Washington, DC / Baltimore, MD - HDTV - Page 315 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #9421 of 13816 Old 06-15-2009, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
afiggatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Sterling, VA
Posts: 4,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblo View Post

So the faint analog I've been seeing this weekend on 58 is Asiavision?

WIAV-LP Asiavision 58 has a very limited coverage area NE of DC that does include the College Park area. I have never seen it from Sterling. I have seen the analog 58 signal from W58DK, the Virginia Public TV translator located west of Culpepper on the Blue Ridge at night, even though I am way outside the coverage area for it. I checked the analog tuner for channel 58 over the weekend and did not see it. No idea if W58DK is still on the air or not.

WIAV-LP recently filed 2 applications for displacement allotments: one for analog low power on VHF 4 at 3 kW with a modest increase in coverage and another one for digital low power on UHF 43 at 10 kW which would provide a major boost in population coverage of 1029% over their UHF 58 signal. If I were WIAV, I would hope the FCC grants the digital RF 43 application.

BTW, WHAG-DT NBC 25 is operating at 575 kW, not 1000 kW. Still a stronger signal than the analog 25 they had. I have picked up WHAG-DT with a Silver Sensor aimed at it on the upper floor, but I still have to rework my UHF setup to see if I can pull in WHAG-DT while also getting the DC and Baltimore stations.
afiggatt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9422 of 13816 Old 06-15-2009, 02:41 PM
Member
 
dewster1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was able to lock onto WBAL, WJZ, WPXW, WDCA, WJLA and WUSA early this morning, but once the sun was up they dropped to low to decode, so atleast I know the signal is there.

I still see no reason someone should have to replace an antenna that has served them well for years (as long as it is the proper band). I just think the FCC really underestimated the needed power for DTV.

Anyone with problem should file a complaint with the FCC
dewster1977 is offline  
post #9423 of 13816 Old 06-15-2009, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
machpost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckydc View Post

FYI. Just noticed that WDCW has fired up there 50.2 Thistv subchannel, albeit with no audio or video. At least nothing my dtt901 can decode. They are transmitting PSIP info though. The current Thistv movie is something about drilling to the core of the earth to find a new species. Must be really dark/quiet down there.

I'm not seeing 50.2 at all. They must be testing things in preparation for the official launch.
machpost is offline  
post #9424 of 13816 Old 06-15-2009, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
TheKrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblo View Post

No, I don't have one of those. AntAltMike might know, if he's still reading the forum.

I've been discussing this WNVC overload problem with a ham colleague, and he has agreed with Digital Rules. He says, due to the 2.5mi distance, the signal is going to bounce off most anything and enter my antenna on axis, effectively filling in the nulls. So I can't get rid of this overload condition by rotating a dipole antenna. So much for my well-laid plans. If this is true, and I think it is, then acquiring a SS meter is pointless, no pun intended.

This leaves attenuators, preferably tuned to RF24, to fix the situation and allow me to amplify again. I've been emailing the chief engineer at MHz Networks, but he says he has none, and instead recomended a tunable attenuator that costs $200. Don't stations have to do something to ameliorate the situation near their transmitters?
TheKrell is offline  
post #9425 of 13816 Old 06-15-2009, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Digital Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 1,642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Any reason you don't want to replace the antenna? I think that would be the most cost effective way to solve your problem. You should easily be able to feed 3-4 TV's with an unamplified system & the right antenna.
Digital Rules is offline  
post #9426 of 13816 Old 06-15-2009, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Digital Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 1,642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt View Post

WIAV-LP Asiavision 58 has a very limited coverage area NE of DC that does include the College Park area.

You're right, there is a station on 58 analog. They are showing some pretty hard core hip-hop videos right now. (Not edited) I didn't think you could use the "F" word on commercial TV? I guess times are a chan'gin. It's called "The Real Hip-Hop Network".
Digital Rules is offline  
post #9427 of 13816 Old 06-15-2009, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
TheKrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post

Any reason you don't want to replace the antenna? I think that would be the most cost effective way to solve your problem. You should easily be able to feed 3-4 TV's with an unamplified system & the right antenna.

Was that addressed to me?

What antenna would you have me buy, and where should I point it? Note that I can get DC stations now, but not Baltimore and not WNVT as I could before the transition. My ham friend recommended a highly directional deep fringe antenna the better to ignore WNVC, plus a variable attenuator to keep the DC stations from blasting my tuners. Some of the other strong channels (66) are already pixelating, even using the relatively low-gain Winegard batwing without an amp to confuse the issue.

3 HDTVs and 3 satellite receivers + 2 tuner sticks + 1 PCI tuner = 9 feeds already, not counting my old analog TVs and converter boxes (currently unhooked.)
TheKrell is offline  
post #9428 of 13816 Old 06-15-2009, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Digital Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 1,642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKrell View Post

Was that addressed to me?

What antenna would you have me buy, and where should I point it? If it's ugly, it's going into the attic and not up on the roof.

3 HDTVs and 3 satellite receivers + 2 tuner sticks + 1 PCI tuner = 9 feeds already, not counting my old analog TVs and converter boxes (currently unhooked.)

Yes,

Are you just looking for the DC stations? I didn't realize you needed that many splits.
Digital Rules is offline  
post #9429 of 13816 Old 06-15-2009, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
TheKrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post

Are you just looking for the DC stations

No, I want them all most particularly the Baltimore stations and WNVT that I had before WNVC came back on the air. I already have the DC stations, though some are (apparently) too strong even without amplification for the nearest tuners. I say that because my strongest stations are not showing up that way on my SS meters. Joblo attributed this to the meters not really measuring SS, but rather the digital error rate.
TheKrell is offline  
post #9430 of 13816 Old 06-16-2009, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
TheKrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
What happened? Everybody sort out their problems?

What are the FCC rules regarding interference between one station and others? I'm having big problems with a nearby station WNVC that just returned to the air last Friday. Don't they have to do something to mitigate the effect their transmissions are having on other stations?
TheKrell is offline  
post #9431 of 13816 Old 06-16-2009, 09:21 AM
Member
 
Hardtimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post

Unfortunately, with digital VHF being more subject to multipath, you will need a more directional antenna to continue receiving 7 & 9 from DC reliably. The 4228 just doesn't tolerate multipath well.

Your cheapest option is to augment the 4228 with the Antennacraft Y5-7-13. Combine the 2 antennas with a "UVSJ". If you desire a 1 antenna solution, the Winegard 7694P is the best bang for the buck.


Thanks for the advice. I thought VHF was supposed to be better I used to have a deep fringe yagi but it was too directional and wouldn't allow me to pick up Balt & DC without rotation, which is impractical with multiple sets viewing different channels simultaneously, hence the 4228. I printed out the Antennacraft info to look at but I wish there was a way to test it out before buying...

I have a 7777 pre amp which if I remember correctly has both UHF and VHF inputs. Can I skip the UVSJ and just plug the new antenna in there?

Thanks!
Hardtimes is offline  
post #9432 of 13816 Old 06-16-2009, 09:29 AM
Member
 
Hardtimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt View Post

The CM 4228 gain has a notch for VHF 8 and poorer gain for VHF 7 than 9 to 13. It is a UHF antenna with some performance for upper VHF, but the performance for VHF 7 is only a little better than rabbit ears. Your TVFool chart shows you 54 miles from WJLA. At that range, you should have been prepared to get a upper VHF antenna all along. Check the VHF performance for UHF antennas chart at HDTVPrimer for the CM4228: http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/comparing.html. According to the page on the old CM 4228, you can boost the VHF gain a little by tying the two screens together: http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/cm4228.html.

Thanks for the links!
Hardtimes is offline  
post #9433 of 13816 Old 06-16-2009, 09:39 AM
Senior Member
 
djp952's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Elkridge, MD
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtimes View Post

I have a 7777 pre amp which if I remember correctly has both UHF and VHF inputs. Can I skip the UVSJ and just plug the new antenna in there?

Thanks!

Yeah, just be sure to crack the 7777 open and flip the switch that's inside. By default, I believe the 7777 is set for a combined VHF/UHF input only.
djp952 is offline  
post #9434 of 13816 Old 06-16-2009, 10:32 AM
Member
 
compuguy1088's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NoVA
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There is now an article in the washington post about the DTV issues, linking to this thread:
Quote:
Goodbye, Analog TV. Hello, Digital TV.

It's over. Except it's not.


http://voices.washingtonpost.com/fas...lo_digita.html

compuguy1088 is offline  
post #9435 of 13816 Old 06-16-2009, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
afiggatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Sterling, VA
Posts: 4,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKrell View Post

What happened? Everybody sort out their problems?

What are the FCC rules regarding interference between one station and others? I'm having big problems with a nearby station WNVC that just returned to the air last Friday. Don't they have to do something to mitigate the effect their transmissions are having on other stations?

The FCC rules on interference deal with co-channel or adjacent channel spacing between stations. Your problem, if I have kept track through the sheer volume of posts here and other asvforum threads, is that you are located close to the WNVC tower, but the signal is overloading your distribution amp. The solutions to that are either to have no broadcast towers at all or place them miles away from any residential neighborhoods.

WNVC MHz 56 is at 160 kW which is not that strong a UHF signal compared to the 1000 kW maximum allowed for UHF digital or the 5000 kW that analog WHUT 32 was at. WNVC is on UHF 24, one up from the low power WDDN-LP Daystar 23 in DC with no nearby station operating on UHF 25. It is not a frequency interference problem, just a signal overload problem. A notch or suppression filter on the antenna feed to the amp should do the trick.

As for the thread quieting down, fatigue and the work week are probably the reason. I have been experimenting and hope that a CM 4221 with the backscreen removed will get me WHAG-DT 25 while also pulling in WNVT 30, WNVC, the DC and Baltimore UHF stations in different directions. My Winegard upper VHF antenna has pulled in WJZ 13 at 43 miles but only at night with a lot of dropouts and no luck at all on getting a lock for WBAL 11. 5 kW for upper VHF is not nearly enough for a station that was operating at 316 kW analog.

I also did some testing with rabbit ears and they were not adequate to get WJLA 7 and WUSA 9 reliably now at 16 miles. Hence the flood of complaints from both the pre-trans digital viewers who got UHF antennas with rabbit ears AND the analog viewers with rabbit ears who are not close to NW DC. Interestingly the CM 4221 did pull in WJLA and WUSA when I tried it, but that was a short test.
afiggatt is offline  
post #9436 of 13816 Old 06-16-2009, 01:33 PM
Newbie
 
robpegoraro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by compuguy1088 View Post

There is now an article in the washington post about the DTV issues, linking to this thread:

Thanks for noticing that blog post! FYI, one of my colleagues, Kim Hart, is working on a piece about WJLA and WUSA's problems and welcomes reports from people who have been dealing with them. You can reach her at hartk@washpost.com.
robpegoraro is offline  
post #9437 of 13816 Old 06-16-2009, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
nottenst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bowie, MD
Posts: 781
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
From reading the comments to Rob's Faster Forward I saw that WJLA has a page addressing some of the issues at
http://cfc.wjla.com/external.cfm?p=dtv_vhf
One item of interest there:
Quote:


For the past 10 years, WJLA has operated their digital signals in the UHF (ultra high frequency) television band on channel 39. To provide a better signal to you, we returned to channel 7 when we made the FINAL transition to all-digital television. Channel 7 is in the VHF (very high frequency) television band and will provide a stronger, better signal to your home.

So, they thought we would be getting a better signal when they went from UHF to VHF, but apparently that does not seem to be the case at the moment.
nottenst is offline  
post #9438 of 13816 Old 06-16-2009, 02:19 PM
Member
 
euckersw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Falls Church, VA
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUOrangeman View Post

Cox NoVA updates:

Added MPTDT (767), MPT2 (812), and ?MPT3? (22, SD simulcast of MPT as far as I can tell ... I thought this was s'posed to be V-ME)
Added WPXW Ion (715), displacing Palladia to 769
Added WHUT (32, I guess)

-SUO

So for those of you who now receive both MPT and WETA is there any consensus as to which has better picture quality? I record The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer every night and I'm wondering if I should be recording the MPT version of the WETA version? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
euckersw is offline  
post #9439 of 13816 Old 06-16-2009, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
TheKrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks for all your comments, which are spot on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt View Post

A notch or suppression filter on the antenna feed to the amp should do the trick.

Fully agree! Only problem; I can't find a fixed notch filter except what appear to be very expensive custom-built OEM filters, and this tunable one for $70. Short of designing and building one myself, are there any suppliers out there that have more affordable filters?
TheKrell is offline  
post #9440 of 13816 Old 06-16-2009, 02:47 PM
Member
 
compuguy1088's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NoVA
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nottenst View Post

From reading the comments to Rob's Faster Forward I saw that WJLA has a page addressing some of the issues at
http://cfc.wjla.com/external.cfm?p=dtv_vhf
One item of interest there:So, they thought we would be getting a better signal when they went from UHF to VHF, but apparently that does not seem to be the case at the moment.

From reading that link, they apparently don't understand that for most people, the move from uhf to vhf has resulted in a WEAKER signal. When it was on uhf, ALL of our atsc tuners with indoor antennae were able to pick it up. Now it is restricted to quite a bit of fiddling/angling of the rabbit ears to get a WEAKER signal. One of our tv's cannot even get 9 because of its location. The only good thing is if your able to get wusa, it seems to have less multipath issues.
compuguy1088 is offline  
post #9441 of 13816 Old 06-16-2009, 02:58 PM
Newbie
 
robpegoraro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nottenst View Post

One item of interest there:So, they thought we would be getting a better signal when they went from UHF to VHF, but apparently that does not seem to be the case at the moment.

Right. But to be fair, I'm one of the people who suggested that the move to VHF would only increase their coverage--the FCC's post-transition coverage predictions all said as much. So this current situation has led to some... [ahem] awkward interactions with a few readers.

- R
robpegoraro is offline  
post #9442 of 13816 Old 06-16-2009, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Belcherwm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Haymarket, Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Unlike most folks I seem to be doing pretty good with my reception of WJLA (99%) and WUSA (97%). I had to scan/add them individually on both my DISH 612 and 722.

This is from a post I wrote back in March 2004. Everything is the same except for my DISH receivers:

Quote:


I'm using an Radio Shack VU-120XR, w/ rotator, no preamp. Tried it in the attic but signal wasn't consistent. I bought all the equipment (~$150) and had Fairfax Antenna (~$200) put it up on my roof ( 40' to the peak & 45 degree pitch). It's on a tripod with about 15' of mast and three guy wires. Used RG6QS. Everthing is WELL grounded. Feeding a Dish 6000.

After a couple of years I added a Radio Shack 15-1196, 1 in to 2 Bi Directional Amp, to split the signal to a second Dish 6000. A preamp did not improve my signal, but this amp did.

I'm getting outstanding reception from D.C. (35mi) and Baltimore (60mi). I think a lot of my success is due to being several hundred feet above sea level.

I went with the UHF/VHF setup playing the odds that some of the stations will revert back to their VHF signals for digital when everything shakes out.

Belcherwm is offline  
post #9443 of 13816 Old 06-16-2009, 03:04 PM
Member
 
fmw63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Landover Hills, MD
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Really, how much of the WJLA & WUSA problem is people trying to pick up VHF channels with UHF antennas?
fmw63 is offline  
post #9444 of 13816 Old 06-16-2009, 04:08 PM
Senior Member
 
mdviewer25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Capitol Heights, MD
Posts: 456
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How did WBAL end up with only 5kw of power and why did the FCC think that they had to protect ch. 12 from Martinsburg, WV when that channel is just a duplicate of ch. 34?

HD DVD = 102
BD = 45
mdviewer25 is offline  
post #9445 of 13816 Old 06-16-2009, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dg28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Boyds, MD
Posts: 1,257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My experience so far: Lost WJLA and WUSA completely on an indoor UHF/VHF antenna (all locals came in fine before the transition via UHF). For my attic mount Radio Shack 15-2160 UHF-only antenna, I lost all Baltimore channels with the exception of WUTB24. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense that I would lose WMARDT and WBFFDT, since both are still broadcasting on UHF. Can get sporadic WUSA9 on this antenna, but no WJLA. I know this part of the equation is on me for having the UHF-only antenna at this point, but the rest of my story doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
dg28 is offline  
post #9446 of 13816 Old 06-16-2009, 05:00 PM
Newbie
 
joehult's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So has anyone gotten any real explanation on wusa drop out. Are they reduced power, or using a temporary transmitter at the moment? Because I can get abc just fine, but the tv doesn't detect anything at channel 9.
joehult is offline  
post #9447 of 13816 Old 06-16-2009, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MrHifi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Davidsonville, MD
Posts: 2,839
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt View Post

The FCC rules on interference deal with co-channel or adjacent channel spacing between stations. Your problem, if I have kept track through the sheer volume of posts here and other asvforum threads, is that you are located close to the WNVC tower, but the signal is overloading your distribution amp. The solutions to that are either to have no broadcast towers at all or place them miles away from any residential neighborhoods.

WNVC MHz 56 is at 160 kW which is not that strong a UHF signal compared to the 1000 kW maximum allowed for UHF digital or the 5000 kW that analog WHUT 32 was at. WNVC is on UHF 24, one up from the low power WDDN-LP Daystar 23 in DC with no nearby station operating on UHF 25. It is not a frequency interference problem, just a signal overload problem. A notch or suppression filter on the antenna feed to the amp should do the trick.

As for the thread quieting down, fatigue and the work week are probably the reason. I have been experimenting and hope that a CM 4221 with the backscreen removed will get me WHAG-DT 25 while also pulling in WNVT 30, WNVC, the DC and Baltimore UHF stations in different directions. My Winegard upper VHF antenna has pulled in WJZ 13 at 43 miles but only at night with a lot of dropouts and no luck at all on getting a lock for WBAL 11. 5 kW for upper VHF is not nearly enough for a station that was operating at 316 kW analog.

I also did some testing with rabbit ears and they were not adequate to get WJLA 7 and WUSA 9 reliably now at 16 miles. Hence the flood of complaints from both the pre-trans digital viewers who got UHF antennas with rabbit ears AND the analog viewers with rabbit ears who are not close to NW DC. Interestingly the CM 4221 did pull in WJLA and WUSA when I tried it, but that was a short test.

It took me 2 hours to adjust my father's rabbit ears 4 miles from the towers up Connecticut Avenue in Kensington. 7 and 9 are almost impossible to capture while picking up 5, 7, 20 and 26. Sad day for old folks. My 95 year old father who lives alone kept asking me "Why would they make it worse"?

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
MrHifi is offline  
post #9448 of 13816 Old 06-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
markbulla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Laurel, MD (PG County - The REAL Laurel!)
Posts: 541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dg28 View Post

My experience so far: Lost WJLA and WUSA completely on an indoor UHF/VHF antenna (all locals came in fine before the transition via UHF). For my attic mount Radio Shack 15-2160 UHF-only antenna, I lost all Baltimore channels with the exception of WUTB24. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense that I would lose WMARDT and WBFFDT, since both are still broadcasting on UHF. Can get sporadic WUSA9 on this antenna, but no WJLA. I know this part of the equation is on me for having the UHF-only antenna at this point, but the rest of my story doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Did you lose WBFF and WNUV? They didn't change anything...

Mark
markbulla is offline  
post #9449 of 13816 Old 06-16-2009, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
afiggatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Sterling, VA
Posts: 4,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdviewer25 View Post

How did WBAL end up with only 5kw of power and why did the FCC think that they had to protect ch. 12 from Martinsburg, WV when that channel is just a duplicate of ch. 34?

WBAL-DT 11 is protecting WVPT-DT PBS 51 on RF 11 in Harrisonburg. There is also WHTM-DT ABC 27 on RF 10 in Harrisburg, PA their 5 kW application shows 0.1% population interference with. WPXW-DT Ion 60 on RF 12 is not a concern for WBAL-DT. I exchanged emails with the station engineer with WBAL over the weekend, he is well aware of the problems with the low power.

WUSA-DT 9 is at their post-transition allotment of 12.6 kW. They have to protect WGAL-DT NBC 8 in Lancaster, PA (0.03% interference) and WBPH-DT 60 on RF 9 in Bethelem, but WBPH-DT shows 0.0% interference in their 12.6 kW application. I suspect that WUSA-DT should be able to be alloted a higher power level without great difficulty, if WUSA asks. But how much more, I don't know.

WJZ-DT 13 is having to protect WWPX-DT - next channel down. However, I just found in a CDBS search that WJZ-DT filed today a engineering STA to operate at 27.5 kW from their current omni-directional antenna! The STA would cause 1.46% interference with WWPX. This would ONLY be in place until their new directional antenna was installed in 3 weeks. Which means I would likely lose WJZ-DT 13 when the new antenna is in place as the power in my direction in Sterling would be around 10 kW - what WJZ-DT has now.

WJZ-DT Engineering STA application: http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws....&fac_num=25455.
afiggatt is offline  
post #9450 of 13816 Old 06-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Newbie
 
REDSKINSFAN47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: woodbine md
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmw63 View Post

Really, how much of the WJLA & WUSA problem is people trying to pick up VHF channels with UHF antennas?

i,ll bet alot,i live in woodbine md about 35 miles out,7 and 9 were good before but are a little better now.i have a small rca antenna on the roof,7,9 11,13 are tricky with indoor antennaa around here.
REDSKINSFAN47 is offline  
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off