post #13801 of 13816 Old 06-10-2014, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by nottenst View Post

Are you sure about the getting HD channels free without paying the HD tech fee? Is there some documentation about this that I can quote when discussing this with Comcast?

All the stories I have heard in other jurisdictions said they had to pay the monthly HD fee to get the channels in HD. On June 3 my limited basic turned scrambled and with my HD DTA I only get the SD versions of the local broadcast channels. There is a message for channels that aren't included, but the HD version of local broadcast channels just doesn't come in at all - it reverts back to the previous tuned channel. Note that the secondary channels for the local broadcast stations do come in (e.g. WETA-UK and WETA-Kids).

Limited basic subscribers are a special category of customers. Back in January I received a rate sheet from Comcast. They show the HD Technology fee of $9.95 with a footnote stating "Not available to customers with limited basic only" From other threads they have confirmed that the limited basic customers get HD on the local channels without paying the HD technology fee. Comcast needs to update your codes to get the HD local channels. If you go to the Comcast site and find your channel lineup you will see the local HD channels checked off as being included in limited basic.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Channels-and-Programming/Local-HD-channels-with-limited-basic-Minneapolis-SW-suburbs/m-p/1931445#M41554

ComcastTeds
Official Employee
Re: Local HD channels with limited basic, Minneapolis SW suburbs
Options

‎11-25-2013 11:02 AM

ComcastTeds wrote:

A limited basic only customer with an HD DTA is not subject to the monthly HD Tech Fee to receive the limited basic channels in HD..

If a customer wanted an HD cable box, then they would be subject to the regulated equipment rate for that service.

Is a customer with an HD DTA subject to the monthly HD Tech Fee to receive the limited basic channels in HD? Is not a Digital Starter customer (without HD Service) entitled to receive local channels in HD with an HD DTA? Or is Comcast really as GREEDY as they appear to be?

As I wrote above, it depends on the level of service.

For Limited Basic only customers, the local HD broadcast channels are expected to be included with an HD DTA at no additional charge.

The HD Technology Fee would apply for Digital Starter customers who want HD channels. HD equipment is also required to receive HD channels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13802 of 13816 Old 06-10-2014, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks for that confirmation. I also saw an article from last year which first said the fee would apply but then at the end had some corrections:
Quote:
I spoke to Comcast’s Vice President of Public Relations, Bob Grove, who corrected a few inaccuracies provided by the representative I spoke to. The encryption does, in fact, affect those customers who utilize Comcast’s QAM signals instead of using Comcast equipment. Those QAM users can get up to two free digital adapters and these customers are not limited to standard definition adapters. HD adapters are also fair game and will not cost $2.99 but are instead free, just like the SD adapters. Also, there is no HD Technology fee for Limited Basic customers — that fee is only assessed on higher-tier cable packages.

So, I guess this gives me what I need to make the call to have them turn on the HD codes.
post #13803 of 13816 Old 06-11-2014, 04:34 AM
Advanced Member

Well, I was on the phone with Comcast most of last night. They were unable to get me my HD channels on my HD DTA and ultimately suggested I get a new DTA. I'll see how that works.
post #13804 of 13816 Old 06-12-2014, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

I got the new HD DTA yesterday and tried again this morning and even though the service person had the HD channels on my lineup ( she was unable to really do anything. Various signals were sent to the box and it was reinitialized at least once more. Maybe the channels will show up during the day while I am work but I doubt it.

From the FCC page allowing encryption: "Encryption of all-digital cable service will allow cable operators to activate and deactivate cable service remotely, thus relieving many consumers of the need to wait at home to receive a cable technician when they sign up for or cancel cable service, or expand service to an existing cable connection in their home. " Yeah, right.
post #13805 of 13816 Old 06-13-2014, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottenst View Post
I got the new HD DTA yesterday and tried again this morning and even though the service person had the HD channels on my lineup ( she was unable to really do anything. Various signals were sent to the box and it was reinitialized at least once more. Maybe the channels will show up during the day while I am work but I doubt it.

From the FCC page allowing encryption: "Encryption of all-digital cable service will allow cable operators to activate and deactivate cable service remotely, thus relieving many consumers of the need to wait at home to receive a cable technician when they sign up for or cancel cable service, or expand service to an existing cable connection in their home. " Yeah, right.
I think Comcast does not have the correct codes in for the HD DTA that authorizes HD. A have Preferred Service and one of my HD DTAs did not receive any HD channels. Fortunately I had a free install but the install tech had to make many calls to finally get the correct codes on the HD DTA to authorize HD. You can press an hold "7" on the remote until a service menu comes up. I will bet that HD is not authorized on the HD DTA.
post #13806 of 13816 Old 06-13-2014, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post
I think Comcast does not have the correct codes in for the HD DTA that authorizes HD. A have Preferred Service and one of my HD DTAs did not receive any HD channels. Fortunately I had a free install but the install tech had to make many calls to finally get the correct codes on the HD DTA to authorize HD. You can press an hold "7" on the remote until a service menu comes up. I will bet that HD is not authorized on the HD DTA.
Thanks. I think you would win that bet. I'll be interested in seeing what comes up on that service menu. I really don't want to pay for a service call.

Looking elsewhere I see a similar situation:

<<your channel map on your account is NOT correct - hence why your (HD) DTA will NOT even allow you to enter ch 104, because it is NOT getting you the correct map to even allow it to accept 104 as a valid channel.
You need to talk to a (higher) person in tech support, to get your channel mapping on your account changed to your "digital headend".>>

So the question is how I could get someone in tech support high enough to help out.

Last edited by nottenst; 06-13-2014 at 08:14 AM. Reason: extra info
post #13807 of 13816 Old 06-13-2014, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottenst View Post
Thanks. I think you would win that bet. I'll be interested in seeing what comes up on that service menu. I really don't want to pay for a service call.

Looking elsewhere I see a similar situation:

<<your channel map on your account is NOT correct - hence why your (HD) DTA will NOT even allow you to enter ch 104, because it is NOT getting you the correct map to even allow it to accept 104 as a valid channel.
You need to talk to a (higher) person in tech support, to get your channel mapping on your account changed to your "digital headend".>>

So the question is how I could get someone in tech support high enough to help out.
Try: We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com, they have very skilled employees who can really help.
post #13808 of 13816 Old 06-13-2014, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Try: We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com, they have very skilled employees who can really help.
I did write but haven't heard back yet.

Quote:
You can press an hold "7" on the remote until a service menu comes up. I will bet that HD is not authorized on the HD DTA.
I did that and you won the bet. "HD Capability" is set to "OFF"
post #13809 of 13816 Old 06-14-2014, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

I called again this morning and the tech person tried to get the HD channels authorized on my box. He said it could take anywhere up to an hour and a half for it to work. I don't know if what he did actually succeeded because I was called by someone who heard about my problem from writing to We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com. This was about a 40 minutes after the end of my previous call. After less than 2 minutes after he called the HD channels were now working. I think it was him and not the delayed result from the earlier phone call, but I can't be certain. In any case, I have the channels. Thanks for the help.
TheKrell likes this.
post #13810 of 13816 Old 06-14-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

I agree it was the call from we can help. For a HD DTA the loading of the channel info is almost instantaneous.
nottenst likes this.
post #13811 of 13816 Old 06-14-2014, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What happened to WZDC 25? Since Friday I can no longer receive the channel.

Is anyone else have problems with WZDC?
post #13812 of 13816 Old 06-14-2014, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie20 View Post
What happened to WZDC 25? Since Friday I can no longer receive the channel.

Is anyone else have problems with WZDC?
I've lost it here in Berwyn Heights, just to the east of College Park. I have a chimney-mounted Winegard directional antenna and it is always reliable here.
post #13813 of 13816 Old 06-15-2014, 04:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Looks like it went out around 1PM on Friday the 13th. http://www.rabbitears.info/tvdx/sign...tuner1/WZDC-CD

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #13814 of 13816 Old 06-23-2014, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
WNUV, one of the three Sinclair stations in its home market of Baltimore, to get getTV on a subchannel soon:

http://www.tvtechnology.com/news/008...tations/271009

Now the Baltimore/DC area will have TWO getTV affiliates! Who says you can't have too much of a good thing?

dtv_junkie87
post #13815 of 13816 Old 07-03-2014, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtv_junkie87 View Post
WNUV, one of the three Sinclair stations in its home market of Baltimore, to get getTV on a subchannel soon:

http://www.tvtechnology.com/news/008...tations/271009

Now the Baltimore/DC area will have TWO getTV affiliates! Who says you can't have too much of a good thing?

dtv_junkie87
Channel 54-2, WNUV-DT, GET-TV became operational on or about 01 Jul 14.
post #13816 of 13816 Old 07-04-2014, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenJB View Post
Channel 54-2, WNUV-DT, GET-TV became operational on or about 01 Jul 14.
It's schedule information is incorrect at the moment. It indicated that Crash Landing would end at 9:55 PM this evening, when in fact it ended at 10:35, and it said it would be followed by Crime and Punishment, when it in fact was followed by Hellcats of the Navy. WFDC 14.3 has the content and time correct. The mismatch of time and content could be due to the Nancy Davis (Regan) marathon, if it is superseding the previously scheduled programming.

Last edited by AntAltMike; 07-05-2014 at 06:41 AM.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page