Washington, DC / Baltimore, MD - HDTV - Page 476 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 31Likes
post #14251 of 14262 Old 01-26-2016, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Progress is beaing made with WFDC. 14.1-14.4 have programming info. 15.1 and 15.2 still exist without programming info. But the sound assignments are mixed up on 14.2, where the SAP audio choice of English 1 gets me 14.4 Escape audio, whereas English 2 gets me the correct audio, and on 14.1 selecting Spanish or Other gets me the correct audio, whereas selecting English gets me 14.3 GetTV audio.

It sure would be nice if the Spanish channels could give us English as alternate audio, but they can't because they are paying much less for the rights to distribute programming in Spanish than they would to show the same programming in English... though as I recall, they paid several times as much to carry the World Soccer games in Spanish than ESPN paid to carry them in English.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14252 of 14262 Old 01-27-2016, 04:48 PM

Liked: 55
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by buri View Post
Hello,

I'm trying to receive OTA signals in the Church Mills subdivision of Sterling, VA (near Church Rd & Sterling Blvd) but am not having any luck. I'm up on a hill and can receive analog just fine, but don't pick up a single digital channel.

I have the "TERK HD-TVS Slim Profile Outdoor HDtv Antenna" (medium directional) attached to a Sony Bravia TV. I've tried the roof of my two-story house as well as the attic, using the orientations specified by AntennaWeb, as well as pretty much every angle in the general direction of D.C.

Has anyone in my area had luck with OTA? What should my next step be, a pre-amp?

Thanks for helping out a newbie!
BU

I'm in Woodstone off Frederick Road and I get all the DC stations that I look for just fine. I use a RCA Compact Outdoor Yagi HDTV Antenna about 15 feet or so off the ground pointing at DC. I found that if I took some time and carefully worked with the antenna using the strength meter in the TiVo to get the best reception.

I was using a amplifier with my old flat wall antenna. It wasn't very helpful. I don't need it for the RCA.

-B
TiVo Roamio OTA with Denon AVR 591
My floor speakers, surrounds and sub are Polk brand.
FiOS 50/50 Streaming

If anyone in the DMV area wants to unload some old
Home Theater Seats, I'm your guy!
post #14253 of 14262 Old 02-06-2016, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Single-channel antenna suppliers?

There's lots of discussions here about specific antennas. In decades past, there were manufacturers of channel-specific antennas, typically used by MATV systems in fringe areas. A friend needs one.

Are such still available? Sources?
post #14254 of 14262 Old 02-06-2016, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfs View Post
There's lots of discussions here about specific antennas. In decades past, there were manufacturers of channel-specific antennas, typically used by MATV systems in fringe areas. A friend needs one.

Are such still available? Sources?
There isn't much out in the way of cut-to-channel antennas being made these days, and the only ones I'm familiar with are commercial grade products that are favored for use in harsh environments due to their durability, rather than their technical performance. If you use TVFool.com to develop an analysis of your reception situation and post your results, we can better advise you regarding what contemporary products best meet your needs.
post #14255 of 14262 Old 02-06-2016, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Well, I'm at 30.150999, -82.664807, with a 50 ft tower. Our interests are:

WFOX RF32, 66 miles -90.7 dBm.
WOGX RF31, 58 miles, -84 dBm.

Both of these are marginal with the current Stacker.
Plus, they are in different directions.....
We can go up another 10-15 ft, perhaps.
post #14256 of 14262 Old 02-07-2016, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfs View Post
Well, I'm at 30.150999, -82.664807, with a 50 ft tower. Our interests are:

WFOX RF32, 66 miles -90.7 dBm.
WOGX RF31, 58 miles, -84 dBm.

Both of these are marginal with the current Stacker.
Plus, they are in different directions.....
We can go up another 10-15 ft, perhaps.
Vacation home? Is that in swampland or something? I've never seen anyone with 2-edge reception in two directions at those distances in Florida before.

You will do better reposting this under its own, "I'm in the boonies" thread in the HDTV technical sub-forum, as there are not many antenna junkies here, and there is really no reason to believe the do-it-yourselfers in Jacksonville or Ocala will have the expertise you seek.

What are you using for a pre-amp, and about how long is your downlead, from the antenna to the house input point, and beyond?

Who climbs the tower?

For my money (well, for your money) I'd use the highest gain UHF antenna at 30/31 I could find, and have a bandpass filter right before your preamp. Others can put their fingers on the highest gain 30/31 antenna, and since you are in Florida and this is on a tower, you'd be well advised to pick a preamp that is historically, and by design, least vulnerable to lightning damage, as I think it has been reported here that the lowest noise figure preamplifiers are of a design that makes them more susceptible to lightning damage.
post #14257 of 14262 Old 02-07-2016, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
My apologizes if this is not the correct thread, but this is the closest one I can find to cover Grasonville, MD which for Atlantic Broadband seems to use DC and Baltimore stations.

Anyway, I'm trying to find out if Atlantic Broadband still supposedly uses Clear QAM as the delivery method for Value channels.

Supposedly they did in Miami even for HDs but I didn't get any answer in the Miami forum when I tried asking there.

My area of Johnstown is being converted now and while all the simulcast channels were encrypted except for Locals it seems like they might have decided to leave encryption off some non-locals.

But then again this area they pushed the DTAs but didn't flat out say like in other areas, "The DTA is required" or "The DTA is only required for non-digital TVs".

My Technological Website - http://www.thethreetechamigos.net
post #14258 of 14262 Unread Yesterday, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by al.rob View Post
Until a few weeks ago, I used to get sound out of the rear and center channel speakers on MPT. Recently I have only gotten front main channel stereo. I can record the same shows on WETA and get the Dolby 5.1 sound.

So channel WETA, channel 26.1, should be in 5.1 sound? I only ever get 2-channel sound OTA.
post #14259 of 14262 Unread Yesterday, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Todd View Post
So channel WETA, channel 26.1, should be in 5.1 sound? I only ever get 2-channel sound OTA.
26.1 transmits Dolby Digital 2.0
post #14260 of 14262 Unread Today, 05:23 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Todd View Post
I get sound out of all speakers on WETA. I can't tell if it is actually 5.1 with my system, though. On WMPT main channel I get sound only out of the 2 main front speakers, as they must turn on the 5.1 but send nothing out of the other channels. On WMPT sub-channels I get sound out of all speakers since they must not send out a 5.1 signal on those so the system puts in its own "fill" for the missing speakers.
post #14261 of 14262 Unread Today, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by al.rob View Post
I get sound out of all speakers on WETA. I can't tell if it is actually 5.1 with my system, though. On WMPT main channel I get sound only out of the 2 main front speakers, as they must turn on the 5.1 but send nothing out of the other channels. On WMPT sub-channels I get sound out of all speakers since they must not send out a 5.1 signal on those so the system puts in its own "fill" for the missing speakers.
You are just getting an upmix on 26.1 from 2.0 to 5.1.
On 22.1 they have misconfigured audio. They send DD 6.1, but only output audio from LF and RF channels. That will not be upmixed by Dolby PLII to other channels. But on an ATMOS AVR, those 2 channels are also sent to the Atmos Height channels. So I get LF, RF, Top L, and Top R.
Checkout WJLA 7.1, they are currently sending DD 5.0. They are missing the low frequency .5 channel since Dec 2 2015.
post #14262 of 14262 Unread Today, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Another thing MPT does on its main channel is randomly four-side box 16:9 content. E.g., the British show New Tricks is 16:9 and MPT often correctly transmits it so, but once in a while passes it "boxed" on all four sides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception