Washington, DC / Baltimore, MD - HDTV - Page 482 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 47Likes

post #14431 of 14451 Old 03-02-2017, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory21 View Post
Anyone know the MeTv/Charge! story on WJAL? The station's wikipedia article says the change has been made, but MeTV remains on the air and now channel listings (e.g., zap2it) are showing MeTV again. It looks like the original launch was around March 11, 2013, so I'm wondering if maybe they have a few days to go to run out a contract?
That's WJLA in Washington. WJAL 68.1 serves Hagerstown.

One news story I found said the transition of WJLA 7.2 from MeTV to Charge! would be "late this quarter".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14432 of 14451 Old 03-03-2017, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Article on new stations, but not DC specific

http://cordcuttersnews.com/three-new...ntly-launched/
post #14433 of 14451 Old 03-04-2017, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone else hear static-filled audio on H&I: 20.3
It started Friday & continues...
20.1 is OK.

post #14434 of 14451 Old 03-05-2017, 04:57 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Yes, I heard the static on 20.3 H&I last night.
post #14435 of 14451 Old 03-05-2017, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
FCC Repacking of Channels

Anyone know what local Baltimore/Washington stations will be affected by the FCC's repacking of frequencies. I'm guess that the higher UHF stations will be moving their frequencies. That would include presumably channels 4, 50, 42, etc.
post #14436 of 14451 Old 03-06-2017, 05:47 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
hi i just bought a indoor antenna from amazon that had a 25 mile distance. I live in chantilly VA and cheked and found that the towers were around 22 miles away from me. I couldnt get any of the major networks and could only get channels 30 and above.

If i bought a 50 mile antenna would i be able to get the vhf channels like abc, nbc etc..

Thank you very much.
post #14437 of 14451 Old 03-06-2017, 07:09 AM

Go to TV Fool and make a report using the following directions: http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=14508

In Chantilly chances are that a small indoor antenna is only going to give you a full channel. You will likely need a larger antenna (like the Antennas Direct C2V or something of that size). Mounted in attic, closet or (best) on the roof.

What is the brand and model number of the antenna you tried?
post #14438 of 14451 Old 03-06-2017, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake V View Post
Go to TV Fool and make a report using the following directions: http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=14508

In Chantilly chances are that a small indoor antenna is only going to give you a full channel. You will likely need a larger antenna (like the Antennas Direct C2V or something of that size). Mounted in attic, closet or (best) on the roof.

What is the brand and model number of the antenna you tried?
Thanks for the reply. here is the report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a4b8b9aecbb1

Also i tried the 1byone 25 mile antenna as well as the winegard 50m

https://www.amazon.com/Winegard-Flat...ds=winegard+50

https://www.amazon.com/1byone-Amplif...2Bantenna&th=1

The winegard with the 50m range did give me one or 2 major networks (nbc and fox)

is there any hope for me to try with other indoor antennas. Outdoor is really not an option. Thank you.
post #14439 of 14451 Old 03-07-2017, 04:49 AM

Neither of the antennas you linked are appropriate for your situation. At best they will give you a few channels. [I am assuming that you 'aimed' the flat side towards the east and placed it as high on the wall as you could, and not in front of a window with a metal screen or e-glass which blocks the signals.]

Your TV Fool Report includes a message that it is only approximate. If you did not enter your exact address and move the cursor over your actual house then it may or may not be accurate. Just to be sure, you might wish to re-do it with the instructions in the link I posted above. Drag the little red cursor and place it over your actual house (use "Satellite View" at the top left and the "+-" buttons at the bottom right to help place the cursor at the exact spot). Then make and post a new link. This is important because if there is a small hill to the east of you then you may have much less signal to work with.

If your new TV Fool report looks anything like the one you posted you can probably use an antenna like the Antennas Direct C2V aimed at about 94 degrees (using a magnetic compass). Your results will depend on what is between you and the east. Another house or building in the vision of the antenna looking east will block the signals. Some people have great results placing it a closet near the television (it's not tiny at 18"L x 35.5"W x 5"D). Most people in your area, however, need to place it higher (attic or rooftop). Attic installations may or may not work, depending on your house construction (i.e., brick, stucco, house-wrap with metal, certain roofing types can block the signal). So if you're going to try an attic installation it's best to just run a cable from the antenna down into the hall while you patiently find a good spot through trial and error (before mounting anything). -- But having said that I'd first assembly the antenna and try it with a short length of coax and experiment with it next to the TV having it face east.
post #14440 of 14451 Old 03-07-2017, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by carltonrice View Post
Anyone know what local Baltimore/Washington stations will be affected by the FCC's repacking of frequencies. I'm guess that the higher UHF stations will be moving their frequencies. That would include presumably channels 4, 50, 42, etc.
Reportedly channels 38 and above have been required to move. And certain lower channels may also move to help make room for some of the other channels being repacked. The FCC is expected to release this information at the end of the month or early in April.
post #14441 of 14451 Old 03-07-2017, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgieg View Post
hi i just bought a indoor antenna from amazon that had a 25 mile distance. I live in chantilly VA and cheked and found that the towers were around 22 miles away from me. I couldnt get any of the major networks and could only get channels 30 and above.

If i bought a 50 mile antenna would i be able to get the vhf channels like abc, nbc etc..

Thank you very much.
Those Leaf style flat antennas can be problematic and have certain limitations. In some cases they work; others they don't. For convenience, I would say go to Best Buy and try a Clearstream 4V antenna, and stop by Home Depot and pick up a Winegard LNA200 preamp. Otherwise, check out MCM online for inexpensive antenna options.

As for indoor antennas, I have always had good luck with the Terk HDTVa sold at HHG or Amazon. Now called LOGTVa antenna.
post #14442 of 14451 Old 03-07-2017, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I second the recommendation for one of the Antennas Direct models. I was able to get an open box C2V at Best Buy for half price at $50. One of the best purchases I ever made!
post #14443 of 14451 Old 03-07-2017, 10:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Reportedly channels 38 and above have been required to move. And certain lower channels may also move to help make room for some of the other channels being repacked. The FCC is expected to release this information at the end of the month or early in April.
So that would include:

Baltimore - WMAR (38), WNUV (40), WBFF (46), WUTB (41), WMPT (42)

Washington, DC - WDCW (50), WRC (48)

Will be interesting to see where they end up.
post #14444 of 14451 Old 03-09-2017, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
channels 38 and above have been required to move. And certain lower channels may also move to help make room for some of the other channels being repacked.
Early indications are that many, if not most, lower channels are also moving.

All six MPT channels are moving, for instance: 42 to 31, 44 to 29, 29 to 22, 28 to 21 (both), and 36 to 26.

We don't know yet about any other area stations, but we're 6 for 6 moving on the ones we know.

And it appears co- and adjacent channel short spacing is being preserved, which is not good.

. . . . .

Meanwhile, TRT World is up (finally) on 30-2 (RF 24), so maybe that means MHz channels will be staying around?
post #14445 of 14451 Old 03-09-2017, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

TRT World means we'll now get to hear one side of the Turkish situation, which at least is one more side than I know about right now.

"War is God's way of teaching us geography"
- Comedian Paul Rodriguez, 1987 (commonly misattributed to Ambrose Bierce)

I guess WNVC is viable as long as several tenants will pay for their subchannels. Russia Today can afford theirs, as Putin is richer than Trump, for now anyway, though he did throw in the towel with the Spanish version on 30.8. I never knew why they didn't/don't just use SAP for Spanish on 30.4. ¡Nosotros te enterraremos!

Africa Today is painful to watch. I'd rather have to live the Clockwork Orange indoctrination scene... or watch my uncle Eli's 8mm Bell and Howell home movies from the 1950s. France 24 and Deutsche Welle are more palatable and professional, but I have to think that the broadcast audience is now so minuscule that improving their broadcast reception in this market is virtually irrelevant to their operating decisions, as it may be that being on that inconvenient Goldvein tower adequately serves their purpose of forcing inclusion into some Washington DC market cable systems.

Last edited by AntAltMike; 03-09-2017 at 09:32 AM.
post #14446 of 14451 Old 03-15-2017, 03:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by carltonrice View Post
So that would include:

Baltimore - WMAR (38), WNUV (40), WBFF (46), WUTB (41), WMPT (42)

Washington, DC - WDCW (50), WRC (48)

Will be interesting to see where they end up.
Per http://www.nab.org/repacking/clearinghouse.asp:

Baltimore/Annapolis:

In transition phase 4: 29 to 22, 38 to 27, 40 to 25, 42 to 31, 46 to 26

In transition phase 9: 11 to 12, 13 to 11

No info re WUTB (41)

No DC info except 7 staying on 7.

There is some nonsensical info on this site re other markets, so take all this with a grain of salt.

- - -

Per phone call to WETA, they "did not participate" in auction, so presumably are staying on UHF, but they also told me they would be staying on 27, which cannot happen if WMAR moves there, so...

Last edited by joblo; 03-15-2017 at 04:21 AM.
post #14447 of 14451 Old 03-21-2017, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntAltMike View Post
One news story I found said the transition of WJLA 7.2 from MeTV to Charge! would be "late this quarter".
zap2it.com schedule is now showing the changeover at 6 am on March 28. It's been wrong once before, of course.
post #14448 of 14451 Old 03-21-2017, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory21 View Post
...It's been wrong once before, of course.
I was wrong once, too. I thought I had made a mistake...but I hadn't.
post #14449 of 14451 Old Yesterday, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake V View Post
Yes, I heard the static on 20.3 H&I last night.
And for the last 2 days, it's been broken up video. Not the pixelization of below the threshold RF level, but a "Boy is our encoder hosed" or "We're only getting half the bits we need" display. (Besides, 20.1 & .2 are fine here...)

Anyone else suffering?
post #14450 of 14451 Old Yesterday, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfs View Post
And for the last 2 days, it's been broken up video. Not the pixelization of below the threshold RF level, but a "Boy is our encoder hosed" or "We're only getting half the bits we need" display. (Besides, 20.1 & .2 are fine here...)

Anyone else suffering?
Symptom not observed here, and I'm temporarily connected to an antenna misaimed by about 100 degrees, and getting a multipath signal component off Byrd Stadium Maryland Stadium, to boot. Can you hook up another tuner to that antenna and see if it exhibits the same symptom?
post #14451 of 14451 Old Yesterday, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntAltMike View Post
Symptom not observed here, and I'm temporarily connected to an antenna misaimed by about 100 degrees, and getting a multipath signal component off Byrd Stadium Maryland Stadium, to boot. Can you hook up another tuner to that antenna and see if it exhibits the same symptom?
Only one set here but I'll try a CECB some time. How could weak signals not also afflict 20.1 & 20.2 as well?

Oh, and it was not an issue at 9pm for ST:NG but was at 11 for Voyager.

Last edited by mkfs; Yesterday at 10:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page