Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #13831 of 13853 Old 08-16-2014, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Promos are now up on 14.3 Grittv and 14.4 Escape. Gettv has been renumbered to 14-2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13832 of 13853 Old 08-18-2014, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have Spanish audio on both the English and Spanish audio selections on 45.1's NFL football game last night at 11:00 PM.

14.3 Grittv and 14.4 Escape came on as scheduled, but the clock didn't get reset. it is still at least fifteen minutes fast.

Last edited by AntAltMike; 09-08-2014 at 12:00 PM.
post #13833 of 13853 Old 08-23-2014, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Redskins/Ravens were on 4.1 (1080i), 7.1 (720p) and 54.1. How did they come to be carried by two channels in the same DMA?
post #13834 of 13853 Old 08-27-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Guessing here

I'm going to guess and say that WRC has the rights to Redskins games in the DC market, and WJLA has Ravens game rights in the DC market.

Perfect storm of pre-season scheduling. Likley not worth fighting over so it aired on both channels.

Going to sign up for Dish Network?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
me for a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
referral number that will give you a $50 credit on your first bill.
post #13835 of 13853 Old 08-28-2014, 04:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneGT View Post
I'm going to guess and say that WRC has the rights to Redskins games in the DC market, and WJLA has Ravens game rights in the DC market.

Perfect storm of pre-season scheduling. Likley not worth fighting over so it aired on both channels.
And tonight they are both showing pre-season games of the Redskins and Ravens - only this time it is two different games.
post #13836 of 13853 Old 08-31-2014, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I now see Bounce TV on WMAR 2.3 and still on WUTB. The same network on two channels in the same market?
post #13837 of 13853 Old 08-31-2014, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamajestic View Post
I now see Bounce TV on WMAR 2.3 and still on WUTB. The same network on two channels in the same market?
I'm seeing it too. FWIW, WMAR has the more powerful transmitter and wider coverage, but since its coverage totally overlaps WUTBs, then I will speculate that WUTB's affiliation will end soon though I have not as yet found either station's immediate sub-channel plans.
post #13838 of 13853 Old 08-31-2014, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamajestic View Post
I just attempted to send a query to WUTB viafeature on their website but got an invalid recipient rejection notice twice. I did successfully send a similar query to WMAR and await their response.
post #13839 of 13853 Old 09-02-2014, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

WUTB 24.2 is now blank, but the identifier is still holding that sub-channel's place.
post #13840 of 13853 Old 09-05-2014, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I am having reception difficulties with WUSA just during the day: ~ 12PM - 5PM. I am about 50 miles away in southern Stafford County with an AntennaCraft Y5-7-13 VHF antenna in my attic. My HDHomerun always reports > 90% signal strength and signal quality but when I am having troubles the symbol quality mostly stays below 50%. I have no problems with Primetime tuning on WUSA and no problems with any of the other channels. I just bought a new HDHomerun (to compare to the original version) to see if a supposedly better tuner would help but it has the same problem. Anyone else have this problem or know what might be causing "interference" during the day? Thanks.
post #13841 of 13853 Old 09-08-2014, 09:30 AM

Liked: 0
Hey guys,

Thank God I found a forum that can help me with my problem. I am originally from Northern Virginia (Redskins fan ) I moved to Maryland but I think I am pretty far to catch the redskins games on Fox 5 (WTTG Fox HD) or abc 7(WJLA -ABC HD).

So I think there are a couple of people in my same situtation and I can see that you are catching the games with no problems.
I have done some research and visited antennaweb.org

According to them in order to see WTTG-DT 5.1 FOX RF Channel: 36 which is 28 miles at 227 degrees I need to get a large directional antenna with a preamp to reach the violet areas.

Now my big question is which antenna should I get?

I don't think I can install it on my roof because of my strict HOA committee but thankfully I have an attic that I can mount it too. Couple of questions for you guys if you don't mind.

1. Based on your experience, what is a good antenna that can help me. I live in Halethorpe, MD 21227 trying to get to FOX 5 WTTG about 28 miles away.

2. What is a good preamp for this antenna.

3. I will setup this on my attic, you think it will be ok?

4. I'm sure that an antenna might be the only way, but is there a website or other cheap service that can help me watch the redskins games on the fox, abc and nbc stations for Washington, DC?

Thanks a million guys. I really appreciate your feedback and help.
post #13842 of 13853 Old 09-08-2014, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stringpower View Post
Hey guys,

Thank God I found a forum that can help me with my problem. I am originally from Northern Virginia (Redskins fan ) I moved to Maryland but I think I am pretty far to catch the redskins games on Fox 5 (WTTG Fox HD) or abc 7(WJLA -ABC HD).

So I think there are a couple of people in my same situtation and I can see that you are catching the games with no problems.
I have done some research and visited antennaweb.org

According to them in order to see WTTG-DT 5.1 FOX RF Channel: 36 which is 28 miles at 227 degrees I need to get a large directional antenna with a preamp to reach the violet areas.

Now my big question is which antenna should I get?

I don't think I can install it on my roof because of my strict HOA committee but thankfully I have an attic that I can mount it too. Couple of questions for you guys if you don't mind.

1. Based on your experience, what is a good antenna that can help me. I live in Halethorpe, MD 21227 trying to get to FOX 5 WTTG about 28 miles away.

2. What is a good preamp for this antenna.

4. I'm sure that an antenna might be the only way, but is there a website or other cheap service that can help me watch the redskins games on the fox, abc and nbc stations for Washington, DC?

Thanks a million guys. I really appreciate your feedback and help.
String,

1) Go to http://www.tvfool.com

2) Then go to http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?opti...pper&Itemid=29 , enter your information and antenna height, and click "Find Local Channels". Post a link to the final "Radar Plot". It will give a good guideline to your signal strength.

Unless you're behind a large hill or mountain or in a hole your location is very do-able. Since you're close to Baltimore, but between Baltimore and Washington, you could probably benefit with an antenna aimed at DC but which can get all the Baltimore channels from the backside (since they are very powerful at your zip code). Assuming again that you're not actually in a hole.

You might also post your request on the forum there, as there is a group of experts who give great antenna advice.

Jake
post #13843 of 13853 Old 09-08-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake V View Post
String,

Unless you're behind a large hill or mountain or in a hole your location is very do-able. Since you're close to Baltimore, but between Baltimore and Washington, you could probably benefit with an antenna aimed at DC but which can get all the Baltimore channels from the backside (since they are very powerful at your zip code). Assuming again that you're not actually in a hole.

You might also post your request on the forum there, as there is a group of experts who give great antenna advice.

Jake
Hey Jake,

Thanks for your quick reply. I really appreciate your help. I am going to do that. I don't have an antenna yet. Which one would you recommend I get. I want one that actually works. Thanks.
post #13844 of 13853 Old 09-08-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Hey Jake,

Thanks for your quick reply. I really appreciate your help. I am going to do that. I don't have an antenna yet. Which one would you recommend I get. I want one that actually works. Thanks.
String,

It's impossible to make a suggestion without seeing your TV Fool Report. If you're in a hole or at the bottom of a hill the recommendation can be very different than it would be on top of a hill. I'd post your TV Fool Report both here and the TV Fool forum. There are people who will give you better recommendations than I can.

BTW, attics are often not very friendly to antennas. If your house or roof is wrapped in anything with metal foil you might not receive anything with a large antenna (most attics block at least 30-40% of the signal in the best of conditions). A roof, eve, or chimney mounted antenna would be smaller and better. But you can certainly try it in the attic and then move outside if necessary.

John
post #13845 of 13853 Old 09-08-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake V View Post
String,

It's impossible to make a suggestion without seeing your TV Fool Report. If you're in a hole or at the bottom of a hill the recommendation can be very different than it would be on top of a hill. I'd post your TV Fool Report both here and the TV Fool forum. There are people who will give you better recommendations than I can.

BTW, attics are often not very friendly to antennas. If your house or roof is wrapped in anything with metal foil you might not receive anything with a large antenna (most attics block at least 30-40% of the signal in the best of conditions). A roof, eve, or chimney mounted antenna would be smaller and better. But you can certainly try it in the attic and then move outside if necessary.

John
Hey Jake,

Thanks. Here is my TV fool report. Let me know what you think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Radar-All.png
Views:	54
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	252650  
post #13846 of 13853 Old 09-08-2014, 10:56 AM

WJLA-7 (ABC, real channel 7) is "yellow" and WTTG-5 (Fox, real channel 36) is "red", meaning that it would be more difficult to get Channel 5 with an attic antenna.

I'm not an antenna expert (just a knowledgeable enthusiast) so I'll leave it to the real experts to make recommendations (there are 3 or 4 experts on TV Fool who will give you great advice). They are probably going to recommend a larger, directional antenna aimed at magnetic 238 degrees that is also capable of receiving the strong Baltimore stations from the backside.
post #13847 of 13853 Old 09-08-2014, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntAltMike View Post
I have Spanish audio on both the English and Spanish audio selections on 45.1's NFL football game last night at 11:00 PM..

It happened again, during yesterday's Ravens game on 45.1 If I'm the only one having this problem during Ravens games, then it must be my TV. I got English audio on 5.1.
post #13848 of 13853 Old 09-09-2014, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
If you can't mount an antenna on the roof, I wouldn't bother. Unfortunately the TV FOOL report indicates borderline / too weak DC signal strengths for an attic install.
post #13849 of 13853 Old 09-09-2014, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hey Jake,

If the attic doesn't work for you, you should know that legally an HOA cannot stop you from mounting an antenna on your roof.
post #13850 of 13853 Old 09-11-2014, 11:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
For all of you analog television aficionados, this past September 1st marked the one-year countdown to the final death of commercial analog television broadcasting in these here United States. Low-power (LPTV) analog stations are facing the dropping of the second shoe on September 1, 2015, when all commercial analog television transmissions must cease. The first shoe, of course, dropped June 12, 2009, with the termination of full power analog television broadcast stations on Channels 2 through 69. Here is the announcement for the termination of analog LPTV stations:

"The FCC has established September 1, 2015, the date for the termination of all analog low power television service. After that date, analog television will no longer be broadcast in the United States. Until that time, low power television stations may continue to operate their analog facilities.

"Low power television stations have the opportunity to seek either an on-channel digital conversion of their existing analog facilities (“flash cut”) or may construct and operate a second digital companion channel during the remainder of the digital transition. However, all low power television stations will be required to decide a single digital channel to continue to operate after the September 1, 2015 transition date."

Locally, in the Washington, DC area, to my knowledge, only two remaining LPTV analog stations will be affected by the September 1, 2015 deadline. They are WDCN-LP, analog Channel 6, Fairfax, VA, and WMDO-CA, analog Channel 47, Washington, DC. WDCN has a CP on file with the FCC for WDCN-LD, digital RF Channel 43, probably with the intent to map to digital virtual Channel 6. WMDO-LD is also currently actively broadcasting on digital RF Channel 8, while mapping to digital virtual Channel 47. It is my understanding that WMDO-LD has a CP on file with the FCC to vacate digital RF Channel 8 for digital RF Channel 22, and to continue to map to digital virtual Channel 47. One immediate benefit for residents in the southern and central portions of Montgomery County, MD, is that by WMDO-LD's vacating digital RF Channel 8, that it will eliminate WMDO's interference with WGAL-DT, RF Channel 8 in Lancaster, PA, in parts of Montgomery County, MD, which can receive both stations on digital Channel 8. WGAL-DT sends out a huge 59 kW ERP non-directional digital signal, which almost reaches the Capital Beltway just north of DC.

Last edited by StevenJB; 09-11-2014 at 11:58 PM.
post #13851 of 13853 Old 09-12-2014, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Hey Jake,

I'm a few miles south of BWI and have a very similar TVFOOL profile.

I've had great success with a Winegard HD-1080 antenna with Channel Master CM-7777 preamp. I get a stable signal on all full strength stations in DC and Baltimore (including WTTG and WJLA) in all but the worst weather in a challenging situation: attic mounted, aluminum siding, big trees, close to airport. The amp is only needed for the DC stations. It took some patience to find the sweet spot for the antenna that worked best, which turned out to be due west, hanging by some twine from the rafters.
TheKrell likes this.

Last edited by oaks; 09-12-2014 at 03:58 PM.
post #13852 of 13853 Old 09-13-2014, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Sorry, the HD 1080 is a terrible choice given the OP's location. While I like the 1080, it is not gonna work for DC with that TV Fool report.

Besides the OP is looking for someone to tell him that an attic antenna will work, so no sense going any further till he is ready to tell his HOA where to stick it.
post #13853 of 13853 Old 09-13-2014, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
Sorry, the HD 1080 is a terrible choice given the OP's location. While I like the 1080, it is not gonna work for DC with that TV Fool report.

Besides the OP is looking for someone to tell him that an attic antenna will work, so no sense going any further till he is ready to tell his HOA where to stick it.
I think he should consider a Winegard 7696 or Antennacraft HBU-33 antenna, and a Channel Master 7778 preamp or 3414 distribution amp. Or possibly a Winegard LNA-200 preamp. Not too much amp is needed. And of course outside is better, but I don't know why he would have a weak signal report at 28 miles for full power stations. But he could try the attic and see what happens.
TheKrell likes this.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page