Washington, DC / Baltimore, MD - HDTV - Page 472 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 24Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #14131 of 14138 Old 08-08-2015, 02:29 PM
Senior Member
 
mdviewer25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Capitol Heights, MD
Posts: 464
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Using Clearstream C2V as an indoor antenna. Improved signal for WBAL and WJZ slightly. Still need to try different position for WUTB, no signal improvement

HD DVD = 102
BD = 45
mdviewer25 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14132 of 14138 Old 08-09-2015, 07:03 PM
Member
 
b5fan001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 42
RCA Compact Outdoor Yagi HDTV Antenna

I was using an indoor antenna for several months until the leaves came into the trees and it became impossible to watch OTA HDTV.
I had to wait a while but I finally bought this little gem. It works extremely well. I live a little more than 17 miles away from the towers, but I'm behind several rows of townhouses.
My home theater is in the basement of my rental townhouse. I didn't put the antenna on the roof but I placed it on the backyard fence. It is about five feet above the seven foot fence.

The difference of the signal levels is better than I hoped for. See Below! Very Happy! Hey Many Thanks to Digital Rules for great advice!!


Signal levels are from signal meter built into the TIVO Roamio.

Old Signal Level
4.1 - 60
5.1 - 42
7.1 - 55
9.1 - 38
20.1 - 35
50.1 - 45
66.1 - 39


New Antenna - RCA Compact Outdoor Yagi HDTV Antenna

New Signal Level
4.1 - 62
5.1 - 48
7.1 - 85
9.1 - 72 to 85
20.1 - 58 to 60
50.1 - 72
66.1 - 77


Signal levels are from signal meter built into the TIVO Roamio.
-B

Last edited by b5fan001; 08-10-2015 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Cleaned up after HTML error occurred
b5fan001 is online now  
post #14133 of 14138 Old 08-10-2015, 03:52 PM
Member
 
b5fan001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomar View Post
Is there anyone near Dulles airport that can share their experiences with OTA reception? I'm curious to know if the airplane causes dropouts. I'm considering either an attic or roof top antenna install.
I live in Sterling and I just posted this last night:
Washington, DC / Baltimore, MD - HDTV

-B
b5fan001 is online now  
post #14134 of 14138 Old 08-11-2015, 08:31 AM
Member
 
Tomar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by b5fan001 View Post
I live in Sterling and I just posted this last night:
Washington, DC / Baltimore, MD - HDTV

-B
Hey b5fan001, I saw your post earlier but I didn't realize you are in Sterling. I'm glad to hear that your new antenna is working well for you. I borrowed an antenna from one our members. I also live in a townhouse and I have temperarily put the antenna on my deck (about 15-20' off the ground). The performance improvement is great. I was originally using a 4 bay UHF antenna so when certain stations went to VHF, I was out of luck. Now I am picking them up again plus channels in other markets. The only "problem" I seem to be having so far is with NBC 4.1. I believe I am experiencing multipath because the picture will hiccup a couple of times. I have sat through an entire show on 4.1 so I can say how often it happens. I'll have to do more testing (i.e. - watching TV) to get a better feel of the performance.
Tomar is offline  
post #14135 of 14138 Old 08-12-2015, 11:11 AM
Member
 
b5fan001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomar View Post
Hey b5fan001, I saw your post earlier but I didn't realize you are in Sterling. I'm glad to hear that your new antenna is working well for you. I borrowed an antenna from one our members. I also live in a townhouse and I have temporarily put the antenna on my deck (about 15-20' off the ground). The performance improvement is great. I was originally using a 4 bay UHF antenna so when certain stations went to VHF, I was out of luck. Now I am picking them up again plus channels in other markets. The only "problem" I seem to be having so far is with NBC 4.1. I believe I am experiencing multipath because the picture will hiccup a couple of times. I have sat through an entire show on 4.1 so I can say how often it happens. I'll have to do more testing (i.e. - watching TV) to get a better feel of the performance.

Did you see on my report that the signal improvement for Channels Four and Five were negligible? Although, I will say that Channel 5 seemed to have more dropouts with the old antenna. What I found originally with the flat indoor antenna was that if I turned it to get great Channel 9, Channel 4 was problematic and if I turned it to get great Channel 4, Channel 9 was problematic.


What channels in other markets are you gettting signal for? If any channels are UHF, I'd like to see if I can get them too!


-B
b5fan001 is online now  
post #14136 of 14138 Old Today, 04:53 AM
Member
 
Tomar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by b5fan001 View Post
Did you see on my report that the signal improvement for Channels Four and Five were negligible? Although, I will say that Channel 5 seemed to have more dropouts with the old antenna. What I found originally with the flat indoor antenna was that if I turned it to get great Channel 9, Channel 4 was problematic and if I turned it to get great Channel 4, Channel 9 was problematic.


What channels in other markets are you gettting signal for? If any channels are UHF, I'd like to see if I can get them too!


-B
Yes I read your report. Like you I have played around with indoor antennas, but I have learned that directional outdoor antennas are really the way to go. The new market I saw was some town/city in PA. It was not familiar to me so I can't remember the name. I don't know to determine which channels are coming from that area. I'll see if I can find out.
Tomar is offline  
post #14137 of 14138 Old Today, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
AntAltMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: College Park, MD
Posts: 3,735
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by b5fan001 View Post
Did you see on my report that the signal improvement for Channels Four and Five were negligible? Although, I will say that Channel 5 seemed to have more dropouts with the old antenna. What I found originally with the flat indoor antenna was that if I turned it to get great Channel 9, Channel 4 was problematic and if I turned it to get great Channel 4, Channel 9 was problematic.
You should not overlook the fact that channels 7.1 and 9.1 are really broadcast on VHF channels 7 and 9, whereas channels 4.1 and 5.1 are virtual channels that are broadcast on UHF channels 48 and 36 respectively, and so you might fare better by coupling a "rabbit ears" or tubular or wand shaped antenna for 7 and 9 with a smaller, loop or square shaped antenna for your other channels, and then not only would you be using optimal hardware for each, you could also peak their performance separately. If you do that, be sure to couple them with a joiner called a UVSJ, or UHF/VHF band joiner.
AntAltMike is online now  
post #14138 of 14138 Old Today, 03:28 PM
Member
 
b5fan001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntAltMike View Post
You should not overlook the fact that channels 7.1 and 9.1 are really broadcast on VHF channels 7 and 9, whereas channels 4.1 and 5.1 are virtual channels that are broadcast on UHF channels 48 and 36 respectively, and so you might fare better by coupling a "rabbit ears" or tubular or wand shaped antenna for 7 and 9 with a smaller, loop or square shaped antenna for your other channels, and then not only would you be using optimal hardware for each, you could also peak their performance separately. If you do that, be sure to couple them with a joiner called a UVSJ, or UHF/VHF band joiner.
Dang it!!! I thought it was the other way around with the channels. I thought I would see great improvement in UHF and some improvement with VHF. But instead, 4 and 5 UHF was steady while 7 and 9 VHF improved greatly.

Anyone have any idea why that might have happened?

If I start have anymore freezes and/or drop-outs, I will look into the joiner. As it is so far.......no problems!!

-B
b5fan001 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off