Washington, DC / Baltimore, MD - HDTV - Page 34 - AVS Forum
First ... 32  33  34 35  36  ... Last
Local HDTV Info and Reception > Washington, DC / Baltimore, MD - HDTV
Skeptic Tank's Avatar Skeptic Tank 08:30 PM 03-12-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt View Post

If they pass the PSIP data through, then the PSIP data should map to the broadcast station number. Just the same as OTA, I would think, but the station source PSIP data field presumably has the broadcast channel number, such as 35, and that would be different for the cable signal.

If I understand you correctly, then if the cable company does it right, different subchannels on the same QAM channel can cause the receiver to map them to different broadcast station numbers?

Looks like Comcast isn't as careful in setting this up as Verizon is. My DTB-H260's
QAM scan missed a subchannel which my SIR-T451 found by (I think) ignoring the PSIP data.

Red Dog's Avatar Red Dog 07:24 AM 03-13-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricRobins View Post

Has WUSA or WJZ (or even WCBS) announced which NCAA first round games they were planning on showing?

The WUSA site only lists "NCAA Tournament" game (or something like that).

Is it safe to assume WUSA will show G-town, GW, UVa, UMD, and Va Tech? Are any at the same time?

I believe it is safe to assume that. None are in the same timeslot.

I bet that WJZ shows these same games except for GW, since that is in the odd timeslot (only areas of local interest get those games).

What is interesting is that if GW and GTown both win, they are scheduled for the same timeslot on Saturday, so I don't know what WUSA would do in that case.
Marcus Carr's Avatar Marcus Carr 08:04 AM 03-13-2007

FiOS Construction Locations Mar 1st thru Mar 31st

Anne Arundel County Schedule

http://www22.verizon.com/about/commu...es/aacomar.doc

Baltimore County Schedule

http://www22.verizon.com/about/commu...es/bacomar.doc

Howard County Schedule

http://www22.verizon.com/about/commu...es/hocomar.doc

Montgomery County Schedule

http://www22.verizon.com/about/commu...es/mocomar.doc

Prince George's County Schedule

http://www22.verizon.com/about/commu...es/pgcomar.doc
Red Dog's Avatar Red Dog 09:21 AM 03-13-2007
From Sue Baldwin at WUSA 9

Quote:

Thursday's games are as follows:

On 3/15/07, W*USA 9 will air the following games on our analog and
digital channels:

(same game will air on both)

Daytime Games (scheduled 12:10-7pm)

Game #1 12:20pm Maryland vs. Davidson

Game #2 2:45pm Georgetown vs. Belmont

Game #3 4:55pm Vanderbilt vs. George Washington

Nighttime Games (scheduled 7pm-12mid)

Game #1 7:10pm Duke vs. VCU

Game #2 9:40pm North Carolina vs. Eastern Kentucky

Friday's games are not yet confirmed.

EricRobins's Avatar EricRobins 09:35 AM 03-13-2007
Did Ms Baldwin indicate which games would be in HD?
Red Dog's Avatar Red Dog 10:48 AM 03-13-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricRobins View Post

Did Ms Baldwin indicate which games would be in HD?

All are supposed to be HD, but with this crazy stuff I'm hearing in the thread in the programming subforum, who knows.
dg28's Avatar dg28 11:23 AM 03-13-2007
All games are boradcast in HD. The only time you may not see a game in HD is when the channel you're watching switches from its scheduled game to another game.
Red Dog's Avatar Red Dog 11:34 AM 03-13-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dg28 View Post

All games are boradcast in HD. The only time you may not see a game in HD is when the channel you're watching switches from its scheduled game to another game.

Not according to the sticky thread in the programming sub-forum.
howie14's Avatar howie14 11:41 AM 03-13-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post

"Does anyone know if this could be a "broadcast issue" as they claim?"

From what you describe it does not seem to be a broadcast problem. It certainly appears to be a hardware related problem where the hardware gets out of sync. Several years ago Samsung had a problem with the sound getting out of sync on their HLN model DLP sets they finally issued a hardware fix. To me it appears the delay is different on the satellite feed and when you go back to OTA it does not re-sync.

Thanks. That's what this layman had assumed.
wmcbrine's Avatar wmcbrine 11:54 AM 03-13-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbulla View Post

The reason that the stations do it is simple: it's required by the FCC.

Most stations would do it as long as they were allowed to -- because they build their branding around their analog channel assignments.
TVJunkyMonkey's Avatar TVJunkyMonkey 12:10 PM 03-13-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post

Not according to the sticky thread in the programming sub-forum.

According to HD Sports guide, all the first round games are in HD. In that thread, a lot of people say the same thing, that all games will be in HD, except if the station switches from its scheduled game to another game.
markbulla's Avatar markbulla 12:27 PM 03-13-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post

Most stations would do it as long as they were allowed to -- because they build their branding around their analog channel assignments.

OK, there's that, too.

Although, I agree with the previous poster who brought up the point that things are going to wierd after the analog shutoff. People going to have to call the station to find out what channel I actually am broadcasting on, if their TV doesn't pick it up when they are auto-programming it (unless they look it up on the web).

Mark
Red Dog's Avatar Red Dog 01:20 PM 03-13-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVJunkyMonkey View Post

According to HD Sports guide, all the first round games are in HD. In that thread, a lot of people say the same thing, that all games will be in HD, except if the station switches from its scheduled game to another game.

I believe it is the other way around.

If it is a constant feed, like the Georgetown, Maryland, and GW games will be in DC, we will get upconverted SD, which makes no sense whatsoever.
Red Dog's Avatar Red Dog 01:35 PM 03-13-2007
Quote:

From Sue Baldwin at WUSA 9

Quote:

Thursday's games are as follows:

On 3/15/07, W*USA 9 will air the following games on our analog and
digital channels:

(same game will air on both)

Daytime Games (scheduled 12:10-7pm)

Game #1 12:20pm Maryland vs. Davidson

Game #2 2:45pm Georgetown vs. Belmont

Game #3 4:55pm Vanderbilt vs. George Washington

Game #1 7:10pm Duke vs. VCU

Game #2 9:40pm North Carolina vs. Eastern Kentucky

Friday's games are not yet confirmed.

Here are the Friday games according the WUSA website:

Daytime Games (scheduled 12:10-5pm)

Game #1 12:15pm - UVA vs. Albany
NOTE: Constant status is pending for this game.

Game #2 2:35pm - Notre Dame vs. Winthrop

Game #1 7:10pm - Virginia Tech vs. Illinois
NOTE: Constant status is pending for this game.

Game #2 9:30pm - Kentucky vs. Villanova

And most importantly:
CBS is not offering our local games as constants in High Definition. To contact their audience services department send e-mail to audsvcs@cbs.com

http://www.wusa9.com/news/news_artic...vMHUOQNueCQ%3D
CuseHokie's Avatar CuseHokie 06:20 PM 03-13-2007
What does that constant jargon mean?

Does it mean the local game will be in SD, and the HD channel will just have something else on it (whatever the national audience is seeing)??

If so, I'm assuming that is to allow us to see two games at a time?
Red Dog's Avatar Red Dog 06:55 PM 03-13-2007
No. Same game on both channels.

Constant means that the game will never be switched, even if it is a blowout. You'll see it from beginning to end.
CuseHokie's Avatar CuseHokie 07:01 PM 03-13-2007
Quote:

No. Same game on both channels.

Constant means that the game will never be switched, even if it is a blowout. You'll see it from beginning to end.

Duh, I realize that...

But what does "CBS is not offering our local games as constants in High Definition" mean?

I figure it means the local games will not be on HD, and in place of them, some other game will be?
Red Dog's Avatar Red Dog 07:18 PM 03-13-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuseHokie View Post

Duh, I realize that...

But what does "CBS is not offering our local games as constants in High Definition" mean?

I figure it means the local games will not be on HD, and in place of them, some other game will be?

Like I said before it is the same game on both channels and based on the thread in the programming forum, the digital channel will be an upconverted SD feed, even though the areas of the country that get the game non-constant will have a HD feed. So simply put, since the Maryland, Georgetown, and GW games (and possibly VT and UVA games) are "local games as constants," we will not get these games in HD and will not get a different game on the digital channel.
mikemikeb's Avatar mikemikeb 07:38 PM 03-13-2007
The reason that constants will be in SD makes sense to me. Remember that CBS only has the ability to downlink four HD feeds at once now, and during the first two rounds, four games may be occurring at once. Most people will get a non-constant feed, and CBS will want to switch between games for those viewers. Apparently, it would be too difficult to independently switch each HD feed in a manner that will allow a constant area to view the whole game in HD, so all constants are being sent in SD to save CBS the trouble.

Maybe in later rounds, where only two games will occur at once, will there be constants and non-constants in HD.
dg28's Avatar dg28 05:47 AM 03-14-2007
I mean seriously, if this is going to happen as some of you and some of the stations are saying (upconverting SD in order to get a constant feed) this is a joke. I understand the technical limitations of CBS. But really, why can't we just have the constant feed on the SD channel and the HD feed on the HD channel. When CBS switches the HD feed to another game, I can just flip to the SD channel. Am I missing something here? Does this make sense? It may be time to overwhelm WUSA with e-mails about this.
bmfc1's Avatar bmfc1 06:00 AM 03-14-2007
dg28 nails it. The "constant" means that if Georgetown is beating whomever by 50, WUSA stays with it because it's a local team. I get that but for those of us that are more interested in the tournament overall than any local team, why not keep the SD feed as the constant and switch the HD feed to a closer game? Does WUSA have to have the same game on both? They didn't last year!
Red Dog's Avatar Red Dog 06:38 AM 03-14-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmfc1 View Post

dg28 nails it. The "constant" means that if Georgetown is beating whomever by 50, WUSA stays with it because it's a local team. I get that but for those of us that are more interested in the tournament overall than any local team, why not keep the SD feed as the constant and switch the HD feed to a closer game? Does WUSA have to have the same game on both? They didn't last year!

In other thread, some touched on that. Not sure - they might have to.

Otherwise, I agree with you - they could go constant on the SD channel and flex on the HD and if they flex out, WUSA could easily run a crawl on 9.1 telling people to tune to 9 if they want to continue watching the local interest game.

Yeah, it royally bites. One more reason why I'll be spending the entire weekend at a friend's house with D*. But I'll still be screwed out of watching the Maryland game in HD.
dg28's Avatar dg28 07:40 AM 03-14-2007
Ok, I just fired off an email to WUSA about this. I encourage others to do so. Strength in numbers.
EricRobins's Avatar EricRobins 09:24 AM 03-14-2007
Quote:

Ok, I just fired off an email to WUSA about this. I encourage others to do so. Strength in numbers.

Email address?
dg28's Avatar dg28 10:23 AM 03-14-2007
ahsan's Avatar ahsan 12:58 PM 03-14-2007
Quote:

sbaldwin@wusa9.com

E-Mail sent. If the locals (I have rooting interests in UVA, Gtown, and GW) are not in HD, I will be really disappointed. How did WUSA handle local teams last year in the first couple rounds?

To whom it may concern,

I have just come to find out that WUSA Ch. 9 may not be showing the games of highest interest (local schools) in HD, in the Washington Metro Area. This is a horrible policy for fans of UVA (myself), Georgetown (my 2nd team), GW (my father's alma mater), UMD, and Virginia Tech. I have been looking forward to watching my teams play in HD, especially on CBS. CBS tends to have the best picture out of all networks/cable stations in HD especially for sports (NFL, SEC football, and SEC basketball). However, after reading numerous posts on local Hi-Def boards and sports boards, people are stating that our local teams are going to be broadcast as constants (despite blowouts). The fact that they are being broadcast as constants is a PLUS because we want to watch our teams all the way through. But, I believe this is the reason you are not going to be broadcasting these games in HD! This will be a great travesty and I would hope WUSA/CBS pulls out all the stops to show the premiere sporting event of the year in full HD glory! Do whatever it takes!

ahsan's Avatar ahsan 01:24 PM 03-14-2007
I found the following link/quote off a UVA bball forum (although it refers back to an article in the Houston Chronicle).

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/4621084.html
HD compromises

Unlike last season, CBS will show every Tournament game in HDTV. The advantage is that every game will be in HDTV. The disadvantage is that stations no longer have the option, as they did last season, to show different games on standard-def and HD channels.

For example, any game assigned to KHOU (Channel 11) will air on both its standard def and its HD channel, which is Channel 31 for those of you using an antenna and channel 311 for Time Warner Cable customers.

There may, however, be an occasional wrinkle for HD purists. Texas or Texas A&M games will be "constant" games for the Houston market. HD programs, however, will be "flex" games, which means they can be switched to
another location at CBS' discretion. There seems to be a contradiction in the first and last paragraph above. The first leads one to believe stations are forced to show both, while the latter allows for switching on the digital feed.
Red Dog's Avatar Red Dog 01:24 PM 03-14-2007
I sent an e-mail suggesting they go with the flex HD feed for the local teams and if the network center flexes off the local game in HD, then WUSA could switch to the upconverted SD constant transmission.
Mike20878's Avatar Mike20878 02:51 PM 03-14-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt View Post

The tri-color spread on WRC 4 is bizarre. The picture for WBAL-DT 11 in Baltimore is not doing this, so this problem is with WRC. But I'm getting dropouts for WBAL-DT, as I sometimes do, so that is not a viable option at the moment. Argh!

I'm catching up on this thread now and just getting to this section... I watched Heroes on DVR a week or so late and I was panicking at first that my rear projection had bought the farm.
CuseHokie's Avatar CuseHokie 03:20 PM 03-14-2007
Quote:

Like I said before it is the same game on both channels and based on the thread in the programming forum, the digital channel will be an upconverted SD feed, even though the areas of the country that get the game non-constant will have a HD feed. So simply put, since the Maryland, Georgetown, and GW games (and possibly VT and UVA games) are "local games as constants," we will not get these games in HD and will not get a different game on the digital channel.

Why would they do SD twice, on the regular SD channel and on the HD channel, for the same game?

That makes absolutely no sense.

Am I missing something?
First ... 32  33  34 35  36  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop