post #13891 of 13918 Old 11-05-2014, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlarkin_dc View Post
Yikes, you even have a few degrees either side of 4 from other broadcasters! 'Makes me wonder if there isn't something up with that channel, like the polarization being slightly off or something like that. What are your 4 symptoms?

Dave
I too have noticed how channel 4 can be finicky in certain closer in locations. In Manassas I have run into problems more than once, but raising/lowering the antenna 6-12 inches always resloved any issues.

OTOH, at the fringes of reception to the west beyond Culpeper, Channel 4 still holds it's own well. Channel 50 is too weak to decode while channel 66 is still strong. Channel 4 is even more reliable than powerhouse channels 7 & 9 once 65+ miles out in that direction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13892 of 13918 Old 11-05-2014, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlarkin_dc View Post
Yikes, you even have a few degrees either side of 4 from other broadcasters! 'Makes me wonder if there isn't something up with that channel, like the polarization being slightly off or something like that. What are your 4 symptoms?

Dave
Signal strength fluctuation, and sometimes just not there at all. There is a line of trees behind the houses across the street that probably are the cause...
post #13893 of 13918 Old 11-05-2014, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Sterling, VA

Thanks for the details about UHF vs VHF, I acquired amazon basics 50 miler, and I get most channels, 4.1,4.2,5.1, 7.3,7.4,7.5, 9.1, 9.2, 9.3. 20.1, 50.1 all come in, which is better than i was getting before.

I guess 7.1 is harder to get than the others? Any suggestions?

The house has coax runs through out from DTV setup outside, I'm tempted to mount an external antenna but that's on the west side of the house, and HOA says it needs to stay below roofline, i'm tempted to push that and raise a mount from the DTV that i'll yank out and put something up using the existing wiring, any suggestions? Only issue is the cable is just running along the gutter and it's not really secure.

So close to being able to simply use existing coax. No coax is running into attic so i'd need to run new coax for that.

I'll try to move the antenna around some more to see if i can get 7.1, annoying, and I also tried the Radio shack amped antenna with the circlular antenna, and didn't have any luck with the UHF stations. I actually have better signal, or get more channels when running the amazon basics 50 mile antenna (with amp) through a splitter then into TV.

Last edited by jwspiker; 11-05-2014 at 04:14 PM.
post #13894 of 13918 Old 11-05-2014, 05:46 PM

it would seem that 7.3 = 7.1 on my xbr4 tuner, so seems im good, my 52xbr4 tunes 7.1 to 7.3 and 7.2 to 7.4 and 7.3 to 7.5, any one else see that in this region?

Last edited by jwspiker; 11-05-2014 at 06:15 PM.
post #13895 of 13918 Old 11-07-2014, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
bloom/blotches

My 37" Olevia just recently developed redish blotches/blooms, on dimmer scenes. I first noticed them on Route 66 on 4.2, but then also on I Spy. Now, I'm seeing it on Grimm. I can't see I've seen it on any other station.

It's an orphan; Olevia lasted through one Black Friday/Christmas then vanished.

Is there any good news for me? Could it be something unique to WRC?
post #13896 of 13918 Old 11-26-2014, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntAltMike View Post
30.1-30.6 and 30.7-30.12 have both been out for at least an hour
I generally get 30.1-30.6, but I've never been able to pick up 30.7-30.12 and had figured (wrongly it seems) that it was one or the other.

Is there some trick to getting the other half?
post #13897 of 13918 Old 11-27-2014, 12:03 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by StantonGuy View Post
I generally get 30.1-30.6, but I've never been able to pick up 30.7-30.12 and had figured (wrongly it seems) that it was one or the other.

Is there some trick to getting the other half?
There is no trick or secret about receiving Channels 30-7 through 30-12. It's always about your location and what equipment you are using to achieve your goal. Maybe you are aware or then again maybe you are unaware that Channels 30-1 through 30-6 and Channels 30-7 through 30-12 are broadcast from separate transmitters located some 20+ miles apart. WNVC-DT, Digital Channel 24, which broadcasts MHz1 through MHz6, is located west of the District next to the Capital Beltway in Merrifield, VA, whereas WNVT-DT, Digital Channel 30, which broadcasts MHz7 through MHz12, is located to the SW of Merrifield just west of Dale City, VA. Both transmitters use the same 160 kW ERP with similar antenna height above average terrain. I can receive an excellent signal for both WNVC and WNVT in central Montgomery County some 40 miles away from WNVT. Then again, I am very high up in elevation and use an outdoor VHF/UHF antenna along with a distribution amp.
TheKrell likes this.
post #13898 of 13918 Old 12-09-2014, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfs View Post
My 37" Olevia just recently developed redish blotches/blooms, on dimmer scenes. I first noticed them on Route 66 on 4.2, but then also on I Spy. Now, I'm seeing it on Grimm. I can't see I've seen it on any other station.

It's an orphan; Olevia lasted through one Black Friday/Christmas then vanished.

Is there any good news for me? Could it be something unique to WRC?
A broadcaster wouldn't be putting red blotches of blooms on your TV display. Sounds like there is a problem with the screen.
post #13899 of 13918 Old 12-09-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwspiker View Post
Thanks for the details about UHF vs VHF, I acquired amazon basics 50 miler, and I get most channels, 4.1,4.2,5.1, 7.3,7.4,7.5, 9.1, 9.2, 9.3. 20.1, 50.1 all come in, which is better than i was getting before.

I guess 7.1 is harder to get than the others? Any suggestions?

I'll try to move the antenna around some more to see if i can get 7.1, annoying, and I also tried the Radio shack amped antenna with the circlular antenna, and didn't have any luck with the UHF stations. I actually have better signal, or get more channels when running the amazon basics 50 mile antenna (with amp) through a splitter then into TV.
If you're getting 7.2 and 7.3, then you should be getting 7.1 since they're all on the same stream. I'd stay away from Radio Shack amps or coax. Their coax has poor shielding, causing what amounts to multipath through the jacket. Multipath is a DTV signal quality killer. The Radio Shack amps I've tested don't have the higher frequency bandwidth to pass DTV stations in the 600Mhz range. Channel Master amps are typically the best, if you need to use an amp.

Good Luck!
post #13900 of 13918 Old 12-12-2014, 10:16 PM

4.2 is DOA

WRC 4.2 (rf: 48) went black & silent at 2355 [Run for your Life] and now {0014} is still that way. The encoder works; I can see I'm missing Scottie and Kelly.
post #13901 of 13918 Old 12-13-2014, 03:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
It appears to be back as of 5:50AM, though I was asleep when you posted. No telling how long it's been back up.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #13902 of 13918 Old 12-13-2014, 12:07 PM

I gave up about 12:30
post #13903 of 13918 Old 12-14-2014, 07:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

So yesterday I finally got my antenna out of the attic and onto the roof. I originally called up Fairfax Antenna and proceeded to get into an argument about the antenna I wanted put up, so I ruled them out. I wound up going with this company: http://getwiredup.tv/

Murphy's Law was in full effect, including a broken ground nut (they ran to Lowes), a mount pole that was just slightly too large for the antenna (a manual override was employed), and I even broke an element off my antenna (which I should be able to repair), but the job was done well and I'm exceptionally pleased. I'll post a picture once I take one.

In the move outside, I lost WUTB which had been just barely above decoding some of the time, and did not gain WNVT as hoped, but now all the signals I considered "must have" (WJZ, WBFF, WMPT, WETA) seem to be more reliable with fewer drop-outs, though I could only spot-check them.

I will probably go back up there and play with it as time goes on. Among other things, I will probably try to figure out how to make the mast taller and get the antenna higher off the roof, among other things.

EDIT: Forgot the link! http://m.rabbitears.info/index.php?r...e=ET&unit=dBmV

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

Last edited by Trip in VA; 12-14-2014 at 07:53 AM.
post #13904 of 13918 Old 12-14-2014, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
So yesterday I finally got my antenna out of the attic and onto the roof. I originally called up Fairfax Antenna and proceeded to get into an argument about the antenna I wanted put up, so I ruled them out. I wound up going with this company: http://getwiredup.tv/

Murphy's Law was in full effect, including a broken ground nut (they ran to Lowes), a mount pole that was just slightly too large for the antenna (a manual override was employed), and I even broke an element off my antenna (which I should be able to repair), but the job was done well and I'm exceptionally pleased. I'll post a picture once I take one.

In the move outside, I lost WUTB which had been just barely above decoding some of the time, and did not gain WNVT as hoped, but now all the signals I considered "must have" (WJZ, WBFF, WMPT, WETA) seem to be more reliable with fewer drop-outs, though I could only spot-check them.

I will probably go back up there and play with it as time goes on. Among other things, I will probably try to figure out how to make the mast taller and get the antenna higher off the roof, among other things.

EDIT: Forgot the link! http://m.rabbitears.info/index.php?r...e=ET&unit=dBmV

- Trip
So what model antenna did you put up, and did you use a preamp? And what did antenna did Fairfax want you to use?
post #13905 of 13918 Old 12-14-2014, 12:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I put up my HBU44 with my Kitztech amp in the attic just inside the house. Fairfax Antenna wanted to sell me a Winegard 7694, and wasn't going to reduce the price if I already had my own antenna (which I did, and was already in my attic). Actually, they wanted to charge me more than if I used their antenna.

EDIT: I just rescanned one of my Samsung TVs and it actually scanned in WUTB, WNVT, and WDDN, though they were not watchable. That suggests I should be able to play with it and pull them in.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

Last edited by Trip in VA; 12-14-2014 at 01:04 PM.
post #13906 of 13918 Old 12-17-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwspiker View Post
The house has coax runs through out from DTV setup outside, I'm tempted to mount an external antenna but that's on the west side of the house, and HOA says it needs to stay below roofline, i'm tempted to push that and raise a mount from the DTV that i'll yank out and put something up using the existing wiring, any suggestions? Only issue is the cable is just running along the gutter and it's not really secure.
FCC regulations specifically prohibit HOA's from regulating antennas that are less than 12' above the roof line. Regular TV antenna length is not limited, but reading is generally that if you are in townhome/condo it can't hang over your neighbor's house. So feel free to re-use your old dish mount if it is sturdy enough to hold your antenna.

FCC Regs: http://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-r...n-devices-rule

Find your best antenna choices: tvfool.com (make a station plot and post it on the forum there for antenna advice).
post #13907 of 13918 Old Yesterday, 11:34 AM

Liked: 12
I live on the ground floor of an apartment building in Ellicott City, MD. This week I purchased a Mohu Leaf 30. According to the Mohu website, I would get all the four major broadcast channels from Baltimore and D.C. After hooking it up, I'm finding that I get no D.C channels nor do I get the Baltimore CBS and NBC channels. All toll I get 12 channels where the website says I should get 46. I've tried playing around with the location of the antenna. It is currently located next to a glass sliding door that leads outside. My question is, can anyone recommend an indoor antenna that would pickup both the D.C and Baltimore ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX channels?
post #13908 of 13918 Old Yesterday, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by shobuddy View Post
I live on the ground floor of an apartment building in Ellicott City, MD. This week I purchased a Mohu Leaf 30. According to the Mohu website, I would get all the four major broadcast channels from Baltimore and D.C. After hooking it up, I'm finding that I get no D.C channels nor do I get the Baltimore CBS and NBC channels. All toll I get 12 channels where the website says I should get 46. I've tried playing around with the location of the antenna. It is currently located next to a glass sliding door that leads outside. My question is, can anyone recommend an indoor antenna that would pickup both the D.C and Baltimore ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX channels?
Perhaps the Mohu 50 amplified version would work better. But those Mohu antennas are not optimized for your VHF channels. I would consider a Terk HDTVa sold at HHG. It has rabbit ears for VHF, a good UHF element, and an amp. But see if they will price match an online vendor. And that antenna may now be called Terk Log Antenna.
post #13909 of 13918 Old Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I gotta ask a dumb question but many people fail to do this. After you connected the antenna did you scan the channels from the setup menu? If so, also run a channel scan each time you change the antenna location.

I use this one and I get Baltimore channel but have some trouble getting B-Mores channel 11.1 and 13.1:

http://www.costco.com/Winegard-Flatw...100047906.html

An amplified version of the Winegard is also available.

Click For My Website - www.E55AMG.com

post #13910 of 13918 Old Yesterday, 05:35 PM

I will be moving to Lusby MD next summer and I'm tired of paying 200 bucks per month for cable. I want to go with OTA and internet for my media.

I've checked a few sights and it seems I'm on the raged edge of reception. I've looked at several high gain antennas on Amazon but wanted to see if anyone has some advise. Looks like I'll be almost 50 miles from the towers. I'll be renting so permanent mounting isn't an option. Not sure if I can get away with an attic mount. Thanks.
post #13911 of 13918 Old Yesterday, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Perhaps the Mohu 50 amplified version would work better. But those Mohu antennas are not optimized for your VHF channels. I would consider a Terk HDTVa sold at HHG. It has rabbit ears for VHF, a good UHF element, and an amp. But see if they will price match an online vendor. And that antenna may now be called Terk Log Antenna.
Any chance you could link me to the antenna? I searched HHG's website but could not come up with anything resembling your description.
post #13912 of 13918 Old Yesterday, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E55 KEV View Post
I gotta ask a dumb question but many people fail to do this. After you connected the antenna did you scan the channels from the setup menu? If so, also run a channel scan each time you change the antenna location.

I use this one and I get Baltimore channel but have some trouble getting B-Mores channel 11.1 and 13.1:

http://www.costco.com/Winegard-Flatw...100047906.html

An amplified version of the Winegard is also available.
I did the channel scan a few times after moving the antenna location. I even tried those channels manually. 11.1 and 13.1 are the ones I mentioned in my post that I do not receive and after tyler pointed it out, I see they are VHF so I think I would need an amplified antenna that does VHF well.
post #13913 of 13918 Old Today, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Freas View Post
I will be moving to Lusby MD next summer . . . . Not sure if I can get away with an attic mount.
Maybe . . . . .Maybe not?? Hard to say without a TV Fool report.
post #13914 of 13918 Old Today, 06:06 AM

I don't have a specific address yet but here is the report.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Radar-Digital.png
Views:	11
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	430658  
post #13915 of 13918 Old Today, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Freas View Post
I will be moving to Lusby MD next summer and I'm tired of paying 200 bucks per month for cable. I want to go with OTA and internet for my media.

I've checked a few sights and it seems I'm on the raged edge of reception. I've looked at several high gain antennas on Amazon but wanted to see if anyone has some advise. Looks like I'll be almost 50 miles from the towers. I'll be renting so permanent mounting isn't an option. Not sure if I can get away with an attic mount. Thanks.
Mike, I am in Southern Maryland (California, MD, a few miles from Lusby). We are on the ragged edge. I have a 91-XG for UHF and the Winegard 1713 for VHF with a CM 7777 amp. My antenna is roughly 40' above ground level (mounted on a pole on the roof), which is probably 100' above sea level. I am still fiddling with it..it unfortunately is not reliable enough to replace DTV (and my wife watches too many non-OTA channels), but the picture is spectacular when it works.

Believe it or not, the closest towers are on the Eastern Shore (roughly 80° in your tvfool report), but I am generally aimed at D.C. and Baltimore...I am 53 miles away from the D.C. towers. I have better reliability with the Hi-VHF signals than the UHF. Unfortunately, the two networks I watch most frequently are NBC & FOX, which are both UHF.

Last edited by sastanley; Today at 09:23 AM. Reason: typos
post #13916 of 13918 Old Today, 09:15 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
The apartment may have foil-backed insulation, which would block much of the signal. Try temporarily moving the antenna outside.
post #13917 of 13918 Old Today, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sastanley View Post
Mike, I am in Southern Maryland (California, MD, a few miles from Lusby). We are on the ragged edge. I have a 91-XG for UHF and the Winegard 1713 for VHF with a CM 7777 amp. My antenna is roughly 40' above ground level (mounted on a pole on the roof), which is probably 100' above sea level. I am still fiddling with it..it unfortunately is not reliable enough to replace DTV (and my wife watches too many non-OTA channels), but the picture is spectacular when it works.

Believe it or not, the closest towers are on the Eastern Shore (roughly 80° in your tvfool report), but I am generally aimed at D.C. and Baltimore...I am 53 miles away from the D.C. towers. I have better reliability with the Hi-VHF signals than the UHF. Unfortunately, the two networks I watch most frequently are NBC & FOX, which are both UHF.
Drats! Well, I guess I have two choices then. Ditch TV all together or get the most basic cable package available. Seems the ISP there charges a good chunk of money for slow internet. I'm spoiled here with fiber 75 up and down. Still, I'm paying 200 bucks per month which is a rip off.
post #13918 of 13918 Old Today, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
It appears to be back as of 5:50AM,

- Trip
And tonight it is hung; this time showing an PI ad for grab bags ... It's been about an hour.

[The vendor pays zip to run an ad. The station has a contract where they get paid Per Inquiry aka calls to the 800# or web hits...] So they fill up the air time with the ads.

Last edited by mkfs; Today at 11:34 PM. Reason: quote marks
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page