Washington, DC / Baltimore, MD - HDTV - Page 353 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

Old 09-04-2009, 05:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
For the first time ever, I could not decode WTTG and WDCA. Suspecting that interference was up, I tried for Baltimore and Hampton Roads stations. No luck with Baltimore, but WHRO (normal tropo) and, for the first time, WTKR were popping in. No sign of WAVY, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2009, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post

Comcast expands county digital service

Company providing free converters to most basic cable customers

I already got a letter offering this and received my free converters. I'm in MoCo.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Comcast will add the NFL Redzone channel in Baltimore on 9/13 (SD).

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

Old 09-06-2009, 10:17 AM

I cam finally get all Balt. & Wash stations from Laurel (except WUTB-24) with a Digital Stream converter box and an HDTV UHF/VHF long range antenna. Many other converter box brands (especially Apex) are apprently terrible.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by guenckj View Post

Many other converter box brands (especially Apex) are apprently terrible.

What other converter boxes did you try?
Old 09-06-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guenckj View Post

I cam finally get all Balt. & Wash stations from Laurel (except WUTB-24) with a Digital Stream converter box and an HDTV UHF/VHF long range antenna. Many other converter box brands (especially Apex) are apprently terrible.

You shouldn't need a long-range antenna from Laurel. Are you in a particularly bad location?

Also, out of curiosity, are you using a rotor? If not, which way did you aim the antenna? It's pretty cool if you can get them all on one aerial without moving it from Laurel MD! I spent a looooong time trying that trick, was never successful. Had to go with 2 separate arrays and use a PC to combine them into a 'seamless' system ..
Old 09-06-2009, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

In the 1950's, the National Bureau of Standards (now NTIS), studied signal strength, i.e. reception capability around the Washington, DC area. Laurel, had the best reception in the area. I learned this from a tech who worked on the project and later worked for me.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
Old 09-06-2009, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHifi View Post

In the 1950's, the National Bureau of Standards (now NTIS), studied signal strength, i.e. reception capability around the Washington, DC area. Laurel, had the best reception in the area. I learned this from a tech who worked on the project and later worked for me.

just wanted to say hi art haven't heard from you in a while
Old 09-06-2009, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I'm in Laurel and I pick up WUTB 24 with no problem since the transition. I still use my UHF-only antenna on the roof with a rotor. When it's aimed at Baltimore, I get all the Baltimore stations which tend to be stronger than the DC stations from my part of Laurel.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rviele View Post

just wanted to say hi art haven't heard from you in a while

It is nice hearing from old friends. Thank you

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
Old 09-07-2009, 08:14 AM

So I have been watching the City's website which slated a late 2009 to early 2010 deployment for fios in alexandria. The date was getting closer. This threw some cold water on any hope I had of getting rid of Comcast any time soon (from the Post):

"Things aren't moving along as quickly in another Fios-deprived jurisdiction, Alexandria. Although a page on the city's Web site predicts Fios availability "in late 2009 or 2010," Verizon has yet to sign a phone or TV franchise agreement with the city, and spokesmen Eric Rabe and Henry Mitchell had no progress to report on that front. On Thursday, Rose Boyd, Alexandria's director of citizen assistance, said the city would revise that page."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...090404156.html

Anybody have any idea why there is such a delay?
Old 09-07-2009, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgantert View Post

32.1 has the same studder and audio sync problem as 54.1 on my Dynex (aka Samsung) TV. Oh well, atleast its HD now, and works fine on my other tuners.

OTA WHUT-SD RF 33.2 on virtual 32.2 is now mapping additionally to virtual Channel 1.0 with no PSIP anywhere. WHUT-HD on 32.1 does not have any PSIP either. My Dish VIP722 STB has been receiving both channels with a one second freeze-frame strobe-like picture ever since 32.2 came on. No strobe picture for OTA.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenJB View Post

OTA WHUT-SD RF 33.2 on virtual 32.2 is now mapping additionally to virtual Channel 1.0 with no PSIP anywhere. WHUT-HD on 32.1 does not have any PSIP either. My Dish VIP722 STB has been receiving both channels with a one second freeze-frame strobe-like picture ever since 32.2 came on. No strobe picture for OTA.

Sounds like their PSIP encoder went back to factory defaults or just froze up. That happens because after all, it runs under Windows!

32 Year Broadcast Technical Veteran with over ten years in DTV transmission and reception experience.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly From KOMO View Post

Sounds like their PSIP encoder went back to factory defaults or just froze up. That happens because after all, it runs under Windows!

LOL. If it was Linux, it would take a custom kernel build to change, and if was OS/X it would have been locked into Steve-Job's-age-at-time-of-compile.1 without being jailbroken first j/k of course Kelly
Old 09-08-2009, 02:01 PM

I have an HR20 and an H20 side by side in my living room. The HR20 is hooked up to a 42" plasma and the H20 just got a new 19" LCD so that two football games can be watched at once.

Here is the issue - I read of some over the air issues after the digital switch and a rescan fixed the HR20 completely, but I cannot get the H20 to dispaly 2-1, 9-1, 11-1, or 13-1

I have re-done the set up, rescanned, etc

Any other suggestions?

TIA

Eddie
Old 09-08-2009, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesongs View Post

I have an HR20 and an H20 side by side in my living room. The HR20 is hooked up to a 42" plasma and the H20 just got a new 19" LCD so that two football games can be watched at once.

Here is the issue - I read of some over the air issues after the digital switch and a rescan fixed the HR20 completely, but I cannot get the H20 to dispaly 2-1, 9-1, 11-1, or 13-1

Any other suggestions?

TIA

Eddie

Disconnect the H20 from OTA, rescan so it finds nothing, reconnect antenna, rescan.

Xbox 360: Deezul AwT
HDTV since 2004, 3D since 2011
Go Jackets!
Old 09-08-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenJB View Post

I'm also getting 0.0 "data1" from them, I assume. Still have PSIP on 32.1 with the judder. Whoopie.

So any idea what causes the strobe/judder picture?
Old 09-08-2009, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgantert View Post

I'm also getting 0.0 "data1" from them, I assume.

I'm seeing this too, on my Panasonic TV.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

Any other suggestions?

TIA

Eddie

On my H20s (2 of them), I had to delete all channels using the remote, then rescanned. The H20s could not re-allocate a previously used virtual channel assignment whose operating frequency had changed.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezul View Post

Disconnect the H20 from OTA, rescan so it finds nothing, reconnect antenna, rescan.

Thank you, but this did not fix things - even trying again after a system re-boot

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Eddie
Old 09-09-2009, 05:52 AM

So yeah, apparently for Comcast NFL RedZone is only in the 700s. No HD?
Old 09-09-2009, 06:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1753 Post(s)
Liked: 1033
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACW112983 View Post

So yeah, apparently for Comcast NFL RedZone is only in the 700s. No HD?

Maybe that's why they aren't charging $50 like FIOS is? FIOS will have the SD and HD versions.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Old 09-09-2009, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyK View Post

So I have been watching the City's website which slated a late 2009 to early 2010 deployment for fios in alexandria.
Anybody have any idea why there is such a delay?

I'll ask around but my guess is that Verizontal is asking for the moon; and the city won't budge.

VZ typically [read the Charles County docs] wants to be able to swoop in, skim off the dense, high profit, neighborhoods; and promise to serve the rest of the city whenever they get around to it. The city wants a solid guarantee as to when ALL of the residents will be served because a poor citizen's vote counts as much as a yuppie's.

VZ also won't serve anyone unless they get a cable-tv contract to their liking. While they tell the PSC's [in VA, the SCC] how the copper phone plant is obsolete and not worth their maintaining, because fiber is coming!!! they also tell cities You'll never see it unless we get what we want. And what She wants is: no regulation, esp. re: price increases and channels offered.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1753 Post(s)
Liked: 1033
You can't blame them for trying. They want as much profit as they can get. I'm just glad they've been in Prince William County for over two years now.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Old 09-09-2009, 10:18 AM

I saw that someone posted the Anne Arundell County "World of More" Comcast schedule, but I did not see that anyone posted the Baltimore County Comcast schedule, which is also out now. I received the flier in the mail while I was away on vacation, so I'm not sure the exact day it arrived. All dates are listed as "Starting On or about/around" so take with typical two grains of salt:

1st Round Channel moves - Nov 17 (21 Channels moving to digital equipment only - AnimalPlanet, E, EWTN, Food, FX, Hallmark, HGTV, History, Lifetime, MSNBC, Mtv, Syfy, TBN, TCM, Weather, TLC, TNT, truTV, Travel, TVLand, & Versus - some real biggies in there)

2nd Round Channel moves - Dec 17 (24 Channels moving to digital equipment only - A&E, ABCFamily, BET, Bravo, Cartoon, CNBC, CNN, HLN, CSN, Comedy Central, Discovery, Disc Health, Disney, ESPN, ESPN2, FoxNews, Golf, MASN, Nick, Speed, Spike, TBS, TVOne, USA, VH1 - more big names here too)

New High Definition Channel Adds - Nov 28. All of these are HD, to avoid typing 'HD' over and over again.

BET, BigTen, bio, Bravo, Cartoon Network, CBS College Sports, CMT, CNBC+, HLN, Comedy Central, DisneyXD, E, Encore, ESPNEWS, ESPNU, FoxBiz, fuse, G4, Hallmark, IFC, MLB Exta Innings/NHL Center Ice Featured Games (1 channel), NBA League Pass/MLS Direct Kick Featured Games (1 channel), IND PPV (had this previously, it went away to make room for others, now it's returning?), Lifetime, Lifetime Movies, MGM, MLB Network, Mtv, MSNBC, NBATV, NHL Network, Nick, PlanetGreen, QVC, Spike, Style, TCM, Weather, Tennis Channel, Travel, truTV, tvOne, VH1, We. Channel numbers were also listed, indicating a move of the HD channel block / cluster moving into the 800s, which will match other Comcast systems I have seen channels listed for online.

By my count, that is 44 new HD channels; 3 of which are PPV (the two sports "season" pack ones, and INDPPV) and 3 which are in the Sports Entertainment Pack (BigTen, CBS College Sports, & Tennis), making the other 38 new national HD cable nets. Add that to Baltimore County Comcast's current 43 channels, including 8 local networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, CW, Independent, PBS-DC, & PBS-Balt), 2 regional sports nets (CSNDC and MASN), and 4 premiums (HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, & Starz). That should give Comcast Baltimore County subs, like me, a total of 87 HD channels, with about 77 of them available to so-called Digital Classic (I think; I get the terms mixed up), customers. Pretty sweet.

On the minus side, by my count, the "standard service" folks, who currently have 59 channels, will be dropping 45, down to 14 channels, unless they get their digital equipment. I guess this means I have until Nov 17 to get my mother in law her DTAs. The costs of progress!
Old 09-09-2009, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 44
We don't even have DTAs in the city yet. Maybe we'll get new HD channels in December!

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

Old 09-09-2009, 04:20 PM

Quick update from VHF-land here in Elkridge. Finally got around to buying more coax, so I moved the 7777 from the UHF mast to the VHF mast in order to have the shortest possible run from the VHF side. No appreciable difference on 7, but 9 at the moment is seriously locked on (100/100), and now 11 and 13 are actually usable from the back of the antenna (not that I would, but still). So moving the amp definately had the intended benefit, even if it's still not quite enough for a reliable WJLA.

Right now, it looks like if WJLA gets their STA for 52kW, I'll be seriously in business up here. That's almost twice as much power and I'm pretty close as it is !

edit: I do still get some bouts of overload on the VHF side, similar to when my neighbor mows his lawn (already requested he get a new spark plug!). Is there any chance that adding a low/high VHF combiner with a cap on the low VHF input to use it as a filter help with that? I don't know where most of that interference would come from, but I'm guessing it's on the lower frequencies. I don't expect a magic bullet, just curious if it's worth the few $$ and my time.

edit 2: In case anyone cares, my 2009 Fall Season D.C. setup will be as follows. A 42XG for channels 33-50, the Y5-7-13 for 7 and 9, and a custom made single-channel yagi JoinTenna-ed in for 27. The 42XG is great at the higher frequencies, not so much on the lower ones. It seems to really fall apart under UHF 35 or so. (33 and 34 are so powerful, it's still fine for those) Until tonight, I had it JoinTenna-ed in for 48/50 (@49) in combination with a C4, but the C4 has proven to be extremely unreliable for 35 and 36. I lose 24 and 30 in this setup, but honestly the novelty of those channels has long since worn off for me Building the yagi for 27 was a lot easier. I might contact TinLee about a custom diplexer for the channels under 33, but that seems like a lot of $$ for foreign news and channel 15. Maybe if one of the VHF channels moves back into lower UHF.

This stuff is fun ... when it works. lol.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:

Thank you, but this did not fix things - even trying again after a system re-boot

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Eddie

Try the H20 specific thread.

Xbox 360: Deezul AwT
HDTV since 2004, 3D since 2011
Go Jackets!
Old 09-09-2009, 08:11 PM

Anyone know where I can buy the Silver Sensor or DB2 locally?
Old 09-10-2009, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmsjr View Post

What is up with the FiOS move of the DC channels from their logical locations to 516 - 519?!?

They finally did this re-alignment overnight. The IMG hasn't been updated (guide was updated as of ~noon) on the VZ box, and my TiVo doesn't have data either, although the channel map has updated and they can be added manually. I put a lineup change request on the TiVo website.

If anyone in Howard/AA counties lost the postcard, the changes are:

SD
WRC from 4 to 16
WTTG from 5 to 17
WJLA from 7 to 18
WUSA from 9 to 19
WMDO from 21 to 24
UNI from 20 to 21
WUTB from 24 to 9

HD

WRC from 504 to 516
WTTG from 505 to 517
WJLA from 507 to 518
WUSA from 509 to 519
WUTB from 524 to 509

Since the channels are virtual, it all seems pointless, but it has happened!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement