Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #13771 of 13853 Old 05-09-2014, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 91
The CM-3414 is indeed very resistant to overload and does a good job at reducing distortion from a mix of strong and weak signals. I have used one with very good results, and it performed better than the 2 port 3412 version. I suppose because the 4 way split has lower power gain on each output so less likely to overload. Just enough of a boost that is needed, but not too much. I used 2 of the 4 ports and terminated the other 2. But to use as a preamp you will also have to separately order a remote power supply from PCT or other sources. Sometimes the PCT version is priced a bit lower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13772 of 13853 Old 05-09-2014, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
I suppose because the 4 way split has lower power gain on each output so less likely to overload.

Nope, that's not how they work.

All of the CM34xx distribution amps have the same 15 db amplifier module. For the output, its either a straight-through, 2-way, 4--way, or 8-way splitter which provides a post-amplification insertion loss of 0, 3.5, 7, or 10.5 dB.
post #13773 of 13853 Old 05-09-2014, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, the 3414 seemed to perform best, for whatever technical reason. Good overload resistance and tolerant of both strong and weak signals.
post #13774 of 13853 Old 05-09-2014, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post

Do you have any kind of VHF antenna connected to your system?

No, f the DC stations I were mostly interested in receiving were in the UHF band.

Do you mean to mount the Channel Master 3414 as you would a preamp?

I really don't have a problem with overloading on the Baltimore stations with the 91xg, so are you implying that a too strong a signal from an adjacent Baltimore station might be preventing me from receiving WHUT? I'm not too well versed to the finer points of Electromagnetic Wave propagation smile.gif

Thank you for your help smile.gif
post #13775 of 13853 Old 05-10-2014, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVKurt View Post

I really don't have a problem with overloading on the Baltimore stations with the 91xg, so are you implying that a too strong a signal from an adjacent Baltimore station might be preventing me from receiving WHUT?

Thank you for your help smile.gif
Absolutely, the weaker stations are affected most by overload.

The CM 3414 is the only amp I found that would not lose the weak WUTB 24 signal when I lived 4 miles from the DC transmitters. Distribution amps in general are a better choice with a mix of strong & weak signals.
post #13776 of 13853 Old 05-10-2014, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

The CM-3414 can be used as a preamp or distribution amp. If you need to place it at the antenna as a preamp, then you will also need to order the remote power supply from PCT. It is sold on Amazon through CableTV Amps vendor for about $4.99. Or from PCT Store online which is the manufacturer of the Channel Master dist amps. Which are among the better products currently offered by the current Channel Master company.
post #13777 of 13853 Old 05-10-2014, 07:12 PM

Thank you for the advice TylerSC and Digital Rules....

I'll give the CM-3414 a try as a distribution amplifier and see how that goes ..
post #13778 of 13853 Old 05-12-2014, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
The voice audio on Mr. Lucky (MeTV, 2:30 AM) sounded like Alvin and the Chipmunks, both on 7.3 (WJLA) and 11.2 (WBAL). Two of the actors with unnaturally shrill, high voices were Ross Martin (AKA Artemis Gordon of the Wild, Wild West) and Edward Platt (Chief on Get Smart), so I know what their voices are supposed to sound like, Might the show have been sped up to generate more coommerciial time? I heard a few years ago that when someone wanted to squeeze another commercial in Star Trek: The Next Generation, they did it by shortening the pause intervals between remarks.

BTW, I only recently learned that Platt committed suicide back in 1974 at age 58.
post #13779 of 13853 Old 05-15-2014, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Comcast now has HD DTAs available in Montgomery County, MD. I just swapped out my three SD DTAs for the HD version. It took Comcast a while to get the codes correct so I could get the HD channels, but these boxes work very well and provide all the HD channels except for the Digital Preferred tier channels. The music (400 series) channels are also excluded.
post #13780 of 13853 Old 05-18-2014, 02:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

WPXW now has QVC on 66.6. I first noticed in a week ago. What other sub channels gave up bandwidth to make room for it?
post #13781 of 13853 Old 05-18-2014, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntAltMike View Post

WPXW now has QVC on 66.6. I first noticed in a week ago. What other sub channels gave up bandwidth to make room for it?
This shouldn't be new...

Robert F Corbin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 | Virginia Media News & Information

email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook:

twitter:

linkedin:

google+:

pinterest:

post #13782 of 13853 Old 05-19-2014, 03:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
It is new. WWTD-LD was the QVC affiliate here.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #13783 of 13853 Old 05-19-2014, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

It is new. WWTD-LD was the QVC affiliate here.

- Trip
Ah, OK... I noticed the HSN (O&O) translator around here moved to showing HSN2 (ION has HSN on xx.5)

Robert F Corbin

| Virginia Media News & Information

email:

facebook:

twitter:

linkedin:

google+:

pinterest:

post #13784 of 13853 Old 05-19-2014, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I consistently see a six minute differential between the time displayed on WMAR 2 and WJLA 7. My TV is a Seiki. Is this what everyone else is seeing? I first noticed that time differential about a month ago
post #13785 of 13853 Old 05-20-2014, 03:23 PM

I have an antenna question ,im having a problem with reception on some channels most noted channel 7 wjla ,I live in Woodbine , MD and have never had trouble before, I have a medium sized vhf/uhf antenna ,I have this problem on all TVs, Wiring goes from antenna to splitter then to each tv I have changed the splitter that doesn't help , the antenna has a matching transformer on it could that be the problem , what else might be wrong? does the matching transformer amplify , the problem isn't real bad just a little worse those days . the antenna is 10 years old
post #13786 of 13853 Old 05-20-2014, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If the matching transformer is also 10 years old, then it is possible the spade lugs that attaches it to the antenna is corroded causing signal loss. Replace it with a new one since you have to go onto the roof anyways to inspect the antenna. No it does not do any amplification.
post #13787 of 13853 Old 05-21-2014, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINSFAN47 View Post

Wiring goes from antenna to splitter then to each tv I have changed the splitter that doesn't help.
2 way, 3 way, 4 way splitter? How many TV's are connected? Have you tried connecting just one TV directly to the antenna & tested reception? Has the antenna aim changed?
post #13788 of 13853 Old 05-23-2014, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVKurt View Post

Hi. Speaking of OTA WETA reception, I was wondering if anybody living just north of Baltimore City (Towson area) has had any luck receiving either WETA or WHUT with an outdoor antenna?

I put up an Antenna's Direct 91xg antenna with a Winegard LNA-200 preamp and receive many of the DC UHF stations ( Virtual 4,14,20,50, 66) with few dropouts, if any.

According to my TV fool report, I should be able to receive WHUT with an outside chance at WETA but never have gotten a signal from either of the stations. I noticed that WPXW (Virtual Ch. 66) which i receive clearly (between 70-85% signal strength on my TV), is located on the same tower as the 2 PBS stations but seems to transmit with much more power than the other two. I was wondering if that was why I cannot receive them or if I should go on the roof any do some more tweaking with the antenna orientation.

Can anybody give me hope of reception and convince me to go back up on the roof? wink.gif

I'm in Carney and receive both channels. I have a custom 4-bay UHF antenna and an older Winegard AP-4700 amp that is split once. I even receive the MHz channels out of Fairfax with it. If my larger 4-bay gets it then I would think the 8-bays would too.

post #13789 of 13853 Old 05-25-2014, 09:41 PM

Liked: 11
I just had something weird happen on 7.2...

I have a Digitalstream and a Apex CECB; both feed my VCR. What can I say, I'm a retro guy. [The Aprex replaced an Insignia that would crash, and core-dump to the screen. Plus the Apex has Svideo output!]

Tonight I was trying to set up recording Rockford Files when I noticed that I could not get either CECB to change "zoom" ratio. Further, the Apex would repeatedly create a black box on the LH side of the screen, about 2/3's of the way up.

This was only on 7.2.

Anyone have any ideas?
post #13790 of 13853 Old 05-26-2014, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

CECB boxes will only zoom on the main .1 channel. I have never seen one that would zoom on the .2, .3, .4 . . . channels.
post #13791 of 13853 Old 05-28-2014, 08:46 AM

Anyone having problems with WNVC [RF24 56.1] or WZDC[RF25 25.1]? I am Takoma Park with a HD7698 antenna and not receiving either of those but have before.
post #13792 of 13853 Old 05-28-2014, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbodeenisudm View Post

Anyone having problems with WNVC [RF24 56.1] or WZDC[RF25 25.1]? I am Takoma Park with a HD7698 antenna and not receiving either of those but have before.

I'm presently watching WNVC 30.4 in College Park on an unamplified Winegard HD7694, which I primitively combine with another, amplified Winegard HD7694 pointed at Baltimore. Funny thing is, I get intermittently poor reliability of all my Washington, DC stations, even though I am certain I have line of sight to those transmitters. There is about a five degree spread between the northernmost Wisconsin Ave tower and the more southern WRC tower from where I am and since the nearest block or two along those paths is residential and beneath me, elevation-wise, I have yet to develop a plausible theory to explain the occasional intervals of chronic dropouts that I experience, as they never affect the Baltimore stations, which are measurably weaker (I own about $10,000 of signal measurement test gear).

When I began composing this post about fifteen minutes ago, I was watching Russia Today on 30.4 and it was rock solid, and then I switched to 25.1 and that was solid also. But now, ten or fifteen minutes later Russia Today did glitch a few times, but when I went to 4.2 and 20.2, which are the Washington channels that do occasionally glitch for me, they were solid and now 30.4 is solid again. It is so hard to meaningfully compare simultaneously the performance of digital channels, because of their avalanche failure characteristic and because the samples I observe are not made at exactly the same time.

Back in analog days, I used to have severe reception problems at Cherry Hill Park at 9800 Cherry Hill Road. We had the campground's antennas on the highest land, but our problem was we were getting reflections off Byrd Stadium which, back in analog days, created double or ghost images. We have since moved the antennas twice, once to avoid the double images and more recently, to accommodate their major property upgrading (shameless plug) and now, a couple hundred yards from the earlier location and at a signifiicantly different azimuth with respect to Byrd Stadium, we frequently experience freeze ups. I can tell that vegetation is a problem at this new antenna location because I can see the signal waveforms fluctuate greatly on my spectrum analyzer.

Update:

I just switched channels to The Rockford files on 4.2 and it is now glitching also.
post #13793 of 13853 Old 05-28-2014, 04:20 PM

Liked: 11
> CECB boxes will only zoom on the main .1 channel.

I can't say I'd ever noticed that, but why were the boxes stuck in anamorphic mode?
That was not the case on adjacent channels.
post #13794 of 13853 Old 06-01-2014, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

World Cup broadcast TV question.

I have read that WFDC Univision will be carrying World Cup ganes, albeit with Spanish language audio only. I have read that some other games are going to be carried on a service called UniMás, Does anyone know if thise games are concurrent with games on Univision, which is to say, are two games ever played at the same time, and if so, is there likely to be a local broadcast source for those UniMás games?
post #13795 of 13853 Old 06-01-2014, 07:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
UniMás is on WMDO-LD 8 (47-1), which is in HD. It's a really tough signal to grab but is definitely there.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #13796 of 13853 Old 06-06-2014, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

"Clear" Comcast?

I just got a service call from a Washington, DC condominium owner telling me she had lost her local TV channels over the past weekend. She is in a building that is wired for Comcast, for DirecTV and for off-air broadcast antenna. Unfortunately, the building only provides one single coax home run to each residential unit, so while we can diplex core satellite DirecTV with Comcast services it is not possible to mix Comcast with the free building antenna,m which uses UHF broadcast frequencies.

This resident was under the misapprehension that she had been getting her free digital local broadcast channels from the building's master antenna system. I figured that either she was getting them from Comcast as unscrambled digital signals or since she is withintwo miles of the local transmitting towers and on the side of the building facing them and high up, that maybe the local broadcast signals were just leaking in.

I saw that her TV tuner was set on "cable", and she told me that she was getting over 60 local digital channels, and since that is more than she'd get with the building antenna and more than she'd get with a set top antenna, I have concluded she had been getting her locals from Comcast. Did they recently begin scrambling their local digital signals in Washington, DC? She is in zip code 20009.

I stuck a paper clip in her TV's coax input port an she is now getting rock solid reception of the six local commercial stations and the two local PBS stations, and while she is fairly satisfied with that, she might like to get the additional stations she is now missing, like WMPT, WNVC and WNVT. Her cable bill says she is getting Xfinity internet. Does Xfinity bundle internet and what we used to call a "lifeline" or sub basic service?
post #13797 of 13853 Old 06-07-2014, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

In Montgomery County, MD they have started making HD DTAs available which is something Comcast does before they scramble all channels. Comcast does not provide any video channels with Internet only service. Limited basic will provide all the local channels plus free HD of the local channels (with a free HD DTA) plus all the municipal channels (and in some localities a few more channels). Comcast usually offers a "package" so the cost of limited basic and Internet costs almost the same as Internet alone.
post #13798 of 13853 Old 06-07-2014, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I went to Comcast's site and it looks like their rates are commonly $50 for internet versus $80 for internet plus 140+ channel basic, so I have to suspect that she will choose to pay the extra $30 a month.

What is HD DTA?
post #13799 of 13853 Old 06-07-2014, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

An HD DTA is small one way device that can receive all the HD and SD channels. Through HDMI it can output 1080i and 720p HD resolutions as well as 480p. The only channels it currently cannot receive is the preferred digital channels and ON Demand. If you are on the limited basic tier it it is free for up to three boxes. For the other tiers it is free for two boxes for two years and then $1:99 each per month. For the first box you should get a standard HD box since any tier above limited basic incurs a $9.95 HD tech fee which pays for the first box.
post #13800 of 13853 Old 06-10-2014, 05:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post

An HD DTA is small one way device that can receive all the HD and SD channels. Through HDMI it can output 1080i and 720p HD resolutions as well as 480p. The only channels it currently cannot receive is the preferred digital channels and ON Demand. If you are on the limited basic tier it it is free for up to three boxes. For the other tiers it is free for two boxes for two years and then $1:99 each per month. For the first box you should get a standard HD box since any tier above limited basic incurs a $9.95 HD tech fee which pays for the first box.
Are you sure about the getting HD channels free without paying the HD tech fee? Is there some documentation about this that I can quote when discussing this with Comcast?

All the stories I have heard in other jurisdictions said they had to pay the monthly HD fee to get the channels in HD. On June 3 my limited basic turned scrambled and with my HD DTA I only get the SD versions of the local broadcast channels. There is a message for channels that aren't included, but the HD version of local broadcast channels just doesn't come in at all - it reverts back to the previous tuned channel. Note that the secondary channels for the local broadcast stations do come in (e.g. WETA-UK and WETA-Kids).
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page