Washington, DC / Baltimore, MD - HDTV - Page 325 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2009, 05:22 PM
Member
 
chamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Franklin County, Pa
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockvilleJ View Post

I first tried the monitor. Even went so far as so unplug the brick, but no change in channel 7.

I do have a UPS and so I turned it off. But again no change on the TV.

I don't have WiFi.

As for the power supply, it's a new Zalman 750 watt unit. I regularly build pcs, so this was part of the components that I bought to build a new gaming pc for myself. The odd thing is that this was the 2nd power supply that I bought because after I got the first one and powered up, I noticed that I was getting interference on the analog (at the time) channel 7 so I immediately suspected the power supply. So, I RMA'd that one, which was an OCZ 750 watt unit and got the Zalman. I could try putting in another one that I have on hand just to see if by sheer coincidence that both power supplies were doing the same thing.

I also suspected the video card and again the current one is the 2nd one in the pc as it was replaced after the first one failed right after the pc was completed. And the interference occurred while each video card was in the pc.

The only other things that are have been in the pc from the start are 2 new SATA hard drives, new motherboard and new memory.

I appreciate the thoughts given here.

I would not suspect the hard drives or the memory, but I would not totally rule them out. I would look elsewhere first.
The 750 Watt power supply is a biggie, and I would swap it out with a spare at least for a moment. Could be a video card especially since you have one that probably is not very common.

You could be missing the 3rd wire Ground in your AC receptacle too. You case may not be grounded like you think it is. You may even have a main power panel that has a loose connection on this ground. Can you plug your PC into a different power source especially one in another room. Get a long Extension cord.
Your whole Main power Panel may have lost its ground.

A mother board could be causing this too, but I would look everyplace else first.

Try installing a smaller power supply if you have one. 750 Watts is going to output some RF noise. You can not shield the power supply much. You have to allow heat to escape.
chamb is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-25-2009, 08:09 PM
Newbie
 
RockvilleJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamb View Post

I would not suspect the hard drives or the memory, but I would not totally rule them out. I would look elsewhere first.
The 750 Watt power supply is a biggie, and I would swap it out with a spare at least for a moment. Could be a video card especially since you have one that probably is not very common.

You could be missing the 3rd wire Ground in your AC receptacle too. You case may not be grounded like you think it is. You may even have a main power panel that has a loose connection on this ground. Can you plug your PC into a different power source especially one in another room. Get a long Extension cord.
Your whole Main power Panel may have lost its ground.

A mother board could be causing this too, but I would look everyplace else first.

Try installing a smaller power supply if you have one. 750 Watts is going to output some RF noise. You can not shield the power supply much. You have to allow heat to escape.

I will swap out the power supply tomorrow for a smaller one that I know did not interfere before. As for the third wire ground, couldn't I use an electrical current testing tool between the hot wire and the ground wire to check out the continuity? If the ground isn't good, then the circuit won't be complete, right? I believe plugging the pc into another outlet, even on a different floor would still eventually go back to the issue of the ground in the main panel box. How would I now if the ground was not proper in the main panel box?

But if it was a loose ground wire in this particular outlet, then it would make a difference. Anyhow, I'll try out different outlets on different floors with an extension cord.

Regarding the video card, this is the 2nd one that I have had in the pc and changing it out when the first one died, didn't alter the interference and putting a different card in there would be problematic since it's a newer type slot for which I don't have any extra cards lying around. But I'll keep wrestling with the issue.
RockvilleJ is offline  
Old 06-25-2009, 09:26 PM
Member
 
voltore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
One thing I found when I moved from COX to FiOS, the local HD(Including WUSA which I keep an eye on with a fine toothcomb) looked better on the Motorola STB compared with the Cox Scientific STB. As I know they're doing a 19.39Mb/s passthrough onto a QAM carrier, I'm assuming the decoder is somewhat better (or they've cheated the response somewhere in the decoder!). I was somewhat surprised.
voltore is offline  
Old 06-26-2009, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Digital Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 1,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Anybody know why we are getting WHAG 25 on FIOS channel 515? Is this a fluke?
Digital Rules is offline  
Old 06-26-2009, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Big J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,954
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by huesmann View Post

I'm in Kensington, MD. I went from a UHF-only antenna to a Winegard HD-7000R, supposedly VHF/UHF/FM. I don't get a good signal from WUSA 9, occasional pixellation. All the other channels I'm more or less happy with. WUSA's digital signal was fine before the conversion. I do have a pre-amp at the antenna and an amplifier inside (signal is split to several devices). Anything I can do?

I still no longer get a good signal from 9.1 anymore. I contacted them and explained that I used to be able to before the conversion, but they had no advise. All they said, was that they were putting out as much power as they were allowed, and asked if I could get channel 7.
Any ideas?
J
Big J is offline  
Old 06-26-2009, 06:39 AM
Newbie
 
SternLover21215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All,

I want to thank ProjectSHO89 for you great advise.

I decided to go with the DB2 and the AD C5 antennas. I did all my research figured out everything I needed. Well, I got up this morning this morning to order my equipment and I was just flipping through the channels and I noticed I had channel WJLA was coming in perfect and WUSA was coming in very spotty. For the past 2 weeks in Baltimore I haven't been able to get them. Have these station increased their power?

Now that I can get a WJLA and a spotty WUSA with my Winegard SS-3000, I'm thinking I can get a more powerful indoor antenna to get WUSA clear, or would it be better to get a DB2/DB4 and put it on the roof?

Any advise is appreciated.
SternLover21215 is offline  
Old 06-26-2009, 07:00 AM
Member
 
voltore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big J View Post

All they said, was that they were putting out as much power as they were allowed, and asked if I could get channel 7.Any ideas?
J

That's a fair response, then once we know that, we can ask more. A fair amount of emails don't give enough information to offer advice. Most often they won't give their location
voltore is offline  
Old 06-26-2009, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Digital Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 1,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big J View Post

I still no longer get a good signal from 9.1 anymore. I contacted them and explained that I used to be able to before the conversion, but they had no advise. All they said, was that they were putting out as much power as they were allowed, and asked if I could get channel 7.
Any ideas?
J

The overamplification of your system is the root of your problem. Since WUSA is now on VHF, you are noticing it's effects now where you didn't before. How many devices do you need to power from your antenna? You shouldn't need any boost unless you are running maybe 6 or more tuners off that antenna. A paperclip should be able to pick up WUSA in Kensington.
Digital Rules is offline  
Old 06-26-2009, 07:11 AM
Member
 
chamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Franklin County, Pa
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockvilleJ View Post

I will swap out the power supply tomorrow for a smaller one that I know did not interfere before. As for the third wire ground, couldn't I use an electrical current testing tool between the hot wire and the ground wire to check out the continuity? If the ground isn't good, then the circuit won't be complete, right? I believe plugging the pc into another outlet, even on a different floor would still eventually go back to the issue of the ground in the main panel box. How would I now if the ground was not proper in the main panel box?

But if it was a loose ground wire in this particular outlet, then it would make a difference. Anyhow, I'll try out different outlets on different floors with an extension cord.

Regarding the video card, this is the 2nd one that I have had in the pc and changing it out when the first one died, didn't alter the interference and putting a different card in there would be problematic since it's a newer type slot for which I don't have any extra cards lying around. But I'll keep wrestling with the issue.


Plugging the PC into a different outlet will prove if your outlet has a missing or loose ground connection, You are correct, It will not prove that main power panel is grounded correctly. A tester would probably prove an outlet had a totally missing ground, but might not catch a ground wire that is just loose and not connected tightly.

To prove a main power panel is not grounded properly, is really an electricians job. You want to know how to do things safely there. Sometimes a ground wire will loosen up there especially if aluminum wire was used. Aluminum tends to give problems like this, but it is used because it is cheaper than copper wire. It is normally just a matter of tightening up the big screws on the ground wires there, but again, you do not want to make a mistake there or you will get burned or even killed.

If your two video cards were of a different manufacturer, and you had the problems with both of them, then I would not think you have a video card problem. But if both cards were from the same manufacturer, then the video card is still a suspect. If both cards were the same model, you could have a manufacturers design problem and you could swap 10 of them and still have the problem.

I still suspect the power supply, but really it could be anything in the PC.
Yes, even a case fan. Not likely, but it does happen.
It could be memory, disk drives or a mother board. I would not suspect any of them, but it sure is difficult to troubleshoot it from a distance. CD or DVD drives would not be a suspect, but unplugging the power on them and booting the PC will prove if they are the culprits.
Try moving the various cable around. Make sure they are not tied together very tightly into a bundle.
Could it be a Cable or DSL modem that you are turning off when you turn the PC off? Anything else that gets turned off when you shut down you PC. Like a printer or scanner??? Or even a digital clock.
If you are not using Wi-Fi, are you using "power Line Networking"??
chamb is offline  
Old 06-26-2009, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Digital Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 1,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SternLover21215 View Post

. . . . . Well, I got up this morning this morning to order my equipment and I was just flipping through the channels and I noticed I had channel WJLA was coming in perfect and WUSA was coming in very spotty. For the past 2 weeks in Baltimore I haven't been able to get them. Have these station increased their power?

No,

The atmosphere has been favorable for long distance signal enhancement lately. This is very common in warmer weather.
Digital Rules is offline  
Old 06-26-2009, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
afiggatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Sterling, VA
Posts: 4,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post

Anybody know why we are getting WHAG 25 on FIOS channel 515? Is this a fluke?

I was not expecting Verizon to add WHAG NBC 25 to the HD line-up. But it is there and in the guide this morning. Was expecting Verizon to add WPXW Ion 66 to the HD local line-up next - and they still have not. Hagerstown is a subset of the Washington DC market and the new WHAG digital broadcast signal now covers much of the north and western areas of the DC metro area (and west of Baltimore as well), so maybe Nexstar Broadcasting talked Verizon into carrying the HD channel.

I can get WHAG-DT over the air from Sterling, but it has been tricky to find a aim and location for the CM 4221 that also gets all the DC stations, WNVC 30.1, WNVT 30.6, and the Baltimore stations including WUTB 24 at the same time. The trade-off has been between getting WUTB 24 reliably or getting a stable picture for WHAG. I can get WHAG 25 with a indoor Silver Sensor if I aim the antenna to the NW.

The advantage to getting WHAG is that it currently has no SD sub-channels. Until WHAG add sub-channels - and very likely eventually will do so - it should offer better picture quality for NBC programming, especially for sports. Would be useful if someone with a TivoHD or PC tuner setup could measure the bandwidth for WRC 4.1 and WHAG 25.1. However, I have not seen any closed captions for WHAG-DT over the air, so the station is lagging in adding CC equipment. WHAG-DT apparently does not show any syndicated HD programming, but then again, neither does NBC owned WRC.
afiggatt is offline  
Old 06-26-2009, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Big J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,954
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post

The overamplification of your system is the root of your problem. Since WUSA is now on VHF, you are noticing it's effects now where you didn't before. How many devices do you need to power from your antenna? You shouldn't need any boost unless you are running maybe 6 or more tuners off that antenna. A paperclip should be able to pick up WUSA in Kensington.

I'm not in Kensington, I'm in Germantown, and I was getting 9.1 and 9.2 perfectly before.
Big J is offline  
Old 06-26-2009, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Digital Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 1,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big J View Post

I'm not in Kensington, I'm in Germantown, and I was getting 9.1 and 9.2 perfectly before.

Oooops, My apologies, I had you confused with huesmann.

You will be lucky to get WUSA-DT 9 reliably with any attic antenna in Germantown. Do you get WJLA-DT 7?
Digital Rules is offline  
Old 06-26-2009, 08:57 AM
Newbie
 
RockvilleJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamb View Post

Plugging the PC into a different outlet will prove if your outlet has a missing or loose ground connection, You are correct, It will not prove that main power panel is grounded correctly. A tester would probably prove an outlet had a totally missing ground, but might not catch a ground wire that is just loose and not connected tightly.

To prove a main power panel is not grounded properly, is really an electricians job. You want to know how to do things safely there. Sometimes a ground wire will loosen up there especially if aluminum wire was used. Aluminum tends to give problems like this, but it is used because it is cheaper than copper wire. It is normally just a matter of tightening up the big screws on the ground wires there, but again, you do not want to make a mistake there or you will get burned or even killed.

If your two video cards were of a different manufacturer, and you had the problems with both of them, then I would not think you have a video card problem. But if both cards were from the same manufacturer, then the video card is still a suspect. If both cards were the same model, you could have a manufacturers design problem and you could swap 10 of them and still have the problem.

I still suspect the power supply, but really it could be anything in the PC.
Yes, even a case fan. Not likely, but it does happen.
It could be memory, disk drives or a mother board. I would not suspect any of them, but it sure is difficult to troubleshoot it from a distance. CD or DVD drives would not be a suspect, but unplugging the power on them and booting the PC will prove if they are the culprits.
Try moving the various cable around. Make sure they are not tied together very tightly into a bundle.
Could it be a Cable or DSL modem that you are turning off when you turn the PC off? Anything else that gets turned off when you shut down you PC. Like a printer or scanner??? Or even a digital clock.
If you are not using Wi-Fi, are you using "power Line Networking"??

I will try plugging into a different circuit today. It is odd though that this only showed up when I built the new pc and not previously. So, that's what leads me to believe that it is something in the new pc and not a pre-existing condition like an improper ground in the main panel (although I could be off base in this reasoning).

The two video cards were from different manufacturers so I don't think that they are at the root of this problem.

I have DSL and the modem is on 24/7, as is another pc on my wired network, so it's not the modem. Likewise, my printer, which is about 4 years old, also stays on after the pc is shut down. I do have a power line networking setup tied into the wired network, but that was set up long after the pc was built and the problem showed up, so I don't think that's the culprit either.

So, I'm back to the power supply again. I was going to simply switch it out today, but realized that I don't have one that has the proper connectors so I'm on my way to Micro Center this morning to purchase one. Finger crossed.
RockvilleJ is offline  
Old 06-26-2009, 09:11 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 22,031
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 968 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post

Anybody know why we are getting WHAG 25 on FIOS channel 515? Is this a fluke?

I was wondering the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt View Post

I was not expecting Verizon to add WHAG NBC 25 to the HD line-up. But it is there and in the guide this morning. Was expecting Verizon to add WPXW Ion 66 to the HD local line-up next - and they still have not. Hagerstown is a subset of the Washington DC market and the new WHAG digital broadcast signal now covers much of the north and western areas of the DC metro area (and west of Baltimore as well), so maybe Nexstar Broadcasting talked Verizon into carrying the HD channel.

I can get WHAG-DT over the air from Sterling, but it has been tricky to find a aim and location for the CM 4221 that also gets all the DC stations, WNVC 30.1, WNVT 30.6, and the Baltimore stations including WUTB 24 at the same time. The trade-off has been between getting WUTB 24 reliably or getting a stable picture for WHAG. I can get WHAG 25 with a indoor Silver Sensor if I aim the antenna to the NW.

The advantage to getting WHAG is that it currently has no SD sub-channels. Until WHAG add sub-channels - and very likely eventually will do so - it should offer better picture quality for NBC programming, especially for sports. Would be useful if someone with a TivoHD or PC tuner setup could measure the bandwidth for WRC 4.1 and WHAG 25.1. However, I have not seen any closed captions for WHAG-DT over the air, so the station is lagging in adding CC equipment. WHAG-DT apparently does not show any syndicated HD programming, but then again, neither does NBC owned WRC.

Thanks for the info

if the station stays on FIOS I will change my season passes for NBC shows to that station. None of the bradcasts are as good as they were eight years ago.
I can easily see the difference when comparing what HD is broadcast now on the DC stations to HD recordings I made eight years ago when they didn't have any subchannels.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
Old 06-26-2009, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
CycloneGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Boyds, Maryland Useful Posts: 15
Posts: 6,477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well, we Dish Network customers have been getting WHAG for a long time now as part of the DC DMA. Since it has been SD only, I can't say that I've watched it that much other than a couple of "Hey, check this out" on the first days that it appeared.

Since for some reason Hagerstown is part of the DC DMA, I'm surprised that its not on all of the MSO that service the DC DMA.

Going to sign up for Dish Network? PM me for a ClubDish referral number that will give you a $50 credit on your first bill.
CycloneGT is offline  
Old 06-26-2009, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Big J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,954
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post

Oooops, My apologies, I had you confused with huesmann.

You will be lucky to get WUSA-DT 9 reliably with any attic antenna in Germantown. Do you get WJLA-DT 7?

That's Germantown MD, just north of Gaithersburg in Montgomery County.
WJLA is no problem. Like I said, I was getting 9.1 and 9.2 (talk about exciting ) for a couple years until now. I do get it through Comcast, but I am considering just dropping cable altogether-or was until CBS disappeared. The OTA picture tends to be better than via cable.
J
Big J is offline  
Old 06-26-2009, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Digital Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 1,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hopefully, WUSA-DT 9 will increase their power to a more realistic level, but there is no word of that happening yet.
Digital Rules is offline  
Old 06-26-2009, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Digital Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 1,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post

Anybody know why we are getting WHAG 25 on FIOS channel 515? Is this a fluke?

Anyone know if FIOS is using a fiber feed, or OTA?
Digital Rules is offline  
Old 06-26-2009, 11:39 AM
Newbie
 
SternLover21215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post

No,

The atmosphere has been favorable for long distance signal enhancement lately. This is very common in warmer weather.

Thanks Digital Rules, that explains why the stations didn't come in a little while ago. Guess I'll be putting in my order for my DB2 and AC C5 today.
SternLover21215 is offline  
Old 06-26-2009, 12:05 PM
Member
 
chamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Franklin County, Pa
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post

Anyone know if FIOS is using a fiber feed, or OTA?



Just my good educated guess ---- it is OTA since a fiber feed from Hagerstown to DC would be very costly. Small town stations generally do not have that type of money available, especially now when advertising income is probably way down. The good thing is that the WHAG OTA signal is of top quality.
chamb is offline  
Old 06-26-2009, 12:10 PM
Member
 
chamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Franklin County, Pa
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockvilleJ View Post

I will try plugging into a different circuit today. It is odd though that this only showed up when I built the new pc and not previously. So, that's what leads me to believe that it is something in the new pc and not a pre-existing condition like an improper ground in the main panel (although I could be off base in this reasoning).

The two video cards were from different manufacturers so I don't think that they are at the root of this problem.

I have DSL and the modem is on 24/7, as is another pc on my wired network, so it's not the modem. Likewise, my printer, which is about 4 years old, also stays on after the pc is shut down. I do have a power line networking setup tied into the wired network, but that was set up long after the pc was built and the problem showed up, so I don't think that's the culprit either.

So, I'm back to the power supply again. I was going to simply switch it out today, but realized that I don't have one that has the proper connectors so I'm on my way to Micro Center this morning to purchase one. Finger crossed.

Another thought, coiling up cords can cause some funny problems. if you have the power cord coiled up or tied in a bundle of cables, try straightening that out.
chamb is offline  
Old 06-26-2009, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Digital Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 1,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamb View Post

The good thing is that the WHAG OTA signal is of top quality.

I'm curious as to where they have the antenna for that? It would need to be well northwest of DC to avoid co-channel interference from Richmond.
Digital Rules is offline  
Old 06-26-2009, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
joblo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 43
The word from WHAG Engineering:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post

Anybody know why we are getting WHAG 25 on FIOS channel 515? Is this a fluke?

No, it is not a fluke. It is supposed to be available to the entire DC coverage area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post

Anyone know if FIOS is using a fiber feed, or OTA?

Fiber it is.

This is very nice, because I have no usable signal from WHAG at my location in Fairfax. Last night I moved an 8-bay all around the attic. Got KYW again, and later on WRLH, but if there was ever any signal from WHAG it was either way too weak to lock, or destroyed by the co-channel from Philly and Richmond.
joblo is online now  
Old 06-26-2009, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
joblo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 43
WRC-4 went dark at 12:00 noon.
WMPT-22 went dark at 12:31 pm.

No ceremonies. They both just went to snow in the middle of the nightlight loop.

Meanwhile, WTTG-5 shrunk its nightlight program sometime in the past few days. It is now windowboxed.

Why can't stations get aspect ratios figured out? It's a nightlight program fer cryin' out loud. Whoever would want to see that in widescreen?
joblo is online now  
Old 06-26-2009, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
systems2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Central Franklin County, PA.
Posts: 2,094
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly From KOMO View Post

What is bothering your channel 7 DTV reception is not EMI nor RFI, but Impulse noise. The two typical devices that cause noise on the VHF band are the switching power supply in the CPU, and/or the computer monitor. Your case is not effective enough to shield out the noise, some of which is introduced to the neutral AC wiring in the house.

If there is electrical wiring in your attic, that would be more than likely the 'noise antenna', transmitting the noise from your computer power supply and thus disrupting your channel 7. The problem is the neutral connection is all bonded together, so all your home wiring would have the problem. An AC isolation transformer connected to your computer may help, but the neutral and ground pin are bonded at your electrical panel anyway. You could try an isolation transformer, then use a ground lift adaptor.. But you're effectively floating the ground for your computer connection. Depending on the situation, that may not be safe for the long haul.

Moving your antenna outdoors away from the interference and the ability to capture more TV signal, is always the best option.

Electrical outlet feedback was exactly the same thing that popped into my head when I read the problem.

RockvilleJ,

Try using a true isolation UPS between your computer and wall outlet. Try looking for one with a network filtering capability for your Power Line Network.
systems2000 is offline  
Old 06-26-2009, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
systems2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Central Franklin County, PA.
Posts: 2,094
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockvilleJ View Post

I did have someone with engineering background suggest that I 'ground' the pc case to a water pipe, providing a separate ground from the one in the electrical system. Would that make a difference on a temporary basis to isolate the issue?

Unless the water pipe is bonded to the electrical ground and your absolutely positive that it's metal from the computer to the ground bonding point, DO NOT DO THIS! You will create a ground potential issue, which can create a shock hazard capable of killing you. This can happen, when you touch the metal case of your computer and any other object that is metal and plugged into an electrical outlet.
systems2000 is offline  
Old 06-26-2009, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
systems2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Central Franklin County, PA.
Posts: 2,094
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt View Post

The advantage to getting WHAG is that it currently has no SD sub-channels. Until WHAG add sub-channels - and very likely eventually will do so - it should offer better picture quality for NBC programming, especially for sports. Would be useful if someone with a TivoHD or PC tuner setup could measure the bandwidth for WRC 4.1 and WHAG 25.1. However, I have not seen any closed captions for WHAG-DT over the air, so the station is lagging in adding CC equipment. WHAG-DT apparently does not show any syndicated HD programming, but then again, neither does NBC owned WRC.

I talked with the engineer at WHAG-DT and posted awhile back. They have no plans to add any sub-channels to their transmission. I'll see what I can find out about the other issues.

On another note, I finally connected with the engineer at WDCA about W51CY. They have submitted quote requests for converting to digital and are still planning on turning W51CY back "ON," when they get the conversion done. I asked about turning the analog transmission back "ON" and was told that they don't have any equipment to receive their primary DTV transmission for broadcasting. I wonder if they could use a CM7000?

Bottom line is that when Corporate gets their priority down to that level and they have the equipment, it will get done. We'll see it turned "ON," when it gets turned "ON."
systems2000 is offline  
Old 06-26-2009, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
systems2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Central Franklin County, PA.
Posts: 2,094
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockvilleJ View Post

I do have a power line networking setup tied into the wired network, but that was set up long after the pc was built and the problem showed up, so I don't think that's the culprit either.

Maybe so, but the card in the new PC build may be reacting differently. Try disconnecting the PC from this network.
systems2000 is offline  
Old 06-26-2009, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
systems2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Central Franklin County, PA.
Posts: 2,094
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamb View Post

Small town stations generally do not have that type of money available, especially now when advertising income is probably way down.

WJAL-DT was sending their content to all the cable systems throughout the area via fiber (and may still be), when their facilities went up in smoke at the tower.
systems2000 is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off