AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewster1977 View Post

Why would the FCC have allowed another station use ch 9 if there was a chance of interference. A better Example is WTTG on RF36 in DC and WITF on RF 36 in Harrisburg, Most the allotments don't appear to have been thought through

Because there's not enough channels left to let every channel have no interference.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9362 of 13897 Old 06-14-2009, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vast View Post

Question on MHZ Networks (DTV CH 30-1 - 30-10):
However, I don't get a picture on channels 30-1 - 30-5. Channels 30-6 - 30-10 are good. The freq assignment on the Tivo list appears accurate...its 30.
-Brandon

Yes, tivo tribune have screwed up the channel mappings, I have given up complaining to tivo, best bet complain to the station and tell them to get tribune to put in the correct mappings. They had the same problem when they were broadcasting on 67 last year.

I had the same problem with whut, they fixed it a couple weeks after I complained, not sure if my phone call made any difference or if was just a coincidence.

I plan on calling Mhz on monday,

I am also not happy with there lack of useful guide data on the Metro Chinese Network, they don't have anything useful on their website either, Anyone know a source of guide data for this channel? It is supposed to be a channel of the United States Broadcasting Company, based in Rockville, but I haven't been able to find a website for them. I am going to ask my wife to do a search in Chinese to see if she can find anything.
post #9363 of 13897 Old 06-14-2009, 06:52 PM

does anyone know why the WJLA feed for the NBA finals has looked horrible for basically every cable provider?
post #9364 of 13897 Old 06-14-2009, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I am suffering inexplicable interference since Friday in the Annandale, VA area. I was formerly using a distribution amp in the attic, which I can no longer use at all or it wipes out all reception by my Dish Network VIP 612 receivers. The only new sources I know about is WNVC RF24 channels 30.1-5, which I have carefully aligned with what's a near null in my Winegard batwing antenna. According to all the ATSC tuners I own, this alignment worked, and (without the amp) I get a SS on 30 that's a little lower than my strongest DC stations. So what's going on here? Why after then transition can I no longer use that attic distribution amp? Is there some other source of interference (not tuned by an ATSC tuner) that came on last Friday?
post #9365 of 13897 Old 06-14-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billodom View Post

Apparently WUSA has no plans to boost their power, according to him.
I am pulling WUSA with 1 bar of signal strength (out of 10) and WJLA with about 5 out of 10. I have a call in to Fairfax Antenna. I'm not real keen about upgrading. I took a lot of grief from my HOA when I originally put up my UHF about eight years ago.

That's correct. According to the computer models we have hit the 0.5% interference with the station in Bethlehem, PA. We're all hoping that the model is wrong but that takes time to prove......
post #9366 of 13897 Old 06-14-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Because there's not enough channels left to let every channel have no interference.

- Trip

I know first hand that is has caused WITF problems, when i e-mailed there engineer last thats why they are replacing the 0.377kw analog translator in Chambersburg with a digital one at 5kw
post #9367 of 13897 Old 06-14-2009, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbaldwin View Post

There is not a lot of room in my attic for an antenna (I currently have a compact Clearstream4). Do you know of a good combo antenna under 5 feet long that would be good for 50 miles out? Thanks.

If you only have 5 feet to work with, the Antennacraft Y5-7-13 combined with your existing C-4 would be your best bet. Are you using a pre-amp of any kind now? Where are you located?
post #9368 of 13897 Old 06-14-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltore View Post

That's correct. According to the computer models we have hit the 0.5% interference with the station in Bethlehem, PA. We're all hoping that the model is wrong but that takes time to prove......

I was helping my parents with there converter tonight they get WJLA 7 solid, But WUSA 9 is constant breakup's and Fox 5 doen't come in at all these are the three channels they watch most.
post #9369 of 13897 Old 06-14-2009, 07:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by billodom View Post

I took a lot of grief from my HOA when I originally put up my UHF about eight years ago.

Tell the HOA to stick their antenna rule up their collective a$$es. The feds outlawed said clauses years and years ago.

That said, they keep trying. In this case, the developer of a new area in Middleton, WI, has a no outside antenna clause, no sat dishes large than 20" and no solar panels. He obviouslu hired lawyers that were yes-men. The no sat dish rule, federally, is 1 meter. The state law outlawed the no solar panel clause.

The sad part is that there are those who do not know the law regarding this stuff and actually do what it says.

I'm glad I live in an older neighborhood in Madison before HOAs were dreamed of. So, not only do I have an outside antenna, I have a 10' and a 12' set of BUDs on my property. Not one neighbor has ever said squat over the years.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #9370 of 13897 Old 06-14-2009, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKrell View Post

I am suffering inexplicable interference since Friday in the Annandale, VA area. . . . . The only new sources I know about is WNVC RF24 channels 30.1-5 . . . . So what's going on here? Why after then transition can I no longer use that attic distribution amp?

WNVC RF 24 is very potent in Annandale (& here too) You will no longer be able to use a distribution amp. A better antenna that is capable of providing enough gain all on it's own will solve your problem. How much room do you have in your attic?

WNVC has caused one of my Baltimore stations to dissappear, and I'm not using any amplification.
post #9371 of 13897 Old 06-14-2009, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post

WNVC RF 24 is very potent in Annandale (& here too) You will no longer be able to use a distribution amp.

No kidding. They're only 2.5 miles away from my house. However, I can indeed use a distribution amp if I carefully adjust the antenna (which I have done) so that it gets a weak signal from WNVC.

The sensitivity pattern of a dipole antenna has nulls (zero signal strength) at 0 and 90 deg, which is pointed along the direction of the elements themselves. Obviously I don't want WNVC to be sitting right exactly on a null, or I would receive no signal at all. Nevertheless, I adjusted my Winegard GS-1100 antenna so that the signal strength of WNVC (unamplified) is lower than my DC stations. Is WNVC bouncing off something and coming in on axis? Maybe. But if so, I don't see that SS showing up on any of my ATSC tuners.

I claim I'm getting something new, not tunable by an ATSC tuner, coming in on axis. And I furthermore claim it's not WNVC, which is sitting near a null of my antenna's sensntivity. Sorry; you can't use this trick in Arlington, although a conventional highly directional antenna with a high front-to-back ratio might do as well for you. Except for WNVT which would be precluded by that high front-to-back ratio.
post #9372 of 13897 Old 06-14-2009, 08:38 PM

I am in Merrifield with my bedroom HDTV hooked up to Cox cable with no HD box or DVR. Prior to the digital conversion, I had received NBC, FOX, ABC, and CBS HD channels beautifully (4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 5.1, 7.1, 7.2, 9.1, & 9.2). Ever since the digital conversion, these channels have been all screwed up. I have rescanned at least 8 times (with each scan taking 10-15 mins). Here is what I have been receiving when I go to each of these channels:

4.1: NBC Live Digital Doppler XT
4.2: NBC Live Digital Doppler XT
4.3: NBC Live Digital Doppler XT
5.1: WUSA-HD
7.1: NBC Live Digital Doppler XT
7.2: NBC Live Digital Doppler XT
7.3: NBC Live Digital Doppler XT
9.1: No picture - Digital channel signal strength is too low
9.2: No picture - Digital channel signal strength is too low

WTF??? Please at least tell me I am not the only one having these problems with Cox...
post #9373 of 13897 Old 06-14-2009, 08:42 PM

I have a small roof top antenna and i am able to pick up all the dc channels ( i have lost all Baltimore channels) but the signal is bit low around 6 and i have seen breaks up in the signal few times. I am looking for recommendation for an amplifier or a good vhf/uhf antenna that i can put in the attic. I am attaching my tvfool image. Any help would be appreciated.
LL
post #9374 of 13897 Old 06-14-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDavid View Post

I am in Merrifield with my bedroom HDTV hooked up to Cox cable with no HD box or DVR. Prior to the digital conversion, I had received NBC, FOX, ABC, and CBS HD channels beautifully (4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 5.1, 7.1, 7.2, 9.1, & 9.2). Ever since the digital conversion, these channels have been all screwed up. I have rescanned at least 8 times (with each scan taking 10-15 mins). Here is what I have been receiving when I go to each of these channels:

WTF??? Please at least tell me I am not the only one having these problems with Cox...

I'm in Dunn Loring and my Cox cable clear QAM channels are fine. I did not even do a re-scan on the cable channels, only for the OTA channels.
post #9375 of 13897 Old 06-14-2009, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No kidding. They're only 2.5 miles away from my house. However, I can indeed use a distribution amp if I carefully adjust the antenna (which I have done) so that it gets a weak signal from WNVC.

The only power increase right in DC so far has been WFDC-DT 14. They have increased power form 325 kw to 1000kw. That may be adding to your issues, but I am still leaning towards WNVC. At 2.5 miles, you will not be able to attenaute that signal but so much no matter what you do. A paperclip would easily pick it up in your basement (If you have one)
post #9376 of 13897 Old 06-14-2009, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnabi View Post

I have a small roof top antenna and i am able to pick up all the dc channels ( i have lost all Baltimore channels) but the signal is bit low around 6 and i have seen breaks up in the signal few times. I am looking for recommendation for an amplifier or a good vhf/uhf antenna that i can put in the attic. I am attaching my tvfool image. Any help would be appreciated.

What antenna do you have now? If you want Baltimore again, you will need to keep the antenna outside.
post #9377 of 13897 Old 06-14-2009, 09:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:

The only power increase right in DC so far has been WFDC-DT 14. They have increased power form 325 kw to 1000kw. That may be adding to your issues, but I am still leaning towards WNVC. At 2.5 miles, you will not be able to attenaute that signal but so much no matter what you do. A paperclip would easily pick it up in your basement (If you have one)

Do you think a channel 24 Join-Tenna hooked to nothing or a channel 24 trap of some kind might be successful in knocking out this particular problem?

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #9378 of 13897 Old 06-14-2009, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

If you only have 5 feet to work with, the Antennacraft Y5-7-13 combined with your existing C-4 would be your best bet. Are you using a pre-amp of any kind now? Where are you located?

I am in Fredericksburg and only have an amplified splitter now (a generic one from Home Depot, I think). I was thinking about picking up the 10G202 preamp if I get the Y5-7-13 antenna from Solid Signal. I also might be able to fit the AntennaCraft HBU22 combo antenna up there but it would have to be about 6 feet lower than the C-4. Which do you think would be the better option (HBU22 alone or C-4 plus Y5-7-13)? Thanks for your help.
post #9379 of 13897 Old 06-14-2009, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Do you think a channel 24 Join-Tenna hooked to nothing or a channel 24 trap of some kind might be successful in knocking out this particular problem?

- Trip

If the OP is just looking for DC stations, it would just be easier to avoid amplification altogether. I believe those jointennas are expensive.
post #9380 of 13897 Old 06-14-2009, 09:28 PM

Anyone have any experience with the ClearStream4? I am looking to replace my Square Shooter (UHF only) since I have only marginal reception on channels 11 & 13 since the transition, and I am looking for antenna that isn't real big to put up on the roof. Thanks.
post #9381 of 13897 Old 06-14-2009, 09:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

A paperclip would easily pick it up in your basement (If you have one)

Agree, but only if the paperclip isn't straightened out and pointed directly at WNVC.

I just went through all my unamplified signal strengths according to my Dish 612 receiver. Channels 7 and 20 are at 100. Most of the rest (including WNVC) are showing mid eighties. 4, 14, 26, 50, and 66 are all seventies. These results are all scrambled according to tvfool.com. We know why 30 isn's so strong. But why is 66 and 14 in the bottom tier rather than the top?
post #9382 of 13897 Old 06-14-2009, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbaldwin View Post

I am in Fredericksburg and only have an amplified splitter now (a generic one from Home Depot, I think). I was thinking about picking up the 10G202 preamp if I get the Y5-7-13 antenna from Solid Signal. I also might be able to fit the AntennaCraft HBU22 combo antenna up there but it would have to be about 6 feet lower than the C-4. Which do you think would be the better option (HBU22 alone or C-4 plus Y5-7-13)? Thanks for your help.

Definitely keep the C-4, and add the Y5-7-13. Join the 2 antennas together with a Channel Master 7777 or Winegard 2870 pre-amp.

The HBU-22 doesn't have enough gain for your situation. The best small combo is the Winegard 7694P, but your C-4 is much better on UHF.
post #9383 of 13897 Old 06-14-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:

I was helping my parents with there converter tonight they get WJLA 7 solid, But WUSA 9 is constant breakup's and Fox 5 doen't come in at all these are the three channels they watch most.

This is the same situation I'm having with two of my tv's. I have not solved it with one in the kitchen, which has a bow-tie terk antennae (uhf only?), but the other tv with a CECB seems to get it if you put the rabbit ears down flat on both sides, non extended facing the transceiver (to the northeast).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDavid View Post

When I scan qam on cox here, there are many duplicates for each major channel, and the sub channels.....on several physical channels. (partially something to do with sdv?)
post #9384 of 13897 Old 06-14-2009, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

Why would the FCC have allowed another station use ch 9 if there was a chance of interference. A better Example is WTTG on RF36 in DC and WITF on RF 36 in Harrisburg, Most the allotments don't appear to have been thought through

The contour maps listed on the FCC web site overlap by a good 15 miles. Interference outside of the maps is one thing, but to admit that they overlap by 15 miles is ridiculous.
post #9385 of 13897 Old 06-14-2009, 10:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 933 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:

One MILLION WATTS?!?!

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #9386 of 13897 Old 06-14-2009, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

Agree, but only if the paperclip isn't straightened out and pointed directly at WNVC.

I just went through all my unamplified signal strengths according to my Dish 612 receiver. Channels 7 and 20 are at 100. Most of the rest (including WNVC) are showing mid eighties. 4, 14, 26, 50, and 66 are all seventies. These results are all scrambled according to tvfool.com. We know why 30 isn's so strong. But why is 66 and 14 in the bottom tier rather than the top?

The trouble with this is that the signal strength readings in consumer equipment are not necessarily actual signal strengths, but more likely based on digital error rates. In other words, if the tuner front end is overloaded, you might see a lower number, even though the signal strength is really very high.
post #9387 of 13897 Old 06-14-2009, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

WNVC has caused one of my Baltimore stations to dissappear, and I'm not using any amplification.

Which one?
post #9388 of 13897 Old 06-14-2009, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I hope evryone had a fun weekend.

Here's my current situation.

ANALOG STATIONS (234°M)
4 (NL), 5 (NL), 10 (PBS), 15 (PBS), 22 (PBS), 28 (PBS), 42 (3ABN), 48 (PBS), & 50 (W50DE). There's indication that I could be seeing even more, but I would need a spectrum analyzer to confirm.

DIGITAL STATIONS*
2 (WMAR-DT 132°M), 5, 7, 9, 10 (WTAJ-DT 333°M), 13 (WJZ-DT 132°M), 24, 25, 31, 42, 43 (WPMT-DT 88°M), 49 (WGCB-DT 88°M), 54, 60, 66, 67, & 68.

I'm really surpised that I can't get WHAG-DT beyond a Southerly window. At 1000KW, I would think that I could get it without pointing the antenna towards the tower. WJAL-DT is receivable no matter where I point the antenna and it's much, much lower in transmitting power. Both are LOS and WJAL-DT is at 15 miles, while WHAG-DT is at 20 miles.

*Trouble DTV stations are 2, 5, 7, 9, & 13.
post #9389 of 13897 Old 06-14-2009, 11:25 PM

You should see the 13 page thread on the WJLA talk-back forums: http://cfc.wjla.com/forums/viewmessa...srow=1&erow=10

Or the three pages of comments on one WUSA9 posting....

http://www.wusa9.com/money/story.asp...id=37#comments
post #9390 of 13897 Old 06-15-2009, 12:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblo View Post

The trouble with this is that the signal strength readings in consumer equipment are not necessarily actual signal strengths, but more likely based on digital error rates. In other words, if the tuner front end is overloaded, you might see a lower number, even though the signal strength is really very high.

Aha! [Insert lightbulb here.] I think you've put your finger on the problem. I really can't do what I'm trying to do (null out WNVC) using a SS meter that operates like that.

Can you recommend a cheap meter that will?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page