Washington, DC / Baltimore, MD - HDTV - Page 479 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 35Likes
post #14341 of 14352 Unread 07-08-2016, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Jake - Yes, I was trying to get feedback on Channel Master's new adjustable amplifier with a built-in LTE filter. I went ahead and bought it figuring that it would be better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. I live in a 3 story townhouse, so technically, the antenna would be 4 stories up. The line will run from the roof to the ground floor and into a 4-way amplified splitter (Channel Master 3414). The antenna will feed 4 TVs and one of them is on the 3rd floor. So the longest run will be from the roof, down 4 stories to the ground and back up 3 stories to the TV. I may be overdoing it with the amplifiers because I will have the adjustable amplifier feeding the 4-way amplified splitter. I imagine that if I need to remove one of them, it should be the adjustable amplifier as opposed to the splitter?

Thanks for your suggestions on placement! The guy I'm hiring to install the antenna told me he was going to use the signal strength meter on the TV to determine placement. I had some concerns about this approach initially but at the end of the day, I guess the receiver is the determining factor. Does this make sense or am I oversimplifying it? He used to install satellite dishes and he tells me antennas are easy...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14342 of 14352 Unread 07-09-2016, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomar View Post
I live in a 3 story townhouse, so technically, the antenna would be 4 stories up.
If you really mean 4 stories, stacked - not a split level - that's about 40 feet, plus about 4 - 6' attic height. I bet you'd do pretty well with an attic antenna. I did it in a College Park, MD 2 story home, with nothing but bare wire, and no amps. I just took a 50' coax antenna cable (between $5 and $10), and stripped the cable end, insulation and ground shield off one almost roof-length end, and ran it near the top-of-roof line, over the struts. I played a bit with placement. No amp or mounting hardware needed, and a trial with a top quality amp provided absolutely no benefit, but I only ran it down to the top story - using about half the cable unstripped. A lot cheaper than a roof-top antenna, and it's almost omni-directional, so it doesn't need to be turned. I get over 50 channels, counting sub-channels.

But maybe if you split it 4 ways, and run one line down to the bottom, you do need an amplified splitter... Also, College Park is in the DC - Baltimore line, which might yield more channels than where you are.

If your guy does mount a roof-top antenna, talk to him about mounting the antenna offset from the roof, and running the ground line vertically straight down to the ground, without a bend. Otherwise, as best as I can find out, you are be high enough up to attract lightning. In theory that's the way all rooftop antennas should be done, so says my electrician - but most antenna installers put the antenna over the roof itself, and put bends in the wire, which lightning often doesn't follow. Even a minor strike could take out everything electronic. Also, some run the electrical ground through metal plumbing pipes in the home instead of using a separate offset line: a plumber told me that messes up plumbing lines in the long run, and is a terrible idea.
post #14343 of 14352 Unread 07-09-2016, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 143
The new CM-7777HD Amplify has adjusable gain, either 17 db or 30db. So that would probably be a good choice, as well as the built in LTE filter. The other 7777 preamp has a fixed gain of 30db which would overpower and cause signal disruption. It is a bit confusing since they keep using the same model number for different products, going back to the original 7777 with the dual inputs. Or you could manage with the CM-7778 with 16db gain, or the Clearstream Juice amp with 19db gain and has good overload protection. But if you go with a distribution amp, then the Channel Master or PCT versions are good choices. And as suggested you could probably receive both DC and Baltimore signals with the right set up.
post #14344 of 14352 Unread 07-10-2016, 03:31 PM

Liked: 10
MRG1 - I was only trying to say that because the antenna is going on the roof, it is going above the 3rd floor. My installer put it on the roof. I thought about mounting it on the side of the house (mainly because I didn't want to put more holes in the roof) but that was not possible.

tylerSC - The installer used the CM-7777HD and set the gain to low. He thought I might be better off without the 4-way amplified splitter and I think he is right.

He didn't spend a lot of time pointing the antenna. As a matter of fact, he guesstimated the general direction for DC and pointed the antenna in that direction. My Tivo was pulling in 67 channels with my 2nd floor mounted CM-4221 but now with the roof mounted HD-7694P, I'm getting 75 channels. I think the extra 8 channels is a bit misleading because they a likely on the hair edge and not very watchable. The major networks are coming in strong. NBC (4.1) at 100% on some of my TVs while the problem child, CBS (9.1) at 93%. I'm not sure if the LTE filter is really making a difference because I have not used this antenna without the filter. I have struggled with multipath using the CM-4221 so my theory/hope is that using a directional antenna will minimize impact of the reflected paths. It's too early to call. I have to watch for a while to determine if this still an issue.

Thanks everyone for your feedback and suggestions
post #14345 of 14352 Unread 07-11-2016, 09:04 PM

Liked: 15
75 channels OTA sounds great! Especially if you are talking 90% and above good reception, which is all I was counting.

Yeah, we all know the channels duplicate each other a lot. But a lot of local stations don't duplicate each other in the morning, even if they are part of the same network.

One great thing about the TIVO boxes - you get to see programs scheduled on other-than sub-channel 1, which is what generally appears on listing websites. However, if you look for a frequent category like "science fiction", TIVO stops looking after 2 - 3 days into the future, because it can't handle too many listings. It does help to uncheck all but one channel from each network - though that kills getting the local programs. It also helps to exclude program names you don't want in your Wishlist searches - e.g., all those old "Star Trek" reruns that you've seen a million times before. That way you might get 3 - 4 days into the future (for sci-fi).

Too bad the TIVO box doesn't know how to point your antenna, or to use multiple antenna inputs. I'm pretty sure a smarter DVR that could take advantage of an "array antenna" (an array of dipoles, whose signals are adaptively added with weightings and time delays designed to simulate a directional antenna) could eliminate almost all multi-path interference, and distinguish a lot more channels clearly. But I'm not sure they exist. Almost no one worries about OTA anymore, because we are all supposed to pay $200 - $300 / month for cable or satellite.

Sorry you couldn't put the antenna on the side of the house. Oh well, roof-top is what almost everyone does. Maybe it isn't too bad. If you tell all your neighbors to try the same thing, maybe the lightning will hit their antenna instead. And I hope your installer used a lightning arrester, or equivalent.

Last edited by MRG1; 07-11-2016 at 09:10 PM.
post #14346 of 14352 Unread 07-14-2016, 02:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Anyone else noticing that with WBAL, the audio and video are slightly out-of-sync?
post #14347 of 14352 Unread 07-14-2016, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by carltonrice View Post
Anyone else noticing that with WBAL, the audio and video are slightly out-of-sync?
I caught a few minutes of local news and thought it might have been off a little, but the Today Show seems synced up OK.
post #14348 of 14352 Unread 07-17-2016, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Heroes and Icons, 20-3, just this minute started going bonkers, with green bursts across the screen and audio interruptions as well. 20-1 and 20-2 remain rock solid.
post #14349 of 14352 Unread 07-17-2016, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntAltMike View Post
Heroes and Icons, 20-3, just this minute started going bonkers, with green bursts across the screen and audio interruptions as well. 20-1 and 20-2 remain rock solid.
It is back to normal. The Commish is on. Because I surfed off the channel, I do not know if the problem ended with the conclusion of NYPD Blue or if it was otherwise simply repaired.
post #14350 of 14352 Unread 07-19-2016, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Rockford Files pilot episode, Backlash of the Hunter, part 2 guest starring Lindsay Wagner is on 13.2 Decades. Parts 1 will be rebroadcast at 9:00 PM, followed by part 2 at 10:00 PM

Noah Beery is not Rocky. I don't recognize the guy who is. A Robert Donley.

I don't know whether that can be posted in HDTV programming, because it isn't. HD. Decades is formatted 480i widescreen, but I assume the episodes are in 3x4.

The six hour block begins with James Garner's Dick Cavett interview and his pilot is followed by three of his appearances on Cheyenne, including the 1955 pilot of that show, which was Garner's first credited TV appearance.

Last edited by AntAltMike; 07-19-2016 at 02:20 PM.
post #14351 of 14352 Unread 07-24-2016, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntAltMike

Quote:
It is back to normal. The Commish is on. Because I surfed off the channel, I do not know if the problem ended with the conclusion of NYPD Blue or if it was otherwise simply repaired.
And now, tonight at between 7:30 and 8:PM, it is sporadically doing it again, during Have Gun Will Travel as well as during some commercials. It just stopped a few minutes ago, so I hope to doesn't screw up my evening Star Trek viewing.
post #14352 of 14352 Unread 07-24-2016, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 40
Quote:
And now, tonight at between 7:30 and 8:PM, it is sporadically doing it again, during Have Gun Will Travel as well as during some commercials. It just stopped a few minutes ago, so I hope to doesn't screw up my evening Star Trek viewing.
Spoiler --

Spoiler!

R. Aster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception