them how HD customers should feel good about MASN taking over the Orioles when we lose 50-60 HD games this year. Of course, they gave no response.

Rich N.
CycloneGT's Avatar CycloneGT 11:41 AM 03-09-2007
The funniest thing is that they are young RSN. You would have thought that the would have bought HD equipment from the beginning to keep from having to replace it in a few years.
First ... 29  30  31 32  33  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop